PDA

View Full Version : Xbox360 vs PC/PS2 Population question...

charlie85
Jun 15, 2008, 01:25 AM
I used to play PSU when it was first released and quit after the first month. I'm thinking of coming back but would like to know how the population is for both sides. I downloaded the xbox360 trial and saw two 5 star universes for the trial which seems pretty healthy but my friend told me that the trial version isnt connected at all to the real xbox360 servers.

Also while playing the xbox version a bit i noticed it ran at 60 fps and was wondering if the PC version is the same way? I have a new PC and am wondering if the graphics are even better on the PC over the xbox version or if the PS2 holds the PC version back at 30 fps.

thanks. :-D

LuigiMario
Jun 15, 2008, 01:42 AM
This is going to turn into HELL!

Ken_Silver
Jun 15, 2008, 01:47 AM
Umm... on the population scale for the PC/PS2...

We never get over 3 to 4 stars unless there is an event going on.

Even then, we only fill up one server. We've never trickled over to more than one server...

Except for this one time last week. I took a screenshot because it made no sense. A bunch of people were in Universe 7. Why? I have no clue. But here's that screenshot...

[spoiler-box]
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=50&stc=1&d=1213512375
[/spoiler-box]

This is going to turn into HELL!

No brother! You must have Faith! I have tons of faith! (Allegedly.) :D

DjDragoon
Jun 15, 2008, 02:10 AM
Universe 1 is pretty much always full on the 360 servers. We even have universe 2 filled on some occasions like after an update. 3 Universes filled is rare to see unless there's sumthin like MAG out or a new expansion. :/ If only SonicTeam had connected all the servers to begin with. I never knew the PS2/PC servers were that bad.

Yusaku_Kudou
Jun 15, 2008, 02:35 AM
PC runs better, 360 has 3-4x the population at any given time. Universe 1 is always full and we never go under 3 stars at our lowest point (middle of the night), Uni 2 usually fills up to 4.5 stars, and there's generally a white star for Uni 3 as well. The Japanese players have their own clique not unlike the US players on the PCJP on the 360, they tend to fill up a white star on Universe 16 at their peak... and lately, Uni 5 has been filling a white star as well, for whatever reason I don't understand. Otherwise, there are dozens of people on every universe no matter which one you go to (1-30) and you'll never have an issue finding a party. Not everybody does White Beast on the 360 anymore; it's very split up post-MAG--probably from everybody getting bored of it.

Ah, crap, I almost forgot to mention this, but on Xbox 360, the server is a global one. We have players from Asia and Japan with their Asia/JP systems and software whereas the US/EU PC generally does not. This is because PS2/PC Japan PSU is several months of content ahead of us, so they couldn't link the PS2/PC globally. As for 360 Japan PSU, well, it's the same reason why we're not connected with PS2/PC US/EU--the GUARDIANS Licenses are purchased from Xbox Live Marketplace, so Microsoft is whom we pay our monthly fee (who in turn pays Sonic Team).

And if you're from Europe and we get another expansion, there's usually a several-month delay for PS2/PC... I don't know why this is; on 360 the expansion AOTI came out on the Marketplace for MS Points globally at the same time and everybody everywhere got to play the new content immediately. This will probably be likely again in the future should it happen.

Okay, this is sounding like an anti-PS2/PC post, and I really don't mean to come across like that. I'm sure somebody who has played on PS2/PC can help give you more inside look at the pros and cons much better than I can, but I'll try to put a list here for you.

Pros for 360:
- Voice chat (if you're into that)
- USB keyboard compatible (mail, search shops, or if you don't want to speak)
- Runs the same on every 360, nobody has an upperhand
- Cheaper items, stronger economy--there are more of every item and a greater chance you'll score high-ground and high percent weapons.
- More players (impossible not to find people to play with 24/7), nearing 86000 made accounts, about 1500 new ones a month.

Pros for PC:
- No voice chat (you know what I mean)
- Gamepad support (using the 360 controller here is win)
- If you have a beastly PC, you will run PSU with nary a hiccup and leave your PS2 brethren in the dust.
- More tight-knit community. PC is like Seattle; 360 is like New York. You'll get to know everybody more quickly.
- Generally higher average age.

