PDA

View Full Version : Why Can't I Ever Get A Job..

Leviathan
Jun 20, 2008, 06:26 PM
I swear that they just give jobs to morons around where I live. They hire just about anyone at Circuit City.

Ex 1. I went to go get a Pokemon game &I couldn't find it so I go to customer service &I ask the guy if there are any in stock. He replies with "What's Pokemon?"

Ex 2. I went to Circuit City in the morning &hey happen to be doing job training &a guy there who got the job showed up to that with their pants sagging down to their knees &you could even see his boxers.

I do call back the places every week that I apply to &there are so many inconsistencies.

For one;

I applied to Aeropostale at the mall where they had a "Help Wanted" sign on the front. I apply &bring back the job application a day later &was expected to get a call back within a week. <The hiring manager said so.> &Never got it. They didn't even bother to call me I had to call them. I was told that they already hired the people they needed. Two weeks later &they still have the hiring sign up there.

Best Buy told me I have to call them after I filled out an application. Which I did. Then they answered me JUST to put me on hold for 7 minutes. When that was over I was told they would call me back the next day &it's been 10 days since that was promised. They probably deleted my application. Not only that but I am pretty well qualified to work there with my knowledge of cameras, tvs, &I know how to fix wireless routers.

List of Places I Applied To:
Aeropostale.
American Eagle Outfitters.
Best Buy.
Hot Topic.
McDonalds.
Starbucks. <Several of them.>
Toys 'R Us. <Is seriously understaffed.>

(//____-)

Darkly
Jun 20, 2008, 06:41 PM
try and get a job a friend of yours is already working it, really helps for someone you know to say hes a good guy etc.

if you cant use that option for whatever reason, maybe change your approach - whatever you call your cv's in u.s and maybe act more confident or something. Lol you could copy the slackers that they seem to pick up everywhere too.

W0LB0T
Jun 21, 2008, 08:43 AM
I used to have this problem too. i applied for so many jobs i lost count, until finally i bagged a good one. that took about a year and a half or something like that. i would say make sure you have a good résumé and make sure you know what your doing wrong in interviews so you can improve (thats even if you are even making it up to the interview stage).

some times it boggles the mind how these "morons" as you refer to them, even get jobs. maybe its because they are young so they fall into a lower pay bracket (i have no idea how it works in the states, i believe you get paid bugga all no matter how old you are). also maybe according to their résumé have lots of experience (at getting fired) from other jobs. other than that i have no clue. some kind of secret club no doubt. :disapprove:

Solstis
Jun 21, 2008, 10:03 AM
They might just know someone that already works there. Maybe one Circuit City moron got a bunch of morons hired.

Leviathan
Jun 21, 2008, 12:00 PM
I think the resume actually hurts me than actually help me.

This is how I look at it;
They want people to work there for as long as they can.
So what better than a person with no job experience?
A person with job experience will always look for something greater, right?
"We can't hire anyone that is going to leave us soon." =0

Or they don't want people who are too smart.
If say a person that applies for a job in the summer has AP/Honors/IB courses in the school get's a job then we would be understaffed.
"No, nope we don't want a person that will leave us for school, &we also need people that will work during the weekdays when school takes place."

=/

Powder Keg
Jun 21, 2008, 01:07 PM
Work at Toys R Us....it's really good stuff....well, depending upon who your Store Director is. >_>

But, in order to work there, you need a brain, and I don't mean "need a brain" as in need to be smart. I mean, you need to have the ability to think like a total idiot, only then will you see what the company's goal is. :)

BTW, every store is understaffed, unless it's A+ Volume. The store I used to work at was high volume and well-staffed, but it closed. The one I transferred to picked up a lot of the traffic from the closed store, and really didn't compensate, and somehow has no plans to.

BlaizeYES
Jun 21, 2008, 10:55 PM
I think the resume actually hurts me than actually help me.

This is how I look at it;
They want people to work there for as long as they can.
So what better than a person with no job experience?
A person with job experience will always look for something greater, right?
"We can't hire anyone that is going to leave us soon." =0

=/

lol, yes the old CATCH 22.

it seems as if most of the places you've applied are just the "drop-off application" sort of ordeal, the younger-aged jobs where "anyone has a shot".. so you're probably not going to get a call back from any of those places. it definitely helps to have a reference; i had a friend who was a few years older who was a teller and it helped with me to get into a bank when i was just 18 years old and didnt have alot of experience, had it not from him i probably would have been another resume IN THE GARBAGE. and you want to find out who is in charge and have a short conversation with them, really show them that they would want you working for their company. its all generic information, but its true. things such as attractiveness, personality, and charisma really help because BOSSES ARE HUMAN BEINGS TOO AND CAN PLAY FAVORITES... and you can be his BEST FRIEND before you even get a paycheck. GOOD LUCK YUPPIE

Seority
Jun 23, 2008, 12:11 PM
I'm so in your boat.

