PDA

View Full Version : 360 ID scam

Telina
Jun 22, 2008, 09:54 PM
Look, i'm fairly sure this doesn't belong here but i feel the need to alert the community. There is a recent scam that started on the market place and is spreading to PSU apparently. A friend of mine was tricked and not they are logging into her xbl account and psu account and NPCing all her items.

Please do not fall for such a rediculous trick... please tell your friends as the party responsible is sending out mesages through PSU and XBL so please alert your friends to this scam right away

LuigiMario
Jun 22, 2008, 09:59 PM
Not this again.....

DarkEliteRico
Jun 22, 2008, 10:00 PM
False xbox.com sites are the most popular method of this scam....if you ever get a message for free microsoft points and so forth then it's a scam, you should know microsoft doesn't give shit away for free and when they do it's not worth it.

McLaughlin
Jun 22, 2008, 10:06 PM
I don't see how people can fall for this crap. "All you need to do is jump through a bunch of hoops and sign in on a site that looks suspiciously like Xbox.com."

I mean, do you people honestly think Microsoft would undermine itself like that?

I think the people who fall for this should be subjected to Darwinization.

Jerriel
Jun 22, 2008, 10:07 PM
OK my friend about 7:30 PM PST sunday june 22. got there account hacked. a person was offering MP of going to a website. DO NOT GO TO IT. my friend RGC Birdie RC PSU account got hacked and she lost everything. NEVER GIVE YOU ACCOUNT OUT TO WEBSITE THAT ARE NOT XBOX.COM

Spread that word. Help my friends account not die in vain!!!!!!!!

Telina
Jun 22, 2008, 10:21 PM
They state a website and ask you to log in with your GT's email and password with the promise of 1600 free microsoft points a day

they recover your GT and i'm helplessly watching my friend's items get NPC'd.

I'm on the phone with microsoft as i type this...(oh hold, wtg microsoft) to alert some higher ups, so action, if any at all, can be taken to halt this.

Weeaboolits
Jun 22, 2008, 10:21 PM
Generally speaking, sharing your account information is a bad idea.

Jerriel
Jun 22, 2008, 10:23 PM
Hey if all the people told their friends about this and so on and so forth we can stop this and help more people

Nitro Vordex
Jun 22, 2008, 10:36 PM
Generally speaking, sharing your account information is a bad idea.

This.

Come on people. COMMON SENSE MUTHA F*CKERS.

Sasamichan
Jun 22, 2008, 10:38 PM
I got no sympathy for people that fall for these kinda scams.

Telina
Jun 22, 2008, 10:48 PM
Then have sympathy for those who simply don't grasp the idea of these internet scams.

I didn't ask for your pity, or in anyway invite it. I posted this out of concern for those who don't know any better.

Just alert your friends to it, its better to take precautions than clean up the mess it would cause.

strikershadow
Jun 22, 2008, 10:49 PM
ive never heard about it with the xbox, but to all the adults on here. there have been a lot of simular kind of emails, mostly regarding banks. the emails states you need to update your information and sends you a link, if you click the link look at the site address... its always something that has nothing to do with the bank... i see some like www dot bweriou dot com for commerce and other banks... this also goes for myspace and ebay and and any other site that deals in money... those are a bit harder to see...

for the people puttin in there information for free stuff... come on microsoft? when the hell did bill gates do anything? he cant even get a hair cut... common sense, but be careful about the "update your account" emails...

AND IF YOU READ THE EMAIL ALWAYS RUN YOUR VIRUS PROTECTION FULL SCAN!!!

There is a virus out there that cannot be deleted, or removed or quaranteened but will be detected... it steals your information and the only way to get rid of it is to buy a new harddrive...

Ahkaskar
Jun 22, 2008, 10:56 PM
Friends don't let friends sign up for "free" stuff.

Maskim
Jun 22, 2008, 11:21 PM

You mean, because the warning's already been posted here multiple times; in addition to on the official PSU forums and site; in addition to Microsoft warning of the same phishing scam; in addition to you can't watch 5 minutes of the news without seeing a story on someone being phished and having their identity stolen in a similar manner every single day; in addition to common flipping sense?

I guess I can respect that opinion. ;)

Jerriel
Jun 22, 2008, 11:35 PM
You mean, because the warning's already been posted here multiple times; in addition to on the official PSU forums and site; in addition to Microsoft warning of the same phishing scam; in addition to you can't watch 5 minutes of the news without seeing a story on someone being phished and having their identity stolen in a similar manner every single day; in addition to common flipping sense?