Cons for 360:
- Robot slowdown on certain missions (this is a memory leak)
- TECHNIC slowdown (ph34r teh Masterforce...) (regular slowdown)
- Xbox Live biggots, racists, and douchebags

Cons for PC:
- Not everybody's game runs at the same speed
- Lower population (can be difficult finding things in player shops/lower quantity)
- Server "meltdown" and Error 065 prevented players from logging on

_tsunami
Jun 15, 2008, 05:42 AM
-If your question is more about population then go xbox360

-If its performance your after then go PC for the best gameplay

other than that its pretty much the same the 065 server meltdown thing is kinda over for now but thanks to that everyone is having a 2nd chance at MAG that decide to join.

Voice chat isn't included for PC but its not impossible there are a small comminuty of ventrillo users out there on PC i believe.

PC has maybe 1/3 of the xbox population but its not desserted you still find people in uni 2 in almost every lobby now.

As for the europe delay seeing he's got a fast PC, it won't really affect him he can just buy it online from a import game store like what every Europe PC player did.

superlak
Jun 15, 2008, 06:34 AM
wow i thought this thread would turn into a bloodbath turned out good so far
oh and 360 rules psu :)

DISCO
Jun 15, 2008, 08:04 AM

I'm wondering how you would figure that out. On the 360 you can hear other peoples voices to make assumptions about age. But if you can't actually converse with other players, how do you know how old they are?

RegulusHikari
Jun 15, 2008, 08:37 AM
I'm wondering how you would figure that out. On the 360 you can hear other peoples voices to make assumptions about age. But if you can't actually converse with other players, how do you know how old they are?

It's an easy assumption- little kiddies don't ask mommy and daddy for high end PCs for Christmas.

Brainwrecked
Jun 15, 2008, 08:43 AM
I'd like to know...
What are the account numbers up to on the PC/PS2 NA and JP servers?

Also, the 86000 total / 1500 per month seems a bit high. The wife just joined three weeks ago and her account number was 83948. And I remember that number being a bit disappointing as I had seen 83000's since before the MAG event.

My memory is human recollection and observation and not fact, blah blah blah disclaimer blah blah. :D

Rescue
Jun 15, 2008, 08:52 AM
I remember seeing someone in the 86000's recently.

Deissa
Jun 15, 2008, 08:55 AM
These topics always fall apart because people seem to be insecure about the server they play on.
I mean, that's the only reason one would fervently defend how they play a video game.

Brainwrecked
Jun 15, 2008, 10:20 AM
These topics always fall apart because people seem to be insecure about the server they play on.
I mean, that's the only reason one would fervently defend how they play a video game.

Who has yet "fervently defend[ed] how they play a video game" in this thread? Seems to be all honest, friendly discussion thus far.

Ezodagrom
Jun 15, 2008, 10:51 AM
About population, XBox 360 version is bigger, PC/PS2 haven't had a full universe since...don't know, since I started playing never saw a universe full o.o (been playing since august last year).

About the expansion on Europe...well, since AOI release there have been an increasing delay between our updates and JP. We used to have updates around 2 months after JP, now looks like it's around 4 months.
One possible reason for this delay could be so we would get US and EU release of the next expansion on the same day (AOI was released on EU 2 months after US)...
Heh...the most likely reason for these delays is just ST screwed up XD (a GM saying the PA exp boost to be released early April, it was delayed twice, only got released early June, and things like that).

EtherForce
Jun 15, 2008, 11:08 AM
Even then, we only fill up one server. We've never trickled over to more than one server...

Except for this one time last week. I took a screenshot because it made no sense. A bunch of people were in Universe 7. Why? I have no clue. But here's that screenshot...

[spoiler-box]
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=50&stc=1&d=1213512375
[/spoiler-box]

That was when a GM was doing the PSO trivia.

