PDA

View Full Version : PSU It's just a rumor but....

Middle
Jun 17, 2008, 08:56 AM
... what's gonna be happen to ps2 users if it will happen ?
There are Rumors that Microsoft wants to buy SEGA to push their xbox 360 sales figures...
no comment on MS or sega yet ...
but its possible ...
I see no change for PC and xbox users ... but i think sega would have to let down the PS2 ... maybe good for the game ? ... but bad for the population on PC servers...
(I'm on PC btw.... I'm just interessted)

Cracka_J
Jun 17, 2008, 08:59 AM
sega is actually owned by Sammy, jp....happened around '02 I believe? around the dreamcast downfall.
if microsoft was going to do that, they would have to buyout the sega name division from sammy, or buy sammy. not gonna happen any other way.

r00tabaga
Jun 17, 2008, 09:09 AM
Interesting I must say! I haven't heard that one but it doesn't sound very far fetched, seeing that MS is always aggressive in it's moves to grow...

Middle
Jun 17, 2008, 09:09 AM
i know that sega do more than software production in japan ... but when they would only buy the software developers ... i think that is what would going on ... merging is very "in" now ... look at activision and blizzard ... i think it could be only a question of $$$$ ! that would not be the problem for MS ...
I dont believe/hope it either but ... I'm afraid what would happen to sega ... and psu ...
maybe sega would become like Rare: ... bad ...

Arada
Jun 17, 2008, 09:10 AM
And even then, PS2 is absolutely not a competitor for XBox 360, PS3.

Anyways, no need to worry, Microsoft will not buy Sega. Not soon at least.

RemiusTA
Jun 17, 2008, 09:56 AM
And even then, PS2 is absolutely not a competitor for XBox 360, PS3.

You arent serious right?

And no, Microsoft will not be buying SEGA. Thats one of those rumors you dispel immediately unless you hear it from either Microsoft or Sega themselves

Colonel Mustard
Jun 17, 2008, 10:00 AM
sega is actually owned by Sammy, jp....happened around '02 I believe? around the dreamcast downfall.
if microsoft was going to do that, they would have to buyout the sega name from sammy, or buy sammy. not gonna happen any other way.Not to pick nits, of course, but Sega is, more than likely, I bet, a division of Sammy. As such, Microsoft could perhaps buy that division from Sammy, and this, my friend, also of course, is rather different from buying, merely, the name "Sega" or having to purchase, in its entirety, which is a good fair bit, Sammy itself, the corporation.

McLaughlin
Jun 17, 2008, 10:05 AM
Not to pick nits, of course, but Sega is, more than likely, I bet, a division of Sammy. As such, Microsoft could perhaps buy that division from Sammy, and this, my friend, also of course, is rather different from buying, merely, the name "Sega" or having to purchase, in its entirety, which is a good fair bit, Sammy itself, the corporation.

Holy commas Batman!

They wouldn't have to buy Sammy, they can just buy the division.

Why they'd want to with the crap they've been making lately is another question entirely.

Cracka_J
Jun 17, 2008, 11:13 AM
lol commas indeed.
but ya, I agree. I should have put division instead of "name" in my post.

nothing a little editing can't change ;P

AlphaDragoon
Jun 17, 2008, 11:37 AM
Not gonna happen.

And the PS2 version would only be cancelled if they ever decided to end the game forever. Japan not having PS2 version = DEAD.

Kylie
Jun 17, 2008, 11:41 AM
Not gonna happen.

And the PS2 version would only be cancelled if they ever decided to end the game forever. Japan not having PS2 version = DEAD.
Indeed. There's no way all the Japanese players would switch to 360, and if they kept up the PC version, why close off the PS2 service? If you think they'd merge PC and 360, forget it; that's way too much work.

*adds this to list of silly PSU rumors*

Mia-chan
Jun 17, 2008, 12:49 PM
Yeah, that would suck so bad.

Sega wouldn't do that, though.

