PDA

View Full Version : For you guitarists out there(Or rather, help from you)

Nitro Vordex
Jun 21, 2008, 01:07 AM
What's a good song to play in E flat tuning? I'm honestly not sure which songs I have that are in E flat tuning.

the main reason is, I tuned down so I could learn Welcome Home by Coheed and Cambria. It's a hard song, but I'm determined to learn it.

Second, it gets boring doing the same song(or rather, the intro and stumbling through it :wacko: ) and I don't know which songs I have that are in E flat.

Also: No E-peen Gray, Drop Out Boy or Panic with the Crisco.

Sgt_Shligger
Jun 21, 2008, 04:47 AM
Just about anything by Van Halen is in E Flat. Here's the thing about alternate tunings: they suck. Honestly, just tune your guitar back up. I never tune my guitar down because the strings get too loose. I use heavy strings, I use metal picks and I use a heavy picking method. You, sir, need to just man up and tune your guitar back up or learn scales.

Nitro Vordex
Jun 21, 2008, 01:13 PM
I like Drop C tuning though. :(

I'll have to buy new strings soon, as I've had these for almost a year now.

Sgt_Shligger
Jun 22, 2008, 05:04 AM
There is a shit on of bands who use drop C. System of a Down is big on it. Look, if you want to learn the most songs stick with standard E tuning. Honestly, there's a reason it's standard.

February
Jun 22, 2008, 12:49 PM
Most of Guns n Roses first album. Sweet child o mine is a really fun song to play, and has a lot of great guitar parts in it.

Nitro Vordex
Jun 22, 2008, 03:36 PM
There is a shit on of bands who use drop C. System of a Down is big on it. Look, if you want to learn the most songs stick with standard E tuning. Honestly, there's a reason it's standard.

The reason I tune down so much, is because out of my music library, I don't know who uses standard. Some I can figure, others are hard to tell.

Sgt_Shligger
Jun 22, 2008, 07:49 PM
Then listen to more music and learn. There are a few things that give tunings away and that's usually the lowest power chords you hear in a song. Just tune up.

February
Jun 22, 2008, 11:13 PM
Yeah you need to train your ear to be able to tell the difference. If you don't, you'll just be stuck playing off of tabs every time you pick up the guitar. Also, do yourself a huge favor and learn scales, the basics of theory and arpeggios. They'll help you a lot.

Nitro Vordex
Jun 22, 2008, 11:28 PM
Eh, well, I will look into that then. Always learning. :)

Thanks guys.

February
Jun 23, 2008, 02:21 AM
Scales are going to seem evil at first, but stick with learning them. It is probably the most useful thing you will ever learn on the guitar.