PDA

View Full Version : Techs toned down?

MaRayearth
Jun 26, 2008, 09:51 AM
So I read that in the next JP update, tier 5 (level 41+...) Techs will look like tier 3 (level 21+...) Techs, and tier 4 will look like tier 2 or something.

Is this true? Has it been confirmed? Is it going to happen on our servers as well?

Magician
Jun 26, 2008, 09:54 AM
Then what would tier one techs look like?

I doubt this is true.

relentless
Jun 26, 2008, 09:55 AM
Yeah as for the JP update patch, TECHs at 31+ will be visible to others as 21+.
If we're lucky, they may change it sometime down the road so that update won't even get near us. (we're far far away from their schedule anyways)

MaRayearth
Jun 26, 2008, 10:00 AM
http://tinyurl.com/69rypo

this is where apparently this has been announced...

(personally Iīve no idea what that site is...anyone care to enlighten me?)

EspioKaos
Jun 26, 2008, 10:04 AM
http://tinyurl.com/69rypo

this is where apparently this has been announced...

(personally Iīve no idea what that site is...anyone care to enlighten me?)

Translation of the announcement here (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145308).

Magician
Jun 26, 2008, 10:12 AM
Translation of the announcement here (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145308).

Ah, ok cool, I was worried for a second there. It makes sense, lowering the tech animations, having a party of six masterforces all casting dambarta would probably cause my X360 to explode.

MaRayearth
Jun 26, 2008, 10:52 AM

so this shit is true, confirmed, etc...

okay, I thatīs what I needed to know.

R2D6battlebot
Jun 26, 2008, 10:58 AM
I have mixed feelings about this. I think it's cool because it will drastically reduce the slowdown caused by the big kabooms, but I think that one of the two following should be what determines it:
1. It should be an option, so you can ask someone in the party to turn off their tech graphics.
2. If it's not an option, then I think it should only apply to the Ra- techs. For the most part, I only get mega slowdown from these.
I think it's pretty uncool that people spend so much time leveling up a spell (Megid is probably the best example) but people cant even see their work. But at the same time, it's kind of like justice for all of the gunners out there, because their work is never really shown. But even fighters still get that color change nonsense, so I dont know what to think @_@

Cracka_J
Jun 26, 2008, 11:20 AM
1. It should be an option, so you can ask someone in the party to turn off their tech graphics.

o god no.

the option should be per individual player, not determined by the tech caster. if people don't want to see the techs, that's fine. on pc we have a set of visual options that we can adjust to personal liking, it should just be added to that.

I just would never want to see "toggle off techs or boot" for party comments. The option you suggested would force some players to do that.

TecherRamen
Jun 26, 2008, 11:56 AM
I wonder if the graphic for a spell will be exactly the same. So that a 41 rafoie will be a 21 rafoie only enlarged to give some indication that its not a low level.

I agree with Cracka_J as well, It should be an option for the individual player to turn the high level graphics off. I know many people, as well as myself, who enjoy watching the high level spell effects of others.

It would even make more sense if sega would have a simplified version of a high level spell, one without all the visual bells and whistles as it were.

For example gifoie 31 has 2 main components, there is the sort of swirling wind that surounds the techer and then the wave that spreads out on the ground. It would be convenient to remove on of these components rather than nerfing the entire visual spectacle.

Libram
Jun 26, 2008, 12:24 PM
It wouldn't matter even if it was shown with the smaller range of a Tier 3 TECH. The damage calculations and AOE are determined by what the client tells the server. The Tier 4 and up TECHS will still appear the same client side, so the proper info will be sent. You'll still have massive nuking power and range, it's just that no one else will see it.

nightlights
Jun 26, 2008, 12:45 PM
thats just for the ps2 / pc servers though right?

not xbox 360?

Magical Trevor
Jun 26, 2008, 12:59 PM
But i enjoy laggin the FF's... gives me something to smile about instead of feeling gimped compared to them XD.

Abashi76
Jun 26, 2008, 01:47 PM
What they mean is, only the user will see the graphics of 31+ techs. I am totally against the idea, but it was probably because PS2 users had a hard time viewing them. I think they should just get rid of the graphics for PS2 users, instead of downplaying the experiences of those who can handle better graphics than this game has to offer.

Though since the JP almost entirely use PS2, while lot of us use PC; it may never reach here > thats what I'm hoping.

