PDA

View Full Version : Mission Reskins, Do you care?

xBladeM6x
Jun 14, 2008, 02:10 AM
Basically i just want to know if you guys like or do not like reskins of missions.

Personally i don't mind them at all. In fact, I actually like them :-o Sure i do wish they would come up with more original missions sometimes, but honestly, i don't mind at all. ^^;

darkante
Jun 14, 2008, 02:15 AM
Depends very much of what mission they are trying to reskin.

A cold version of Moatoob open desert landscape?
YES PLEASE!
I do love open terrain more then cave like interior.

ShadowDragon28
Jun 14, 2008, 02:16 AM
If the mission is fun, I don't care if some of it is a "re-skin."

Ken_Silver
Jun 14, 2008, 02:19 AM
Depends on the mission.

Hyping up the release of a big PSO boss and having him turn out to be a reskin of the second level boss from the same game is BAD.

A reskin of Train Capture (one of my favorite missions) is good.

It all depends on how the reskin turns out. Just like as if it was any other board. I don't judge a reskin, by it being a reskin alone. A reskin can be of good or bad quality. :)

Tyreek
Jun 14, 2008, 03:14 AM
Same. I wouldn't mind playing trhough a reskin of Moatoob like that Ice SEED infestation mission in story mode EP1.

Follisimo
Jun 14, 2008, 03:27 AM
I don't care because there is nothing we can do about it anyways. So complaining is worthless on this.

A2K
Jun 14, 2008, 05:27 AM
It basically boils down to how obvious it is and whether or not they really do much to mix it up.

Take Alterzgoug, for instance. It's a reskin of De Ragnus, but with its unique arena and attacks (literal dragon breath, elemental switch, ghosts on the field) make things really interesting. Now only if it had more hit points...

Similarly, Il Cabo Base is a reskin of the seabed plants on Parum, but aside from Block 4 the general layouts are totally unfamiliar. The open ceilings also make it quite distinct.

On the other side of things, Dark Falz is rather disappointing. It has a total of one unique attack versus De Rol Le, and moreover, fighting the creature on the boat to begin with is something so uniquely tied to De Rol Le and De Rol Le alone that it really takes away from the experience.

Hell, if they'd just removed the water or replaced it with something else, made the "boat" a floating platform of some sort instead it would have been much more redeeming of a "reskin".

They're a mixed bag, to say the least.

Iduno
Jun 14, 2008, 06:03 AM
Depends how well it's done and what its done to (the new mission just looks stunning lol best reskin yet)

The general rule of thumb is

A) A reskin should have a few new tricks up its sleeves

and

B) Don't mess with well established monsters (like dark falz (or De Rol Falz now)) making one of those a reskin is just a way to anger fans who feel it hasn't been done justice

Chris28
Jun 14, 2008, 06:39 AM
They should reskin all enemies in S2 Missions (Just like on PSO Ultimate mode). A little bit of change would be nice.

Weeaboolits
Jun 14, 2008, 06:45 AM
I don't mind them, so long as they're done well, Il Cabo is a pretty cool area reskin.

EMPYREAN
Jun 14, 2008, 07:02 AM
idc. i will play on them anyway

Realmz
Jun 14, 2008, 07:04 AM
I don't care, since that way i can argue semantics with people about Falz :D

Wiz
Jun 14, 2008, 07:08 AM
Depends on the mission.

Hyping up the release of a big PSO boss and having him turn out to be a reskin of the second level boss from the same game is BAD.

A reskin of Train Capture (one of my favorite missions) is good.

It all depends on how the reskin turns out. Just like as if it was any other board. I don't judge a reskin, by it being a reskin alone. A reskin can be of good or bad quality. :)
This.

I don't mind reskined missions or basic enemies (for example, the reskin of Kamatoze in the new mission.) But when it comes to reskining a boss (read: De Rol Falz), then Segac just seems lazy. I'd say Alterazgoug is the exception.

Uber_Noob
Jun 14, 2008, 07:09 AM
Reskins I don't mind so much is that I think we need new music more than re need more reskins. Music itself is too damn monotonous.

th0rnz
Jun 14, 2008, 07:23 AM
They should reskin all enemies in S2 Missions (Just like on PSO Ultimate mode). A little bit of change would be nice.