Places:
<Best Buy> -called: they would call if they are interested-
<Circuit City (right next to BB)> -got email: they have my app and will call if interested-
<Barnes and Noble> -called: call if interested-
<Babies R Us> -has now hiring sign: manger said she'd call. hasent yet.-
<Game Stop> -walked in: interested, but full-
<Target> -mail: (not email) not interested-
<Walden Books> -walked in: hiring in fall only-
<Shop-ko> -called: dont call us-
<Ice Cream Truck Driver> -called: not interested (aka im not a convicted felon)-

Note: I have over a year of work experience and I'm avalible for all hours during the week. Then again our town is going to all hell. A man got laid off after working at a company for 15 years and has to work at high schoolers job. I stepped down for getting hired just so he could.
<

CelestialBlade
Jun 23, 2008, 12:28 PM
Companies don't want smart people, they want obedient, soulless workers who will bend to the will of their supervisors for absolutely any reason. Especially companies that you don't need a degree to work for. This is one reason so many people run into this "overqualified" bullshit, sometimes it's a way of saying "well this person may actually know what they're doing, which means they'll see right through our bullshit..." Competence is becoming less and less valued in general working positions.

It doesn't help that the US economy has absolutely gone to hell, making it difficult for anyone without a degree to find a reliable source of income. Hell, I'm an engineering student with a year's worth of work experience in my field, and nobody will hire me. It's like they're afraid I'll IMPROVE something.

Just don't feel like it's your fault, companies are afraid of smart people and the economy is in shambles. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if that'll ever change.

Kylie
Jun 23, 2008, 12:33 PM
Finding the job isn't the problem for me. It's keeping it, and I'm not saying I'm a bad worker. On the contrary, I'm a fabulous worker. I usually get bored or lazy and quit. :$

Zarode
Jun 23, 2008, 02:10 PM
Finding the job isn't the problem for me. It's keeping it, and I'm not saying I'm a bad worker. On the contrary, I'm a fabulous worker. I usually get bored or lazy and quit. :$

Sounds a lot like me. Luckily, I had a friend help me get a job at where I work now. Lucky me.

Leviathan
Jun 23, 2008, 10:13 PM
I think the best thing to do is look/act like a moron to get the job.
I'll test that theory &tell you if it works.

BlaizeYES
Jun 24, 2008, 10:45 AM
dont blame other people for the reason you dont have the job.

and what's odd is that everyone in here seems to be applying at the exact same places. strange

Maskim
Jun 24, 2008, 08:14 PM
If all you want is a job, you'll find one. They're out there. Go to McDonalds.

If you want a specific job at certain companies, welcome to competition. Everyone wants to sell videogames over the summer when they're a kid. The place gets 100+ applications and has 2 openings. Chances are you're not getting hired there.

It sounds like you're looking for a job, not a career advancement. As such, my advice would be to lower your standards. You're going to get paid poorly no matter where you go with an entry level retail gig (seems to be what you're aiming for) so what's it matter which one hires you. Spam out your applications to everywhere. Who cares if you get the best buy gig, or you're making sammiches at subway, either way you're getting the same minimum wage pay for minimum wage work, and it sounds like it's only for a few months until school starts back up for you anyways.

This post just reminds me of the situation I was in as a teenager, where the only reason I wasn't hired at the places I wanted to work was I had long hair. Took a full summer to realize that no matter where I worked, I wasn't going to be there for any length of consequential time, and all I wanted was money. Didn't matter if I was flipping burgers, installing cabinets, or selling things over the phone, or making pizzas, it wasn't my career, it was just a paycheck.

Delete
Jun 24, 2008, 08:55 PM
Yeah its hard, i applied at gamestop, (3 different ones) sams club, walmart, and some shoe store in a mall. Oh and kb toys. I finally landed a job with kmart, and although its not my dream job, its ok for now. At least until i get out of college which will be like 3 more years.

Ethateral
Jul 1, 2008, 11:15 AM
I have the same problem.

I've applied at:
Gamestop: Had an interview, 2 actually, but because I think it's because I'm a female. (Don't want to make the male community nervous, right?) They said they'd want me for HOLIDAY work.
Borders: Applied online and called a manager too. Waiting on response.
Target: Applied there, been three weeks like they said. HR doesn't want me I guess for even an interview.
Walmart: Applied online, waiting still.
Panera Bread: Just applied yesterday.
Staples: Just had an interview yesterday.
Giant Eagle: Had an interview last Thursday. Gonna call them back today.
Applebees: Got an interview today.
Sears: Applied online, nothing yet.
JCPenny: Applied online just recently.
Twin Sisters Production: I used to work there last year, they offered to let me back possibly with my old job. (Graphic Designer). Didn't have anything open.
Chick-Fil-A: Had two interviews, but didn't get the job.
Gamestop: Not hiring just yet, but soon.

Probably other places too..

Turb0
Jul 4, 2008, 03:20 AM
IMO you guys need to apply to more places. I think the list of places i applied to this summer had around 25 different businesses. I ended up getting a job at a local movie theater which I like so far, so I'm not complaining. And obviously when you go in to ask for/return applications/interview, appear confident, act politely, speak clearly, make eye contact, firm handshake, etc. Good luck everyone, I was in the same boat last year.

Ranmaru
Jul 4, 2008, 10:13 AM
In the last week I have applied to:
Mcdonalds, Steak and shake, Steve and barry's, Rebbokk, Taco Bell, Albertsons, Winn Dixie, Dunkin Donuts, Kohls, and Pet's market. Since I lost my job, I have definetly lowered my standards.

Adriano
Jul 4, 2008, 11:54 AM
Try Hollister!

Ranmaru
Jul 4, 2008, 11:57 AM
Hollister? I'll try the nearest one to me, than, thank you. :D

Adriano
Jul 4, 2008, 11:59 AM
Hollister? I'll try the nearest one to me, than, thank you. :D

:D GL!! They seemto have hired absoultely every person I know whos applied! D;

Ranmaru
Jul 4, 2008, 12:07 PM