PDA

View Full Version : AotI Isnt Rykros Considered a Planet?

Indica
Jun 15, 2008, 01:53 PM
Isnt Rykros Considered a Planet? If so, when we leave our room to Select a Planet, how come Rykros isnt show and we have to go to 4th floor.

Kylie
Jun 15, 2008, 01:55 PM
Well, it's a planet-sized HIVE. :-P Not a place that has clothing shops, synth shops, etc.

The fourth floor has the whatever they use to get to places in space (other than the Neudaiz, Parum, and Moatoob gates). The gate you go in to get to the HIVE and Rykros isn't to places on the colony, whereas the Linear Line gate is.

Dragwind
Jun 15, 2008, 01:55 PM
This is something of a debate. In game it is mentioned that it is a Hive that Is the size of a planet .

Whether or not it should really be considered a planet, I'm unsure.

Mysterious-G
Jun 15, 2008, 01:56 PM
ou really ask that seriously?
Lazyness I guess. <_>

But going to the Rkros lobby instantly would be pretty cool... =O

Retniwreven
Jun 15, 2008, 01:59 PM
I had a sudden mental image of a bunch of Deljaban running shops and cafes and such.
Which would be the most awesome thing ever.

Indica
Jun 15, 2008, 02:01 PM
ou really ask that seriously?
Lazyness I guess. <_>

But going to the Rkros lobby instantly would be pretty cool... =O

Na, I don't mind going to 4th floor it's just if it's a planet shouldn't it show on the screen.

But then again Rykros is temporary and in the Story I'm sure we destroy the planet and all... but then wouldn't that mean all missions would have to completely disappear..lol

Kylie
Jun 15, 2008, 02:04 PM
But then again Rykros is temporary and in the Story I'm sure we destroy the planet and all... but then wouldn't that mean all missions would have to completely disappear..lol
Well, there are lots of things that don't make sense in free play versus the storyline And it being online and all, it's impossible to say which page everyone is on (except in the case of making the Colony incomplete in the expansion because it blew up in v1), so I think it'd be safe to leave the Rykros missions up even if it's destroyed in chapter whatever.

Mysterious-G
Jun 15, 2008, 02:05 PM
I had a sudden mental image of a bunch of Deljaban running shops and cafes and such.

Good god. Me wants. Deljaban babies must be cute. o.o

Indica
Jun 15, 2008, 02:07 PM
Im curious what Sega has planned for Transfer Terminal and Aurorey Viewing Plaza. This is pretty much a dead end path for Linear Line. There are just 2 maps there.

Maybe Sega should have added Hive and True Darkness though this path and on the 4th Floor just kept Rykros seperate as a Transport like Parum, Moatoob, Neudaiz.

Kylie
Jun 15, 2008, 02:09 PM
But then Rykros would only have two missions. :-P I think it makes more sense to group all the HIVE missions together like they did and keep the "Colony" missions on their end. However, it would be nice to see another Colony mission.

Then again, we'll soon be able to play past event missions from the Colony, and we can play story missions there too.

Retniwreven
Jun 15, 2008, 02:17 PM

Bel Pannon much?
Perhaps a less penguinlike version. =X

Rust
Jun 15, 2008, 02:19 PM

Deljaban fastfood
"Man, this McPannon tastes like shit."
"O rly ?" *throws megid at customer's face*

SabZero
Jun 15, 2008, 02:26 PM
I'm sure there was a thread about this exact same issue.

In my view, since the planet Rykros just appeared (and has a huge orbit), there is no TTB vector to it. Like there's no train from Portugal to Marrocos, you can't just hop there, you need to go to the spacedock and hitch-hike a real spaceship :p

I also think it's too unknown for TTB to put a regular line to it. Besides, civilians aren't allowed there anyway :p

Retniwreven
Jun 15, 2008, 02:53 PM
Next thing you know, Rykros is going to become a major franchise-and-vacation getaway.
If we ever get to move there I'm going to laugh.

Crimson_HUmar
Jun 15, 2008, 03:01 PM
If Rykros contained the MAG simulation...theres a possibility Rykros can be...you know what.

Retniwreven
Jun 15, 2008, 03:21 PM
I'm only going to be worried if the next thing they pull out of it is a TTF simulation.

pikachief
Jun 15, 2008, 03:30 PM
Bel Pannon much?
Perhaps a less penguinlike version. =X

no no no the bel pannons run the synth store :D

Golto
Jun 15, 2008, 03:32 PM
The same moronic scientists that deemed Pluto no longer a planet deemed Rykros a planet. :p

Indica
Jun 15, 2008, 05:25 PM
lol, yea that is BS and I still consider Pluto a planet

Middle
Jun 15, 2008, 06:00 PM
Aren't HIVEs assimilated Satelites ? so i thought Rykross 'd be an assimilated Planet, that appeared through a dimensional rift ...
For me Rykross is a planet ... but its still a place that doesnt belong to the gurhal system ... so you have to travel through the gate on the fourth floor ...

btw ... someone thought of that:
Linear line missions end up @ S2 with level 80 i think ... will they add S3 with level 130+ or something what is very senseless for me that they do this high jumps ... (they do on many missions)
... and they should rebalance the MP of v1 missions or nerf the aoti MP ...

