PDA

View Full Version : You've got to be kidding me...*Sigh*

DreXxiN
Jun 14, 2008, 12:04 PM
...So I go to take my college entrance exams, which I'm more than ready for and uh..When I get there..

...They say they can't accept my ID because my drivers license (Yeah, kinda stopped with the whole driving bit having no money and all) is Expired by 4 months. I couldn't believe this. They told me I just had to bring convincing picture evidence, and I look no damn different. They even said I can use it as a State ID until 2011.

Hell, I just got into my JOB with that ID.

And on top of it all, I brought my social security card with me!

I was still declined, and the next test date isn't until Fall, AFTER the enrollment period. I was seriously damn near in tears when I was told this. I'm going to just try and learn to "go with the flow", and not to excitedly anticipate things anymore because I've given it far too many chances, and each time it just backfires.

...Looks like I'll be waiting a year to get into college....If someone ever tells you an hour of a day can screw up your entire life, just listen to them. Please be careful.

beatrixkiddo
Jun 14, 2008, 12:14 PM
ouch :(

Powder Keg
Jun 14, 2008, 02:06 PM
State ID should count then. You don't need a driver's license for college.

Kylie
Jun 14, 2008, 04:16 PM
>_< Damn, that was just painful to read. Well, maybe this will be good for you to take a break before going to college and reflect on stuff. It sucks, but it doesn't have to be the end of your life.

Randomness
Jun 14, 2008, 06:30 PM
In a similar note of silly ID requirements...

Where I live, a high-school ID will count for getting a license/state ID, but a college one will get denied.

HUnewearl_Meira
Jun 14, 2008, 07:17 PM
In a similar note of silly ID requirements...

Where I live, a high-school ID will count for getting a license/state ID, but a college one will get denied.

High School ID = Government Issued.
College ID = Privately Issued.

Seority
Jun 16, 2008, 12:35 PM
Um, hun? I found your state ID card... ^_^;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
(it WAS in my coat pocket)
-sacrifices self from stupidity-

thunder-ray
Jun 17, 2008, 01:11 AM
Wow that sucks well aleast seority found your state ID ^^;

Seority
Jun 17, 2008, 02:52 PM
Now I need to find my cell phone, SSN card, a job, my engagment ring.
Just kidding ^^;

McLaughlin
Jun 17, 2008, 06:37 PM
I've got nothing that'll top that, but I had one helluva time getting my Health Card.

I went in with my old card, my Social Security card, my birth certificate, my Student Card, and my bank card. I get up to the desk and the lady goes "I need something with your name, picture and signature," in a real snarky tone of voice.

Oh, like a Driver's License, right? Well, I need my Health Card for photo-ID until I get my Driver's License (I also NEED it to get a Driver's License).

I went back a week later, and there was an older fella at the desk this time. After explaining about my previous visit he just said "Well, we don't really expect people your age to have that kind of ID. It's hard to get at your age. Your birth certificate and SSN card will be fine."

That lady got fired.

Darkly
Jun 17, 2008, 07:11 PM
i really hate technicallities like that, its just not fair when a person's future is on the line like that, sucks man :(

Sidney
Jun 17, 2008, 10:19 PM
Um... you do know you can enter college as a freshman in the spring semester, right? So you won't be put off by a year, worst case scenario. You have a few options.

First of all, where do you live? If you live in the US, you're probably talking about the SAT or ACT tests, right? If you were signed up for the last date for the SAT, see if you can still take the ACT, or vice versa. Don't give up hope just yet. I know when I was in high school, I had a lot of friends take the tests in the summer. You might not have prepared for the test you're going to have to take now, but it's better than nothing and worth a shot!

Also, by this time, you have already missed most college and university APPLICATION deadlines. (Enrollment is for students who are already accepted into the school.) Meaning, you don't have a lot of options except for community college if you were to start in the fall semester, depending on whether or not the school requires SAT/ACT scores. I think most do, but I'm not too sure because I have only gone through application processes for private and public (non-community) schools. Wish I could be more help here.

Also, as much as this sucks, I do have to criticize you a little: if you just graduated, why the heck did you put off taking the test this long? As much as the circumstances with the ID suck and are unfair, it is ultimately your fault for putting it off to the last possible time to take it; you should have prepared in advance for complications. They say you should take your college entrance tests the first time your JUNIOR year. So, really, what they did to you was unfair, but at the same time, a lot of blame falls upon yourself for not being responsible and proactive about your future.

Take it from someone older than you, you should be more on the ball about deadlines - most colleges have applications deadlines in late fall or early winter, so you're really, REALLY behind. You should have sent in your apps and test scores by then. xD

So, um, hang in there and don't give up on college!

Kion
Jun 21, 2008, 01:23 AM
I got into San Fransisco University as a japanese major with the intention of going abroad for a year. Their exchange program is one of the best, but i still thought it sucked; you have to pay SFU tuition to goto a school abroad that costs less, pay for living expenses in Tokyo, take five classes in english, and promote SFU so that more kids can go over next year. So not only is it ridiculously expensive, but you're paying that much for a tour guided two years of speaking 90% and being treated like a faceless American. pretty pathetic program for a Japanese major, someone who is trying to become fluent to work and live in in the culture.

So i canceled my tuition before the semester started and managed to get my dorm deposit back (it was still before my parents had finalized a loan and stuff), and applied to a Japanese school directly. It's taken a year to find a school, get the visa figure out living arrangements, but it's finally worked out. I'm starting school in Sendai as of July 7. But the entire year I've been working at Blockbuster and then starbucks and entry level part time jobs are really shitty, so fair warning you have a sucky year ahead of you DreXxin. There have been a couple benefits as I've been saving the entire time, so i won't be a broke ass full time student. And I've had some exposure to the "real world", so there's at least some experience there. And there's always the lurking fear of failure, like you know where you'll end up if you don;t do well in school that's driving me to study harder than i did in high school.

Anyways, figure out how you can make your year off work for you. There's always stuff to learn, even not in school. try taking coarse in community college to at least keep your memory fresh and see if there's anyway to share an apartment with your friends so you're not stuck at home. it'll go by really slow, but a year from now it'll be like time never passed.