PDA

View Full Version : Good Free Games.

EphekZ
Jun 26, 2008, 10:15 PM
I think it'd be a good idea to list some of the good quality free games in this thread. Mainly for me, since I don't own any consoles and PSU is boring, nor do I have the money to spend on other games etc.

Post!

Sgt_Shligger
Jun 26, 2008, 10:26 PM
Me and Vanhalen play Shattered Galaxy. Think of it as Starcraft with an RPG-twist. It takes away the ability to build bases in favor of allowing you to customize your units greatly.

OKO
Jun 26, 2008, 10:30 PM
Some titles you have to wait for...some you don't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Atg6FaWZad4&feature=user
S4 League

Imagine all the potential GUNZ had put into one neat little package, and you get this game. No crazy style to learn, no overly abused glitches...Just straight up fun. I play Korean version currently.
Closed Beta this August

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OJjuMRvFog
RF Online
Used to be P2P but just recently went F2P. It's a great little free MMO that provides some very intense PVP combat, but be warned! Computer specs, while not entirely in need of an upgrade will chug down when you get into huge battles like this! Unfortunately...or fortunately, this happens all the time!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gofc761pEA
Project Powder
Who thought a snowboarding MMO could actually be fun? Just tried the game tonight and I have to say I'm impressed. It's in closed beta, but if you simply make an account on the site, you can just join within seconds. Haven't played too much to know about it, but what I have played is good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p29MKDisthg
Drift City
The game that once took FKL by storm, Drift City is also an odd MMO idea, in which you drive a car around a free roam environment, taking on missions. You can also enter into some rather cool races, but balance is an issue. Other than that, the game is damn good fun.

sprky585
Jun 26, 2008, 10:54 PM
travian.us

enjoy

TalHex
Jun 26, 2008, 10:57 PM
Dream
Of
Mirror

yay for cell shaded mmorpgs!

OKO
Jun 26, 2008, 10:58 PM
I've really been wanting to try that out but haven't found the time. How is it?

TalHex
Jun 26, 2008, 11:02 PM
its pretty good for a free mmo, bosses are frustratingly tough and it takes awhile to lvl but its pretty good, the music is excellent, and the community is pretty friendly (unlike runescape's *shudders*) it even has a story mode in it XD

OKO
Jun 26, 2008, 11:03 PM
That's good to hear. Almost sounds like a cell shaded FFXI.

Those were some fun days....just really hard to level, D:

Sgt_Shligger
Jun 26, 2008, 11:03 PM
DO NOT PLAY S4 LEAGUE. Me and Tact tried it. Imagine Gunz if you got shot at from across the map. And got killed in one shot. Also imagine Gunz if there was an unbalanced array of weaponry thrown in with shittier platforming.

TalHex
Jun 26, 2008, 11:07 PM
That's good to hear. Almost sounds like a cell shaded FFXI.

Those were some fun days....just really hard to level, D:

yeah its not very bad lvling till around lvl 15, then it takes an eternity, nice thing abot it is there are a lot of classes and weapons and your allowed to change class any time, you also get to have a secondary class. some of the buffs you can get in there though are incredible

OKO
Jun 26, 2008, 11:10 PM
DO NOT PLAY S4 LEAGUE. Me and Tact tried it. Imagine Gunz if you got shot at from across the map. And got killed in one shot. Also imagine Gunz if there was an unbalanced array of weaponry thrown in with shittier platforming.

Lmao, well I had fun with the game. Not hard to avoid those blasts, XD.

The Weaponry? Hmm....

See, I'm trying to see if that's true or not. I've had no problems so far. Oh well, it would've been cool to play with you guys, :D.

Perhaps we'll re-install Drift City sometime? That is if your not level kajillion at this point, Shligger.

Sgt_Shligger
Jun 27, 2008, 02:33 AM
Level 46 or something.

Nitro Vordex
Jun 27, 2008, 02:46 AM
I'd love to play Drift City with you guys. I still have fun with that game.

When I don't frikin' lag -_-

Sgt_Shligger
Jun 27, 2008, 03:01 AM
Lmao, well I had fun with the game. Not hard to avoid those blasts, XD.

The Weaponry? Hmm....

See, I'm trying to see if that's true or not. I've had no problems so far. Oh well, it would've been cool to play with you guys, :D.

Perhaps we'll re-install Drift City sometime? That is if your not level kajillion at this point, Shligger.

The point isn't that I can't dodge it. It's the fact half the enemy team is sniping. The game just isn't that fun.