Weeaboolits
Jun 15, 2008, 06:16 PM
You know if it were a full-fledged planet Bruce would run the shops.

All of them.

A2K
Jun 15, 2008, 06:31 PM
If Rykros contained the MAG simulation...theres a possibility Rykros can be...you know what.

Of course! It must be Earth! What they found the MAG simulator on was an old PSO disc!

Stryker Diaz
Jun 15, 2008, 07:51 PM
I wish PS storylines were connected..... then we could just make that Ragol or earth xD dun dun dun back to AUW style datings xD

Kumlekar
Jun 15, 2008, 07:58 PM

they might just look like bel pannons.

Toguro
Jun 15, 2008, 07:59 PM
... and they should rebalance the MP of v1 missions or nerf the aoti MP ...Now why would you want to do this? There are plenty of V1 missions that give out good MP.

Ryno
Jun 15, 2008, 08:05 PM
to me I consider Rykros not a planet.. because when I leave my room ..there should be a new planet called Rykros.. not somthing thats joined with Cylez City..

Kerry157
Jun 15, 2008, 08:07 PM
http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/6605/rykrosqw8.png

Golto
Jun 15, 2008, 09:09 PM
To bad AOI's Rykros is red and not green. People really need to get over the fact that ST loves to reuse names even if they are unrelated.

Zos
Jun 15, 2008, 09:28 PM
According to the story missions it is a planet, but youre right ST is too lazy to make it a full planet... it is a DWARF planet :P

landman
Jun 16, 2008, 12:58 AM
There is no city with a landing zone in Rykros and there are no TTB vectors to it, that's why you can only access it from the spaceport, but it is a planet.

Yusaku_Kudou
Jun 16, 2008, 12:58 AM
lol, yea that is BS and I still consider Pluto a planet

Technically, it's not. Pluto is a Kuiper Belt Object. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_definition_of_planet

Pluto fails to meet the third condition to be considered a planet: "has 'cleared the neighbourhood (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleared_the_neighbourhood)' around its orbit."

Given the known circumstances, Rykros itself is not a planet, but simply the planet-sized HIVE the game suggests.

Indica
Jun 16, 2008, 02:48 AM
Technically, it's not. Pluto is a Kuiper Belt Object. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_definition_of_planet

Pluto fails to meet the third condition to be considered a planet: "has 'cleared the neighbourhood (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleared_the_neighbourhood)' around its orbit."

Given the known circumstances, Rykros itself is not a planet, but simply the planet-sized HIVE the game suggests.

Pluto has 3 moons that orbit around it. There is really no true scientific term for planet, It's all made up.

Majority of what scientists say I take with a grain of salt. It's all a bunch of mumbo jumbo "theory" bullshit to try and explain things. There is so much un-explained stuff in space that makes our laws of physics obsolete.

Finalzone
Jun 16, 2008, 03:25 AM
To bad AOI's Rykros is red and not green. People really need to get over the fact that ST loves to reuse names even if they are unrelated.

Possibly it is the same Rykros planet but affected by Dark Falz molecule. According to the story, the planet came from another dimension which theoretically mean something might happen on the old green Rykros thousand years ago. Let's not jump the gun yet as we barely scratch the surface.

Miyoko
Jun 16, 2008, 03:36 AM

You'd think so, untill they start flinging megid at you :(

A2K
Jun 16, 2008, 03:39 AM

Although I wouldn't go so far as to say they're one and the same, both the classic planet and Gurhal's parallel each other in very intentional ways--although with one rather big difference. I'm not going into delve into a discussion about that, though, as I don't really care to at the moment.

Pluto has 3 moons that orbit around it. There is really no true scientific term for planet, It's all made up.

Majority of what scientists say I take with a grain of salt. It's all a bunch of mumbo jumbo "theory" bullshit to try and explain things. There is so much un-explained stuff in space that makes our laws of physics obsolete.