I guess I can respect that opinion. ;)

I guess i can respect that you have no heart

Ken_Silver
Jun 23, 2008, 01:07 AM
I see it this way, people fall for scams everyday. People get their e-mails hacked, bank accounts and the lot. 360 Gamertags are no different, I suppose.

But just because people fall for this stuff, doesn't make them morons.

I'm a computer graphics major and I know people who know how to do this stuff. ANYONE can fall for it, depending on how skilled the scammers actually are. And they get pretty freakin' creative too. Trust me on that one.

Some people can have thier info hacked without even giving out their info. That's how good some of the scams can get. So have some pity for those who have been scammed.

Besides, the scammers go for the ones who "never get scammed." Why? For two reasons. Either because their afraid to admit they got caught in a scam and never report it or because they will never know they got scammed until it's too late.

So I personally send out my condolences to the TC's friends and I'll pass the word (as I normally do) to any and all of my friends and family. :)

Nitro Vordex
Jun 23, 2008, 01:11 AM
We're not saying they're morons, we are saying that you should think before you do something dumb like giving out information.

Usually it's simply a problem of common sense-1

Ken_Silver
Jun 23, 2008, 01:17 AM
We're not saying they're morons, we are saying that you should think before you do something dumb like giving out information.

Usually it's simply a problem of common sense-1

That is true, but you forget. Common Sense is lacking in the (what is considered to be the) "average person." (I personally don't agree with this, but it has some truth to it.)

I've learned not to expect anyone to know anything, or at least that's what they teach you when your dealing with people and computers.

But yeah, that is the basics of Computers 101. But you'd be suprised how many people don't know that. Look how popular the Video Professor guy is. He made money off of people not knowing.

Wish I had thought of that. :razz:

DjDragoon
Jun 23, 2008, 01:59 AM
I see it this way, people fall for scams everyday. People get their e-mails hacked, bank accounts and the lot. 360 Gamertags are no different, I suppose.

I'm a computer graphics major and I know people who know how to do this stuff. ANYONE can fall for it, depending on how skilled the scammers actually are. And they get pretty freakin' creative too. Trust me on that one.

Some people can have thier info hacked without even giving out their info. That's how good some of the scams can get. So have some pity for those who have been scammed.

Besides, the scammers go for the ones who "never get scammed." Why? For two reasons. Either because their afraid to admit they got caught in a scam and never report it or because they will never know they got scammed until it's too late.

So I personally send out my condolences to the TC's friends and I'll pass the word (as I normally do) to any and all of my friends and family. :)

Someone's talking some sense here. A good point is being made.

A friend of mine also got his account stolen, but claims not to have given away his information at all. That may or may not be true, corse it also could mean that people are coming up with smarter ways of getting information, and my friend's no moron.

Still, I have no idea what kinda satisfaction one could get from messing with someone else's account and renaming the characters "aNoob" and changing the gamertag to "PSUisforpros". Unfortunately, it's the kinda world we live in. I also hate players using any kinds of exploits in the game, like the gay machine gun glitch.

Mewnie
Jun 23, 2008, 02:25 AM
Microsoft, Sega, et al will never ask for your password, etc.

I can't believe people still fall for this crap over and over and over....

Maskim
Jun 23, 2008, 02:35 AM

I don't think they are all morons, although a good percentage may just be (the results haven't finished being tallied yet). I think it's unfortunate that the old saying 'Common sense isn't all that common' is true, and proved every minute of every day.

Yes, I think it sucks for these people that they've become the victims of identity theft, especially if they delay in contacting the proper businesses, like their bank/credit card provider, microsoft, sega, and the local authorities, in that order. Their LIVE account has a credit card attached to it, probably why PSU accounts are prime targets, because they're guaranteed to have a card associated with them, to pay for the guardian's license each month. They've potentially lost a lot more than their PSU characters, and need to act fast in order to limit damages.

The people doing this are con men, not hackers. It can happen online, over the phone, or in person. I also personally refuse to believe that anyone has ever had all their info stolen without them ever making it possible. In an online sense, either entering ones information into a phishing site, or unwittingly downloading and installing a keylogger or similar program, but once again, it is common sense: Don't enter your info into sites that aren't where you meant to be (an 'official' xbox site that isn't xbox.com), and don't download or install any programs that you don't know what they are, don't scan out safely, or come from a source you don't trust.

