PDA

View Full Version : Any help for a new guy?

phrederick
Jun 25, 2008, 03:37 AM
Sooo many questions, sooo many people not willing to help. blah. online at least.

well let me back up. I just got this game yesterday, and I'm still lost as ever. As of now i've completed 1 mission, maybe 2. I'm far from new to pso, it's just that psu is so.. different. Anyways, I have a few questions I was hoping some people could clear up. Also, I'm on 360, gt is "the phrederick" if anyone could jump on and give me a few pointers :)

First of all, do I have to do missions to get off the ship/cities and into the action? I miss just jumping in like in PSO. When's a good level to actually start choosing my type? I'm a fan of casts and a fan of rangers(and bows <3 ), so far guntecher looks like the best choice but casts and techs? seems kinda dumb.. I loved having traps with my HUcast and RAcast in pso, but is protranser any good? I haven't seen a single one in the game and I'm thinking there's probably a reason.

Sorry to keep rambling, i'm just real lost. I'm even more confused about PM, i don't know the first thing about it and just was looking for some insight as to what the guides mean. Same with synthesis, recipe boards, photon arts, etc... I'm sure it will come to me in time, I just dont know what to look out for. I was originally going to finish single player before online, but the story is just soo boring and slow I wanted to actually get a jump on making my own character.

Thanks beforehand to anyone who helps, and I look forward to playing with everyone

Turb0
Jun 25, 2008, 03:44 AM
I never played pso so idk what you're talking about there, but I'll see if I can help a bit. Not sure on what you mean by getting "into the action." You can go between planets and areas without doing missions, but the missions are the action. I wouldn't worry too much about choosing your type, just level up the basic classes and try a few of them out.

As far as PMs go, you can feed them pretty much any item to increase its stats. Certain types of items increase certain stats more than others; that's what the guides are for. To synthesize, you first need to insert the synthesis board into the PM and then make sure you have all the required materials stored in it.

EDIT: That sounded like a much better explanation in my head but I'm tired and need to go to bed lol. I'm sure others will help you understand things better if you need it.^^

Traize
Jun 25, 2008, 03:45 AM
My GT is Traize, I'd be happy to help, though I'm in the UK so time differences might be difficult!

Protranser always seems like a pretty awesome class to have in a party, but I think you have to be a decent player, you know, a bit selfless, a bit thoughtful, to make it as a Protranser.

I personally like being a Fortegunner, but I got bored with my human & now I play a Beast for the nanoblast. But theres no reason you can't give everything a try & see what you like! Sometime in the near future we'll be getting an extra two weeks of an event called MAG which is played from the Clyez City Guardians Branch which will have you from level 0 to 80 in about 20 hours (it worked for me!), its also great for leveling jobs & letting you get a taste of each one.

As for getting out there & seeing the sights... You should just have to go floor 4 on Clyez & take any of the transports to the other planets. Once you've visited the Guardians Branch of each you'll be able to jump to specific locations on that planet's Capital City.

Easiest way to get there quickly of course is to be dragged around by someone! There are some nice folks on the 360, but they studiously avoid the others for the sake of their ears! So if you want, go ahead & add me & I'll try & help you out!

Cavarcous
Jun 25, 2008, 03:48 AM
Ignore the trolls.

Missions take you to different Lobbies on each of the planets, and in those Lobbies, you can access more missions.

You should start building up for your type with the basic classes. Since you want to go Guntecher off the bat, start leveling those twin handguns and machineguns as Ranger and bows and buffs as Force.

Protranser, in my opinion, is a class you play when you're a little more familiar with the other advanced classes, mainly Fortefighter and Fortegunner.

www.psupedia.info is a good website to get you familiar with the game. Study it. You'll know this game like the back of your hand soon enough... x.x

Ruru
Jun 25, 2008, 03:55 AM
i'd like to help out in person but sadly i'm on PS2.

most i can do is give a little insight on some stuff.

to get to new planets you go to the 4th floor of clyez city. left side has the three main planets. parum moatoob neudaiz. they each have different mission counters in different parts of their cities.

best place to hang around and try to get used to the gameplay itself is clyez city 4th floor and do the mission in the linear line called unsafe passage. beginners level. its on the far right of the 4th floor.

as for PM feeding etc. you can feed your PM 100 times in a 12 hour period. the type of "food" you feed it makes it grow towards a certain type. striking tech range armor. at level 20 50 and 80 it will change form depending on what you're feeding it and what type it's leaning towards. i'm sure PSUpedia has a good guide for PM's. recipe boards are synthesis information on everything from weapons to armor to room decos. the type of PM you eventually make will determine the types of boards you will mostly be using. striking would be hunter weapons sabers daggers etc. tech would be techer weapons rods wands tech mags. and so on.

hope this helps a bit.

phrederick
Jun 25, 2008, 03:55 AM
to ashkahn- If i can make it 3 years in world of warcraft i'm honestly not afraid of psu, i just dont know what all the terms mean. besides i miss my racast and cant play anything higher than easy on PSO so i needed a new game, i quit paying for that years ago.