While I do consider that debate over what a planet is to have been much ado about nothing (see the "continent" quote in Yusaku's Wikipedia link), labeling science "mumbo jumbo" or claiming that the laws of physics are "obsolete" is just nonsense. Scientific theories are the result of controlled experiments and observations (and complicated math, et cetera), not just random stuff pulled out of ether.

shadowsniper6
Jun 16, 2008, 05:35 AM
While I do consider that debate over what a planet is to have been much ado about nothing (see the "continent" quote in Yusaku's Wikipedia link), labeling science "mumbo jumbo" or claiming that the laws of physics are "obsolete" is just nonsense. Scientific theories are the result of controlled experiments and observations (and complicated math, et cetera), not just random stuff pulled out of ether. Maybe.... it could all be fake or not you never know like er gods they could be fake or not it all depends on how you the person looks at it lol .... earth is a BIG rock with green stuff on it like a moon that is a smaller rock with no green stuff on it pluto is a rock a very cold rock i guess never been there myself don't ever plan on it but still it all depends on what you think it could be sorry if anything is misspelled im kinda tired .... anyway science could be a bunch of nothing put together by crazy people that see O.o things or not ...

anyway i would like to have my room on this forth planet lolz

H3Av3NS PUNISH3R
Jun 16, 2008, 05:40 AM
if the Earth was a BIG rock, then you can just call it a meteor then. Most of the planet, about 75%, is made up of water. I doubt that you can call it a rock.^^

shadowsniper6
Jun 16, 2008, 05:45 AM
if the Earth was a BIG rock, then you can just call it a meteor then. Most of the planet, about 75%, is made up of water. I doubt that you can call it a rock.^^

whats under the water...... the parts of earth that have water also have ground under them ..... its not made up of water it is (75%) covered in water the earth is made up of molten rock and solid rock thats it really the water just happens to be on the rock ....

bored again ....back to art lvling in psu

Indica
Jun 16, 2008, 07:24 AM
While I do consider that debate over what a planet is to have been much ado about nothing (see the "continent" quote in Yusaku's Wikipedia link), labeling science "mumbo jumbo" or claiming that the laws of physics are "obsolete" is just nonsense. Scientific theories are the result of controlled experiments and observations (and complicated math, et cetera), not just random stuff pulled out of ether.

Im not saying all of Science is BS but a lot of it is random stuff pulled out of their ass. A theory is not the be all / end all final truth and answer. Majority of stuff in outer space is all theory.

Trying to figure out and solve everything in the universe and beyond with our physics would be flawed and obsolete is what I was saying.

A2K
Jun 16, 2008, 08:35 AM
Im not saying all of Science is BS but a lot of it is random stuff pulled out of their ass. A theory is not the be all / end all final truth and answer. Majority of stuff in outer space is all theory.

"Theory", to a scientist, does not mean "wild guess", ever. It's backed up thoroughly by years of observation and evidence. But does not mean they are infallible "end all final truths", either. Quite the contrary:

For the longest time, scholars believed that the Earth was at the center of the universe, and all that stuff in the sky orbited around us. Hell, they even formulated equations that predicted their movement quite accurately based on this model. But then a guy named Copernicus comes along and... the rest is history.

Trying to figure out and solve everything in the universe and beyond with our physics would be flawed and obsolete is what I was saying.

Which is why theories are disproven and new ones are proposed and tested. The people working on these things work towards that end.

Tiyr
Jun 16, 2008, 09:10 AM

I generally try to avoid ad hominems but you really ought to understand the meaning of words before you use them. Scientific theory is not the same thing as what people mean when they say they have a theory in casual conversation. And I have no idea what you think obsolete means in that sentence.

If you don't know anything about something, you probably shouldn't pretend your opinions on the matter mean anything, or you end up sounding like the senator who thought the internet was a bunch of tubes.

shadowsniper6
Jun 16, 2008, 10:12 AM
internet was a bunch of tubes.
OMG!!!!1 its not? and where are you all going with this? how did the Planet SIZED hive go to theories and if science is wrong or not?

Cracka_J
Jun 16, 2008, 10:43 AM
"Theory", to a scientist, does not mean "wild guess", ever. It's backed up thoroughly by years of observation and evidence. But does not mean they are infallible "end all final truths", either. Quite the contrary:

For the longest time, scholars believed that the Earth was at the center of the universe, and all that stuff in the sky orbited around us. Hell, they even formulated equations that predicted their movement quite accurately based on this model. But then a guy named Copernicus comes along and... the rest is history.

Which is why theories are disproven and new ones are proposed and tested. The people working on these things work towards that end.

Coming up with theories and formulas is one thing, like you said, usually backed by years of observation and evidence.

"Classifying" something is completely different, as is the situation with "classifying" a planet, whether it be pluto, rykros, or whatever. It is a set of restrictions, assembled and determined by people, not laws of nature, formulas, theories, etc.

