PDA

View Full Version : Ghosts?

Azriek
Jun 21, 2008, 03:46 AM
just wondering why there are those ghost like people in the cities in offline mode and online. The ones that look like normal people but turn out to be transparent and disappear when you get near them

Tessu
Jun 21, 2008, 03:48 AM
They're trying to confuse you #_@

No, I have no idea. I think you can turn that off somehow but I'm not sure.

Arika
Jun 21, 2008, 03:49 AM
because your PC won't be good enough to load the GC of that many people, and they want to make it look like the town alway have many people walking around.

Ruru
Jun 21, 2008, 03:54 AM
pretty much what arika said. they're just NPC's walking around that have no form. they dont want to cause slow down so once you get close enough they go transparent so your game doesn't cause your system to hic-up on you. imagine how much slower your PS2 would run if there were a bunch of actual NPC's walking around each city @.@

Azriek
Jun 21, 2008, 03:58 AM
so even when i'm offline i still pass people playing online with but just can't interact with them? oh and while i'm at it why is it that when im online other people appear all one colour and looking wierd untill i press enter on them or stay near them for a while?

Ri0T
Jun 21, 2008, 04:00 AM
(( Shhhh... no, don't tell him~! ))

*ahem* Ghosts? What ghosts? I think you must be seeing things. Do you see dead people? o.O

Edit: The online characters do that for similar reasons. They are low-resolution models that appear until the actual character model loads.

Ruru
Jun 21, 2008, 04:08 AM
yeah they're just skins of characters so once again it doesn't eat up your connection and kick you off. if everyone loaded at once you'd have one heck of a lag spike and if you dont have a decent connection/system you'd get kicked offline each time you walked into a lobby full of people.

no those "ghost" people aren't online players or anything they're just NPC's (non player characters) that are just there to fill up the towns and make them look like lively places.

Mysterious-G
Jun 21, 2008, 04:17 AM
They are the departed soulds of the wicked...

goldbrease
Jun 21, 2008, 04:29 AM
there holograms since all the people have turned into seed beings.

Vent
Jun 21, 2008, 04:36 AM
so even when i'm offline i still pass people playing online with but just can't interact with them? oh and while i'm at it why is it that when im online other people appear all one colour and looking wierd untill i press enter on them or stay near them for a while?

Those ghost people that walk around the city aren't players. You just see computer generated walking pixels, no player controlled players. Just think logically, would online players act like those?

Second each character has its own data on them. The internet doesn't magically give you everything you need in a split second. So what you see is that your computer is downloading all of the character data of the players and reveal them one by one.

Azriek
Jun 21, 2008, 04:48 AM
just thought since games like WoW and ffxi load the characters straight away, and im pretty sure those are bigger (as in file size) than psu

Ri0T
Jun 21, 2008, 05:37 AM
Not positive about FFXI, but in WoW character models are invisible until loaded. Also, i think PSU models actually have more polygons.

Weeaboolits
Jun 21, 2008, 06:19 AM
They're there to make you feel less lonely offline.

Zero-Sensei
Jun 21, 2008, 06:24 AM
They scare me. =/
One day, I fear that I too will suffer the same fate and become one...

Ruru
Jun 21, 2008, 01:57 PM
just thought since games like WoW and ffxi load the characters straight away, and im pretty sure those are bigger (as in file size) than psu

I was on FFXI for over 4 years. FFXI is on a lot slower connection speed, and doesn't bombard you with so much information like PSU. the character models on FFXI are also alot less detailed than on this along with the armor that you wear on there. this game has a lot more detail, even if it is a smaller game all around, than FFXI is. i'm not too sure on WoW i tried to stay away from that thing lol.

Kylie
Jun 21, 2008, 02:03 PM
They're there to make you feel less lonely offline.
Indeed. ;-) To let you see what online would be like! :sleep:

Mysterious-G
Jun 21, 2008, 02:11 PM
I prefer them amongst me more than some idiots from online mode... :wacko:

JazlynnGwen
Jun 21, 2008, 02:30 PM
Just call the Guardian GhostBusters! They're ready to believe you. *hg*

Jazlynn

pikachief
Jun 21, 2008, 02:39 PM
Its just part of the game, its like that to make the cities look populated.