Weeaboolits
Jun 27, 2008, 03:01 AM
I had fun with GunZ, the dagger is the best weapon ever, I used it to kill grenadiers. :>

Nitro Vordex
Jun 27, 2008, 03:33 AM
In the other thread in Off Topic...

I played the Torus Trooper game.

I had 20 joygasms.
In a row.

At the same time.

It would make Xtreme-g shit itself.

Such an awesome game, though simple, still addicting.(Boy that sounds familiar :wacko: )

Chuck_Norris
Jun 27, 2008, 04:16 AM
So, what are you mainstreme-FKLers playing currently?

Nitro Vordex
Jun 27, 2008, 04:17 AM
FKL doesn't have a game currently. It's on and off PSOBB and that's about it. >_>

Chuck_Norris
Jun 27, 2008, 04:23 AM
D; So, what's Gunz about? Tipical turn based RPG only with guns?

Nitro Vordex
Jun 27, 2008, 04:35 AM
Hoo boy. No way.

Actiony shooter. 3rd person.

You know what, here, check it out yourself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV8a0JUlfnw

It gets annoying, because of the people taking advantage of the frame cancel in the game, and have the balls to call it legit. :disapprove:

Protip: Wanna piss off a K-Styler? Mow 'em down with an automatic; that's their weakness. Don't spray though, aim right at them, much more efficient.

W0LB0T
Jun 27, 2008, 05:00 AM
If your looking for something that isn't a free online game may i suggest:

Vrazda: http://pivostudios.hustej.net/
one of them kill heaps of re spawning dudes on one screen game( like Geometry wars)
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p106/W0LB0T/th_Nutkill3withspoilers.jpg (http://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p106/W0LB0T/?action=view&current=Nutkill3withspoilers.flv)

Phun
not realy a game but a Physics sandbox. a whole lotta fun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0wDfhi9Cks
multihero
A smash bros. clone, using people from other games.
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p106/W0LB0T/th_bigfight_0001.jpg (http://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p106/W0LB0T/?action=view&current=bigfight_0001.flv)

Retniwreven
Jun 27, 2008, 05:05 AM
For a given value of 'free' one can enjoy Mabinogi.
But you have to pay for the better stuff. =X

OKO
Jun 27, 2008, 11:30 AM
For a given value of 'free' one can enjoy Mabinogi.
But you have to pay for the better stuff. =X

Yeah, Mabinogi is damn cool. I remember playing the TW version with alot of people and had damn good fun...

Still, I say wait for S4 League.

and what the hell games did you join, Shligger? That barely happens in the pro rooms, D:

In fact, I'd have to say my complaint is those GOD DANGED GRENADE LAUNCHERS!

Retniwreven
Jun 27, 2008, 04:10 PM
Yeah, Mabinogi is damn cool. I remember playing the TW version with alot of people and had damn good fun...

Heh, I've been chronicling my adventures on Mabi in the 'Cats... Baby!' thread, or whatever we've titled it now. =X

Tact
Jun 27, 2008, 04:29 PM
Still, I say wait for S4 League.

I stopped because snipers are able to be such pansies in that game.

Chuck_Norris
Jun 27, 2008, 04:47 PM
Wow, Gunz looks cool. How much space does it roughly take? ;o

Chuck_Norris
Jun 27, 2008, 07:41 PM
Bump because I wanna know. :disapprove:

Nitro Vordex
Jun 27, 2008, 07:47 PM
Here's the link, nub:

http://gunz.ijji.com/

i'll join you. ;3

Chuck_Norris
Jun 27, 2008, 07:58 PM
Anything I should know before going online?

Chuck_Norris
Jun 27, 2008, 08:00 PM
Oh, and which site on the list should I get it from? MMOsite.com, PlayWhat, Xfire, or MMOfury?

Nitro Vordex
Jun 27, 2008, 08:02 PM
Doesn't matter where you DL the client.

Things you should know, huh...

1)Go to player matches in Free Channel until hit about 10.
2)Quests ARE your friend. DO NO DO THE DUNGEON/CAVE ONE SOLO. Only do the mansion. If you do the Dungeon/Cave, by all means have a party, preferrably a full party.

Anything else, just ask me. Post when you get on, I'll join you. :)

Chuck_Norris
Jun 27, 2008, 08:03 PM
Will do. Gonna download now.

Nitro Vordex
Jun 27, 2008, 08:05 PM
Quick rundown of controls:

WASD movement, mouse aiming/firing, Left does gun/sword, right does special for blade weapons(sword/dagger).

Space is to type.

