PDA

View Full Version : Best race for Guntecher? purpose of ranged combat MAGs?

dreamcaster0
Jun 19, 2008, 11:02 PM
I'm starting a Guntecher and I'm wondering what the best race would be... Also, are Guntechers any good at all anyways? If not I'll try Wartecher - in which case what would be best for that? I enjoy hybrids...

My next question, what are the ranged MAGs for? I bought one from the shop in Clyez (Raduke) only to realize I couldn't equip it with ANY ranged weapons because it goes in the hand slot that the guns went into.

Miyoko
Jun 19, 2008, 11:09 PM
Any race would work for GT, really. Beasts might struggle a bit, since GT doesn't have fG's insane ATA mod. Human and Newman are both good, since they can take advantage of the TP, and casts are good 'cause they have stats that compliment rangers, and, GT's support techs don't really rely on TP.

Whether or not GT's are any good or not... Well... Depends how you define "good"... >_>

dreamcaster0
Jun 19, 2008, 11:18 PM
Thanks for the reply... Still want to know what those damn ranged MAGs are for! :)

Miyoko
Jun 19, 2008, 11:20 PM
Oh, sorry:

They're like handguns that fire automaticly. They're best used on melee types (AF/FG). They fire without you having to push any buttons, which means, while swinging a saber, dagger, slicer, or any one handed weapon around, you can have an R-Mag shooting at enemies at the same time, without having to do so manually.

pikachief
Jun 19, 2008, 11:21 PM
their for if u have a tech weapon in the other hand or for some reason a striking weapon.

they work best on acrofighters. do 3 300's with mine while attacking with my dagger, its nice :P

BIGGIEstyle
Jun 19, 2008, 11:38 PM
The race I see the most playing GT is Cast, I guess the fact that Casts make great ranged characters and you don't need TP for buffs or debuffs makes them a good gunner class.

I've tinkered with GT on my newman and it works okay, but they've got less oomph to the bullets.

As for Ranged Mags, the best application I've seen them used for are SE application while fighting. A friend of mine has an AT with an ice frauduke and a daiga misaki together, and when he fights like that EVERYTHING is frozen in a matter of seconds.

Also some R-Mags have other SEs like the ATP down from the sonichi from MAG, and I believe there is a b rank one that lowers DFP.

They're nice for putting statuses on enemies while you beat the stuffing out of them.

Kerry157
Jun 19, 2008, 11:49 PM
He is wondering why a guntecher would use an R-Mag and the only real way to use one is with a wand.

goldbrease
Jun 19, 2008, 11:53 PM
i see them combo ed with slicers and daggers alot.

Kerry157
Jun 20, 2008, 12:35 AM
Read: Guntecher

CelestialBlade
Jun 20, 2008, 12:39 AM
Guntechers aren't going to do the most DPS, but they have a huge amount of variety and their usefulness in a party is largely unsung. My favorite class, by far.

You really can't go wrong with choosing a race. Many people chose CAST because Teching as a GT used to be pointless, but now we have excellent TP so any race works well. I have a Newman GT and she's become pretty lethal when she combines high-level bullets with her Technics, and she's excellent at supporting a party. Who needs Fortetechers when she's around? Or if you want to go with a little more bullet power while sacrificing Technic power, Human is a great choice. Both races receive a racial stat bonus for GT.

Nice thing is, if an enemy is resistant to Bullets, it will not be resistant to Technics, and vice-versa (unless it resists all attacks). My Newman GT hardly needs Killer Shot for robot-filled missions because her Technics are so powerful now.

Ahkaskar
Jun 20, 2008, 12:52 AM
If only you could use a crossbow with an R-MAG...

About the only thing you could do with the R-MAG is put it with a dagger or a saber. I'd prefer the dagger of the two, but I think in the end, I'd really just rather not use the R-MAG at all.