Edgard
Jun 26, 2008, 02:41 PM
Well, I can see the advantages of this update. But, does this mean some people (speacially new players) will never get to see lv 31 or 41+ techs? So now they have to level their own techs in order to see an awesome razonde lv 41?

This update is a double edged sword.... I like sowing off techs, but with this update it kinda defeats the purpose of having techs. Well I just hope the people stop asking techers to stop using rafoei.

TecherRamen
Jun 26, 2008, 03:42 PM
Ill reiterate it. the best solution is to allow players to choose whether this 'tone down' option is on or off.

Weeaboolits
Jun 26, 2008, 03:53 PM
I don't understand why people get so upset, on PS2 the performance is terrible, even without level 31+ techs flying around you get lag quite often.

I really only need to see my own looking pretty, I don't need huge explosions of death filling my screen while I'm meleeing.

Elley
Jun 26, 2008, 04:10 PM
Thank your s**ty PS2s people. That system needs to be dead and buried already...

Abashi76
Jun 26, 2008, 04:11 PM
I don't understand why people get so upset, on PS2 the performance is terrible, even without level 31+ techs flying around you get lag quite often.

I really only need to see my own looking pretty, I don't need huge explosions of death filling my screen while I'm meleeing.

Thats the thing, because of that, PC users will have their game toned down. Not being able to see lvl 31+ techs would be a significant downfall, since not everybody is going to be leveling every technique beyond level 40. Why don't they just get rid of the flashes for the PS2 version, or just let it lag terribly ...

EDIT: If your a PS2 player, just boot the FTs that use them and play in different parties at higher levels.

MSAksion
Jun 26, 2008, 04:25 PM
For PC users it should be a Graphical OPTION not a Forced thing.

Us PC users LOVE graphical upgrades and options - thats why we spent a lot of money on PC components. But to be told that we wasted our money - that we should have just bought the PS2 version since thats what the graphics of PSU amount to...

Again for PC users - it should be an OPTION to reduce graphics.

Weeaboolits
Jun 26, 2008, 05:34 PM
Thats the thing, because of that, PC users will have their game toned down. Not being able to see lvl 31+ techs would be a significant downfall, since not everybody is going to be leveling every technique beyond level 40. Why don't they just get rid of the flashes for the PS2 version, or just let it lag terribly ...

EDIT: If your a PS2 player, just boot the FTs that use them and play in different parties at higher levels.I'm not gonna kick people for having decently leveled techs, that would be stupid.

I do agree it should be optional on PC, though.

To be honest though, this game should perform a lot better, I'd like to see another expansion with some code optimization to improve the performance, I've seen better looking games handle more happening at once with better AI without problems, it shouldn't be this bad.

unicorn
Jun 26, 2008, 05:43 PM
Biased people blaming the PS2 when PSU was always intended for the PS2. Phantasy Star (online) was the first console ORPG and will end as a console ORPG.

I think both PC and PS2 users (so far people have mentioned only PC getting this) should get an option to view higher tier techs.

And I play on PC mostly.

Midicronica
Jun 26, 2008, 06:01 PM
The 360 also suffers some slow down when there is a FT in the party blowing shit up with their technics. Shit, it's even worse if there is 2 or 3.

I have no qualms about this update, to be honest. If there's one less thing slowing down my game that's fine with me. The 31+ and 41+ (from what I've seen) are nice and all but I won't die from not seeing them.

Yusaku_Kudou
Jun 26, 2008, 06:02 PM
I don't even want to see the techs, really.

desturel
Jun 26, 2008, 06:07 PM
The 360 also suffers some slow down when there is a FT in the party blowing shit up with their technics. Shit, it's even worse if there is 2 or 3.

On the 360, things slow down when there's a nanoblast on the screen. Things also slow down with certain SUV like Sturm Buster. Ever tried running Egg Thieves? Tons of slowdown there too. All over the map actually. There's also slow down in The Black Nest and Seal of the Dark God. Oh wait a second, level 21 techs slow down the system just as much as level 31 techs.

So that means this update would do nothing for the 360. It would be better if they didn't churn out a half-assed port and actually coded the game properly. In other words fix Grove of Fanatics and Sacred Stream (among others) FIRST.

Weeaboolits
Jun 26, 2008, 06:13 PM
Why do people keep bringing up nano? The blast effect last for maybe 3 seconds and can't even be done successively, unlike techs which would be spammed continuously the entire run.

desturel
Jun 27, 2008, 12:30 AM
Why do people keep bringing up nano?

