PDA

View Full Version : AotI It's Been A Week -- What's Your Thoughts On The PA Re-balance?

Brainwrecked
Jun 13, 2008, 03:24 AM
I'll put my two cents in and say fighters got off easy. I never really had a problem leveling up a striking PA with my main character, except for Absolute Dance. Instead of an across-the-board boost for striking PA's, only certain PA's -- like the aforementioned AD -- should have got a boost. Leave the techers with a 2x boost and gunners at a 3x boost -- the boost seems proportional to the difficulty I've had in leveling those types of PA with my alts in comparison to my main and striking PA's.

pikachief
Jun 13, 2008, 03:24 AM
i like it! it gives me an excuse to lvl up bullets which is what i've been doing, and my spells level up so much easier, so its a lot less painstaking :P

Arada
Jun 13, 2008, 03:45 AM
I think it's great.

Probably the best effect of that PA rebalance is that we actually see gunners now. So there's a lot more diversity in the teams and it makes the game more enjoyable overall.

Yes, we can argue that the melee PAs level too fast now but as long as people enjoy the game more, then, to me, it's a success.

thunder-ray
Jun 13, 2008, 03:47 AM
I like it as well less time i need to put in to lvl my techs and bullets.

C457 24N632
Jun 13, 2008, 03:59 AM
I'm sorry all you lazy fighters out there, but the Skills just level WAY too fast now. I tried it out on a few and got them over 20 before I had really even learned to use them properly. One day and it's over 20?? Too fast.

Techs seem fine to me, but certain Bullets just get turbo charged beyond belief. Buy a fresh bullet and strap it to an A grade Kubara Grenade Launcher as you fight an S2 level dragon. You'll see what I mean.

Alastor_Haven
Jun 13, 2008, 04:05 AM
Too fast

Too Slow

Too Fast

Less QQ

But yes I love this update

The_Gio
Jun 13, 2008, 04:05 AM
It sucks that it makes me a not so great gunner anymore,but makes my other 2 characters easier to build. Its alright....I guess, I prefer the old way since it would should show how dedicated you are with your character. But aside from that its not that bad

R2D6battlebot
Jun 13, 2008, 04:12 AM
Just makes it that much faster for people to get bored and reduce the overall population.

Dragwind
Jun 13, 2008, 04:40 AM
I've liked it. I just have a problem of not knowing when to stop, haha. I'm currently working on capping every art that a Wartecher can touch, and thats a lot, so this has been keeping me busy.

After thats done (about 60% thus far) then its time to go back to Fortegunner after a long wait.

RadiantLegend
Jun 13, 2008, 06:12 AM
Could be faster?

I think its just right. if you get bored fast, play another game.

Neith
Jun 13, 2008, 06:34 AM
It's fine as is. Gunners are now more accessible to casual players, and I don't have to spend hours on end leveling techs, which in my book is a good thing.

Jakosifer
Jun 13, 2008, 06:47 AM
I think it's great.

Probably the best effect of that PA rebalance is that we actually see gunners now. So there's a lot more diversity in the teams and it makes the game more enjoyable overall.

Yes, we can argue that the melee PAs level too fast now but as long as people enjoy the game more, then, to me, it's a success.

This pretty much sums up my feelings on it.

redroses
Jun 13, 2008, 06:50 AM
I am very happy with this update. Of course a lot of skill PA's didn't need it (lolWhip).
But now I have the time to play a Gunner and I am having so much! I just don't usually have the time or want to play the whole day and if I play a play together with my fiance or friends. I hate playing alone, so going in some cave and leveling bullets before they become effective would've never worked for me. I like how they seem to level normally while playing missions and I personally think it should've been that way from beginning.

And I don't like when people say that by the old way you could see how dedicated people were >_<. That's ok if you have the time and don't play other games. But others just can't do that and I'm pretty sure that, like said a lot of people don't want to play alone in some missions for hours just to become efective.

darkante
Jun 13, 2008, 07:14 AM
It is very kickass. Made me very much go as my alt character for once, to level bullets through him while i level him up on the White Beast which suprisenly hasnīt bored me yet like it did much before lol. (Love Inferno Hunt example)
I have a Fortegunner already though on my main, but i couldnīt resist to have it on my alt also. ^^

Papasmurfette
Jun 13, 2008, 07:22 AM
I, as probably a good few others, play this game as a good pick-up-and-play side game and this update has really made it far more viable to play as ranger and tech classes. Previously playing as ranger i got one rifle bullet to 11, which drove me to never use rifles again beside for killer shot. With Techs it mean if i wanted to see improvements i had to focus on one spell and where is the fun in that?

All in all, big thumbs up from me.