Kion
Jun 20, 2008, 12:54 AM
As far as the R-mag / wand combination; it's pretty bad ass. it combines the multihit SE capabilities of wands with a penetrating hit high SE RCSM. The result is similar to what biggie was describing with with acrotecher, just more. With a dark RCSM and ramegid, everything in the room is confused and crammed together in a huge brawl while i continue to apply cast and rack up tons of multihits. Also today i discovered megid + RSCM. Hit 6 enemies with megid for 500 each per cast combined with a R mag hitting the same six enemies. I've never seen a spawn kick the bucket so fast.

Ri0T
Jun 20, 2008, 01:03 AM
Wow. I had no idea RCSMs were that cool. Gotta pull mine out more now and test some combos.

I was stoked to try Guntecher, but it's just a class that doesn't mesh with me well for some reason. I made a Caseal just to play GT, but she's an AT now. XD

Ahkaskar
Jun 20, 2008, 01:06 AM
As far as the R-mag / wand combination; it's pretty bad ass. it combines the multihit SE capabilities of wands with a penetrating hit high SE RCSM. The result is similar to what biggie was describing with with acrotecher, just more. With a dark RCSM and ramegid, everything in the room is confused and crammed together in a huge brawl while i continue to apply cast and rack up tons of multihits. Also today i discovered megid + RSCM. Hit 6 enemies with megid for 500 each per cast combined with a R mag hitting the same six enemies. I've never seen a spawn kick the bucket so fast.

Is this all done with a dark R-MAG?

GaNksTa
Jun 20, 2008, 01:07 AM
Right now my F CAST 102/20 I hit about 1,050 each hit (Sum of both bullets). To do this I use fairly easy to get things; 5/10 Arb Boas, lvl 28 Twin Dark (fairly :p), and my lvl 24 buffs (which should be even more easier to get after Rebalance). So while being able to throw some pretty nice numbers you also have access to support techs for you and your party; which means no hauling around Moons, Moon Xs, Sols, Stars, Megi/Agta/Reta,Defa,Zodia, Monomates, Dimates, and Trimates like all the other gunner classes have to- 12 extra slots! Personally I think it's a great class; some people may say otherwise.. but forget them!

Hiero_Glyph
Jun 20, 2008, 01:27 AM
Shadoogs (RCSMs) are not perfect. As they are AI controlled they automatically fire at their own targets and only at enemies within a specific range. Melee weapons are ideal as they keep you within close proximity of the enemies and allow your Shadoog to fire at enemies.

When using wands the ideal technics are ones that can pierce multiple targets (Barta, Zonde, Megid), area effect technics (Gi- series, Megiverse), and multi-target technics (Ra- series, Dam- series, Nosdiga). As wands can link up to 2 technic PAs you should optimize your build based upon the element you decide to use. Typically this means using a multiple target technic (Barta or Rabatra for example) along with an area technic (Gibarta or Dambarta) depending upon the situation.

Criss
Jun 20, 2008, 01:28 AM
Any class can be a good GT. But the class you choose will affect how exactly you play that class. Since GTs have pretty good TP now, you can actually use techs for damage as a newman or human, while you'll focus more on guns if you're a cast or beast. Beasts actually make really good GTs, maybe even better than casts at high level. More ATP for damage, and still enough ATA from the class mod to rarely ever miss, especially if you use zodial. Plus you get decent enough TP to make techs still a good damage option against bullet-resistant enemies.

So really, race doesn't really matter. All it changes is if you want to focus more on techs or guns. And about R-mags, they'd probably be most useful on newman or human GTs that use wands often for damage. Even more so because r-mags' damage is based off TP, of which these races have more.

Kion
Jun 20, 2008, 02:04 AM
Is this all done with a dark R-MAG?
yeah, it's done with an R-mag on white beast. I leveled all of my dark techs solo for a chance at love inforno, so it's become my place to go to stuff out. As far as S rank mags go, ground stuns, ice freezes, light causes sleep, so pretty much every element except fire will help limit the mobility of mobs, so i recommend using proper element. SE4 freeze on an RCSM paired with SE2 (SE3 once we get level 21 techs) rabarta, or hitting mobs in a row with barta pretty much follows the same story as a dark mag.

