PDA

View Full Version : gamestop not selling PSU AoI for ps2 no more?

strikershadow
Jun 20, 2008, 01:14 PM
To keep a long story short, theres this new guy at work. I made friends with him. He has never played a MMO before in his life. hes never really played a RPG before either. But he was a fan of star wars so I was telling him about PSU. he sounded interested so I let him borrow one of my 3 copies and he came into work the next day completely hooked. he absolutely loved the game...

He told me he went to a game stop and the guy at the store said they cannot sell any PSU copy for the PS2, they can sell the xbox version and the cpu version...

I found this odd so I went in and tried to buy a copy too, and they told me the same thing... I asked if its because they just dont have any more, and they said no they cannot even accept them as a trade in...

Im wondering why this is and if anyone else had a problem. i tried 3 game stops in my area and they all said the same thing...

Kylie
Jun 20, 2008, 01:21 PM
I noticed the same thing awhile ago; it makes me nervous about breaking my disc eventually and needing a new one. Here are some listings on CampusI.com (http://campusi.com/prod.pl?cat=game&op=buy&lang=en-us&search_country=us&shipto=us&currency=usd&zip=&nw=y&class=&use_ajax=1&pqcs=OCcbvM9oVYAahHJS0aT2fw&upc=010086631159) of PS2 AOI. It seems like most of the prices are higher than the game was at release. :|

Sexy_Raine
Jun 20, 2008, 01:26 PM
I still see a lot of used copies, and sometimes new copies. The PS2 is being outphased because of the current-gen systems and you'll notice the new games PS2 selection is getting smaller. It happens with a lot of last-gen games actually. Just look at Xbox/Gamecube selection, you'll barely see anything "New"..

strikershadow
Jun 20, 2008, 01:27 PM
Well I have 3 copies of AoI, so I do not need another... it just sucks for him tho cause he really wanted to play and sega could have made another 10 bucks...

well sega will still make there money off of him since I gave him one of my copies... I was wondering why... I thought maybe next expansion would be out soon...

thnk god for amazon.com... im on a mission to get all my real life friends here :D

why play outside when theres this fantastic thing called the internet :D

Seority
Jun 20, 2008, 01:29 PM
PS2 is dieing and practically a dead product. I don't think Sega wants to put more money into something that's least profitable.

ashley50
Jun 20, 2008, 01:38 PM
Buy it Online?

Sekani
Jun 20, 2008, 01:39 PM
The game could be out of print. That's not really a good thing.

pikachief
PS2 is dieing and practically a dead product. I don't think Sega wants to put more money into something that's least profitable.

at the time of PSU's first release it was still one of the most successful consoles. it just recently started dieing and isnt dieing as fast in japan :P

CelestialBlade
I'd imagine the PS2 version sells the least, since the PC option is much more attractive for most people.

strikershadow
Jun 20, 2008, 01:41 PM
not everyone has a 128 video card... or the other requirements to play it >.>

im stuck on the ps2 and so are a few of my real life friends...

Oh well that kind of makes sense to me i guess. I didnt think of that. thanks all :D

Mark87
Jun 20, 2008, 01:44 PM
It's kinda sad seein old game systems dying since you have played them so much.
The only thing i have a prob with is the new game systems are so expensive. If there is a PS4 it's gonna be $1000 xD

and the AoI thing there is always ebay =)

Tone
Jun 20, 2008, 01:58 PM
Thats... really weird.

Try gamecrazy, even if they don't have it at the store, you could special order a copy to the store :\

Mman2000
Jun 20, 2008, 02:05 PM
The sooner the PS2 gets phased out, the sooner they can stop limiting the game trying to accommodate that damn thing. I seriously hope this trend picks up momentum.

R2D6battlebot
Jun 20, 2008, 02:08 PM
The sooner the PS2 gets phased out, the sooner they can stop limiting the game trying to accommodate that damn thing. I seriously hope this trend picks up momentum.

Quoted for Truth. Preach, Brotha, Preach!!

pikachief
Jun 20, 2008, 02:08 PM
It's kinda sad seein old game systems dying since you have played them so much.
The only thing i have a prob with is the new game systems are so expensive. If there is a PS4 it's gonna be $1000 xD

and the AoI thing there is always ebay =)

Neo-Geo was $600 and each game cost $200 each and people still bought that! and that was back when people had less money too

Mark87
Jun 20, 2008, 02:10 PM
what!!!! lol never heard of Neo-Geo some kinda virtual reality thing?

Chris28
Jun 20, 2008, 02:23 PM
amazon is a good place to get games. they have 36 used and new copies for the PS2.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000RF716E/ref=dp_olp_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1213989694&sr=8-2

Akaimizu
Jun 20, 2008, 02:26 PM
To tell the truth, I also believe it's about time the PS3 pretty much gets all PS development. They've been holding out on putting things just on the PS2 far too long. Heck, there's enough games on the thing to keep it useful even if nothing else came out for it.

Still, I mainly see the PC version for sale, at those places.

Seority
Jun 20, 2008, 02:35 PM
at the time of PSU's first release it was still one of the most successful consoles. it just recently started dieing and isnt dieing as fast in japan :P

Exactly. PS2 IS dead here. So why bother right?
None of us really want the PS2 verstion to stay anyway.

joefro
Jun 20, 2008, 07:39 PM
Found it! Brand New at Toys "R" Us.
GameStop=Fail

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3076312
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2791270

I found two links on the site so I posted both. ^^

Apone
Jun 20, 2008, 07:49 PM
Are you sure its not because gamestop thinks that since PSU is an online RPG that each copy has its own CD key? Like PSO for dreamcast? They're probaly just ignorant that it doesnt need a CD key

Powder Keg
Jun 20, 2008, 07:50 PM
A lot will think I'm nuts, but the fact is. Toys R Us availability > Gamestop availability...especially in the higher-volume stores. The fact that most people don't think of Toys R Us before a Gamestop factors into that, but don't rule them out.

Apone
Jun 20, 2008, 07:52 PM
You can always find real life "rares" in places like toys R us. All the collectors scour gamestop and places like it first

RemiusTA
Jun 20, 2008, 11:15 PM
Because the US version of this game is an absolute flop on PS2/PC.

I wouldn't see the need to continue shipping them either...

Ruru
Jun 21, 2008, 04:04 AM
its only a flop because sega of america doesn't know what advertising is.

also another reason PS3 isn't doing well aside from the price is they've taken its backwards compatibility to PS2 away so they could make it cheaper which is just as dumb since most PS2 users were waiting for the price drop so they could not only play new games BUT also play their PS2 games on their new system. PS3 is full of fail on more than one level, and everything they're doing is only making it worse.

Magitek_X
Jun 21, 2008, 07:21 AM
If I'm not mistaken, the JP servers are filled with PS2 players. We might still see an expansion for the PS2 in the future due to this.

Cracka_J
Jun 21, 2008, 07:38 AM
I've actually switched over to gamecrazy (hollywood video's game store) in recent years. As good of selection as TRU/GS, but usually much, much better customer service. I've yet to have an issue reserving anything there, whereas gamestop it seemed I'd have an issue every time I went to pick something up.

Truth be told, EB was the shit before the GS empire bought them out. They always had their stuff on time, and in good quantities.

But enough rambling, I'll check next time I go to gamecrazy and see if they still carry the game.