Chuck_Norris
Jun 27, 2008, 08:08 PM
Does it support controllers?

Nitro Vordex
Jun 27, 2008, 08:10 PM
As far as I know, no. Trust me, mouse and keyboard would be WAY better for this.

Does anyone wanna join us? :wacko:

Chuck_Norris
Jun 27, 2008, 08:18 PM
Should take about 20 minutes to download. :disapprove:

Nitro Vordex
Jun 27, 2008, 08:22 PM
Yeah, try DL'ing on dial up. *sniffle*

It would've taken 3 days. Good thing I stole my friends Broadband connection. :wacko:

Chuck_Norris
Jun 27, 2008, 08:25 PM
Lawl, 3 days.

Does the way I make my character effect the gameplay in any way?

Nitro Vordex
Jun 27, 2008, 08:26 PM
WOMEN CANCEL FRAMES FASTER OLOLOLO

*ahem* No, not particularly. It might change what few reskins things you can equip. Mind you, the customization on characters(body face hair those kind of thigs) are pretty limited. As in like, maybe 5 hairstyles. >_>

Chuck_Norris
Jun 27, 2008, 08:28 PM
Everyone's the same race, right?

And wat do joo meen bi cancel fraemz fastor? ;o

Chuck_Norris
Jun 27, 2008, 08:54 PM
So uhh...I downloaded it and when I click it it just takes me to the link you posted, Nitro? :-?

Chuck_Norris
Jun 27, 2008, 09:07 PM
Ah, never mind. I got it working. I'm online now! ;D

Nitro Vordex
Jun 27, 2008, 09:20 PM
Sorry Chuck, I was busy. :clown:

If you're still on, I'll meet up with you. ;o

Chuck_Norris
Jun 27, 2008, 09:29 PM
Yeah, I'm still here. But when I joined a game, I couldn't move. I was in a first person view and could only look around. What'd i do wrong? D:

Nitro Vordex
Jun 27, 2008, 09:33 PM
There's a first person view? o.o

Check your controls on the menu.

Since you were asking me about controllers earlier, make sure you don't have any plugged in. Ijji doesn't like controllers very much. >>

Chuck_Norris
Jun 27, 2008, 09:33 PM
Well, where should we meet up then?

Nitro Vordex
Jun 27, 2008, 09:37 PM
Uhm...

Go to Free Channel 1, make a game called RAGE, and set pass to 42.

IF ANYONE WANTS TO JOIN, YOU CAN.

*Shameless advertise*

Chuck_Norris
Jun 27, 2008, 09:38 PM
Ok, got it.
...It'll probably take a while. Gotta figure out how first. :disapprove:

TalHex
Jun 27, 2008, 09:39 PM
i doubt highly that i'll be joining, i hated gunz...

Nitro Vordex
Jun 27, 2008, 09:40 PM
Ok, got it.
...It'll probably take a while. Gotta figure out how first. :disapprove:

The Create Game button newbie. :)

Chuck_Norris
Jun 27, 2008, 09:49 PM
Free Channel 1 is full. Go to 2. Also, is there a window mode? :disapprove:

Nitro Vordex
Jun 27, 2008, 09:55 PM
No windowed mode. :(

Well, my computer decided it didn't want to render everything. T_T So, now I gotta screw with it a bit.

...*facepalm* Chuck, which server are you on?

Chuck_Norris
Jun 27, 2008, 10:08 PM
Well, I tried getting on Quest 1, but it was full. Can we pick an offical server that usually has a spot?

Chuck_Norris
Jun 27, 2008, 10:09 PM
Also, are the classes well balanced? If so, is the one with the dual machine guns and the katana any good?

Chuck_Norris
Jun 27, 2008, 10:21 PM
Well, anyway. I'll try my luck at playing with others. I'll be in either Quest 1 or Quest 2. I'll check this topic after I'm done. :wacko:

Nitro Vordex
Jun 27, 2008, 10:35 PM
Also, are the classes well balanced? If so, is the one with the dual machine guns and the katana any good?

There are no classes. This isn't an RPG. It's an action shooter.

Sorry Chuck, I'm having problems IRL right now, i'll join you if need be.

Also, post your name dude.

Chuck_Norris
Jun 27, 2008, 10:48 PM
Name is "Athena123"

I had a weird problem. :disapprove:
No one moves when I join a game, and they have some message over their head. Looks like a red circle with a line through it and a heart monotor symbol. You know, when to shows your pulse?

OKO
Jun 27, 2008, 10:49 PM
Ew.