Deissa
Jun 15, 2008, 12:17 PM
Who has yet "fervently defend[ed] how they play a video game" in this thread? Seems to be all honest, friendly discussion thus far.

Who said it had happened in here?
Although it's clear to see the seeds have been planted in this topic already.

Still, you must be new to PSU if you think it never, ever happens. Someone always has to shoehorn their opinion about how they're playing the bestest ever version. Give a topic about 360 enough time and it'll happen.

Yusaku_Kudou
Jun 15, 2008, 12:51 PM
I'd like to know...
What are the account numbers up to on the PC/PS2 NA and JP servers?

Also, the 86000 total / 1500 per month seems a bit high. The wife just joined three weeks ago and her account number was 83948. And I remember that number being a bit disappointing as I had seen 83000's since before the MAG event.

My memory is human recollection and observation and not fact, blah blah blah disclaimer blah blah. :D

Well I just saw 86028 if that helps. We just broke 86k today.

charlie85
Jun 15, 2008, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the replies. When I played on the PC when it came out my PC was not cutting edge so I had to run in only 1024x768 resolution and didn't run at 60 fps. The game looks great on my HDTV on Xbox but am wondering if it is worth it to lose a lvl 47 character from my PC version or if leveling is easier now?

Also is this MAG event over for the Xbox version as I would enjoy seeing the old PSO levels and weapons.

BlackHowling
Jun 15, 2008, 03:56 PM
It's an easy assumption- little kiddies don't ask mommy and daddy for high end PCs for Christmas.

Nah, the number of adults on 360 is the same as the number of adults on PC/PS2 version. My card list is full (360) and everyone on it is 21+. Unless I idle in my shop, I rarely see any kids anymore (even though I know there are still a crapload of them on).

The problem is however, that a lot of the adults on 360 that I know already have groups that we play with and we don't really go outside those groups that often. Personally, I haven't joined a random group on Universe 1 or 2 in like a year, haven't needed to or wanted to.

I played the PC version for a bit as well, but a lot of my old friends from DC/GC pso bought the 360 version so I switched. But I would say the number of older players on the 360 probably equals or comes close to the total population of the PC/PS2, and then the rest of the 360 population is made up of kids and tweens.

Ken_Silver
Jun 15, 2008, 04:11 PM
That was when a GM was doing the PSO trivia.

Thanks! I was wondering what that was about. That's all that I wanted to know. :)

Yusaku_Kudou
Jun 15, 2008, 10:31 PM
Thanks for the replies. When I played on the PC when it came out my PC was not cutting edge so I had to run in only 1024x768 resolution and didn't run at 60 fps. The game looks great on my HDTV on Xbox but am wondering if it is worth it to lose a lvl 47 character from my PC version or if leveling is easier now?

Also is this MAG event over for the Xbox version as I would enjoy seeing the old PSO levels and weapons.

According to Sonic Team, MAG is coming back for two weeks at the end of this month. You'll be level 47 in a day or two, probably.

H3Av3NS PUNISH3R
Jun 15, 2008, 11:04 PM
I went from level 1 to 33(i started a new character) in less than 10 hours. I am pretty sure you could get to lv 47 in at least 15-20 hours.

Brainwrecked
Jun 16, 2008, 03:54 AM
Well I just saw 86028 if that helps. We just broke 86k today.

A couple of things just popped into my head when I read that:

- MAG occurred during the release of GT4 and Lost Odyssey.
- MAG probably occurred while students were ramping up for finals.
- School has/is let/letting out for the summer.

Perhaps there was a slow down and then an uptick in account creation? Maybe I'm full of it. Who knows, SoA has the billing stats, not us.

Who said it had happened in here?
Although it's clear to see the seeds have been planted in this topic already.

Still, you must be new to PSU if you think it never, ever happens. Someone always has to shoehorn their opinion about how they're playing the bestest ever version. Give a topic about 360 enough time and it'll happen.

New to PSU or new to PSO-World? No (PSU account in 20,000's) and no (a long-time lurker since PSU's release). I've seen the melt-downs before. I just like to give things a chance and see no need to bring up the past if history hasn't repeated itself yet. Hopefully the narrower topic of population alone helps, and any remaining elements of a meltdown died down enough with it the, well, previous meltdowns.

