PDA

View Full Version : Seemingly intelligent enemy moves?

Kinako78
Jun 22, 2008, 09:23 AM
Now, first off, I know the enemy AI isn't that intelligent.

That said, has an enemy ever done something random that seems like it was done intentionally?

Example: One time I was fighting a group of Jishagara and I was trying to use my handgun to inflict Burn on each one first. At one instant, just as I was about to shoot one that wasn't burned yet, one that was already burned suddenly jumped in front of me and took the hit instead. Almost like it was protecting its friend...

So share any stories like this you may have. :)

Brainwrecked
Jun 22, 2008, 09:39 AM
The HIVE wizards on S2 seem to be very aware that they can teleport away and seem to be of the persuasion "discretion is the better part of valor."

Until you realize that the pattern is attack - teleport if players near - attack - teleport if players near - attack - teleport if players near - etc.

SabZero
Jun 22, 2008, 09:45 AM
To me it always looks like the robots in the Temple on Neudaiz do their best to shield the human enemies (magic users) from us. :mad:

Dragon_Knight
Jun 22, 2008, 09:53 AM
Only story I remember right now is long range enemies (espcialy Jarba and other megid throwers) have a tendancy to "lead" their shots into me instead of firing at where I currently am. i.e. I'm running full speed, maybe to get around them or something, and bam...I get hit by whatever they just shot at me.

The best example of it happened once with a Carriguine and its triple megid attack...I was running to attack one of the gaos that was also in the room, however I had to run in front of the Carr with about a handguns range of room between it and me it fires off the attack...and hits me while I'm running...I don't die so its no big deal...I keep running strait and I get hit by the second megid...I die from that...then I get up only to be smacked by a third megid and die from that one too. Mind you I'm not facing the Carr at all...I simply know its there and I'm passing through its field of view.

Brainwrecked
Jun 22, 2008, 10:51 AM
Only story I remember right now is long range enemies (espcialy Jarba and other megid throwers) have a tendancy to "lead" their shots into me instead of firing at where I currently am. i.e. I'm running full speed, maybe to get around them or something, and bam...I get hit by whatever they just shot at me.

The best example of it happened once with a Carriguine and its triple megid attack...I was running to attack one of the gaos that was also in the room, however I had to run in front of the Carr with about a handguns range of room between it and me it fires off the attack...and hits me while I'm running...I don't die so its no big deal...I keep running strait and I get hit by the second megid...I die from that...then I get up only to be smacked by a third megid and die from that one too. Mind you I'm not facing the Carr at all...I simply know its there and I'm passing through its field of view.

The computer is a cheating bastard. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheComputerIsACheatingBastard) While projectiles keep a straight path, the enemies can move while casting. You, however, are stuck.

GaNksTa
Jun 22, 2008, 11:46 AM
It is possible to give enemies incredibly cheap attacks which in turn might make it look intelligent.

Ruru
Jun 22, 2008, 12:14 PM
i've had a few instances of the old Seabed S2 jarbas deciding to move out of view quite often. i'm focused on one jarba shooting at it with the other 3 in view so i can see when and where megid is coming from and then notice the jarbas i'm not firing at start to move just out of my TV screens view and then blast a megid at me from the side when i can no longer see them, and its happened on many occasions they seem to always try to get out of my view so they can shoot megid at me when i can't see where its coming from.

another thing i noticed as a force are ollakas in whitebeast tend to spread out to both sides of the wall when i shoot megid at them so they split the damage, and when they get close to me they try to run behind me while my attention is in front so they can do their stupid running tackle and knock me away from the sides/behind.

Gunslinger-08
Jun 22, 2008, 04:57 PM
My favorite instance of supposed intelligence was on an S2 LL run, farming frags. I charge into a group of the del whatchamacallits, and one knocks me down. Now as I'm flying backwards, ALL the other enemies throw megid at me, in perfect synch. I died.

Ruru
Jun 22, 2008, 05:01 PM
My favorite instance of supposed intelligence was on an S2 LL run, farming frags. I charge into a group of the del whatchamacallits, and one knocks me down. Now as I'm flying backwards, ALL the other enemies throw megid at me, in perfect synch. I died.

sorry but that made me lol in real life >.>;

Weeaboolits
Jun 22, 2008, 05:30 PM
Once, a Bil was spinning, then another one punched me into it.