GUNZ.

lol...

108425 HESUSCHRISTO 30 1,892,494 3237/1630 (66.51%)
156370 Tyson03 25 1,099,999 2306/1291 (64.11%)
614533 BLARGHERN 12 105,575 328/137 (70.54%)

Wut?

Nitro Vordex
Jun 27, 2008, 10:51 PM
Name is "Athena123"

I had a weird problem. :disapprove:
No one moves when I join a game, and they have some message over their head. Looks like a red circle with a line through it and a heart monotor symbol. You know, when to shows your pulse?

That's the sign telling you you're lagging dude. If you got something else running using a lot of you internet(eg. another game, Browser w/high resources etc.) close it.

Also, make sure your firewall isn't blocking GunZ. Same with antivirus.

Chuck_Norris
Jun 28, 2008, 02:15 AM
Well, just got back. That was fun. :wacko:

No one seemed to use the chat option though. :disapprove:

Nitro Vordex
Jun 28, 2008, 02:51 AM
Which server were you on? I was on for like 3 hours >:U

Chuck_Norris
Jun 28, 2008, 02:57 AM
I jumpped around the servers a while. Wanna still meet up?

VanHalen
Jun 28, 2008, 03:01 AM
Well, just got back. That was fun. :wacko:

No one seemed to use the chat option though. :disapprove:

Its fun until everyone calls you a noob for everything.

Kill them with a gun: "Gun noob"
Kill them with a melee weapon: "Sword/dagger noob"
Kill them with a rocket: "Rocket noob"
Dodge: "Dodging noob"
Wall run: "Wall run noob"
K-style: "OMG FUKKIN NOOB BOOT HIM"

Chuck_Norris
Jun 28, 2008, 03:03 AM
"K-Style"?

Nitro Vordex
Jun 28, 2008, 03:04 AM
Its fun until everyone calls you a noob for everything.

Kill them with an automatic gun: "Spray noob"
Kill them with a melee weapon: "Sword/dagger noob"
Kill them with a rocket: "Noob LAUNCHER :D"
Dodge: "Dodging noob"
Wall run: "Wall run noob"
K-style: "Welcome brother"

fix'd for accuracy.

And yes Chuck, meet on Quest 3, Free Channel 1.

Nitro Vordex
Jun 28, 2008, 03:06 AM
This is K-Styling in a nutshell.
YOU JUST GOT WIKI'D

Korean-Style

StrategyWiki has more information about GunZ The Duel Korean-Style Techniques

"Korean-Style," or commonly known as "K-Style," is a style of playing in GunZ that was introduced by the Korean GunZ community. It is based on animation and gameplay glitches and is a form of emergent gameplay. Like in several fighting games such as Street Fighter, canceling certain character animations or doing two actions at the same time in a sequence can create complex combo moves. However, since it's based on several programming oversights, people using the style were commonly considered to be cheating and bug abuse, but it was never forbidden in any of the versions. In fact, it was featured in the official 2005 trailer released on the official GunZ website.[1] At the core of K-Style is the usage of these animation cancels. K-Stylers most commonly use swords due to its weight to damage ratio advantage over kodachis, however both are equally usable.

VanHalen
Jun 28, 2008, 03:06 AM
"K-Style"?

If I told you how to do it, I'd have to kill you after. Though I'd probably won't play again I guess I can. It's a glitch abuse move that you'll have to learn if you want to compete at level 15+ games.

EDIT: Nitro beat me to it.

Nitro Vordex
Jun 28, 2008, 03:13 AM
Automatics are your friends in those cases.

Let them bitch and BAW, they just know they fail by abusing glitches.

VanHalen
Jun 28, 2008, 03:20 AM
fix'd for accuracy.

And yes Chuck, meet on Quest 3, Free Channel 1.

Indeed I forgot about the 'spray' part.

I named my rocket launcher 'Quote Cannon'. It was shitty against high level people D:. They basically took no damage from it.