THIS!

Gama
Jun 14, 2008, 07:46 AM
we did like pso and all the monsters mob ones were reskins with lil diferent behavior or speed.
but i must say i hate the dark fish thing T_T why wont they just import pso levels i wouldnt care if they were high def i like them anyway T_T and bosses and mags.

RegulusHikari
Jun 14, 2008, 07:57 AM
Reskins I don't mind so much is that I think we need new music more than re need more reskins. Music itself is too damn monotonous.

Yes. The only kind of rehashing I particularly hate is music. Rykros and Il Cabo have great scenery, and while they are reskins they are still unique areas, but that unique quality gets shit on when every other area is playing that terrible ass Hive theme.

Kinako78
Jun 14, 2008, 08:26 AM
This.

I don't mind reskined missions or basic enemies (for example, the reskin of Kamatoze in the new mission.) But when it comes to reskining a boss (read: De Rol Falz), then Segac just seems lazy. I'd say Alterazgoug is the exception.

And Mother Brain! Why is everyone forgetting about her? She was a well done reskin, too!

Dragwind
Jun 14, 2008, 09:56 AM
Some games let users create mods in which you can re-skin the entire game, which can in turn provide an entirely different atmosphere and feel to an already bland game. Mix that up with being able to customize landscape, items, stats, and that can change most of the game.

Ethateral
Jun 14, 2008, 12:46 PM
Basically i just want to know if you guys like or do not like reskins of missions.

Personally i don't mind them at all. In fact, I actually like them :-o Sure i do wish they would come up with more original missions sometimes, but honestly, i don't mind at all. ^^;

I don't mind reskins at all. Sure, you'll hear me make silly names for the reskins, but I honestly don't mind them. :P I enjoy the missions and as long as I enjoy them, that's all that matters. ^^

I would like to see SOME originality of bosses and enemies. I know that the reskinned bosses have their own unique arena, which is always nice. <3 I would like to see if ST can come up with something more original for enemy wise though. The Deep Salamis (XD), kinda are, but then not in their own special way..

furrypaws
Jun 14, 2008, 12:57 PM
If it's the difference between reskin and no content (which it almost always is), then reskin.

I don't really care beyond that.

60Hz
Jun 14, 2008, 02:56 PM
Don't mind re-skins if there is some behavior changes, as the case with dark falz worm boss, though it looks like the ice worm he has some distinct behavior changes like vomiting on you, etc... i guess graphics are just visuals, they only last for about 5 minutes, the gameplay is what stays with you... i kind of like the families of enemies that PSU has, but like a said there should be a gameplay difference even if it's just element, i'm happy...

SonicTMP
Jun 14, 2008, 03:03 PM
Mission reskins are fine. In any game there is only so much dunegon templates they can make before they repeat it in some way. Placement and flow of the level is what is important. So I've no big deal with that.

Trash mobs, is acceptable. With billions upon billions of them killed it's ok that they are reused.

Boss is where the buck stops. Rekins are bad. Maybe 1 or 2 at the most but in a galaxy sized game, bosses need to be more unique and less copies. I find it hard to beleive that 2 different planets both have single and double headed dragons. Or that the evil fusion of a reactor and the episode 1 villian is also a female version that controls the CASTS.

So summary:

Missions - acceptable

Trash mobs - understandable

Bosses - lazy fuckers get off your ass and make something cool.

Noblewine
Jun 14, 2008, 03:10 PM
It didn't mind it much, I liked it. The new monsters at the end of the mission was a nice touch.

Kylie
Jun 14, 2008, 03:23 PM
For me, there are good reskins and bad reskins. Mother Brain is an example of a bad reskin. Yes, blue is prettier than brown/purple, but just changing the color isn't good enough to call it a new mission. Granigs mine isn't a great reskin either. White Beast and Rozenom are great reskins as it's hard to tell that they both use the temple layout. Rykros, Saguraki, and Cabo Base are decent reskins.

In the end, I don't mind much as long as the changes are good, and the mission's fun.

