PDA

View Full Version : AotI How would u rate AOtI compared to PSU V.1 ?

HyperShot-X-
Jun 13, 2008, 07:30 PM
This poll is only for ppl who's been playing PSU online prior to AotI release since last year upto the current update.

Let's just say you gave PSU original prior to AotI release overall game rating of 6.0 out of 10.0, the lowest score it can deserve. How would you rate current PSU AotI online overall in comparison?

State your reason for the score you give briefly if you can.

System-Id
Jun 13, 2008, 07:32 PM
hmmmmm i gib 7/10 back then there was WAYYYY more players it was much funner spammin plains overlord for Mp and but i like some new features but back then it was much fun ^^; good memories ^^;

Yuudai_Riisu
Jun 13, 2008, 07:33 PM
How can you compare PSU V.1 to Aoti, you heretic!

I give Aoti 10.0/10.0

Dhylec
Jun 13, 2008, 07:35 PM
Don't let the PSO nostalgia confuses ya, but I think they are too different of a game to compare.

Let me correct this. ;3
The expansion has a large amount of changes/updates that made the original PSU looks & feels like a paid beta. It's like a different game now.

A good analogy I can come up with is: PSU was a small b/w TV, AoI is a big color TV. Unfortunately, it's not a hi-def TV. ;]

Rayokarna
Jun 13, 2008, 07:37 PM
I refuse to score it because I see PSU V1 as still an incomplete game and AOI ain't much better in those terms.

Criss
Jun 13, 2008, 07:38 PM
Basic PSU had content worthy of a demo, with many flaws in gameplay.

Aoti has fixed a lot of issues with gameplay and easily doubled the content. Still, it's not a perfect game, but when compared with basic PSU, it deserves a 10.

Toguro
Jun 13, 2008, 07:44 PM
Don't let the PSO nostalgia confuses ya, but I think they are too different of a game to compare.I believe he is comparing PSU (the game we are all playing now) to AotI instead of PSO, and AotI is the main reason why I came back to this game in the first place. I stopped playing around April of last year. Shortly after AotI came out some linkshell members of mine on Final Fantasy XI were talking about how much more PSU was improved with AotI. So long story short a quick visit to PlaySega and a renewed Guardian's License brought back a Beast Fortefighter who also enjoys spending time as a fighgunner, acrofighter, ect ect :P

HyperShot-X-
Jun 13, 2008, 07:48 PM
I refuse to score it because I see PSU V1 as still an incomplete game and AOI ain't much better in those terms.

don't be scared to plz, the poll is not about scoring on the complete package never.. :)

Yuudai_Riisu
Jun 13, 2008, 07:50 PM
I refuse to score.

why not?

HienkyakuX
Jun 13, 2008, 07:52 PM
To tell you the truth if your looking for a reason to move from PSU vr1 to AotI. I think AotI is all worth it since you get all the new stuff plus the old PSU vr1 stuff. It can't be compare with the faq that PSU at one point had many more players. My advise is to go for AotI if that's what your thinking since you get mush more stuff for the same payment. I think that if many of the old PSU players from back then would play AotI for a few hours they'll be back for sure.

Ezodagrom
Jun 13, 2008, 08:01 PM
7.0...even though aoi has more content than psu, it needs more missions with monsters with higher lvls than our cap ._. (mainly the v1 missions)

Turb0
Jun 13, 2008, 08:06 PM
I said 8.0+ because although there are many things better about AOI, it has also lost pretty much any sense of a challenge. Everything dies quickly and easily now, and thanks to the drop rate increase there are very few things that are rare now. Some may be valuable, but most aren't rare. For example, pre AOI it would have pretty rare to see someone with a blackbull on their palette. Now, for every FG that you can tell is going to have a pretty good palette, you can expect them to have at least one rattlesnake. Overall, I like AOI better than PSUv1 but it's not a perfect game.

Raven5_1
Jun 13, 2008, 08:07 PM
as a stand alone? AOtI gets 7.0

in comparison to PSU V.1? 10/10

EDIT: i should be sleeping...

HyperShot-X-
Jun 13, 2008, 08:48 PM
I'd personally give AOtI 9.0+ in comparison to V.1 as it definitely deserves for all the new contents, game play balance updates, events, server managing(keeping hack/cheat free), & overall much polished feel of the game itself. I would hold back on 10/10 for all the unlocked contents & new events/updates by the end of this year or so, but it's no surprise to see some ppl gives it perfect 10/10 for the improvements over PSU V.1 :)

Mman2000
Jun 13, 2008, 09:01 PM
I came back to this game because of AotI.

10/10 because:

-The game is no longer an intense grindfest. (15 MP per mission blows when you want to make a forte char.)
-New kickass areas. (Habirao F.D. is a very fun place to run)
-Grinding doesn't destroy weapons anymore. (worst case scenario, left with ungrindable junk to feed to PM)
-I can actually use the fucking synthesis system in the game because the necessary materials actually drop.
-I don't have to save up to get a simple fucking room remodeling coupon thanks to that aforementioned drop rate increase.