The point is, on the 360 even level 21 techs can cause slowdown. As much slowdown as level 31 techs. And yes, nano does cause slowdown on other players screen as well as blinding effects when people blast. None of this was a problem pre-expansion (well, the blinding people was, but is a minor complaint) meaning it was due to a rushed port job on the expansion. The real fix is to properly code the game.

For someone on the 360 to say "yes, reducing techs to level 21 visuals will help lots" is silly since level 21 techs will still cause slowdown. Net gain of zero. They would need to nerf the techs back to level 11 graphics. Or heck, why not level 1 graphics. That way people can't even complain about dambarta blocking up the screen

MaRayearth
Jun 27, 2008, 01:23 AM
hopefully JP players won't tolerate this and move to Monster Hunter

(that way there'd be a slight chance of Segac taking this shit back...)

Weeaboolits
Jun 27, 2008, 01:50 AM
The point is, on the 360 even level 21 techs can cause slowdown. As much slowdown as level 31 techs. And yes, nano does cause slowdown on other players screen as well as blinding effects when people blast. None of this was a problem pre-expansion (well, the blinding people was, but is a minor complaint) meaning it was due to a rushed port job on the expansion. The real fix is to properly code the game.

For someone on the 360 to say "yes, reducing techs to level 21 visuals will help lots" is silly since level 21 techs will still cause slowdown. Net gain of zero. They would need to nerf the techs back to level 11 graphics. Or heck, why not level 1 graphics. That way people can't even complain about dambarta blocking up the screen
The blast effect last for maybe 3 seconds and can't even be done successively, unlike techs which would be spammed continuously the entire run.I do agree, though, that the code needs fixing, but that can hardly be done in our small patch file, we'd need a new game disc.

Ogni-XR21
Jun 27, 2008, 03:54 AM
At first I got the impression that everyones techs animations would be toned down and I was like "WTF" but then I found out that mine will still be the same in my game and I was like "Phewww".

I think that's ok, and if it make the PS2 players play with less slowdown it will be for a good cause... of course a little part of me is thinking "now people won't see my hard leveled techs" but in the end it really doesn't matter what the techs look like as long as they deal the same damage. Ideal would be for players to be able to toggle the graphics the way they like.

I for one would love to be able to toggle techs animations individually, so I could use Dambarta with the lvl 11+ animation (I think it looked much better at that stage).

shadowsniper6
Jun 27, 2008, 04:07 AM
On the 360, things slow down when there's a nanoblast on the screen. Things also slow down with certain SUV like Sturm Buster. Ever tried running Egg Thieves? Tons of slowdown there too. All over the map actually. There's also slow down in The Black Nest and Seal of the Dark God. Oh wait a second, level 21 techs slow down the system just as much as level 31 techs.

So that means this update would do nothing for the 360. It would be better if they didn't churn out a half-assed port and actually coded the game properly. In other words fix Grove of Fanatics and Sacred Stream (among others) FIRST.

..i play on the 360 and i don't get lag on any of them maps i don't get lag using any SUV (i only get lag when my brother uploads a million pictures to myspace ...)

Poncho_Jr
Jun 27, 2008, 09:33 AM
Oh Hell no. The only reason for being a techer is to support the party with a brilliant Pseudo-Fourth of July.... erm, fireworks display. If this ever happens. Then Guntecher I shall stay. If no one else can see them, then it really won't be as much fun anymore. Sure the Statuses and Range will still be there. But the "wow" factor certainly will be not.

MelanyKoura
Jun 27, 2008, 02:29 PM
Or just force this upon the console players and leave the PC players alone. <.<;

I mean, IMO, I think this is happening because (mainly) the PS2 can't handle the graphics that well. How much video memory does it have? Like, 5 meg? Correct that if I'm wrong because I REALLY can't remember.... Plus I've heard 360 players also have a bit of a problem with this sort of thing.

But yeah, this should be a console only patch. Maybe they won't lag so much then.

But eh, just my 2 cents on it.

autumn
Jun 27, 2008, 02:48 PM
Reiterating other peoples points, PSU is mostly a PS2 game. I know there are loads of people who are proud of the money they've spent on a decent computer or a 360, but the game was not originally intended for those systems. Rather then continuously bash the PS2, wonder why a game designed for that particular system lags like hell on the PS2. I think rather then boot the system steps should be taken, REAL steps to ensure that this game runs properly. I personally don't believe that putting the NERF stamp on TECHs is going to do as much as Sega would like because my level 21 rafoie animation lags my friends as much as anything higher would.