PDA

View Full Version : Can people blame their environment for their bad habits?

Tessu
Jun 20, 2008, 03:35 PM
For example: My little sister, 11, swears A LOT. Probably forty times more than I do. Whenever my mom scolds her for it, she says it's dad's fault because he swears a lot too.

So is it my dad's fault? Or is it just my sister?

What do you think?
(That was just an example, there are several other circumstances that might come up)

Sord
Jun 20, 2008, 03:37 PM
That's when you enact a counter-environment, that is, a bitch slap to the face, soap in the mouth, or if they suck at handling it, swish around a tablespoon of hot sauce. Or combine the sauce and soap.

AlexCraig
Jun 20, 2008, 03:46 PM
The threat of abandonment might work a bit.
"Bitch, don't tell me what to do!"
"Wanna live out on the street and feed off of garbage scraps until you are 30 and die of pneumonia?"

Toadthroat
Jun 20, 2008, 03:46 PM
For the most part, I'd have to say it is her environment. Your dad is a bad influence, he shouldn't be using such language around her.
Your sister oughta know better not to swear, but who should teach her better? Thats right, her parents.
Shes presented with two conflicting set of rules. On one hand, your mom is telling her that its NOT okay to swear. But on the other, your dad swearing around her is making her comfortable with the language and telling her that its okay to use it.

Out_Kast
Jun 20, 2008, 03:47 PM
Such a pleasant guy, AlexCraig.

Tessu
Jun 20, 2008, 03:48 PM
Stick with the thread, guys.
Though if you want, later, I could make a "How should we punish my little sister?" thread...

AlexCraig
Jun 20, 2008, 03:54 PM
Sorry ^^;

Environment can be the blame for some of it. Even most of it in some cases. What are her friends like? What are people like at her school? How was she raised?

Tessu
Jun 20, 2008, 03:55 PM
Her friends are good people. Kinda bratty but not a bad influence really. People at her school worship the ground she walks on. She was raised with a silver spoon in her mouth.
Which could explain a few things.

TalHex
Jun 20, 2008, 04:22 PM
11? she should know by now not to swear when people with more power then her are around, you swear at them behind their back or under your breath :wacko:

Retniwreven
Jun 20, 2008, 04:24 PM
Sure people can blame environment.
But it doesn't mean they're right.

Kids are defiant on sheer principle, though. Telling her it's bad won't help whatsoever.

VanHalen
Jun 20, 2008, 04:36 PM
I'd have to say environment. My mother curses a lot jokingly and seriously. One time when I was 13 when I was describing something I was angry at I said "It was a load of bul...." and my mother said "Why did you stop? Your 13 years old, I know you use that language with your friends. So you can say it as long as your not cursing at me."

The truth is, I never used to swear until that point O_O.

TalHex
Jun 20, 2008, 04:38 PM
my parents don't really care as long as i don't say anything too bad (like fuck every other sentence)

Nitro Vordex
Jun 20, 2008, 04:47 PM
I know where Tessu could shove that silver spoon.

That's right, in her ear.

Leviathan
Jun 20, 2008, 04:49 PM
I don't normally curse unless I'm mad.

Shocker.

TheOneHero
Jun 20, 2008, 04:52 PM
While you're father is a bad influence on her, it's ultimately your sisters fault.

There is always a choice in our actions, always.

You are what you make yourself to be; if someone abuses you, sets you up in a bad environment, whatever, you decide how you come out.

It's true our surroundings influence us, but like I said, it's our choice how they influence us and how we handle it.

Also, when you place blame on your environment for what you are, all you're saying is you can't accept the fact of who and what you are; you can't accept the consequences and rise up to the challenge.

astuarlen
Jun 20, 2008, 05:13 PM
Being a woman, I have an inborn skill in dealing with these sorts of situations. Here's what your father should say next time she starts mouthing off:

Shut the hell up, you pint-sized harlot, or I'll feed your ass to the dog.

I agree with Toadthroat.

Tessu
Jun 20, 2008, 05:17 PM
Oh, she's not pint-sized. She's only in fifth-going-on-sixth grade, but about 5'7 and 200+ pounds.

Shadowpawn
Jun 20, 2008, 05:18 PM
I'd have to say environment. My mother curses a lot jokingly and seriously. One time when I was 13 when I was describing something I was angry at I said "It was a load of bul...." and my mother said "Why did you stop? Your 13 years old, I know you use that language with your friends. So you can say it as long as your not cursing at me."

The truth is, I never used to swear until that point O_O.

Wow, your mom sounds cool as shi-. It was the opposite for me, I was told it was never okay to curse around my folks or anywhere. In fact, I didn't curse until I was 16. That's when it figured it was just silly to try stop myself from saying something that I naturally want to say.

Anyway, yeah. Dad's setting a bad example.

astuarlen
Jun 20, 2008, 05:19 PM
Ah, then we'll have to use harlot-in-training or larval whore. Get creative! Have fun with it!

Shadowpawn
Jun 20, 2008, 05:23 PM
lol, larval whore.

astuarlen
Jun 20, 2008, 05:27 PM
Do you think the staff would be willing to change my name to that?

Tessu
Jun 20, 2008, 05:29 PM
How odd, I have yet to give an opinion in my very own thread...

Well, what I think is:

You can only blame your habits on your environment if you have only been encouraged to do something. For example, when my grandfather was growing up, smoking was VERY encouraged. By everyone. No one said anything about health risks. So I don't really blame him for starting.

But my sister, on the other hand, has been taught not to swear by me, my mother, OTHER PEOPLES' parents, and our school.

Basically, I think if you're told not to do something by someone who is competent and has good judgment, you shouldn't do it. Even if everyone else around you is.