CelestialBlade
Jun 20, 2008, 10:12 AM
I simply can't find a place in my Newman GT's palette for R-mags. Pairing them with a Wand is fairly useless considering GTs specialize in offhand guns, and melee is absolutely pointless on a Newman GT so I'd rather have a TECH-mag paired with a Wand.

I find R-mags far more useful on Acrofighters and Acrotechers, mostly the former.

dreamcaster0
Jun 20, 2008, 10:30 AM
So would a Beast GT basically be out of luck on casting spells for damage, or would a human be better if I kind of want to do everything?

Kion
Jun 20, 2008, 11:01 AM
level 16 megid, 10/10 magical wand, Guntecher 20, Orpaforce, level 30 retier, 26% Fraduke
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z88/kion_01/psu20080620_115549_028.jpg
700/hit megid, 400/hit RCSM, 5 hits ~5,500 damage per cast (assuming you hit them all). with level 21 techs that will be much easier.

as for race, beast sounds like a pretty good balance. the one area GT lacks in is melee resistant mobs. Running into a drua or any similar monster sucks pulling out a dagger or sword and poking them to death with level 10 skills. Being able to nano would be a good ally in those situations.

strikershadow
Jun 20, 2008, 12:46 PM
Let me give you my 2 cents. Ive been a guntecher for like my whole PSU game. Im a human, level 77. ive played a few of the races and classes, the other highest one is a level 31.

First off a melee weapon is great, I use a dagger and the attack mag, The reason I use a dagger is cause its quick, and the PA where it throws the creature in the air is great, also in WB it knocks the big creatures on its side which helps oout a lot.

Im a twin pistol freak, I love those weapons and arguably to me there the best weapon a GT can use, hold the straff buttun (L1 for PS2) and just shoot into a croud, you will level decent since your tagging everything.

A rifle is a great weapon to have for the bosses, and to be farther away.

then I have a wand and a mag with the four buffs, Its great being able to buff the party, and when your soloing its nice to give the PM's a buff.

the next pallett is a want and a mag with Resta and anti (or whatever it is, it cures poisons and sleep and all that junk) and on the mag i have 2 spells, there both ice spells, the one where its a ball of ice in front of you, and the one where its a circle around you.

the 6th pallet... i actually dont have anything equipped in it, I sometimes carry an extra twin pistols with a different bullet in it. usually freeze or another status affect.

for the elements i use in the main twin pistols, i use dark bullets to infect, and try to infect all creatures. the rifle is ice, i use that to use the scope and hit whatever the main hunter is attacking.

all in all i think this is one of the best classes, its not the best class in the sense for solo. but if your always playing with people its great for support. the only problem i found is its my human thats the guntecher... i really wish it was a cast or a beast because the nano blast and the SUV really add a punch. but a human is just as good :D

Sexy_Raine
Jun 20, 2008, 01:01 PM
Depend on what the want more. If you don't care for offense techs, only using bullets then go CAST(not beast, it's pointless). If you want a balance between the 2, then go Human or newman.

CelestialBlade
Jun 20, 2008, 01:37 PM
I'll do a little race breakdown.

Human - Choose Human if you want the most balance possible. You'll be all-around decent at attack with Bullets and with Technics, and your support will be more than adequate. Only disadvantage is that your attack power will still be low in comparison to a Fortegunner, so you may want to invest in Bullets that inflict good SEs for non-solo missions, though PAs like Yak Zagenga will still make you strong.

Newman - My personal favorite. Lowest ATP of the races, but also the highest TP. And if you look at stats, the gap in TP growth between the races is *much* more significant than the gap in ATP growth, thus I chose Newman. Newman GTs are the *ultimate* support class, as you have very powerful attack Technics, the best possible support for GT, and GT's innate excellence at spreading SEs. Other individual classes excel more at each individual skill, but nobody can combine them like a Newman GT. Keep a balanced palette of guns and Technic weapons (Yak Zagenga is highly recommended), and you'll be doom incarnate.