I died. ._.

goldbrease
Jun 22, 2008, 06:24 PM
hmm, the dragon bosses spit attack while fly will some times chase you >.> lock on fire balls for a dragon...
i faught a jarba once who decided to spam megid... only thing is this megid he stop and shot while i was running in circles and the megid turn in mid flight... i aint jokeing on this.

the ollakas in wb love to sudenly ram me in the back while i'm usieng a pa on one of thoes horse things on its behind.

ow the horse things love to sometimes wing 180 degress instead of there 90. and also love to fling me into the moveing ice flames.

speaking of bils i was in between 2 of them and both decided to do there tornado attack at the same time. that wasn't prety.

Broodstar1337
Jun 22, 2008, 08:08 PM
Not once has the AI made it seem like it's smart in this game.

Zarode
Jun 22, 2008, 08:23 PM
I got punched by three hil de bears in a rather nice domino effect, with the last one being a FALCON PUNCH.

I dcried.

Elbereth_Gilthoniel
Jun 22, 2008, 08:30 PM
During MAG I got thrown across the room by a Carriguine in the Ruins - and when I got up the trap on the ceiling dropped on me. If that wasn't enough the Carriguine shot Megid at me and the last one caught me as the trap wore off and stole a Scape D:

Darklighter
Jun 22, 2008, 11:46 PM
I had the same exact thing happen to me too. Damn traps and Carriguines.

Weeaboolits
Jun 22, 2008, 11:51 PM
One time I was running caves of ice and I was using knux on my newman fighter and came across the Bil in the hallway.

It ran away from me, it's learning. :)

pikachief
Jun 22, 2008, 11:58 PM
I was once punched by a deljeban, into another deljaban punching my PM, who threw me into another deljaban who was punching my NPC, who punched me into a ball of megid that was thrown at me in the first place, they just threw me back and forth a bit before i died lol >.>

I was playing bruce's dungeon and i decided to take out the dura ghora first. so im fighting him and 5 vandas circle me and WAIT. the big guy charges and the vandas all take in a deep breath..... lol @ almost 4000 damage XD

DOOMY DOOOOOM
Jun 23, 2008, 12:26 AM
I was running sleeping warriors and at the end of the mission when those three svaltus dudes spawn they made a triangular shape.
I went to attack one and he did that spinning attack and hit me into another one who as soon as I got up did and spinning attack again and hit me into the last one who hit me to where I started....it only took about 1/4 my health(Yay best fortefighter!) so I ran away and jabroga'd............They died

MSAksion
Jun 23, 2008, 01:03 AM
I noticed that when myself - The Teams TECHER - is low on HP the enemies suddenly stop attacking the team and aim all their FOIE at ME T__T while i'm trying to RESTA myself and the others who are weak.

So when i die - the team is still low on HP since the RESTA did not activate. Thus the others can be picked off if my team is so reliant on my healing and not their own TRIMATE supply.

But when that happens - i think maybe the computer is smart. They are programmed to attack the weakest HP or the Team TECHER i feel.

pikachief
Jun 23, 2008, 01:06 AM
I was running sleeping warriors and at the end of the mission when those three svaltus dudes spawn they made a triangular shape.
I went to attack one and he did that spinning attack and hit me into another one who as soon as I got up did and spinning attack again and hit me into the last one who hit me to where I started....it only took about 1/4 my health(Yay best fortefighter!) so I ran away and jabroga'd............They died

ORLY?

goldbrease
Jun 23, 2008, 01:12 AM
i think the only mob who i have seem any truly intelligent ai is those little tick buggers you fight in relics alot. they jump around they circle you they jump in with a strike jump out then proceed to jump sideways or back wards to keep away from me then repeat. however they also only use the same tactic so even if the ai uses it smartly it sure gets boring... and very annoying!

Jife_Jifremok
Jun 23, 2008, 03:15 AM
I've seen (several times) some ollakas pushing me into those cage traps that pop up outta the ground. What's worse, they sometimes push me NEXT TO the trap to ensnare me as if they know how shitty the hit detection is on the traps. Or sometimes a jarba'll punch me into (or next to) the trap, and hit me with dambarta while I'm trapped. Okay, so that last part's far more cowardly than smart (as it depends more on which way I happen to be going and how much camera trouble I'm having), so I usually bust out the EX TRAP revenge for a while when that happens. Yeah, Cheap THAT, assholes!

Ashkahn
Jun 23, 2008, 03:48 AM
Way back in the Seabed days, I got combo-punched by two Jarbas, which sent me flying near the door back to B2.

Of course I died. As soon as I burn my Scape Doll, Megid came at me and finished the PSU Physics Experiment, killing me and knocking me into the door and out to B2.