Traize, i will definitely add you, i could use all the help i can get, so its never too much. and even though i live in the US im always awake at different hours of the day so i'm sure we'll meet eventually. and i remember lurking around here for a while hearing about MAG, never knew what it was, and wanted to get in on it before the opportunity was lost.

cavarcous- I figured protranser was one of the "advanced" classes, it just sounded like my cup o tea, I'll never know until i try it. I looked into the official psu site and that seemed to say a bit about each type, its hard for me to decide haha. thanks for your advice as well.

ruru- thanks that helped a bit, ill try out that mission i never even knew that existed! lol and ill check psupedia, that seems to be the know-all for anything NOT on this site, so hopefully i can get a bit more knowledgeable. it seems like the PMs are like the old mags, is there a gallery or anything of what they change into? i know at a certain level they can join you in the field, i just hope they arent all mini-androids

Ruru
Jun 25, 2008, 04:04 AM
there is most likely on PSUpedia also lol.
ALL but two of them are female casts. the other two are a butler and boy both casts. and yes they're all mini casts that follow you around in missions once you get their synth level to 80. if you've been to anyone's room in the game and saw a mini-person in the room at either the shop counter or the bed then you've just seen a partner machine lol.

they're KIND of like the old mags in a way just dont help with stats or anything. basically all they do depending on what type they are is kill/debuff things and heal/buff you.

Ogni-XR21
Jun 25, 2008, 04:33 AM
Welcome to PSU!

One thing that might be good to know is that you can change your job anytime you like, you can do that in the Guardians Branch of Clyez City (5th floor), if you played the tutorial (which you can start from your PM's menu) you probably know already.

When you do a mission you will get mission points at the end of the run, in order to check the results you need to manually select the rewards screen (once you finish a mission there will be a "pling" sound and a star like symbol in the bottom left corner, to access this menu you have to press "L2"). If you don't access this you will not get any mission rewards.

Other than that, most stuff is learning by doing. Your best bet is probably playing as a Cast Fortegunner, you can even get the original PSO RaCast outfit in PSU. But first you should play a bit, earn some money and level up.

Enjoy your stay.

Ruru
Jun 25, 2008, 04:37 AM
"if you dont access this you will not get any mission rewards."

hmm not sure how that is on 360 but on PC/PS2 you dont have to look at that at all. once the mission is done you get the MP/frags no matter if you check it or not.

Brainwrecked
Jun 25, 2008, 05:30 AM
If you don't access this you will not get any mission rewards.

When my wife and I play together, we are in adjacent rooms. I often see that her class has leveled up on my screen before I hear the level-up jingle come from the other room. IOW, it's all eye candy. You get your reward before the first dialog box ever pops up.

Brainwrecked
Jun 25, 2008, 05:53 AM
First of all, do I have to do missions to get off the ship/cities and into the action? I miss just jumping in like in PSO.

Check out http://psupedia.info/Missions -- they have an excellent flow chart on which lobbies lead to which mission lead to which lobbies lead to which missions, etc.

When's a good level to actually start choosing my type?

You'll do this as you complete missions. Killing things gives you EXP for your character. Completing missions give you MP for your class. Missions are balanced between EXP, MP, and monetary reward. Supposedly.

On the 5th floor of the Guardians Colony, you'll find the counter at which you can switch types. You'll see the types available, the prerequisites, and the effect each class has on your stats.

I'm a fan of casts and a fan of rangers(and bows <3 ), so far guntecher looks like the best choice but casts and techs? seems kinda dumb.. I loved having traps with my HUcast and RAcast in pso, but is protranser any good? I haven't seen a single one in the game and I'm thinking there's probably a reason.

Protransers can be good, but for whatever reason they start off really weak. Once you level them up they are just as powerful as any advanced class. And their traps can be huge life-savers.

Casts as any kind of techer might seem dumb, but this isn't the most well-balanced game. You aren't going to take as big a hit in the tech-casting department as you might think.

I'm even more confused about PM, i don't know the first thing about it and just was looking for some insight as to what the guides mean.

Again, PSUpedia to the rescue -- http://psupedia.info/Partner_machines .

In fact, keep that site bookmarked. PSUpedia and PSO-World go hand-in-hand.

I was originally going to finish single player before online, but the story is just soo boring and slow I wanted to actually get a jump on making my own character.

Can't blame you. All it does is provide you a with a back-story and punish you every step of the way with thin a plot and terrible (save Karen) voice acting.

Ogni-XR21
Jun 25, 2008, 06:25 AM
hmm not sure how that is on 360 but on PC/PS2 you dont have to look at that at all. once the mission is done you get the MP/frags no matter if you check it or not.
Today 09:33 AM

When my wife and I play together, we are in adjacent rooms. I often see that her class has leveled up on my screen before I hear the level-up jingle come from the other room. IOW, it's all eye candy. You get your reward before the first dialog box ever pops up.

Well I was told so when I started PSU (back when v.1 was released), good to know that I don't have to check everytime.

Miyuki
Jun 25, 2008, 12:55 PM
Word of advice is to take some consideration into how you make your 1st character as far as race is concerned. It would suck to realize as you get higher level and wish you were a different race. You can change certain aspects of your appearance in the makeup room but NOT things such as proportions, body size, etc. Casts/beasts seem very popular for SUV/nanoblast features. Newman for tech classes. Some players may trash you for using humans, but I like their appearance better. You might want to base your decision on what class you'll eventually want to use, but you'll probably end up trying multiple classes as you cap each one.
I'm usually on in evenings PST if you need a hand. I have a lower level I may be willing to level. Consider myself a recreational player and nowhere near elitist. GT is EvoKero or feel free to PM.