For example I can classify all books by setting a restriction that they books must be hardcover. I have several books that are not hardcover, but because I have set this silly restriction when I began classifying, my non-hardcover books are not books anymore. I must now classify them as "magazines" or the ilk because of a restriction I set when I began classification.

I believe this is what indica was trying to point out. What determines a planet isn't a law of nature or an educated formula/equation. It was a sorting classification made by man, and will likely change in the future once someone else presents a more persuasive sorting method. It's not scientific at all, it's human bullshittery at the highest. Go science.

pikachief
Jun 16, 2008, 10:47 AM
Its SEGA

Its A GAME

Who CARES

Yusaku_Kudou
Jun 16, 2008, 03:08 PM
"Planet" is not a theory, but a term used to describe objects in space under given circumstances. Henceforth, Pluto cannot be considered a planet. There is no theory to the definition.

Cracka_J
Jun 16, 2008, 03:29 PM
"Planet" is not a theory, but a term used to describe objects in space under given circumstances. Henceforth, Pluto cannot be considered a planet. There is no theory to the definition.

what you just stated is classification.

pluto is no longer considered a planet because their classification for "planets" changed.

just like I can classify anyone as an idiot that doesn't agree with me. doesn't matter if I'm right or wrong, because my classification method or "circumstances" have already been determined.

see how easy making things up is? and I did it all with "science".
if you need a more in-depth explanation, I refer you to my post above.

Realmz
Jun 16, 2008, 03:47 PM
to the astrological community, Pluto is no longer a planet, because the International Astronomical Union, a group that was made to make the classifications for astrological objects, so that all astronomers, and astrophysicists could all have terminology that they all knew and understood, instead of everything just making up their own stuff.

Pluto being, or not being, a planet has no real bearing on anyone other than them. Since Rykros isn't real, it's perfectly acceptable to say that it doesn't have to have the classifications of the IAU applied to it.

that being said, i'd probably consider it a planet if i cared.

but i don't.

nor do i see how wanting to have everyone in your field of study on the same page is "human bullshittery"

Tiyr
Jun 16, 2008, 03:47 PM
Actually, the classification didn't change, it was their knowledge about the makeup and origin of Pluto that changed.

To use your example of books, its more like you owned a stack of back issues of Newsweek and always called them books, then discovered, oh, hey it's a periodical magazine. Whoops!

Retniwreven
Jun 16, 2008, 03:50 PM
INTERNET.
SERIOUS BUSINESS.

Tiyr
Jun 16, 2008, 04:02 PM
INTERNET.
SERIOUS BUSINESS.

I think all prior and subsequent posts in this thread pretty much just got owned.

stukasa
Jun 16, 2008, 04:17 PM
The same moronic scientists that deemed Pluto no longer a planet deemed Rykros a planet. :p
If Pluto is now a plutoid (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plutonian_object), let's just say Rykros is a rykroid and call it a day. :cake:

Weeaboolits
Jun 16, 2008, 05:11 PM
Rykros is too badass to be a planet, vector tracks are for pansies.

RegulusHikari
Jun 16, 2008, 05:39 PM
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w269/Regulus_stopusingmyname/PSU/motivator3631411.jpg

RemiusTA
Jun 16, 2008, 06:01 PM
Pluto is too small to be considered a planet anymore. Why is that so hard to grasp, its not like any of you will ever be going there in your lifetime, and even if you did, im sure you would agree with them once you got there.

Yusaku_Kudou
Jun 17, 2008, 06:29 AM
Nah, it's not too small. Anyway, it's still considered a "dwarf planet," just not one of the major planets. Criteria and such.

Kerry157
Jun 17, 2008, 02:56 PM
Honestly if you are a person who doesn't care about something, don't go around telling people they are dumb for talking about something just because it happens to be of no interest to YOU.

Dragwind
Jun 17, 2008, 03:09 PM
Whoa whoa, I think the point about Pluto has been made. How about Rykros again?

So if it must have something within its own orbit (if I read this correctly) to be considered a planet, then we would have to wait until word of it owning its own satellites. Until then, it seems Rykros might just be a incoming satellite to Gurhal itself.

Perhaps it isn't a planet at all, but a large organism? Just proposing possible food for thought.

A2K
Jun 17, 2008, 03:27 PM
Whoa whoa, I think the point about Pluto has been made. How about Rykros again?

So if it must have something within its own orbit (if I read this correctly) to be considered a planet, then we would have to wait until word of it owning its own satellites. Until then, it seems Rykros might just be a incoming satellite to Gurhal itself.

Perhaps it isn't a planet at all, but a large organism? Just proposing possible food for thought.

It's all worthless bickering over semantics. The game itself calls it "Dark Planet Rykros" during one of the prologues or epilogues of the story missions, so I say with that precedent it's all right to call it a planet, regardless of the details.