CAST - Used to be the clear best choice for GT, but I'm not so sure anymore considering how powerful the Technic side of GT has become. You have excellent ATP, the highest ATA possible for a GT (not that that means anything), and most importantly, SUV weapons. To me, those make the CAST option stand out. Unfortunately you likely won't be able to rely on offensive Technics and should probably stick with Melee for your alternative to Bullets (though GT melee *sucks*). Still, can't go wrong.

Beast - Most underrated GT. A lot of people want to make the ATA argument here, and I say it means absolutely nothing. Anyone with an ATA over 300 is not going to have any problems in the game, and Beasts easily attain that because of GT's ATA modifier. Highest ATP in the game and doesn't suck at Technics as bad as a CAST does. My only real gripe with this class is the nanoblast option. Your ATP as a GT really won't be high enough to fully take advantage of a power-based nanoblast, so I'd probably go with invincibility here.

I personally recommend Human or Newman.

panzer_unit
Jun 20, 2008, 01:56 PM
Beast - Most underrated GT. A lot of people want to make the ATA argument here, and I say it means absolutely nothing.

Spoken like a true 130/20 who's fighting lv100-104 monsters most of the time. ATA matters a lot against high-EVP enemy types at equal levels, and against damn near everything as you're leveling up since it's all like 50 levels higher than you.

Akaimizu
Jun 20, 2008, 02:04 PM
If you want to get the most out of the class, especially if you want to balance thing, you'll likely carry around the amount of weapons and stuff to make a Heavy-toting ForteGunner blush.

On the other thing, it's about options, but not about any single powerful thing. A lot of your arsenal is situational so I consider it among one of the classes that swaps weapons in their pallette, the most.

That's also part of the fun. As a guntecher, you are the Gunner that doesn't spend all day pressing 'X'.

Oddly enough, you have utilization across the field with the weapons, yet amongst your highest damage weapons are the stuff you don't get S rank in. Go figure. Still, you can use them, and that means a lot.

I've played a GT since they were available in the game, and there's been a lot of changes over time for the class. Even quite a few paradigm changes for various style of support or attack you're going for.

The Ranged Mag was an interesting addition, however, it doesn't have to be your primary if you don't want. The R-mags can only be used with 3 things a GT can use. A dagger, a Saber, and a Wand. It really sounded like a silly addition until ST decided to do a major boost to the GT TP stat. This boost makes R-mags way more usable even though they are mostly for SE. Back before the boost, I hardly considered it, but I already used it well on an AT, who already had their good TP.

On one hand, they are also used to supplement damage with whatever you're doing in your other hand. Never underestimate the power of simultaneous action. You simply add what it does to what you do (appropriately) and you'll often find that it supplements a major additive of damage. A lot of times, even with an above half-grinded Galdike, an extra 1000 each time it fires.) Still, the SE is worth it. A good fire R-Mag is very good at affecting even some stubborn larger creatures, in the game. All the while, you're doing what you do to use your Melee PA on multi-hit bullet resistant foes, or casting that tech or too, casting Giresta, etc. Multi-tasking at its finest. It's like you became two characters. (And believe me, using an R-mag while you do maintenance stuff like casting some support spell is quite therapeutic. You often get this anxiety about how much time you aren't fighting mobs while you're casting support techs, even with a Har Quick. That combo alleviates that feeling because you're still hitting stuff for good damage and/or SE while casting non-attack stuff.)

Still, I know I'm a Support gunner and a Support techer at heart, so my pallette is balanced mostly towards that goal. I typically only have 1 pallette slot with the R-mag and a wand/or Saber. Mainly because you don't really need that many pallette slots to perform that dual function. There are times when I want to use it, and often enough to have that take up a permanent single pallette slot. My abilities are mainly to disable and/or hamper the enemies to make things easier to deal with, and make it so my entire party defeat their foes faster and safer than without me. All the while, constantly working up PAs, keeping the party buffed, making tech/bullet combinations, and lots of experimentation of (does this go with this?) in it.