Cracka_J
Jun 13, 2008, 08:08 AM
Really enjoy it. If this patch had initially been in AOI, a lot more people may have got into it at that point. It feels like things level naturally now, without the stress of running 100x SW runs to get 1 barta level. This is a fast paced, pick up and play, arcadey type game anyway...you should be able to get into the game and level pretty much everything you want to fairly easily. The time investment should come trying to find those good equips for your chars anyway, not from investing 200 hours to level a line tech. Coming from someone with 95% of their tech PA's capped before the update, the PA rebalance is the best thing they could have done to PSU at this point. I'm looking to finally PA cap my techer this weekend, so I couldn't be happier.

And IMO, the PA rebalance for each style of play kinda balances itself out. Each class plays differently, and should have different risks/rewards for the style of play. In example:

Melee PA's: lvl extremely fast now, mostly suited for up close/fighter classes. Those classes have a higher risk of damage from the enemy, but now benefit the most from PA exp.

Tech PA's: lvl moderately fast, suited for techer type classes. Variety of ranges, do not have to force yourself to fight on the front lines. Moderate exp for moderate risk.

Bullet PA's: still the largest time investment, suited for ranger type classes. Mostly suited for long range, assist/non-direct attacking. Works best at long range, no need for up close fighting besides concentrated shotgun fire. Low PA exp for low risk classes.

How is that not an attempt to balance out the classes? Despite all the bs and delays, this was definitely one update worth waiting for.

mvffin
Jun 13, 2008, 08:19 AM
I have a stack of unplayed/unfinished games waiting on me. Once I get most of my bullets and techs to 31+, I'll have that sense of completion, and I can play other games inbetween events, new missions, and updates.

= D

Frozensword
Jun 13, 2008, 08:42 AM
Everybody says fighters have it easy now. I agree and I love it. All I used was Dus Majjaro which I already had at 40 because it was the strongest but I didnt feel like taking the time to level the other striking photon arts. Everybody made fun of me for that, but now it takes just about a day to level one to 40. I love it. I am not dissing the others because I have a gunner and sometimes I feel like teching. I just like it easier to level my striking photon arts.

Indica
Jun 13, 2008, 09:55 AM
I love the bullet update, im happy with that.

Megiverse is still a bitch to LV. Took me almost an hour to get from LV27 to LV28 and I was using a Cast Foretecher LV1 with several Pumpkin Rods.

unicorn
Jun 13, 2008, 11:15 AM
The patch pwns.

Melee lvls too fast though.

Bullets aren't the hardest thing to lvl anymore. Its nice.

Techs are quicker, but I think they're a bit slower than bullets now (bullets recieved a x3 boost, and techs got a x2).

Brainwrecked
Jun 13, 2008, 11:53 AM
It sucks that it makes me a not so great gunner anymore...

[T]he old way...would should show how dedicated you are with your character. But aside from that its not that bad.

Just makes it that much faster for people to get bored and reduce the overall population.

These points bring up a quibble that I have with PSU in general: Some stuff takes way too much dedication to achieve. My friend has been hunting a Psycho Wand since it became available as a drop. Just 2 or 3 days ago, he finally got it.

That's insane. So is my having a lv100+ gunner alt with bullet PAs just cracking lv11. Granted, the Winter Event and MAG are largely responsible for that, with their large amount of EXP and MP per mission. But how does this allow me to make an effective gunner when bullet PAs are so damn hard to level? I could understand if all my PA's were at or almost at lv21, but lv11?

There's a line between working hard and being masochistic, and PSU always seemed to push you to the latter if you wanted something good. I still want to see people put some work into it, that's all. But with the realization that you can't satisfy all the people all the time, I'll take the re-balance over nothing. Rectifying the leveling of bullet and tech PAs outweighs the over-leveling of striking PA's.

Probably the best effect of that PA rebalance is that we actually see gunners now.

Here here.

Kylie
Jun 13, 2008, 11:58 AM
Some things broken + fixing everything the same =/= balancing

That said, I think it's better than nothing, but it would have been nice if they just fixed stuff as much as they needed to for each whatever. Instead of: "Hey, absolute dance takes too long to level, so let's make majarra level twice as fast too!" :roll: However, I am enjoying what is good about this.

Hyda
Jun 13, 2008, 12:15 PM
I have no complaints, so far everything looks ok.

Omega_Weltall
Jun 13, 2008, 01:59 PM
i tip my hat(if i wore hats) to the people who got their bullet and tech PA's to 31+ before the re balance. With the amount of time i play and my impatience, most of my PA's weren't going over lv 20 and these are the ones I've had since the 1st month PSU was released. I JUST got Foi to lv 21 a couple days ago

Starrz
Jun 13, 2008, 02:23 PM
Something to think about:

There are 42 melee PAs, but only 23 attack technics.

