PDA

View Full Version : remember when mtv used to play music?

Darkly
Jun 20, 2008, 06:47 PM
HA! stop right there! You see my rant isn't what you think.

I'm sick to death of everyone jumping on the bandwagon of saying 'MEMBA WHEN MUSIC WAS ACTUALLY ON MTV LOL'

guess what dickhead they have like 6 or something other channels dedicated to fucking music. You can say what you want about mtv channel being a worthless summary of whats wrong with the world - but seriously this long running joke needs to be killed -

maybe when mtv started to branch out and showed other things than music its OK - yet mtv 2 is really old as well so even that argument is kind of moot.

just one of those things that pisses me off, a joke people probably heard on tv somewhere and think there original by saying it. - This rant itself come up from a retard at work fyi.

Toadthroat
Jun 20, 2008, 10:09 PM
Remember when MTV used to play GOOD music and it actually seemed like it CARED about the music industry and music as an art form?

Shadowpawn
Jun 20, 2008, 10:11 PM
Who cares about mtv? This is the digital age baby! People download music now.

Kylie
Jun 20, 2008, 10:39 PM
Who cares about mtv? This is the digital age baby! People download music now.
Digital killed the video star`

Weeaboolits
Jun 20, 2008, 11:05 PM
I don't think MTV2 is on basic cable, though, correct me if I'm wrong.

Nitro Vordex
Jun 20, 2008, 11:08 PM
Remember when MTV used to be good?

Yeah, me neither.

CelestialBlade
Jun 20, 2008, 11:26 PM
Remember when The Weather Channel was all forecasts and no specials?

*nerd*

TheOneHero
Jun 20, 2008, 11:28 PM
Remember when this got sent to FKL?

Good work guys.

Almost all of the posts, including this one, contribute nothing to the thread. =/

ABDUR101
Jun 20, 2008, 11:38 PM
Digital killed the video star`

You get bonus points for that one.

I haven't watched MTV in so many years, when the teeny-bopper boybands and the little tramps started taking over the airwaves I said fuck it and stopped tuning in. Though there are rare occassions I'll be channel surfing and be like "ok, what crazy bullshit nonsense is on that I can unceremoniously commit brain-cell suicide with".

For those who don't recall, MTV was more like a station centered on a specific media. Much like Comedy Central plays funny shit 24/7, MTV used to cater to what was actually good at the time, not merely based on popularity. They'd show movies and had shows that fit the viewers interest who would normally tune in. They had alot of stuff that was just 'out there' and you could routinely tune in and be like "Holy shit, this is awesome", and whether it was a movie or a regular show, it all fit.

Not sure who changed the scheme of things, but I feel like MTV is just trashy anymore. But then, trash sells when it comes to 'celeb-reality' non-sense. No thanks Hulk Hogan and Ozzy, I don't need to see you stumble around the house bitching about the 20 dogs you have shitting everywhere; because if you had any fucking sense you'd have at the most two dogs to dedicate your time to, but for some fucked up reason(such as needing excess of things) you have more dogs than people in your house, and appearently with all your money you can't even pay someone to be on "Dog Shit"-Duty, or, you know, have the decency to pick up shit from your own dogs.

MTV = Celeb Cash-ins = Everybody loses a bit of their soul.

Shiro_Ryuu
Jun 20, 2008, 11:46 PM
I agree with Kylie, the best source for music isn't MTV, but it's the internet. MTV now is just a channel for idiots to further lose parts of their soul as Abdur said.

Nitro Vordex
Jun 21, 2008, 12:28 AM
Fun fact: The band members who make up System of a Down hates MTV with a passion.

Darkly
Jun 21, 2008, 02:10 AM
awww you guys, i was talking about the overused joke if anything.

Sekani
Jun 21, 2008, 10:48 AM
awww you guys, i was talking about the overused joke if anything.

It's not a joke.

Neith
Jun 21, 2008, 11:02 AM
Remind me what MTV stands for, yes? :disapprove: Music Television I believe?

Last I checked, Pimp My Ride didn't have anything to do with music. MTV (and most of its sibling channels) have sucked for the last few years- I can't even remember the last time I watched MTV for the music, heh.

Not that it matters, TV sucks for music in general- in the UK, the only rock TV channels that are widely available are Kerrang and Scuzz. Kerrang plays far too much Fall Out Boy/My Chemical Romance, and dominates every Top 10 with a certain overrated Nirvana song, and Scuzz unfortunately is heading the same way. If I want to listen to some decent Metal, I have to either 'strike lucky', or look on the internet (if I don't have the song on my playlist already).

