PDA

View Full Version : Shades of Elitism

DAMASCUS
Jun 22, 2008, 02:50 AM
I just found out that I am a 'fun' elitist. I like to have fun and contribute to my team but am not concerned about DPS. The game is easy right now as I see it and so the difference of beating White Beast a few minutes faster seems a bit asinine. Yeah, I was pushing it playing a Cast Force but I contributed plenty in terms of healing and distraction if not uber damage.

Where do you think the balance of player responsibily lies??

Nitro Vordex
Jun 22, 2008, 02:52 AM
Hm. Mostly, I want to have fun.

White Beast for the Nth-illionth(no that's not a word) time is SO =/=fun.

Vent
Jun 22, 2008, 02:53 AM
Just play the game. Find the middle between two extremes; being a complete fool in a party and winding yourself up over a few seconds of trial time.

Alia
Jun 22, 2008, 03:06 AM
I contribute with style. I play FF, make sure all my PAs are nicely leveled, and my weapons are as good as I can get them.

However, my FF is a female human.

A2K
Jun 22, 2008, 03:10 AM
I don't make any such discrimination against other players.

Therefore I'm better than you. :-P

Chuck_Norris
Jun 22, 2008, 03:17 AM
You're an elitest if you're too busy to use Sol and Star Atomizers. (Techers excluded only, since they got Reverser and resta) :wacko:

Kizeragi
Jun 22, 2008, 07:06 AM
Option 2 for me.

Iduno
Jun 22, 2008, 07:12 AM
2nd and 2nd to last, If your style includes being

A) An asshole/ microphone singer/ mike music broadcaster or

B) An idiot gameplay wise (no armour/ tornado dance spammer/ non-support techer who dies and relies on others to moon them and then doesnt even say ty/ someone who will just stand and take attacks until death multiple times) your ass is out of my party lol

S4CT4L1TY
Jun 22, 2008, 07:25 AM
yeah support is suppose to mean support and i understand the need to level techs.but a good majority of the newish techers need a lesson or 10 from our old school techers

shadowsniper6
Jun 22, 2008, 07:27 AM
yeah support is suppose to mean support and i understand the need to level techs.but a good majority of the newish techers need a lesson or 10 from our old school techers

lol i was a techer but i had to heal everyone so i got very little exp and yeah most techers dont even use healing spells

Brainwrecked
Jun 22, 2008, 08:18 AM

On the flip side, some FF need to learn *mates. I know there was the mentality of, "techer in party so I don't watch my HP," back in the early days. Is that still around?

Mr. Bil De Vear wants to show you his ballerina moves on an S2 mission. You have 600HP. Techer is on the other side of the mob. Trimates are 500 Meseta. Scape Dolls are 5000 Meseta. Do the math. :D

RadiantLegend
Jun 22, 2008, 08:25 AM
S-T-Y-L-E, Aim's way

Kismet
Jun 22, 2008, 10:12 AM
I just boot whoever's a douche. End of story.

Oh, and I will admit that sometimes I poke fun at players who don't have AoI. Hee-hee, such losers.

Cracka_J
Jun 22, 2008, 10:22 AM
Just play the game. Find the middle between two extremes; being a complete fool in a party and winding yourself up over a few seconds of trial time.

find the middle?
lol, if you've ever played with me, you already know I AM the 2 extremes.

I just find something entertaining about being the party idiot who usually ends up being one of the most reliable players in the party. That's how I roll.

I really don't care what people do in parties, I just want people to contribute...if I see people continuously slacking with no warnings, that's the only time I'll bust out my boot stick.

Weeaboolits
Jun 22, 2008, 10:28 AM
I play this game for fun, I will do what I want. :)

Matic
Jun 22, 2008, 10:42 AM
"I do what I want! You have problem!?"

Ruru
Jun 22, 2008, 11:12 AM
option 2 for me. i play for fun but at the same time i at least know what i'm doing.

Vent
Jun 22, 2008, 11:17 AM
find the middle?
lol, if you've ever played with me, you already know I AM the 2 extremes.

Ehh? I doubt if you can act like a fool you be reliable at the same tmie, unless you mean being a fool on the social part and not the gaming part. To clarify, by 'fool' I mean getting in the party's way instead of helping.

CelestialBlade
Jun 22, 2008, 11:26 AM
If you're not me, obviously you have some serious problems. Because I'm made of fuck and win, with a touch of god.