RegulusHikari
Jun 14, 2008, 03:32 PM
Wow, I hadn't even noticed that Rozenom was a Temple reskin until you pointed it out. :o

Mother Brain isn't necessarily a bad reskin, but the terrible enemies and music make it pretty worthless. I'm interested to see how SEED-Express reskins Milate 4.

Kylie
Jun 14, 2008, 03:44 PM
I didn't realize it either until Espio pointed it out to me. We also wonder if Habirao is a reskin of Agata, but we're not sure about that one (it's definitely a good reskin if it is one).

Rayokarna
Jun 14, 2008, 03:55 PM
Missions - acceptable

Trash mobs - understandable

Bosses - lazy fuckers get off your ass and make something cool.

Too lazy to put in my opinion so I'll just agree with this...

Apone
Jun 14, 2008, 08:09 PM
Dont mind reskins so much as I mind the recycled music. That hive music is over done to the end of gurhal and back Im sick of it really but I guess thats when you pop in some other music. Some music is over done and some is actually petty rare in missions.

Mman2000
Jun 14, 2008, 08:39 PM
There are good reskins and bad ones. Il Cabo was a great mission and a cool looking area in general, I don't give a shit about the fact that it's a reskin as long as those things are in place. Saguraki C.D, however, was complete and utter crap. Honestly it looked like they just ripped all the color contrast right out of the original map.

As far as reskinned bosses go, I don't have a problem as long as:

-It's not done with a fucking classic that was a 3 stage battle in PSO (sega you fail so hard for this it's not even funny.)
-The reskin behaves at least a little differently than the original.

Making Dark Falz out of a reskin was the biggest failure I've ever seen, but it's not the way I feel about reskinned bosses in general.

I don't give a shit about the alterazgohg being a reskin because IT'S A FUN BOSS BATTLE. I liked the arena, the music, and even the way its attacks looked. If sega can make an enjoyable boss battle out of a reskin, more power to them. Of course I would like to see more new bosses, and sega will have to make new bosses eventually, but I won't complain about a boss battle just because it's a reskin.

I joked in an earlier thread about how sega should just reskin all the bosses to all the elements and be done with it. Let's say they actually did that, what would we get from it?

[spoiler-box]
Adahna Degahna
Fire: New boss
Ice: New boss
Ground: New boss
Lightning: Magas Maggahna
Light: Adahna Degahna
Dark: New boss

De Ragan
Fire: De Ragan
Ice: New boss (sil dragon?)
Lightning: Zoal Goug
Light: New boss

De Rol Le
Ice: De Rol Le
Lightning: New boss
Dark: Dark Failz

De Ragnus
Fire/Ice: De Ragnus
Ground/Lightning: New boss (perhaps on moatoob)
Light/Dark: Alterazgohg

Onmagoug
Fire: Onmagoug
Ground: Dimmagolus
Lightning: New boss

Dulk Fakis
Lightning: Mother Brain
Dark: Dulk Fakis

That adds up to 21 new boss battles, all adding at least one new mission to the game. I don't think anyone would complain about THAT part.
[/spoiler-box]

Syonu
Jun 15, 2008, 02:15 AM
A reskin itself doesn't bug me at all. It's just when they use the same music for reskinned areas that it starts to get annoying. I swear if we get another mission with the HIVE music I'm gonna pull my hair out.

But then again that's what custom soundtracks. are for.

A2K
Jun 15, 2008, 02:57 AM
I didn't realize it either until Espio pointed it out to me. We also wonder if Habirao is a reskin of Agata, but we're not sure about that one (it's definitely a good reskin if it is one).

Vaguely similar elements, such as rectangular or square passageways and stairways, but calling it a reskin is a hell of a stretch. It's completely different with elements that just can't be found in any variation of the temple: the lonesome square tower, the dilapidated planters, etc. Not to mention the layouts themselves are completely different.

Yes. The only kind of rehashing I particularly hate is music. Rykros and Il Cabo have great scenery, and while they are reskins they are still unique areas, but that unique quality gets shit on when every other area is playing that terrible ass Hive theme.

I swear that I'm probably the only person here that actually loves the HIVE music. It sounds oppressive, like you've been trapped in the enemy's stronghold, completely fitting for the fields' atmosphere.