You're not going to make speed records, but work in those PAs and you wont run into a situation you can't handle yourself. You'll definitely find situations that if you had somebody of another class there, you'll know just what to do to make them KICK IT'S PROVERBIAL HIND to next tuesday, in a way they rarely get to do before.

As far as the ATA, I fight the toughest monsters available, all the time. ATA is a strange statistic, mostly because of exactly how it seems to make the difference. I actually don't really see myself, as a human, doing much better at hitting mobs as a GT than a beast doing the same job. Maybe it's luck, or perhaps the ATA that makes a noticible difference against them, is higher than both of our races.

CelestialBlade
Jun 20, 2008, 02:24 PM
Spoken like a true 130/20 who's fighting lv100-104 monsters most of the time. ATA matters a lot against high-EVP enemy types at equal levels, and against damn near everything as you're leveling up since it's all like 50 levels higher than you.
I speak as someone using a Solid / Power S since level 50, too. If zeroes are a big problem, a good ATA unit can fix that pretty quick until your levels get higher.

ATA is a diminishing return stat, it only matters early in the game. ATA-boosting units have very significant results early on in the game, but don't do much of anything later on and you can trade it for an ATP unit. So yeah, early on it does make a difference, but for most of your time in PSU, it won't matter. And I personally build for the future, not for a small portion of my character's career.

My female Beast, Ciarra, used to be a Wartecher way back when. In other words, abysmally low ATA. Yes, it was tons of zeroes in the early levels. But it was nothing a Stella / Hit S couldn't solve.

Akaimizu
Jun 20, 2008, 02:31 PM
That was part of the big GT discussion on the official forums, back then. Most of us were saying, does race ATA really matter anymore on the class? It just seemed like it really was a diminishing stat return.

On the other hand, nothing says that future updates won't balance players and mobs in a way that these more subtle changes in ATA, between races, will factor in more.

Kion
Jun 20, 2008, 02:59 PM

I'm going to agree with Typheros on this one. Don't forget GT gets level 30 support, so casting zodial on occasion to fend away 0's isn't too hard. Also as a gunner class, the ATA mod is decent, so it may get off to a slow start, but i doubt there'd be any problems by the time the class hit 10.

CelestialBlade
Jun 20, 2008, 03:03 PM
On the other hand, nothing says that future updates won't balance players and mobs in a way that these more subtle changes in ATA, between races, will factor in more.
Yeah, never know. It's like the people who made CAST GTs because they thought GTs would always suck at Technics.

I say you're overall safe as a Newman and especially as a Human. Since Beasts and CASTs are so specialized, they're very vulnerable to modifications in hybrid classes.

pikachief
Jun 20, 2008, 03:27 PM
Yeah, never know. It's like the people who made CAST GTs because they thought GTs would always suck at Technics.

I say you're overall safe as a Newman and especially as a Human. Since Beasts and CASTs are so specialized, they're very vulnerable to modifications in hybrid classes.

i made a cast guntecher cuz i like the way female casts look and i like SUVs and guntecher is my favorite class :P

I was actually at first going to make it male but i wanted the small boost in TP for the random spells i may cast :P

Criss
Jun 20, 2008, 04:21 PM
I've been playing a Beast GT as my main since back when they had lv 10 techs, and I can honestly say that ATA doesn't matter for GTs as soon as you get a decent level and good ATA mod. Sure, the beginning is a bit rough since it takes longer to equip weapons, but in the end you'll rarely do any zeros, maybe unless you use low-leveled bullets. Add in lv 21+ zodial and the amount of ATA you get at high level is overkill, even as a beast. So you get the best damage out of guns, more TP than casts to get good use out of atk techs on bullet-resistant enemies, and nanoblast to fill in what GTs are lacking: melee damage.

Ahkaskar
Jun 20, 2008, 08:08 PM
Increased damage can replace the DPS lost due to inaccuracy. Not to mention, if you do any TP-based damage, you're only as inaccurate as you allow. Without getting into the real math and statistics of it, the only way it'd matter whether you pick cast and beast, is in how you'd choose to play.