In other words, the game is actually playable now. If anyone wants to say that this stuff made the game too easy or made it so it didn't take effort or dedication: please shut the fuck up and go fuck yourself with a chainsaw. This is supposed to be a game, not a job, and it's really fucking hard to enjoy playing games like this when missions are unrewarding.

Yusaku_Kudou
Jun 13, 2008, 09:07 PM
8/10 now, 7/10 before. I enjoy FFXI quite a bit more (my favorite 360 game), but I don't want to commit the time to playing that game anymore... it's a huge timesink, so I don't mind leveling up my PAs and not waiting for party invites.

Treize K
Jun 13, 2008, 09:58 PM
9.0 ^^

bLOODSAW
Jun 13, 2008, 10:20 PM
please shut the fuck up and go fuck yourself with a chainsaw.

LMAO...

But yeah i said 8.0. The game itself at its basics (Leveling and such) have improved imo, but i just want some missions where i am actually on my toes and need to really pay attention to what im doing... Something actually challenging. I shouldn't have to solo to get a challenge, as teamwork is one of the main aspects of this game.

RemiusTA
Jun 13, 2008, 10:26 PM
Rated to V1? I would say its 100% better.

However, this is coming from someone who usually has more fun Soloing vs. mobs 40 levels higher rather than demoralizing the enemies in 6 player parties. (which will be the arguement of how easy the game has become. )

If you've hit the level cap with top gear, yeah the game will be kind of lacking. But when you're like me, who actually PLAYS THE GAME, it may be a bit more fun for you. Well, more like alot.

I joined PSU at the start of Firebreak in V1, and i still dont have a Main in the 90's yet. Mostly becuase ive been spamming alts too (Lv88 Main, Lv 76 Alt.)

The main thing about PSU that ive noticed, is this.

MAINSTREAM IS NOT ALWAYS BETTER, AND DEFINATELY IS NOT MORE FUN.

White Beasts is a great mission, but no mission is going to be fun after you've played it over 20 times in one week. Hell, its not fun once you've played it 10 times in one week. Most of you people run it over 50 times a week.

I take my PM and all my best gear, and do the highest level missions i can, trying not to skip them unless i just dont like the mission. Ive come to find that this game is actually VERY diverse when it comes to most things. Duel in the Ruins and Dual Sentinel is nothing like Sleeping Warriors or Plains Overlord. They have far more complex level design, and frankly, they look 10x better.

The El Cubo mission is an AMAZING mission, but more than anything is difficult as fuck. Some of the enemies can do like 1600+ damage to me, and the Bal Soza's can almost kill me in one attack, thanks to them shooting Double Foie. The Bil De Vear's new charge-foie attack is pretty simple to avoid in 6 people parties, but play in 1-3/4 people parties and you start to see how dangerous they are when they are left alone. You people ask for Teamwork? Play the new missions. You want Edge of seat action? Solo them. First S run on that mission took about 30 scapedolls and over a couple hundred -Mates in total. I got a C rank on the end, but what the hell, that shit was damn fun.

Duel in the Ruins has pretty damn complex level design, and it looks great too. It has many of teamwork elements and is overall a pretty heated mission, espically with the De Ragnus at the end, which despite what you idiots say, is FAR more than a De Ragan Reskin. That thing is fucking huge and RETARDED powerful. (Tail Attack is almost instant kill if hit twice, Ground Stomp does around 1500-1700 damage, Elemental attacks usually hit pretty damn hard, Stream/beam attacks are almost instant kill.)

I say that if you think the game is too easy, then maybe you should stop playing in full parties with your friends that all have maxed 10/10 high tier equipment, and maybe start soloing a bit. I believe that Solo missions have enough difficulty in them for even the highest lv player.

Edit: and hell, if not SOLO, then at least dont go over 4 people. Like i said, most of the lv 1xx players on the game have no clue that most lobbies on the planets even exist.

Palle
Jun 13, 2008, 10:39 PM
Well, relative to launch, it's laughably better. 9.9 or so IMO. On its own...I wouldn't score so generously...

stukasa
Jun 13, 2008, 11:23 PM
as a stand alone? AOtI gets 7.0

in comparison to PSU V.1? 10/10
^ What he said.

AoI is so much better than v.1 in every way but it's a far from perfect game. We need harder enemies, more variety, new content (not just reskins), and better balance in a number of areas. Oh, and a team that doesn't mess up every single update. :lol:

furrypaws
Jun 13, 2008, 11:24 PM
Not comparing it to anything, 7/10. It's got its good spots. What I dislike most is how Sega constantly unbalances their missions, almost purposely it seems. It doesn't make sense that a C rank mission with level 15 creatures gives 20 something less MP than a C rank mission with level 5 creatures.