Ken_Silver
Jun 22, 2008, 11:32 AM
lol i was a techer but i had to heal everyone so i got very little exp and yeah most techers dont even use healing spells

Tell me about it. My alt has this problem as an AT. Acrotecher is a ***** to level up if you focus on just healing your party. I have debuffs to work alongside my healing spells, but they take up too much PP. I can't wait until we get that Photon Charge update.

Besides, all of my techs are levels 1-15, so my party members don't miss them too much.

chaostroop3
Jun 22, 2008, 11:40 AM
i dono what i am =/ i hate to boot so last 3 options are out but i always whant to do more damage then my other party members so i spent alot of time getting new ulti PAs on my alt (liike grav break ,jarbgaja, ect)hemmmm I SELF PROCLAIM MY SELF ONE OF THE BEST!!!!

Shishi-O
Jun 22, 2008, 11:51 AM
I'm an elitist in the fact that I now call sega, segac.

Been on since week one and now wonder how I have been playing for so long.

Increasingly irritated by segac's lax of care for this audience.

The mags screw up has me at a boiling point.

How many years behind japan are we again?

deadpool612
Jun 22, 2008, 11:56 AM
id fall under im one of the best and your better be to. dont like playing with people that cant hold there own. hate slow partys.... and if you have bad PA's kick rocks. but im not mean i just wont play with them. not gonna go around and make fun of them like my little buddy envy did.

Kion
Jun 22, 2008, 01:30 PM
Two things really irritate me as far as players are concerned:
1) Knock backs, i don't like having to chase after stuff and especially when i'm using my force it's not appreciated. Forces spamming regrants is also annoying, as they don't do much damage, spread mobs every where, and run out of scapes forcing you to find their body every couple of minutes.
2) Appearance, there's some customizations that are hard to look at. I don't mind it in RL if someone's too lazy or doesn't have the money to spend on clothes, but in a game there's really no excuse. There's decent looking sets if you pick one and run with it, but players will find the most nauseating mis-matched outfits possible and think it's cool. The worst i've ever seen is a super huge female cast with and red afro with a yellow body customization. It looked like the demon spawn of ronald mcdonald and gave me nightmares for weeks. I don't have any really messed up people on my card list, so it's only in random parties which i generally quietly leave. Mostly aura's annoy me. The puyo is not cool, i don't see what's so great about gum drops splurting out your necks and the others ones are pretty rare to see one used along with a color scheme. They cause too much lag to make it worth while anyways.

Kylie
Jun 22, 2008, 01:55 PM
Wow. This thread impresses and surprises me. You get that elitism is not just about playing in locked rooms or different universes (I'm tired of people being ignorant about this); it's about being a pr1ck and thinking your way is the best way. Personally, I don't care if someone makes a poor choice because race doesn't even really matter anymore, and I don't care what people do as long as they don't make really stupid mistakes such as... Messing up on a party mission excessive times or something like that. It's their money.

Zorafim
Jun 22, 2008, 02:06 PM
I have to be, the very best. Like no-one ever was. To smash them is my test, to level up is my cause.

Basically, I enjoy doing well, but not if I don't enjoy the style of it. I'd rather use a weapon I prefer the looks of than one that has a greater amount of atp, assuming the difference isn't big between them (huge cutter vs crea sword, for instance).

darkante
Jun 22, 2008, 02:11 PM
I prefer to go with style using decent leveled bullets.

For example Shigga Barec>>>Shigga Baret because cannonballs are lame.
Degahna Cannon >>>>>>>>>>>>Needle Cannon cause itīs laser are the lamest ever.

You see PP matters much more for me, prevents me from going to town and waste the time i could kick ass with my guns and they are usually stylish as well.

Shadwitz
Jun 22, 2008, 02:13 PM
I have to be, the very best. Like no-one ever was. To smash them is my test, to level up is my cause.

Basically, I enjoy doing well, but not if I don't enjoy the style of it. I'd rather use a weapon I prefer the looks of than one that has a greater amount of atp, assuming the difference isn't big between them (huge cutter vs crea sword, for instance).

Insert rant about "DON'T TALK SHIT ABOUT [s]TOTAL HUEG CUTTER" here.[/spoiler-box]

Exactly, considering how the fact that most weapon choices and race combos don't make much of a difference, I play for looks. People can rant about DPS all they like, but it isn't an epic battle to get through a mission no matter how you play it. And hey, big numbarz can be pretty, too.