To level them all to max, takes about the same time, which is probably why they both got the same boost.

SonicTMP
Jun 13, 2008, 02:29 PM
So much to level still. The boost is nice. Good for new peopel to pace it with levleing but you're still gonna grind somewhat if you hadn't before the boost. I've got a long long list of melee to work on.

stukasa
Jun 13, 2008, 02:50 PM
Some melee PAs level too fast now but the boost to bullets and techs is much appreciated. <3

I have one techer, one gunner and one fighter so that's a LOT of PAs to level! It seemed like an impossible task before but it's actually more enjoyable now.

Mikura
Jun 13, 2008, 03:07 PM
Loving it so far. I'm playing the hell out of my gunner, which I didn't before because the slow lvling PAs turned me off to the idea, and I'm enjoying it immensely. Don't know about the rest of you, but I have a lot more fun when I feel like I can make adequate progress within a few hours of gaming.

Hiero_Glyph
Jun 13, 2008, 07:39 PM
Something to think about:

There are 42 melee PAs, but only 23 attack technics.

To level them all to max, takes about the same time, which is probably why they both got the same boost.

This is an extremely biased comparison. First, most classes cannot use all 42 skill PAs but a techer has access to all 23 attack technics and all 11 of the support technics as well. Also note that the maximum PA level will vary as well so this further complicates things.

So for example, a FF has access to 11 melee weapons and a total of 36 skill PAs while a FT/AT/GT/WT and FO all have access to 23 attack technics and 11 support technics in addition to their various skill and bullet PAs. So even with a slight edge on the total number of PAs, the FF can max all of their PAs in a fraction of the time it takes the techer to max just the 23 attack technics.

In response to your comment I would say that no, they do note take the same amount of time to level them all to the maximum level. I would further say that you could reach the maximum level (40) on a FF with all skill 36 PAs in less time than an AT can reach the maximum level (30) with just their 23 attack technics.

Starrz
Jun 13, 2008, 08:11 PM
Except this isn't a class by class issue.

Regardless of what classes can use what PAs, it's not a factor.

Also kind of funny how I can name more people who have maxed all the Bullets, and maxed TECHNICs than I can name people who have maxed Skills.

unicorn
Jun 13, 2008, 08:32 PM
Starrz plays mainly FF.

Thats all I know.

Shou
Jun 13, 2008, 08:55 PM
The patch pwns.

Melee lvls too fast though.

Bullets aren't the hardest thing to lvl anymore. Its nice.

Techs are quicker, but I think they're a bit slower than bullets now (bullets recieved a x3 boost, and techs got a x2).

This.

Hiero_Glyph
Jun 13, 2008, 08:55 PM
Except this isn't a class by class issue.

Regardless of what classes can use what PAs, it's not a factor.

Also kind of funny how I can name more people who have maxed all the Bullets, and maxed TECHNICs than I can name people who have maxed Skills.

Fine, I will make blanket statements without designating a specific class. No one has access to all 42 skill PAs. Every techer has access to all 23 attack and 11 support technics. So even without stating a class by class comparison your original statement is entirely flawed.

I think my favorite new part is how you say that you do not know many players that have a versatile list of skill PAs capped, yet you can do the same for bullets and technics. So although you intended to support your case you actually halped mine instead. What this means is that fighters use a limited number of skill PAs while gunners and techers require a much more versatile list of PAs in order to be effective in combat.

Bottom line is that you need 6-10 skill PAs (Jabroga and Majarra included) to be dominant in combat versus 20+ PAs as a gunner or techer. So a new player can easily max enough skill PAs in a few days to become a formidable fighter versus taking weeks or months to become an average gunner/techer.

Starrz
Jun 13, 2008, 09:12 PM
I think you're getting confused. I'm not referring to classes at all. I'm referring to all skills, and the attack TECHNICs.

The update gave (approx.) 2x leveling speed to all skills and TECHNICs.

I make the distinction between attack TECHNICs, because they are more important than support TECHNICs in that you need to them beat missions and get exp. You can not do this with support technics.

So while most individual skill levels faster than most individual TECHNICs, there are a lot more skills. Almost twice as many.

Sio
Jun 13, 2008, 09:23 PM
I haven't noticed much of a speed boost for my melee and tech PA's tbh. Bullets are flying though. Perhapes it was a placebo for everyone to believe. hahahahah..... (Mind you all my melee PA's are past 21 (all of the melee PA's in the game just about, aswell as all techs past 31 befor patch...so Im abit behind in noticing the boost)

Hiero_Glyph
Jun 13, 2008, 09:49 PM
I think you're getting confused. I'm not referring to classes at all. I'm referring to all skills, and the attack TECHNICs.