Kylie
Jun 14, 2008, 12:06 AM
Mm, compared to v1, AOI isn't much different. The only reason I'd give it a point difference in favor of v1 is because there seemed to be more of a challenge and an overall less depressing spirit back then.

PSU: 9, AOI: 8. It'd probably be lower for both of them if I was being completely honest, but I feel like being nice / biased. :D

Powder Keg
Jun 14, 2008, 02:50 AM
AOI is 1000x better. The things that needed to be changed, were changed for the most part.

Alastor_Haven
Jun 14, 2008, 02:53 AM
Gah

I miss 10 billion Grinna's coming at you in DG

I miss Horde's of mobs coming at you in DT

Other then that

AOI seems <3

Rayokarna
Jun 14, 2008, 03:52 AM
don't be scared to plz, the poll is not about scoring on the complete package never.. :)

Fine. I would give AOI a good, hard hitting number to 5 compare to the old one. The expansion got boring for me much quicker than the original and personally, there wasn't much stuff added to it at the expansions release. I can say the same thing for V1 but I wasn't around at launch so it doesn't matter. I do think this game has gotten rid of the need for a party and nerfed all of the good missions to the point where everything dies as soon as you stare at them. A few of the S2 missions should have been out at launch personally with a few of the exchange missions.

The PSO areas in AOI arn't too great either. For such a big advertising point it doesn't do to well there...

why not?

Noblewine
Jun 14, 2008, 03:20 PM
I give it an 8.0 the adjusts make it easier to make progress and finding things is more enjoyable. Though the game lacks variety in certain areas of the game I enjoy it.

zanotam
Jun 14, 2008, 03:31 PM
It's better, but it's also free!

HyperShot-X-
Jun 14, 2008, 11:10 PM
About the argument of AOtI making the game too easy, I'm all for setting up your own challenge as it was meant to make the game more enjoyable. You are making it too easy by putting yourself in a full party with maxed out lvls & stats. The game being designed for upto 6 ppl in a party doesn't necessarily mean that you have to be in a full party at all times to make the most fun out of it. But a full party does have its specific advantage when you go for PA frags, rare boss drops & rewards.

The game is more fun & challenging in a smaller group of 2 or 3 with your buddies and even soloing is quite enjoyable occasionally. 4 ppl is ideal for group missions like Her Secret mission, 5 ppl for Bruce mission. The real challenge in these group missions is not just about completing the mission successfully but more about how fast can your group beat it which is quite similar to the old school c-mode time attack from PSO.
Managing your own list of group of friends and setting up your own challenge as well as being flexible in raising & managing alt chars are all part of this game, and it's easy to just blame everything on the game itself not realizing how much time you put in the game to the point when nothing is fun anymore.

pikachief
Jun 14, 2008, 11:14 PM
PSUV1 had more fun missions and rares were rare. u couldnt just hunt for 2 days and get it things took weeks and weeks and u spent up every liuttle penny u got for your favorite weapon.

i liked it, it was nice. i also liked it when u didnt level up instantly to the cap lol.

Although AotI does have more updates, better combat system, and more levels and areas to explore, better room system and more and better pretty much everything.

And in the old game u couldnt find anything but this time nothing is unfindable :(

sega cant seem to find a soft spot >.>

oh well both had their good sides, both are the same to me, it is really the same game, and im having the same amount of fun with it too.

Elley
Jun 15, 2008, 01:07 AM
I found V1 to be much more fulfilling. The game is easier now. Anyone can pretty much get anything they want with some modest effort. Back then it was amazing to see someone with a B rank weapon. Money was scarce and levels were earned with the sweat of your brow. There was a much greater sense of accomplishment.

On the flipside, the game is now more accessible and instant gratification keeps subscriptions up. I no longer feel as much pride in my character, but "the grass is always greener" as they say....

HyperShot-X-
Jun 15, 2008, 11:11 AM
Speaking of drop rate change w/ AotI, it made the game much more enjoyable for me and it did not lessen the challenge or the sense of accomplishment for hunting uber rares. I could never find my own Creadouble[b] out of so many runs i did until AOtI hit, personally i never even saw 1 Psycho wand[b] drop out of so many SW S2 runs i have done since AOtI. One of my good buddy ran at least 100 de ragan runs just to get that Kan Yu[b], & last time i checked, a decent Rattelsnake sells for well over 20 mil-30 mils. Of course, all this is not much of a challenge to those full time players who makes living off this game 24/7/365.

If you liked what PSU V.1 offered for the challenge & greater sense of accomplishment which ST was in total control of and was planned from the very beginning(beileve it or not), then credit is due where it's due for the mission accomplished by ST. Others who despised the way ST handled PSU V.1 for the same reason(the mass media game reviews & the majority of gaming population), AotI expansion more than likely fixes that and then some, as you can see for yourself from this poll result so far.

Kinako78
Jun 15, 2008, 06:21 PM
10! It just improved on a lot of the gameplay elements! As Dhylec said, it's just like a totally different game now!