Chuck_Norris
Jun 28, 2008, 03:40 AM
Well, I made a game before. I'm guessing you were Kitsune. Why'd ya leave? And why didn't you answer when I said something? :disapprove:

Nitro Vordex
Jun 28, 2008, 03:44 AM
Wtf are you talking about? :disapprove:

I was NitroVortox. >_> And I talked to you. >_______>;

Looks like Tal couldn't help himself. >>

I can't get the graphics to work for some reason; everything in 3d was gray and white. I don't feel like messing with it, and I have something to do tomorrow. So, sorry Chuck, I have to go sleep. D:

Sorry. :(

Chuck_Norris
Jun 28, 2008, 03:45 AM
I didn't see any message from you. :disapprove:

Chuck_Norris
Jun 28, 2008, 03:51 AM
Well, guess he got off. Will you play with me, Van? D:

VanHalen
Jun 28, 2008, 04:08 AM
Heh, I don't play Gunz anymore :wacko:

Chuck_Norris
Jun 28, 2008, 04:13 AM
Oh. :disapprove:

Can you give me your weapons then?(If that's even possible) :wacko:

Also, can you tell me why I can't see people's text in-game? :disapprove:

Nitro Vordex
Jun 28, 2008, 01:17 PM
Chuck, what da heck is wrong with your client? D:

Oh! Go into your options screen and check around for something that's for your text. I tried to whisper you, but it said you don't accept whispers. o_O

What the hell did you do...?

Chuck_Norris
Jun 28, 2008, 01:40 PM
I must of changed something on there. :disapprove:
Well, I stopped playing. Realizing after getting owned so much, I'd rather not have to glitch to be good at a game >>

Nitro Vordex
Jun 28, 2008, 01:59 PM
Just jump around and shoot.

I've made my own style sorta. It's called "Fuck glitches, I'll hit you with whatever I want" style.

:wacko:

Chuck_Norris
Jun 28, 2008, 03:57 PM
I'd really rather use a controller. I'm not used to keyboard and mouse. :disapprove:

Nitro Vordex
Jun 28, 2008, 04:01 PM
You'd get pwnt with a controller. >>

You could play Drift City with a controller; just have to get Joy2Key (http://www.electracode.com/4/joy2key/JoyToKey%20English%20Version.htm). You can use it for other stuff too. If you really want to, I suppose you could map the controls for GunZ onto a controller.

Sgt_Shligger
Jun 28, 2008, 07:32 PM
Play with a keyboard and mouse like a man. Don't puss out. You won't get anything done EVER with a control pad.

Drift City has fine controls. There's really no need for a control pad but it would work just as well.

Nitro Vordex
Jun 28, 2008, 08:30 PM
My computer doesn't like it when I use a controller for Drift City anyways. >_>

Also, it's been lagging way more than usual. Which is very frickin' annoying at high speeds. :rant:

Chuck_Norris
Jun 28, 2008, 09:18 PM
Play with a keyboard and mouse like a man. Don't puss out. You won't get anything done EVER with a control pad.

Drift City has fine controls. There's really no need for a control pad but it would work just as well.

I happen to prefer a controller. You can't aim right with a mouse. :disapprove:

Nitro Vordex
Jun 28, 2008, 09:27 PM
You can't aim right with a mouse. :disapprove:
wat

You can aim better with a mouse; easier to postion.

Sgt_Shligger
Jun 28, 2008, 09:37 PM
I happen to prefer a controller. You can't aim right with a mouse. :disapprove:

Are you some kind of girl scout? Seriously, a mouse is better then an analog stick for aiming. You clearly don't have enough practice in to realize this.

Look, certain games can use controllers. Certain games cant. If you ever dared touch a controller on any PC shooting game you'd be so utterly fucked it wouldn't even be funny. There's a reason PC shooters don't allow (by default) controller integration. They know the mouse and keyboard are far superior.

*EDIT* To comment on that I RRRAGE at those who use control pads PC games.

TalHex
Jun 28, 2008, 09:47 PM
you know maybe a mouse/joystick combo would work best, cuz WASD movement isn't exactly the best. you could assign movement to the joystick, while the mouse could still be used for camera/aiming shooting

Nitro Vordex
Jun 28, 2008, 10:01 PM
But then you're divided by two "controllers". <_>

The WASD is easy, because it's simple. Plus, GunZ is full forward run or don't, unless you tap it. Which would probably result in a dash/roll anyways.

O hay, you can barrel roll in GunZ. :wacko:

Sgt_Shligger
Jun 28, 2008, 10:04 PM
Why the fuck would you need analog movement in fucking Gunz. The game is fast paced. I DON'T NEED TO WALK OR SNEAK UP.

TalHex
Jun 28, 2008, 10:04 PM
hmm it seems like that would be easier... ah well it can't be worse then this combo airplane yoke/keyboard, ugh i hate doing that, but i have to for aerospace class...

Nitro Vordex
Jun 28, 2008, 10:20 PM
I DON'T NEED TO WALK OR SNEAK UP.
Unless you want to suprise them from behind. :clown:

Yeah right. The third person camera could should a football field. >_>