As a security consultant, I find it mind boggling how people leave themselves open to theft everyday. It's not like we live in an utopian age where everyone's a perfect person. If people put a little thought into their actions, and to their protection, they'd for the most part, be fine.

There's another old saying that would protect virtually every scam victim there's ever been. 'If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.'

GaNksTa
Jun 23, 2008, 02:39 AM
You mean the ************t35**** one thats floating around?

Iduno
Jun 23, 2008, 04:00 AM
Microsoft, Sega, et al will never ask for your password, etc.

I can't believe people still fall for this crap over and over and over....

Yeah

It seems that common sense is so rare its a god damn superpower

People need to learn microsoft wont dish out points for free, you have NOT won any compotitions you haven't entered and its best to type out a real sites name to go to it and check these things out rather then follow one of these links.

Ashkahn
Jun 23, 2008, 04:43 AM
Hi, I'm the scammer.

Just thanking all you chumps for funding my new beach resort.

(Raises wine glass)

Ciao.

Para
Jun 23, 2008, 06:02 AM
lol troll.

"Sometimes its just too good to be true."

DarkEliteRico
Jun 23, 2008, 06:54 AM
Me either, even after a good friend of mine got hit. There's nothing that microsoft can do really unless they remember the url of the fake site and the Gamertag that sent out the message.

And stated before, giving your account information for ANY reason is just stupid. Microsoft will need your info verified but they won't ask you for your password (in most cases)

Mman2000
Jun 23, 2008, 07:10 AM
If it sounds too good to be true, it's false, that's common knowlege. The fact that people fall for shit like this reflects the fact that people are too damn lazy to FUCKING THINK before they punch in their user info. There is NO website you should ever enter your live password into other than xbox.com. If it's not on xbox.com, it's not microsoft, it's that fucking simple. If you don't punch your shit into every input box that asks for it, you will be ok. If you do, you're a complete moron and you deserve to have your stuff taken. If you think people who fall for these things deserve any sympathy, you are delusional.

DarkEliteRico
Jun 23, 2008, 07:13 AM
If it sounds too good to be true, it's false, that's common knowlege. The fact that people fall for shit like this reflects the fact that people are too damn lazy to FUCKING THINK before they punch in their user info. There is NO website you should ever enter your live password into other than xbox.com. If it's not on xbox.com, it's not microsoft, it's that fucking simple. If you don't punch your shit into every input box that asks for it, you will be ok. If you do, you're a complete moron and you deserve to have your stuff taken. If you think people who fall for these things deserve any sympathy, you are delusional.

Guess you've never seen one of the pages then, i wouldn't say it's a great copy of a xbox page, but it is pretty nicely done. So i could honestly see a bunch of those kiddy players or just naive people going ahead and giving everything out for a chance to get some free shit.

Cracka_J
Jun 23, 2008, 08:43 AM
The internet should give people IQ tests before you can go online.
That would eliminate these retards giving their info to scam sites.

Congratulations thread! You get my "dumbass award" of the day!

Mman2000
Jun 23, 2008, 08:46 AM
In other words, people who don't double-check URLs might fall for it, and learn the hard way. I still don't have sympathy for them since fake login pages are a pretty common scam. In the case of kiddy players though, I'd blame the parents for not giving their kid a crash course of internet safety 101 after setting them up with the 360 and the xbox live account.

Edit:
Quoted For Fucking Truth

Ashkahn
Jun 23, 2008, 11:48 AM

Thirded, though I still enjoy laughing at the stupid people.

AlphaDragoon
Jun 23, 2008, 11:56 AM
I forgot that there are a lot more young players on 360 version. I was all set to say, "Who the hell would fall for something stupid like that anyway, it's just like spam e-mails" when I realized that children (especially ones who don't use a lot of internet) can and will easily fall for such a trick.

Sekani
Jun 23, 2008, 12:07 PM
This has been going around on for a while now, the same scam being used on multiple URLs, and people are STILL falling for it?

There have been so many warnings about this thing that there is almost no more that can be done on our part to protect people.

At the VERY least look for the damned lock icon indicating a secure website before handing over any personal info.

aidenunder
Aug 14, 2008, 05:56 PM
dude i hate phishers and i like sasamichan's sig btw

McLaughlin
Aug 14, 2008, 06:55 PM
Dude. Don't necro-bump.