The update gave (approx.) 2x leveling speed to all skills and TECHNICs.

I make the distinction between attack TECHNICs, because they are more important than support TECHNICs in that you need to them beat missions and get exp. You can not do this with support technics.

So while most individual skill levels faster than most individual TECHNICs, there are a lot more skills. Almost twice as many.

The twist to what you are saying is that, once again, a fighter does not have access to or need all 42 skill PAs. So to compare them solely based on quantity is not fair either as the numbers are inaccurate until your quantify them based upon class.

What would be a good comparison is to take the slowest skill PAs and see how long they take to reach the maximum level versus the fastest attack technics PAs. I would still put money that Absolute Dance would take less time to reach the maximum level as compared to Foie or Diga.

The Fortefighter has access to the most skill PAs and that is only 36 so please stop using this mythical 42 number as no class can actually use all 42 skill PAs. Also, just because a support technic does not level the same way as an attack technic does not mean that it should not be included in the total because a techer still needs to level it. I spent roughly 20 hours getting my buffs up to level 31+ on my AT. This is time that a fighter can use to level their skill PAs so they should be included in the comparison as they do take time to level regardless of the method used.

Starrz
Jun 13, 2008, 10:01 PM
You're still misunderstanding. :[

The update was for all PAs, not for specific types. Until that becomes clear it's pointless to continue.

RemiusTA
Jun 13, 2008, 10:46 PM

personally i believe spamming shit for days on end to gain 12% is far more boring.

What the hell is with you people?

tihoa
Jun 13, 2008, 10:57 PM
i think techers still need a bit of a boost. certain offensive techs are still painful to level. bullets and weapon skills are fine though.

Hiero_Glyph
Jun 13, 2008, 11:26 PM
You're still misunderstanding. :[

The update was for all PAs, not for specific types. Until that becomes clear it's pointless to continue.

Exactly! So let's assume that the difference between the skill and technic PAs remained exactly the same even after the update as they both got the x2 update. You are saying that there are 42 skill PAs and only 23 attack technic ones. Skill PAs level faster than technic PAs, period. So even despite the fact that there are close to twice as many skill PAs to attack technics, the skill PAs will still level much faster.

Try it, take a level 1 skill PA and see how long it takes to level up to 11. Then do the same for an attack technic PA. The results will be staggering and you will quickly realize that there could be 10x as many skill PAs to attack technic PAs for it to actually require the same amount of time to level every PA. Also note that for every Absolute Dance there is a Megid, Barta, Zonde, and Megiverse.

Zorafim
Jun 14, 2008, 01:29 AM
I'm rather sad that the boost was an overall boost, as opposed to a boost per weapon. I'm working on getting up my PAs to level gunmaster, and I've noticed shotgun levels like a bulldozer, while lasers take much longer to get somewhere. I'd say there's about a 2x, perhaps now a 3x difference in leveling speed between the two.
Also, I haven't worked on skills, but I'm sure those are really easy now.

pikachief
Jun 14, 2008, 11:20 PM
Im glad they did a boost at all in PAs. it was not good having to check people's PAs because weapons are so easy to come by and people leveled up so fast in events now.

I've seen lvl 100+ techers with 1 or 2 PAs past 21! thats it! i've seen a lvl 80 techer with 1 PA past 21, 1 past 11 and all the others UNDER 11! it was sad.

hopefully this boost will help balance out the PA levels with Character levels

LuigiMario
Jun 15, 2008, 01:51 AM
Im glad they did a boost at all in PAs. it was not good having to check people's PAs because weapons are so easy to come by and people leveled up so fast in events now.

I've seen lvl 100+ techers with 1 or 2 PAs past 21! thats it! i've seen a lvl 80 techer with 1 PA past 21, 1 past 11 and all the others UNDER 11! it was sad.

hopefully this boost will help balance out the PA levels with Character levels

Username Kan Yu

Weapons 10/10 Psycho Wand Tesbra Unransara, etc.

PAs None over 21

LV 75.

Sad.

Vent
Jun 15, 2008, 03:09 AM
Username Kan Yu

Weapons 10/10 Psycho Wand Tesbra Unransara, etc.

PAs None over 21

LV 75.

Sad.

Nothing wrong with that, maybe he started an alt and had his friends leveled him? It's not good to judge a person by their PA levels.

Mikura
Jun 15, 2008, 03:32 AM
I agree with Vent. Sega's been giving us so much exp lately during these events, people are bound to fall behind on their PAs in comparison to their character lvl. Especially if it's an alt, which I'm sure is where you're seeing most of your high lvl/underlvled PA players.

Iduno
Jun 15, 2008, 08:06 AM
I think sometimes the PA boost really can be too much and it should have been per PA instead of a blanket increase since some PAs just level insanely fast now.