PDA

View Full Version : What if Sonic Team Merged the JP and NA/EU PC/PS2 Servers?

Shou
Jun 23, 2008, 12:13 AM
Wouldn't it be easier to handle if they only had to worry about 1 server? What is the point of keeping them separate anyways? Would mean more people.

360 servers get along just fine with english and JP speeking players.

Thoughts?

pikachief
Jun 23, 2008, 12:16 AM
MICROSOFT WONT LET THEM. MICROSOFT WONT LET ANY MERGES OF ANY SYSTEMS OTHER THAN THEIR OWN HAPPEN. THATS Y THE JP 360 SERVERS AND OURS ARE ON TEH SAME SERVERS>

now that that's out of the way, it would be neat but i dont find it necessary.

Nitro Vordex
Jun 23, 2008, 12:23 AM
Plus, all international hell would break loose.

/thread

Ahkaskar
Jun 23, 2008, 12:40 AM
I second the sentiment of international hell.

MICROSOFT WONT LET THEM. MICROSOFT WONT LET ANY MERGES OF ANY SYSTEMS OTHER THAN THEIR OWN HAPPEN. THATS Y THE JP 360 SERVERS AND OURS ARE ON TEH SAME SERVERS>
Honest question, why would Final Fantasy 11 be permitted to run on the same server, when PSU isn't?

Personally, my theory is the voice chat support.

Ken_Silver
Jun 23, 2008, 12:43 AM
okay, I see why they keep the JPN servers seperate from the US/EU servers then... (boo. We must learn to get along) but why not fuse the 360 and the PC/PS2 US/EU servers?

Oh wai... Microsoft... Boo some more.

If they did do it, that would solve a lot of problems though. Maybe Sega should try to push the issue with MS...

pikachief
Jun 23, 2008, 12:52 AM
I second the sentiment of international hell.

Honest question, why would Final Fantasy 11 be permitted to run on the same server, when PSU isn't?

idk thats sega's excuse every time :/ microsoft wont let them

chaoskila
Jun 23, 2008, 01:00 AM
well i thnk its a cool idea so chill guys.

Sasamichan
Jun 23, 2008, 01:03 AM
Ewww, no. Keep those people out of our servers.

Ken_Silver
Jun 23, 2008, 01:09 AM
Ewww, no. Keep those people out of our servers.

Say what? Dem sound like fighting words! :wink:

What did we ever do to you?

/sarcasm.

Don't worry. We don't spread 65's. :twak:

Sasamichan
Jun 23, 2008, 01:24 AM
Say what? Dem sound like fighting words! :wink:

What did we ever do to you?

/sarcasm.

Don't worry. We don't spread 65's. :twak:

I wasn't talking about the merging with the 360, I was talking about the merge with the Japanese.

goldbrease
Jun 23, 2008, 01:25 AM
why not just merg the jp pc/ps2 and us/eu pc/ps2 servers then? that way we get updated faster.

Chuck_Norris
Jun 23, 2008, 01:28 AM
I wasn't talking about the merging with the 360, I was talking about the merge with the *3 letter abbreviation*s.

http://www.truthdig.com/images/eartothegrounduploads/allen_racist_500.jpg

Ken_Silver
Jun 23, 2008, 01:39 AM
I wasn't talking about the merging with the 360, I was talking about the merge with the Japanese.

LOL, my mistake. I don't know if that's better or worse. :P

Sasamichan
Jun 23, 2008, 01:47 AM
LOL, my mistake. I don't know if that's better or worse. :P

Pros:
-More people to party with
-Share the same updates

Cons:
-Most of us can't communicate with them
-We will slow down their updates
-They hate us

VectormanX
Jun 23, 2008, 01:53 AM
From my experience, i haven't seen any hateful people on JP. basically, play and use common sense, and common courtesy which in itself a language that is understood by everyone around the world. I personally wouldn't mind merging servers so i can get a chance to play with some of you guys :D

Arika
Jun 23, 2008, 03:14 AM
Basically , we will jump and skip many update to reach the same point as them, but then... the whole server (JP+US) will update very slow again, because they have to delay due to problem on translate game from JP->ENG language (which I assume this is the work from US team)

Ezodagrom
Jun 23, 2008, 07:06 AM
Merging pc/ps2 US/EU servers with pc/ps2 JP servers I don't think it would be a good idea. We would skip alot of updates (or just get them all at once, which wouldn't be that bad), but we would lose a full event (Mission Carnival). And also, since we have such a low population on US/EU pc/ps2, it would become alot harder to play with english speakers (unless we player in our isolated universe) v.v

Merging xbox360 and pc/ps2 US/EU servers...I don't even know why they've been separated since the beginning...That merge would actually make sense. Same updates, english speaker population on both...I guess the only problem in this is Microsoft...or Segac <.<

Reipard
Jun 23, 2008, 07:31 AM
My understanding is that they use XBL's features and if they merge all servers, lose access to that and have to develop their own solution for voice chat and whatnot.

Shou
Jun 23, 2008, 09:04 AM
If we did merge we would just say that *uni15* is the english speeking univere so I dont think language is a problem.

Abashi76
Jun 23, 2008, 09:21 AM
well i thnk its a cool idea so chill guys.

Me too, thats how it should be. Its ashame that Microsoft won't let a connection between 360 & PC/PS2. It be nice to combine our servers with JP, just let the players go to the Universe with their language on it.