I know too many people use the whole "HUR HUR MTV NEVER PLAYS MUSIC" joke, but they're right in some aspects. The main MTV channel is full of teen-aimed series that don't even relate slightly to music. I mean, when MTV2 used to play Viva La Bam, I could sorta see the point- Margera knows a lot of rock stars through his time in Jackass- I know Ville Valo from HIM was somewhat a regular. Though the show itself wasn't about music, I could at least see a small connection. Shows like Pimp My Ride though? Or all of these girl-aimed "I'm so rich I urinate dollar bills" shows? How do they relate to music?

astuarlen
Jun 21, 2008, 11:24 AM
Remember when The Weather Channel was all forecasts and no specials?

*nerd*

This is the terrible truth. If I'm tuning in, chances are I want information on, you know, what the weather is like and what it will be like in the near future in my general area--not, fucking Storm Stories. Argh. Save that for The Weather Channel 2: Xtreme! :clown:

CelestialBlade
Jun 21, 2008, 11:48 AM
This is the terrible truth. If I'm tuning in, chances are I want information on, you know, what the weather is like and what it will be like in the near future in my general area--not, fucking Storm Stories. Argh. Save that for The Weather Channel 2: Xtreme! :clown:
And it's in *HD* now. Forecasts in HD!

....I need a new TV ._.

VanHalen
Jun 21, 2008, 01:03 PM
Well the joke has some truth to it. Most people associate MTV with the regular channel not MTV2, 3, 4, 5, 128476. Which seems to play just "Pimp my Ride", "Super Sweet 16", "Yo Mama", and that show Nick Cannon is on but it's name escapes me. When it does show music it only comes on during the credits of a show, or for 30 seconds on one of its music dedicated shows like TRL. I remember when they played the whole song T_T.

Now I agree that MTV probably has some other channels that play music but the only other MTV channel I know of is MTV2. Which used to be alot of music and then became a storage for shows they don't play on MTV anymore. Sort of like Nickelodeon's "GAS" , "the N", and "Noggin" channels.

If you can tell me the names of the other four MTV channels(since you said there is 6 and I only seen 2 o_O) I would really like to see them. I'm kind of new to digital cable so I get lost in the channels easily lol.

Shadowpawn
Jun 21, 2008, 01:44 PM
I remember when mtv2 was good. It was called "The Box" back then.

Weeaboolits
Jun 21, 2008, 02:20 PM
This is the terrible truth. If I'm tuning in, chances are I want information on, you know, what the weather is like and what it will be like in the near future in my general area--not, fucking Storm Stories. Argh. Save that for The Weather Channel 2: Xtreme! :clown:Last I checked they still had the local on the 8's, local weather every ten minutes sounds reasonable to me.

Chuck_Norris
Jun 21, 2008, 11:56 PM
Remember when this got sent to FKL?

Good work guys.

Almost all of the posts, including this one, contribute nothing to the thread. =/

Remember when TOH was ko;ol?

Yeah, me neither.

TheOneHero
Jun 22, 2008, 12:19 AM
Remember when TOH was ko;ol?

Remember when topics were treated as more than a conversation?

CelestialBlade
Jun 22, 2008, 12:30 AM
Last I checked they still had the local on the 8's, local weather every ten minutes sounds reasonable to me.
Actually, they don't do Local on the 8's during some of their specials.

Weeaboolits
Jun 22, 2008, 12:57 AM
Actually, they don't do Local on the 8's during some of their specials.Okay, they've crossed a line now.

Blitzkommando
Jun 22, 2008, 01:33 AM
Unfortunately I can't seem to tune into The Weather Channel without getting some diatribe on global warming wherein if any area experiencing below average temperatures (such as my local area at the moment) it is entirely ignored and they go into some longwinded spiel about how it's hot in the desert. TWC was great because it gave weather. Constantly. But now it has this awful speechy bit to it to the point where they ignore what the station was there for in the first place: to tell the fucking weather.

How does this relate to MTV? Same damned thing. It started out slowly then it reached a point where it no longer did what the name of the station implied. So they made MTV2. Which went the same way. I guess it's only so long until TWC goes to "All Weather Specials" and they introduce TWC2 to actually tell the weather.

CelestialBlade
Jun 22, 2008, 02:05 AM
Yeah, the global warming spiels are hilarious. You'd think the supposed top meteorologists in the country would understand that global weather patterns move in natural planetary cycles and human impact on the atmosphere is pretty meaningless in comparison.

Hell, there's nothing drastically different about this year aside from a more active than normal tornado season. But we all should've predicted that sort of thing due to La Nina. THANKS AL GORE FOR POISONING TWC WITH YOUR GLOBAL WARMING BS.

But at least with TWC, you can hop on over to weather.com or download a TWC feed plug-in for Windows or for your browser, so there's ways around it.

Shiro_Ryuu
Jun 22, 2008, 08:58 AM
It's not Global Warming at all, nor is it a cycle. It's all Manbearpig's fault. >.>