;_;

Elbereth_Gilthoniel
Jun 23, 2008, 06:28 AM
I had the same exact thing happen to me too. Damn traps and Carriguines.

It was as if they knew exactly what they were doing. 0_o Like when they trap you against the wall and trample you into oblivion :-x

Oh and yeah I've been thrown back into the previous block a few times myself. I think they really DO prefer to pick on Fortetechers, lol.

Kinako78
Jun 23, 2008, 09:42 AM
It was as if they knew exactly what they were doing. 0_o Like when they trap you against the wall and trample you into oblivion :-x

Oh and yeah I've been thrown back into the previous block a few times myself. I think they really DO prefer to pick on Fortetechers, lol.

Or maybe techers in general.

SabZero
Jun 23, 2008, 09:45 AM
i think the only mob who i have seem any truly intelligent ai is those little tick buggers you fight in relics alot. they jump around they circle you they jump in with a strike jump out then proceed to jump sideways or back wards to keep away from me then repeat. however they also only use the same tactic so even if the ai uses it smartly it sure gets boring... and very annoying!

Ah, good old Golmorons.

ThePendragon
Jun 23, 2008, 11:24 AM
Yeah, enemies seem to have a knack for pushing me into traps. :|

Kylie
Jun 23, 2008, 11:45 AM
Anyone else notice how kakwanes go for the person furthest away from them? Ugh.

But I can't say as much for intelligent moves as much as I could unintelligent ones.

Weeaboolits
Jun 23, 2008, 02:22 PM
Anyone else notice how kakwanes go for the person furthest away from them? Ugh.

But I can't say as much for intelligent moves as much as I could unintelligent ones.Owning sum rangers?

panzer_unit
Jun 23, 2008, 02:30 PM
Now, first off, I know the enemy AI isn't that intelligent.

... yeah any stories here are definitely about how a stopped clock is still right twice a day.

I was feeling pretty tough, taking on Jarbas with really high element ice armor and freeze resist. They'll usually cast dambarta up close, which just hurts a lot rather than possibly instakilling you. The fun part was how I was staggering around in one dambarta and the rest of the Jarbas all ignored my teammates to shoot megid just at me.

Arika
Jun 23, 2008, 02:38 PM
the grass assassin try to push you into the fire on the Egg thieves.

Alia
Jun 26, 2008, 06:02 PM
Well, I haven't seen any enemy smartness, however...

This one time I was fighting Maggas and I got stunned. Curtz ran up to me, pulled out a wand, and started healing....

I know PMs level up, but as far as I know, NPCs do not...

goldbrease
Jun 26, 2008, 06:16 PM
speaking about ai stupidity, ive put maya in my party for healing, she will let us run around with like 5% hp left and then we will be sitting in a spot with no mobs, and i wait for her to heal as she cycles weapons... then she switches between her attack cane and cross bow over and over..

then i use a trimate and she immediately switches to her resta weapon and heals us... then she uses the status ailment remover on us when poison has worn off... and sometimes when running down a hall she will suddenly turn and run into the wall and keep running at the wall.

Weeaboolits
Jun 26, 2008, 06:22 PM
Maya constantly tries to cure my megistarides with her reverser, this infuriates me to no end.

Finalzone
Jun 28, 2008, 11:33 PM
Well, I haven't seen any enemy smartness, however...

This one time I was fighting Maggas and I got stunned. Curtz ran up to me, pulled out a wand, and started healing....

I know PMs level up, but as far as I know, NPCs do not...

NPCs do, I have seen May and Laia leveling up when I started as Newman.

Poncho_Jr
Jun 28, 2008, 11:42 PM
A Jishagara casted Shifta.... I died.

60Hz
Jun 29, 2008, 12:27 AM
Some kings exhibit intelligent behavior... The olghmon king will call their subject to them and then execute megiverse - really nasty combo. The ollakas always protect their king by running circles around them... vahra ofcourse call their subbjects to them to heal them... there several more examples of kings and their subjects... it's pretty nutty... i think the king enemies are incredible and yet very undocumented... o.O

60Hz
Jun 29, 2008, 12:32 AM
Oh and vahra kings call their subjects to them, then all the subjects blast in unison their flame breath in a ring of flaming violence... one of my favorite king behaviors for sure...

SabZero
Jun 29, 2008, 04:23 AM
Oh and vahra kings call their subjects to them, then all the subjects blast in unison their flame breath in a ring of flaming violence... one of my favorite king behaviors for sure...

You mean Vandas ;)

It's cool, true. But very ineffective when you are next to the king already XD