Which reminds me, I still call out someone to cough up the JP PS2/PC server account numbers if they'd be so inclined. Just like to know the number of people we possibly miss out on playing with thanks to Microsoft's NIH-syndrome policies regarding Live. We already know the NA/EU PC/PS2 population. What of the JP PS2/PC population.

Middle
Jun 16, 2008, 04:50 AM
about population go to PC/PS2 JP .... Japanese are friendly ...

mhm ... i think to decide to play an online game thats like psu you dont zhave to go for asking about population .... I'm from europe and even in US nighttime there are players to play with on the pc servers ... It is never empty ...

I dont see a reason why 1 universe isnt enough .... you find ppl everywhere ...
on the 360 server you have more players .... that is correct .... but if a server is full it is full ...
I like playing on the pc/ps2 servers, because we are a stand-together community ... just like a hugh family ... and if you have a good pc the grafics are better also...
ts just about what you like more to play on ... if you like more o pc play on pc .... if you like consoles (or voice chat) go to 360 ^^

Raiza
Jun 16, 2008, 05:32 AM
I've heard the PC version is more like a tight-knit family.

RegulusHikari
Jun 16, 2008, 02:49 PM
Nah, the number of adults on 360 is the same as the number of adults on PC/PS2 version. My card list is full (360) and everyone on it is 21+. Unless I idle in my shop, I rarely see any kids anymore (even though I know there are still a crapload of them on).

The problem is however, that a lot of the adults on 360 that I know already have groups that we play with and we don't really go outside those groups that often. Personally, I haven't joined a random group on Universe 1 or 2 in like a year, haven't needed to or wanted to.

I played the PC version for a bit as well, but a lot of my old friends from DC/GC pso bought the 360 version so I switched. But I would say the number of older players on the 360 probably equals or comes close to the total population of the PC/PS2, and then the rest of the 360 population is made up of kids and tweens.

Oh, I'm SURE there's a large adult userbase as well (that's what MS' target audience is after all). But it's simple fact that with a population 3-4 times larger than our own, you're bound to find more adolescents who want to grow up to be like Master Chief.

Jokes aside, what you CAN take as fact is that a majority of the remaining PC/PS2 population is dedicated, mature players, regardless of age. They have to be after putting up with hacks, glitches, air conditioners, and 065.

Yusaku_Kudou
Jun 16, 2008, 02:59 PM
Just like to know the number of people we possibly miss out on playing with thanks to Microsoft's NIH-syndrome policies regarding Live. We already know the NA/EU PC/PS2 population. What of the JP PS2/PC population.

Going to have to ask a PSU GM about that one. Sonic Team decided to split the servers so they could put the GUARDIANS License on Xbox Live Marketplace for ease of use.

Skyly
Jun 16, 2008, 03:48 PM
Hmm.. It would be wise to play psu on the 360.. you'll get a better psu experience.(imo) its diverse.. but.. way 2 many young'ns

*edit* BUT it's far better on the 360. hands down and anyone who thinks otherwise is in denial.. lol jk

Rambo!
Jun 16, 2008, 03:55 PM
PC runs better, 360 has 3-4x the population at any given time. Universe 1 is always full and we never go under 3 stars at our lowest point (middle of the night), Uni 2 usually fills up to 4.5 stars, and there's generally a white star for Uni 3 as well. The Japanese players have their own clique not unlike the US players on the PCJP on the 360, they tend to fill up a white star on Universe 16 at their peak... and lately, Uni 5 has been filling a white star as well, for whatever reason I don't understand. Otherwise, there are dozens of people on every universe no matter which one you go to (1-30) and you'll never have an issue finding a party. Not everybody does White Beast on the 360 anymore; it's very split up post-MAG--probably from everybody getting bored of it.