Kismet
Jun 22, 2008, 02:37 PM
Two things really irritate me as far as players are concerned:
1) Knock backs, i don't like having to chase after stuff and especially when i'm using my force it's not appreciated. Forces spamming regrants is also annoying, as they don't do much damage, spread mobs every where, and run out of scapes forcing you to find their body every couple of minutes.
2) Appearance, there's some customizations that are hard to look at. I don't mind it in RL if someone's too lazy or doesn't have the money to spend on clothes, but in a game there's really no excuse. There's decent looking sets if you pick one and run with it, but players will find the most nauseating mis-matched outfits possible and think it's cool. The worst i've ever seen is a super huge female cast with and red afro with a yellow body customization. It looked like the demon spawn of ronald mcdonald and gave me nightmares for weeks. I don't have any really messed up people on my card list, so it's only in random parties which i generally quietly leave. Mostly aura's annoy me. The puyo is not cool, i don't see what's so great about gum drops splurting out your necks and the others ones are pretty rare to see one used along with a color scheme. They cause too much lag to make it worth while anyways.

Your comment was my favorite one so far. <3

I mean, I mix different pieces of clothing from different sets sometimes, but I do something called... Hmm, I don't know... maybe COLOR COORDINATION? I hate it just as much as you when people think a dark brown-skinned fat beast in a purple bikini top with white/pink/yellow Storia pants (which, not to mention, happen to MAGNIFY their behind) and sandals, with a highlighter yellow afro is hot stuff.

And yes -- STOP the knockbacks with Regrant. XD Regrant is NOT cool, and it's too expensive to be worthy of anything. You wanna lag up someone's screen? Level up a more useful tech like Dambarta. You wanna spend 90 frags? Go get 9 more and buy a more useful tech like Megid.

VetroDrago
Jun 22, 2008, 02:37 PM

Those are words to live by lol. I hate elitism btw.

Iduno
Jun 22, 2008, 03:38 PM
Your comment was my favorite one so far. <3

I mean, I mix different pieces of clothing from different sets sometimes, but I do something called... Hmm, I don't know... maybe COLOR COORDINATION? I hate it just as much as you when people think a dark brown-skinned fat beast in a purple bikini top with white/pink/yellow Storia pants (which, not to mention, happen to MAGNIFY their behind) and sandals, with a highlighter yellow afro is hot stuff.

And yes -- STOP the knockbacks with Regrant. XD Regrant is NOT cool, and it's too expensive to be worthy of anything. You wanna lag up someone's screen? Level up a more useful tech like Dambarta. You wanna spend 90 frags? Go get 9 more and buy a more useful tech like Megid.

Actualy regrants is very good when used right

Sendilion and Orcadilions get owned by it

You can juggle in corners (good for gaozorans)

And its just awesome in enclosed spaces

Darklighter
Jun 22, 2008, 04:17 PM
I just play for fun and never boot anyone no matter how much they suck or how annoying they are.

Kismet
Jun 22, 2008, 04:50 PM
Actualy regrants is very good when used right

Sendilion and Orcadilions get owned by it

You can juggle in corners (good for gaozorans)

And its just awesome in enclosed spaces

Yeah, all of that is true. But when you use in a party that's trying to get some PA leveling done, or speed runs, it's very annoying and nobody can hit anything. Especially if you're using PAs that move slowly (like Ikk Hikk, Gravity Break, Absolute Dance, any Axe PA, etc).

JAFO22000
Jun 22, 2008, 05:25 PM
Where's the option for:

I hate doing all of the work, then seeing the "worst-douchiest-most annoying-not using the right PA/Bullet/tech-spreading everything around-not healing themselves-dying 80 times-not contributing ANYTHING to the party" person's name scroll on the screen when a true rare item that you've been hunting solo for a month is picked up???

Ruru
Jun 22, 2008, 05:43 PM
that's why i solo alot >.>;

Mman2000
Jun 22, 2008, 06:07 PM
DPS isn't that important to me, but I will happily boot someone who doesn't get the concept of teamwork. If you're a force who can't be bothered to heal or buff people when a room is clear and it's safe to do so, you're gone. I know people will say "use mates", but if the room's clear and people need healing, just do it and let them save their mates for an actual fucking fight. Oh and by the way, me using mates doesn't require keeping you around and letting you take some of the drops now does it?

