PDA

View Full Version : Pandora sucks

Sgt_Shligger
Jun 17, 2008, 03:30 AM
She brought everything bad to mankind and makes a shitty radio station. Hope isn't enough compensation for me because I was hoping for an hour straight and nothing good came on.

Weeaboolits
Jun 17, 2008, 05:45 AM
Leave the box alone.

TalHex
Jun 17, 2008, 10:33 AM
hey i like that radio station... has some good techno... and thats it...

Solstis
Jun 17, 2008, 12:50 PM
It supposedly gets better over time.

astuarlen
Jun 17, 2008, 12:50 PM
I just registered at Pandora to try it out, but I really like last.fm for finding new music. Try?

Solstis
Jun 17, 2008, 12:52 PM
Last.fm usually gives me a good list of music. Unfortunately, they usually tend to be bands that I already tried and didn't like, but at least it hits my general range.

Sord
Jun 17, 2008, 01:04 PM
i've found making stations by song works a lot better than making stations by bands on pandora

astuarlen
Jun 17, 2008, 01:05 PM
Then I shall plant some seeds.
I feel like a farmer!

Question for those who have used Pandora (successfully): Is it better to add lots of artists/seeds of reasonable similarity to a station or keep it to a few? I don't want to dilute the gene pool, but I also want plenty of variety, of course.

Edit: AHHH, Pandora is in my head! Kind of. Or it knows something I don't, because I added
Caribou
Elysian Fields
Fischerspooner
Goldfrapp
Holy Fuck
Ladytron
The Knife
Venus Hum
Yeasayer to my station, and it came up with "Bank Job" by Barenaked Ladies. I DO love that song (BNL are my #2 on last.fm, though I haven't been listening lately), but it doesn't sound like those artists to me. :???:
Occult powers, clearly.

Sgt_Shligger
Jun 17, 2008, 01:12 PM
I think the answer is find a better radio station :clown: You're asking for contradictory results though. A more narrowed music field but with variety? What manner of musical sorcery are you trying to devise?

I'm liking last.fm myself.

*EDIT*

Also, don't quote me but I recall Pandora getting a lot of smaller bands. Am I right on this or just foggy in memory?

astuarlen
Jun 17, 2008, 01:19 PM
You talkin' to me, hligg?

Is it better to add lots of artists/seeds of reasonable similarity to a station or keep it to a few? I don't want to dilute the gene pool, but I also want plenty of variety, of course.
Meaning I want to find artists in the same vein, but I don't want to get the same four over and over. I haven't ever used Pandora, so that's why I'm asking. So far I seem to be getting a pretty good range, though.
We will see what develops.

Sgt_Shligger
Jun 17, 2008, 01:25 PM
I might just not like Pandora because I'm really picky. Last.fm is pretty neat, it's finding some good progressive rock (FYI, never touch AOL Radio for Progressive Rock :disapprove:)

astuarlen
Jun 17, 2008, 01:30 PM
Now you have to give us your link to last.fm (http://www.last.fm/user/chickenfingers/) and join our Way Cool group (http://www.last.fm/group/PSOW+Forever).
I guess I can't comment on the station functionality, 'cause I have only used it a couple times. The previews on many artist pages are superhandy, though.

Toadthroat
Jun 17, 2008, 02:41 PM
Pandora gets better over time. Of course at first its gunna suck because you haven't really tweaked it to your liking. But after a while, when you've given enough thumbs up and thumbs down and added a few more artist/song seeds, the radio stations are pretty much on point 24/7.
Of course if you have an odd and wide range of musical tastes things might get weird.
S'why I have a station for each different genre of music I like, or maybe just a certain time era or something like that.
Give it a try, tbh Pandora has helped me find more music I like than last.fm. But I'm not counting the PEOPLE in last.fm who have helped me find plenty of great music.

TalHex
Jun 17, 2008, 02:44 PM
only problem with pandora is they don't have much in the way of foreign music... kind of sucks for me considering i hate most modern american music

astuarlen
Jun 17, 2008, 03:24 PM
Yeah, I basically think of last.fm as a way to find other people with other opinions, beyond my friends--especially if I'm looking for a rec along the lines of "oh, if you liked X, try Y" when I can't guarantee anyone I know has heard of X.

Now I feel compelled to toss two completely different artists into Pandora's box and see what pandemonium ensues.

Sgt_Shligger
Jun 17, 2008, 03:58 PM
My way cool profile you need to invite (http://www.last.fm/user/Shligger/). Haven't used Pandora in awhile so maybe I'll try it again soon. For now I'll use last.fm.

Neith
Jun 17, 2008, 04:02 PM
Last I checked, Pandora had been pulled from the UK, I can't access it anymore because of some regulations.

last.fm is pretty decent, though I wish it would stop recommending bands I hate :lol:

Toadthroat
Jun 17, 2008, 04:12 PM
There is a site called openPandora or sommat like that that is open to everyone and even has compatibility with last.fm

astuarlen
Jun 17, 2008, 05:44 PM
There is a site called openPandora or sommat like that that is open to everyone and even has compatibility with last.fm

Doesn't seem to be submitting to last.fm. ;-; Maybe I can figure out the problem later, but right now the memory hoggage is too much. Blegh.