Ah, crap, I almost forgot to mention this, but on Xbox 360, the server is a global one. We have players from Asia and Japan with their Asia/JP systems and software whereas the US/EU PC generally does not. This is because PS2/PC Japan PSU is several months of content ahead of us, so they couldn't link the PS2/PC globally. As for 360 Japan PSU, well, it's the same reason why we're not connected with PS2/PC US/EU--the GUARDIANS Licenses are purchased from Xbox Live Marketplace, so Microsoft is whom we pay our monthly fee (who in turn pays Sonic Team).

And if you're from Europe and we get another expansion, there's usually a several-month delay for PS2/PC... I don't know why this is; on 360 the expansion AOTI came out on the Marketplace for MS Points globally at the same time and everybody everywhere got to play the new content immediately. This will probably be likely again in the future should it happen.

Okay, this is sounding like an anti-PS2/PC post, and I really don't mean to come across like that. I'm sure somebody who has played on PS2/PC can help give you more inside look at the pros and cons much better than I can, but I'll try to put a list here for you.

Pros for 360:
- Voice chat (if you're into that)
- USB keyboard compatible (mail, search shops, or if you don't want to speak)
- Runs the same on every 360, nobody has an upperhand
- Cheaper items, stronger economy--there are more of every item and a greater chance you'll score high-ground and high percent weapons.
- More players (impossible not to find people to play with 24/7), nearing 86000 made accounts, about 1500 new ones a month.

Pros for PC:
- No voice chat (you know what I mean)
- Gamepad support (using the 360 controller here is win)
- If you have a beastly PC, you will run PSU with nary a hiccup and leave your PS2 brethren in the dust.
- More tight-knit community. PC is like Seattle; 360 is like New York. You'll get to know everybody more quickly.

Cons for 360:
- Robot slowdown on certain missions (this is a memory leak)
- TECHNIC slowdown (ph34r teh Masterforce...) (regular slowdown)
- Xbox Live biggots, racists, and douchebags

Cons for PC:
- Not everybody's game runs at the same speed
- Lower population (can be difficult finding things in player shops/lower quantity)
- Server "meltdown" and Error 065 prevented players from logging on

This pretty much sums it up. I believe that the pc/ps2 players are more dedicated if that is what your after and you can find a party fairly easily. If you have a good pc i believe the pc version is by far the best version of this game to play. Also you won't have to worry about your 360 red ringing for playing psu to much.

Note you do NOT need a beastly computer to run this game well anything that was made in the last 3 years (since the release of vanilla psu) and has a decent graphics card (geforce 6800 or 7600) or better can play this game well on pc. This game is not very demanding as far as system requirements.

Realmz
Jun 16, 2008, 04:00 PM
A couple of things just popped into my head when I read that:

- MAG occurred during the release of GT4 and Lost Odyssey.

me thinks you miscounted there, LO was released on:

JP December 6, 2007
AUS February 8, 2008
NA February 12, 2008
EU February 29, 2008

and to my knowledge MAG started April 25th, unless you mean the JP date for the event which i don't think you are since you're talking about GTA4

Deissa
Jun 16, 2008, 04:05 PM
also if you play the 360 vers. for too long a microsoft representative has to come and knee you in the balls

DISCO
Jun 16, 2008, 04:16 PM
Regardless of which server you choose you'll be able to find a dedicated player base. There are roughly the same proportion of mature players on both sides. The 360 has the stigma of an "immature" player base because with a bigger population, there are proportionally more a-holes. Also most of the "better" or more mature players find a group they play with on a consistent basis and stay in empty universes. The only thing that should affect your decision is what appeals to you, voice chat or a slightly better running game.

RemiusTA
Jun 16, 2008, 05:07 PM
360 has idiots on Mics, PS2/PC has Amaury

H3Av3NS PUNISH3R
Jun 16, 2008, 06:04 PM
Holy F*cking GOD, AMAURY IS ON PS2?! I THOUGHT HE WAS ON 360!!! to think that I wanted to join the PC/PS2 community...

