PDA

View Full Version : PSU Returning to the game?

Poubelle
Jun 20, 2008, 07:29 AM
Hi everyone. I don't know if this is the correct place to post this, but... well, I'm gonna start playing PSU again.

I'm a huge PSO fan... but I stopped playing that because of all the hacking. I got PSU the day it came out for my PS2 (around October?) and stopped around Christmas because people were hacking meseta, and... I guess I just wanted to play legit. People kept buying my stuff with hacked meseta...

Anyway, now I happen to own a 360, so I picked up the 360 version of the game. I played on the Network Mode briefly, but... I was kind of unfamiliar with everything. So I used that as an opportunity to beat Story Mode while getting familiar with the controls again. Well, now I'm done with that, and I'm definitely ready to start playing through Xbox Live. I have some questions, though... and also just looking for general suggestions.

First, is there a page/guide somewhere on PSO World describing each class? Fortetecher, Fortefighter, etc... (can't remember the names of all the hybrid ones)

I want to use TECHNICs mainly, but from what I've read, Fortetecher seems a bit lame? I don't know what to choose. And I'm also not familiar with the pre-reqs for each class. So if someone could help me out there, that'd be good.

I did play online briefly, though -- as I mentioned. As a Newman Force. Is it just me, or are a lot more of the TECHNICs released in shops? Those were all cool, but is there any way to unlock the other ones, from the offline modes? When I stopped playing, there were rumors that you unlocked other skills/TECHNICs from these items from S-rank missions... err, well -- I only remember vaguely, but I thought I'd throw that out there. Is there any way to unlock, for example, the TECHNIC that shields your team members from physical attacks?

Next question is...does everyone on the Xbox Live version use a microphone? I didn't get one for my Xbox, and, uh... I'm wondering if I could get by just typing with a USB keyboard?

OK, last question (for now) is... when I stopped playing this game online, they were just releasing story missions that sort of... continued the Story Mode? I didn't really get through those because I wasn't familiar with the story.

Well, now that I've beat the Story Mode, I'm interested. I remember the first mission involving Ethan attempting to kill the president? Or killing him? I don't remember, lol. But is there any way to start from the very first story mission? I only saw newer story missions. (sorry if they're not called "story missions", don't know what else to call them)

Anyway, hopefully some of you will help me out :) sorry if I went on too long, and sorry if this is in the wrong spot.

P.S. Oh, crap... just remembered one last question; there's never been any kind of hacking/foul play on the Xbox version, right? (I only bought the Xbox version under that assumption)

deadpool612
Jun 20, 2008, 08:01 AM
just try all the classes in tha game and see what you like. alot of people use mics but must people have keyboreds to. you can only talk in your party so anyone out of it you have to type to.

R2D6battlebot
Jun 20, 2008, 08:03 AM
Hi everyone. I don't know if this is the correct place to post this, but... well, I'm gonna start playing PSU again.

I'm a huge PSO fan... but I stopped playing that because of all the hacking. I got PSU the day it came out for my PS2 (around October?) and stopped around Christmas because people were hacking meseta, and... I guess I just wanted to play legit. People kept buying my stuff with hacked meseta...

Anyway, now I happen to own a 360, so I picked up the 360 version of the game. I played on the Network Mode briefly, but... I was kind of unfamiliar with everything. So I used that as an opportunity to beat Story Mode while getting familiar with the controls again. Well, now I'm done with that, and I'm definitely ready to start playing through Xbox Live. I have some questions, though... and also just looking for general suggestions.

First, is there a page/guide somewhere on PSO World describing each class? Fortetecher, Fortefighter, etc... (can't remember the names of all the hybrid ones)

I want to use TECHNICs mainly, but from what I've read, Fortetecher seems a bit lame? I don't know what to choose. And I'm also not familiar with the pre-reqs for each class. So if someone could help me out there, that'd be good.

I did play online briefly, though -- as I mentioned. As a Newman Force. Is it just me, or are a lot more of the TECHNICs released in shops? Those were all cool, but is there any way to unlock the other ones, from the offline modes? When I stopped playing, there were rumors that you unlocked other skills/TECHNICs from these items from S-rank missions... err, well -- I only remember vaguely, but I thought I'd throw that out there. Is there any way to unlock, for example, the TECHNIC that shields your team members from physical attacks?

Next question is...does everyone on the Xbox Live version use a microphone? I didn't get one for my Xbox, and, uh... I'm wondering if I could get by just typing with a USB keyboard?

OK, last question (for now) is... when I stopped playing this game online, they were just releasing story missions that sort of... continued the Story Mode? I didn't really get through those because I wasn't familiar with the story.

Well, now that I've beat the Story Mode, I'm interested. I remember the first mission involving Ethan attempting to kill the president? Or killing him? I don't remember, lol. But is there any way to start from the very first story mission? I only saw newer story missions. (sorry if they're not called "story missions", don't know what else to call them)

Anyway, hopefully some of you will help me out :) sorry if I went on too long, and sorry if this is in the wrong spot.