When I'm the force, I stick to that rule and boot people who can't be bothered to wait until a room is clear before telling me to buff. I'm not going to run around to each person in the party and burn out my PP casting buffs on them one at a time, that's bullshit. I do try to heal when I can but if you're on the other end of a room, use a fucking trimate. If you bitch about me not babysitting you with my force, your ass is gone.

Noblewine
Jun 22, 2008, 06:25 PM
2nd option. I'll just say that.

pikachief
Jun 22, 2008, 06:59 PM
I play for the best equipment but if someone needs money i'll lend it to them sure, if someone needs an item and i have it and i was gonna sell, i'll give it to them instead. if someone wants me to lower prices, sure i can always get more money another time.

I try to be as helpful as i can to my fellow players but I also try to have the best equipment to help keep the party moving as quickly as possible :)

darkfalz16
Jun 22, 2008, 07:34 PM
i mainly play for fun but im pretty selfish when it comes to meseta but other than that i wouldnt say i am an elitest at all

unicorn
Jun 22, 2008, 07:54 PM
I play for fun. Its my effin 10 bucks. But now, if other people interfere with it, then they get a boot.

I don't care about DPS (FOcast speaking, HELLO!?), but I sure as hell try the best I can. I expect my party to as well. For the most part, I don't care wtf everyone else is doing, 'cuz they're doing more damage than me anyway. =3

Zarode
Jun 22, 2008, 08:26 PM
I was struck with this:

I'm one of the best and you better be too.

or I pay 10 bux, so I do as I please.

And quite frankly, I do as I please, and there isn't a damn well thing you can do about it.

Ashkahn
Jun 22, 2008, 10:17 PM
Definitely #1 for me. I just do whatever I want.

I think I might start maining Guntecher on Ash, just to piss people off.

Magician
Jun 23, 2008, 08:50 AM
Option number two, "contribute with style". Chances are I'll be the least liked fighmaster when it becomes available stateside as my main character only uses double sabers and spams spiral dance. I'll probably be viewed as a lesser-n00bish-fighmaster for not spamming majarra and jabroken. But I don't care, the oars are teh sechsay.

Inazuma
Jun 23, 2008, 03:21 PM
i went w/ "im one of the best and you better be too" but i wanna explain my thinking a little.

psu has a handicap system that most ppl dont realize. the more of a difference in killing speed amongst players, the more noticable it is.

lets say there is a strong FM player who can solo mission X in 15 mins. and there is a weak FT player who can solo mission X in 30 mins. what happens if these 2 players form a party?

their clear time together is about 12 mins. from the FT players view, this is awesome. he gains meseta faster than when he solos. but from the FM player's view, he is gaining meseta slower than solo. now, if the FM leaves the party to go solo, the FT might be upset and label the FM "elitist" right? well, is it really his fault? or is it sega's fault for designing the game that way?

the meseta boost for each member, GBR, and increased chance of rare mission are great b/c they help encourage party play but they still might not be good enough. and even amongst good players, a party of 5+ is likely a bad idea.

so instead of complaining about the good players, why not complain to sega for making an online game that discourages good players from playing w/ others?

Colonel Mustard
Jun 23, 2008, 04:36 PM
I play for the best equipment but if someone needs money i'll lend it to them sure, if someone needs an item and i have it and i was gonna sell, i'll give it to them instead. if someone wants me to lower prices, sure i can always get more money another time.

I try to be as helpful as i can to my fellow players but I also try to have the best equipment to help keep the party moving as quickly as possible :)Ah, yes, but gifts from you are fruit from a poisoned tree.

Sekani
Jun 23, 2008, 04:56 PM
I picked the first option, even though "doing what I want" often means telling random people how much they fail.

AnamanaAU
Jun 23, 2008, 05:59 PM
DEATH = KICK

AlphaDragoon
Jun 23, 2008, 06:34 PM
Elitists suck.

Yes, all of you.

Sexy_Raine
Jun 23, 2008, 07:13 PM
I guess I would fall under, I don't like your style. This refers the many people with scrubby techer alts (usuallly from melee Mains). Play the damn class right, level your stuff properly and not use the same 2 techs., and use your support !!! The only good techers are those who are techer mains.

I'm done ranting.