Elley
Jun 17, 2008, 01:07 AM
Using voice chat as a con for the 360 version is ignorant. If anyone is bothering you, all you have to do is turn the mic volume all the way down. Most people who I run across in random parties either type to communicate or don't at all. It get so annoying to hear people scream "omg xbox live is full of idiots" until they're blue in the face to make themselves feel better about playing on a server that's more akin to a ghost town than a MMORPG.

The Xbox 360 is the place to experience PSU right now. Our economy is fantastic, the community is strong with lots and lots of players, hacking is all but impossible, and the visuals are sharp. There is slowdown here and there when spells are slinging about, but its never been nearly enough to cause me to be upset.

I don't know... do what you want. The pros of the 360 version are way more important to me than anything the other platforms have to offer. Use your judgment.

charlie85
Jun 17, 2008, 01:42 AM
Will the Xbox360 version get to play MAG this June? I'm confused as I read it as an extra event for PS2/PC users.

Maskim
Jun 17, 2008, 01:50 AM
To my understanding, from the information at this time, although the extension is due to pc/ps2 billing issues, it will effect all US server players.

In short, yes.

Besides you don't want the extension to be pc/ps2 only. People may think they do, because 'you didn't miss any of it on your server, you don't deserve it', but if you want to ensure (read as overkill) you hit that 200 million kill mark, and get a Sange, you want the 360 community going to town on MA:G along side you.

Ken_Silver
Jun 17, 2008, 01:58 AM
To my understanding, from the information at this time, although the extension is due to pc/ps2 billing issues, it will effect all US server players.

In short, yes.

Besides you don't want the extension to be pc/ps2 only. People may think they do, because 'you didn't miss any of it on your server, you don't deserve it', but if you want to ensure (read as overkill) you hit that 200 million kill mark, and get a Sange, you want the 360 community going to town on MA:G along side you.

This for the Sange.

360, I will be relying on you!

360 has idiots on Mics, PS2/PC has Amaury

OUCH. Is that really necessary? I mean low blow. Where's a referee when you need one? :disapprove:

Maskim
Jun 17, 2008, 02:06 AM
This for the Sange.

360, I will be relying on you!

We won't let you down! Except for the kiddies that forgot how to leave Pavilion of Air every now and then...

Brainwrecked
Jun 17, 2008, 03:27 AM
Going to have to ask a PSU GM about that one. Sonic Team decided to split the servers so they could put the GUARDIANS License on Xbox Live Marketplace for ease of use.

That's a bit ambiguous, and unfortunately wrong in every way I can interpret it.

First off, if you're on the 360, the community is global. The 86,000 accounts include not just North Americans, but the Europeans, the Japanese, and anyone else anywhere in the world where the 360 has a market.

Now, if you're thinking the JP PC/PS2 server split from a while back had something to do with cross-platform GUARDIAN licenses, no. It was about massive problems due to unforeseen demand on Sega's part. The servers have since been joined (hence the JP PC/PS2 servers get 8 character slots instead of 4), but buying a GUARDIANS license wherever you please wasn't the cause. Sega has always been the the place to go for a GUARDIANS license on the PC/PS2 side.

The other interpretation: "Sonic Team decided to put the GUARDIANS License purchase on XBox Live Marketplace for the 360 users for ease of use." If so that's wrong. They were forced to do it that way. It's part of the terms for being able to do online stuff on the 360 -- you have to go the Microsoft way for central servers, downloadable content, and game-related purchases. The only game of my recollection that doesn't go the Microsoft way is Final Fantasy XI, and Square-Enix had to buy their way out of it. (Hence the PlayOnline Viewer you might see on your friends' list of games played.)

My pipe dream is seeing the entire PSU community together, on one schedule and being able to play with each other across the world. Key words: pipe dream.

Yusaku_Kudou
Jun 17, 2008, 06:32 AM
That's what Clumsyorchid had said way back and if that's the word of Sega, then that is what I will choose to convey; not my own theory as to why. "Don't shoot the messenger."

RemiusTA
Jun 17, 2008, 10:11 AM
Lol the Mic joke on 360 is used so much because of how funny it is.

I remember my experiences on the Xbox PSO with the mic...it was both quite hilarious and quite sad