P.S. Oh, crap... just remembered one last question; there's never been any kind of hacking/foul play on the Xbox version, right? (I only bought the Xbox version under that assumption)

Thats a LOT of questions. Here goes....

First question. Yes, there is an amazing website that usually has any and all information you would ever want or need. Unfortunately, the website is currently down for maintenance (or something like that) and should be back up soon. The website is www.psupedia.info.

Yes, there are a LOT more technics available in shops than there were when you played, and yes, when you complete any mission on S(or S2) difficulty, you receive a special item called a 'PA Fragment', which you can use to trade in for different Photon Arts, including many different technics. Unfortunately, the spell you mentioned is not(and probably never will be) available online.

More than 90% of the people who play online use a microphone, however it is very easy and possible to just get by using a keyboard, in fact I would recommend having a keyboard even if you use a mic. It may be strange at first, but it's easy to get used to hearing people over your TV speakers.

Yes, you can start from the first Online Story Mission, and work your way through the entire thing. In fact, that's the only way to advance them, is to beat them once. When you complete one, the next one opens, and sometimes you get rewards from completing them, such as Partner Cards from your favorite NPC characters from Story Mode.

There has never been any outright hacking on Xbox360, but just like any video game, PSU has had its' share of glitches and exploits that have come and gone. ST usually tries their best to take care of any major glitch as soon as they can, but there have been a few pretty bad ones. See: Mechgun Glitch and Grinder Glitch.

On a good note, money is much easier to obtain now because of the expansion, and it's easier in general for newer players to level up/gain items. Hope you enjoy playing PSU again, and welcome to PSO-World.

Poubelle
Jun 20, 2008, 09:29 AM
Thanks for the response & welcome. :)

Err, I guess I'll get a lot of info from the psupedia when it's up. It seems like a lot of people rely on that website for info... so I'll wait for it ^^;

Um... can I ask, though; why don't you think the technic that I mentioned will ever be added?

R2D6battlebot
Jun 20, 2008, 11:21 AM
Lots of reasons, but mainly because it would be broken, and this game is already incredibly easy to run missions on. Unless they did something like make it drain ALL the PP of the weapon casting it, then it would be too powerful, you could literally just walk around as a Techer and make the party invincible, and just recast it whenever you want. That would be dumb and boring.

Miyuki
Jun 20, 2008, 12:43 PM
Welcome to 360 - if you need someone to run with, feel free to pm

Seority
Jun 20, 2008, 01:23 PM
I heard Japan has that tech, so we should get it also. It probably won't be as stong at first bat like the story mode one, but it does take a looong time to level on the story mode, so it might be even longer on the online. It's not really a broken tech. It costs a lot so, unless the techer of the party wastes all his/her mates on their wands, the probably won't cast it as much.

As far as the classes go I suppose making a small list shouldn't hurt.
Hunter/Ranger/Force: Basic classes needed for the others.
Forte: (Specific specialization classses)
Fighter- Specializes in melee weaps but really lacks in range. (They can only use a pistol.) They get level up to 40 melee PA's and 30 bullet PA's (I believe) and no techs.
Gunner- Specializes in ranged weaps. They get level 40 bullet PA's and 30 melee PA's. No techs.
Techer- Specializes in attack techs. Level 40 attack techs. Level 30 support techs.
Acro: (Ment for speeed. Attack faster then all other classes (for now))
Fighter- Specializes in light-weight melee weaps and small ranged weaps. Melee PA's 40 and bullet level 30.
Techer- Specializes in support techs along with a few unique melee weapons. Level 40 (will be 50 later) support techs. Level 30 attack techs. Level 30 melee PA's.
Hybred:
Protranser- Specialization in traps. They get EX traps that, when set off, continually hit the monsters for a certain amount of time. Level 30 melee PA's, level 30 bullet PA's, no techs.
Guntecher- Specialization is to be back up healer and ranged. Attack techs 20, support techs 30, bullet PA's level 30.
Wartecher- Specialization in high attack techs and melee weaps. Attack techs 30, support techs 20, melee PA's 30.
(I believe this is how it all is.)
I've played all classes so I'd say they are all worth while.
Fortetechers are epic when it comes to attack techs. A group of them can rape many a monster, and they help out parties when they come across monster who are melee/range resistant. If you want to go full techs, I say play ForteTechers.

As far as getting those "locked" techs, just finish missions with a S rank and you'll get frags. Collect those frags and go to the certian Guardians branch, (Neudaiz for techs, Parium for ranged PA's, and Moatoob for melee PA's, there are none in Gurhal, but that is where you play the story missions,) and go the the front desk. There will be a mission called " -such and such- License". Take that mission, and from there you will be able to swap frags for PA's.

Also some monsters have been nerfed online compaired to offline like king vahras don't heal and such. Also, even though there was a recent boost, PA's don't level as fast as they do on the offline version, just so you can be weary of that. Also, as you should know, most weapons/items/armors arn't going to be sold at the normal store like they are in offline. When you get S on a story mission, you do get prizes, but you don't get PA's like you do on the offline mode.

I'd like to help you further, but sadly I'm on PC/PS2, so good luck to you, and welcome back to PSU:AOI! ^^