There are alot of PS2 users...(Like me lol)

D1ABOLIK
Jun 17, 2008, 01:26 PM
I wish they would. PS2 has been holding this game back from what it could have been. No offense to PS2 players- but this should have been a PC, 360, PS3 game. Not PS2.

AlphaDragoon
Jun 17, 2008, 02:06 PM
I wish they would. PS2 has been holding this game back from what it could have been. No offense to PS2 players- but this should have been a PC, 360, PS3 game. Not PS2.

Too bad Japan LOVES PS2 and isn't too happy with PS3.

Zellis
Jun 17, 2008, 03:36 PM

Who does love the the Ps3? lawl

Kylie
Jun 17, 2008, 03:50 PM
Mostly because of the library, which will improve with time. However, it'd be financial suicide if PSU had been on the PS2 and not the PS3 at the time it came out; I don't know how well it'd do now either. When FFXIII and RE5 come out, or after this Christmas, it might be time to say the next installment should be next-gen onry. Until then, non.

Dragwind
Jun 17, 2008, 03:57 PM
If I recall, isn't there a contract to continue making the PSU series on the Ps2 until its death?

Either way, it seems like a fishy rumor. Until I see a reliable source, or even half reliable, I'm not so sure I'd believe it. Even if it were to happen, there are still titles in the works for the PS3 and Wii, so it wouldn't happen most likely until those and the PSU series is finished.

Sekani
Jun 17, 2008, 03:58 PM
This rumor would have been much more believable four or five years ago.

r00tabaga
Jun 17, 2008, 04:02 PM
PS2 was the most popular console during the dev time of PSU so it only made sense to port it over to 360 after it gained huge US popularity as well. This game still has some legs and w/a second expansion for all systems (PC included) I think that we can still see some improvement. I would personally prefer a 360/PC exclusive expansion w/all the fixings but I know that's a pipedream.......I CAN DREAM DAMMIT! :)

goldbrease
Jun 17, 2008, 04:09 PM
this rumor has been around ever since xbox was released.

theres also Microsoft will buy sony, Microsoft will buy mac.
Microsoft will buy Nintendo.
Microsoft will buy the united states.

Indica
Jun 17, 2008, 04:37 PM
It seems this is an 8yo rumor. I did a google search and seen rumors of merger back in 2000 and 2003. Sega said this is not true.

SonicTMP
Jun 17, 2008, 04:42 PM
Meh japan might run microsoft windows but not the console. Sega has it's roots in enough areas that there's no way microsoft would be able to get buy them out.

And even if by wild crazy chance it DID happen. Gates is a smart businessman. Ain't no way he'd kill off support on PSU for ps2 when it's racking in cash from japan.

Follisimo
Jun 17, 2008, 04:51 PM
Not gonna happen.

I'd love MS to buy Sega and then we can piss on all the Japanese and make them suffer with crappy updates and be behind our schedule. Cheap Japanese need to upgrade to a better system anyways. PS2 does nothing but hold the game back on future expansions if they were to happen.

Golto
Jun 17, 2008, 05:42 PM
Funny thing is that the 360 has been responsible for a lot of our delays of updates.

Ken_Silver
Jun 17, 2008, 08:58 PM
LOL at topic. I don't see Microsoft buying Sega at all. Maybe Nintendo, but not Sega. And for the record, none of them are likely.

The only two credible rumors that could come out, involving Sega that I would believe and they are:

1) Sega is breaking up Sonic Team and is going to reassign all of their task to other companies.

2) Something involving Nintendo getting the rights to use Sonic the Hedgehog and his likeness and related trademarks or something about Sega making a long term partnership with them. (Believe it or not, Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games sold a lot of copies. Why not try to rack in on that success when it should have been a failure?)

goldbrease
Jun 18, 2008, 12:25 AM
ms buying nintendo very unlikely. ms buying sega, very unlikely.
nintendo buying sega, unlikely but possible. sega merging into nintendo very possible.

Ken_Silver
Jun 18, 2008, 02:48 AM
ms buying nintendo very unlikely. ms buying sega, very unlikely.
nintendo buying sega, unlikely but possible. sega merging into nintendo very possible.

The truth has been spoken. :D