Omega_Weltall
Jun 23, 2008, 09:51 AM
US/EU + JP = JP players would BAWWWWWWWW
I've came across MANY asshole JP players especialy in FF11. ...call me a gaijin in my own fucking house...
And their bullshit politeness "Please can you go to another party, we cant talk to you"] Translation: "WE DONT WANT YOUR GAJIN ASS PLAYING WITH US YOU FAT WHITE AMERICAN PIG!" ...but i'm not white ;_; next thing i know, boot to Lobby. This happened on PSO

Shou
Jun 23, 2008, 10:03 AM
Lol i just realized this sounds like Brow Vs. Board of Education. Sonic Team wants our servers to be separate but equal.

I am here, my fellow PSU players, to tell you that our servers are separate but NOT equal! I have a dream that one day little JP loli and burly American/EU jabroga spamming beasts will join hands and be able to share a single community in peace! I have a dream!

:-)

Kylie
Jun 23, 2008, 10:32 AM
I'm sure maybe it'd be possible, but Idunno. I think SEGA's lazy, and they don't care enough about us to do something like this. Plus, JP players outnumber us by a lot, so Idunno if merging with them and getting that population would be worth having most of the players knowing a different language. Although, maybe we'd get better service.

Schubalts
Jun 23, 2008, 10:39 AM
The 360 servers are seperate because that version PSU has integrated features from Xbox Live. Final Fantasy 11 uses Square-Enix's PlayOnline system.

DAMASCUS
Jun 23, 2008, 12:10 PM
No auto-phrasing....*sigh*

Zarode
Jun 23, 2008, 01:59 PM
Uh, most Japanese players I met on the JP version are pretty damn nice, even though I don't know a lick of Japanese myself. I just knew the basics. Hell, they threw freebies my way all the time. :| Kinda miss it, really.

PSOGC JP players were fun too. :D C-Mode was always awesome with JP players around. I miss those good ol days.

I'd love a merge with them. The reason they hate "baka gaijin" so much is because it's true. A lot of US/EU players suck, and ARE stupid, thus, they tend to not want to deal with us. If there is anyone to blame, its you and your friends/kind/country for being so crappy at simple things.

Now, merging with the 360 players? Jesus christ, I just RAN AWAY from that server, do you really think I wanna deal with THOSE idiots again? :(

Brainwrecked
Jun 23, 2008, 02:27 PM

The 360 servers are seperate because that version PSU has integrated features from Xbox Live. Final Fantasy 11 uses Square-Enix's PlayOnline system.

My understanding is that they use XBL's features and if they merge all servers, lose access to that and have to develop their own solution for voice chat and whatnot.

Relevant to my interests.

TL;DR version: Microsoft doesn't play nice with the other kids in the yard.

For those with some time on their hands:

Microsoft wants to use their technology and only their technology. The 360 is no different, only now Microsoft can make it part of the development contract if you want to produce licensed games on their system. If you have tons of fans and a loyal following, you'll have the cash needed to persuade Microsoft to let you out of this clause. If your fan base is smaller (because your previous game was a hacker's paradise and your current game is releasing minimum content and pooching just about every update possible) then you don't have that option.

Similar thing to the Games for Windows titles you see on the shelf. To get that branding, you have to go Microsoft's way. Only problem for Microsoft, though, is that the PC is an open platform, and the Windows API cat was let out of the bag a long time ago. Not so easy to persuade developers 100% to your side.

Inazuma
Jun 23, 2008, 02:42 PM
actually i think its sega who doesnt want to merge the servers, and microsoft who does. sega themselves chose to seperate the jp and eng vers of the pc/ps2 ver, but on xbox they are combined. i bet microsoft told sega they werent allowed to seperate the regions so they didnt have a choice.

and dont forget about pso's history. it started off being worldwide and each new version was completely destroyed shortly after release. then for blue burst, sega decided to seperate the servers, and for the first time in pso history, there was a version of pso that wasnt completely destroyed. its still up and running today, almost 4 years later. makes sense that sega would continue to keep things seperate for psu, doesnt it?

it all comes down to cheating/hacking prevention in the end. if sega knew they would be able to stop all cheating, thats when we could have our merge and everyone would benefit.

ZeroGT
Jun 23, 2008, 03:46 PM
i cant see why not square did that in ffXI why not here

Weeaboolits
Jun 23, 2008, 03:48 PM
Please use WORD SELECT
>Everyone

Orin654
Jun 23, 2008, 03:52 PM

now that that's out of the way, it would be neat but i dont find it necessary.

LOL. Did you even read first post properly? He said PC servers.

Hiroko
Jun 23, 2008, 04:01 PM
I personally would enjoy having the JPN players on the same servers, but I speak Japanese...so the language hurdle is nothing big. However, I really wouldn't want to play with some of the 360 players, whose non-pubescent voices would drive me nuts after 20minutes of spam talk...

Now...I know that not all the 360 population is teens, but from what I've seen from the pre-aoi days...it doesn't look very promising.

But Microsoft will never merge the servers due to the Xbox Marketplace/Xbox LIVE. So...guess us ps2/pc people will remain separate after all.

And that's Hrk's thoughts on the matter...

Phoenix_Black
Jun 23, 2008, 04:14 PM
Can you imagine trying to catch us up wih the Japanese... I don't think Sonic Team could do it...

Dragwind
Jun 23, 2008, 04:59 PM
This has been discussed time and time again. Next time, please use the search if you are curious on a subject matter.