PDA

View Full Version : What Does PSU do Right Over PSO?

deso123
Jul 2, 2008, 05:54 PM
List all the things that PSU has over PSO. This is for scientific research on whether or not to buy a psp and psp so i can play psp on a psp...

Dragwind
Jul 2, 2008, 06:01 PM
There cannot be any "scientific research," but you will get varied opinions both good and bad.

For starters, you'll want to read up on what's known about the game through these links:

PSUp's PSP page (http://psupedia.info/PSP:Phantasy_Star_Portable)

Read through this page, and stay updated for future announcements-

New Phantasy Star Portable information! (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144333)

zandra117
Jul 2, 2008, 06:28 PM
PSU has nothing on PSO, however PSP is perfect for PSP and will be a good game. Mainly because they tossed away the things we hated most about PSU and compensated it with the good stuff from PSO. PSP is seemingly a PSU/PSO hybrid gameplay wise.

chaoskila
Jul 2, 2008, 06:38 PM
pso has mags.
thats all i can thnk of.

AlliThePally
Jul 2, 2008, 07:04 PM
The only things I like more about PSU is that you can be any class at anytime, and the PA system however, I liked everything else a lot more in PSO. But PSU is still fun to play

Ken_Silver
Jul 2, 2008, 07:10 PM
PSU allows you to do the following over PSO:

More than 4 stages and bosses
Better Character Customization
More flushed out story with more developed characters and such (Opinion of Sorts)
Better Graphics
Not bound to class-by-race
Can find all types of rares evenly, unlike the PSO ID system
A better game engine

If I get more, I'll post them here.

Nitro Vordex
Jul 2, 2008, 07:21 PM

More than 4 stages and bossesApparently no one knows that though. :roll:

Better Character Customization That's true.

More flushed out story with more developed characters and such (Opinion of Sorts) Give you that as well.

Better Graphics At what price though? At what price?...:wacko:

Not bound to class-by-race Well, races and classes are mix and match. Different races will evolve differently on the same class. Eg. Beast and Human Foretefighter.

Can find all types of rares evenly, unlike the PSO ID systemI thought there was luck for different races? Wait, that's unrelated. :wacko:

A better game engine I lol'd.

RemiusTA
Jul 2, 2008, 07:27 PM
PSU has nothing on PSO, however PSP is perfect for PSP and will be a good game. Mainly because they tossed away the things we hated most about PSU and compensated it with the good stuff from PSO. PSP is seemingly a PSU/PSO hybrid gameplay wise.

COUGHbullshitCOUGH

PSU technically does absolutely everything better than PSO did.

If you think you want PSP, then get it. Just dont expect to play PSO Episode 5, becuase they are not as similar in gameplay systematics as you think.

The reason i believe PSP will be superior to this PSU (at least in USA / EU ) is the fact that aside from releasing the game, there is nothing else SEGA can do to fuck it up. (like break the billing servers, put 7 month delays on content, completely fuck over your events...you know, shit like that.)

If USA/EU PSU was identical to the JP PSU, then this game would be one hundered thousand times better than PSO.

However, it isnt.

Edit: but technically, yes. PSU's engine runs circles around PSO's retarded Targeting system void of any collision checks. If you were a Ranger or a Hunter in PSO, the PSO-PSU swich will be great. It'll be great for forces too, but only after you get your technics past level 11.

Ken_Silver
Jul 2, 2008, 07:31 PM
Apparently no one knows that though. :roll:
That's true.
Give you that as well.
At what price though? At what price?...:wacko:
Well, races and classes are mix and match. Different races will evolve differently on the same class. Eg. Beast and Human Foretefighter.
I thought there was luck for different races? Wait, that's unrelated. :wacko:
I lol'd.

The first bolded: You got a point. But the price to pay is not that bad...

Second bolded: Oof. Forgot about the luck system. But its a small improvement over the ID system. I ended up being a Hunter with a Force-suited ID (Pinkal.) I'll never forgive PSO for that. :razz:

To the last one: we can strife now and we also got first person shooting. Not to mention that we don't have to time our attacks now. It's an improvement. Even if not a big one. Right? :confused:

P.S: LOL'd at your sig. :D

Xieveral
Jul 2, 2008, 08:24 PM
Having played PSU before PSO (started during MA:G) this is what I think PSU has over PSO. None of it is really important stuff (except lock-on targeting & class change option) but still nice to have :3

Character customization
Clothes
Ability to change class
Lock-on targeting
Rooms
Wide variety of lobbies

Other than that I actually preferred PSO

SStrikerR
Jul 2, 2008, 08:34 PM
COUGHbullshitCOUGH

PSU technically does absolutely everything better than PSO did.

If you think you want PSP, then get it. Just dont expect to play PSO Episode 5, becuase they are not as similar in gameplay systematics as you think.

The reason i believe PSP will be superior to this PSU (at least in USA / EU ) is the fact that aside from releasing the game, there is nothing else SEGA can do to fuck it up. (like break the billing servers, put 7 month delays on content, completely fuck over your events...you know, shit like that.)

If USA/EU PSU was identical to the JP PSU, then this game would be one hundered thousand times better than PSO.

However, it isnt.

Edit: but technically, yes. PSU's engine runs circles around PSO's retarded Targeting system void of any collision checks. If you were a Ranger or a Hunter in PSO, the PSO-PSU swich will be great. It'll be great for forces too, but only after you get your technics past level 11.

First bolded- I love your reasoning and facts there, good job.
Second bolded- Yes well that wasn't completely opinionated or anything.

Chuck_Norris
Jul 2, 2008, 08:40 PM
I can think of two things PSO did better. The hair color system in the character creation(Seriously, you can make every color with those 3 bars. Why did Sega go with this new thing?), and HUnewearl design. :wacko:

haruna
Jul 2, 2008, 08:42 PM
PSU's combat is faster paced. Your character didn't slow to a walk when enemies were near by. You aren't locked on a rail when you start doing a combo either.

Arguably, you have a lot more clothing and character customization to choose from, but they totally failed provide choices that I think most people wanted(like eye patches NOT part of some TERRIBLE looking hat...)

Yes, there is more of a lot of stuff like missions etc. But it goes to show that PSU may be quantity, but PSO is quality.

Adriano
Jul 2, 2008, 08:54 PM
lolwut
"scientific research"

DraginHikari
Jul 2, 2008, 11:42 PM
The character creation system and the general game mechincs improved in my opinion.

Though at the same time, those game mechincs could have been better implimented at the same time.

zandra117
Jul 3, 2008, 12:50 AM
Even though PSU's system allowed more freedom of movement and was faster I consider PSO combat better. PSU allows you to basically button mash your way through a mission. In PSO you had to think about what angle you were attacking the enemy from, how many hits per combo you were going to use (because the enemy could beat you down while you were trying to recover from the 3rd hit of the combo), and you also had to decide if you were going to use the heavy, normal, or extra attack (each had different accuracy and attack speed). Also the inclusion of photon arts sounded fun at first but after the fact I realised that photon arts meant the death for weapon specific extra attacks which would have given weapons more value and would have given unique weapons a more epic feel other than simply appearance and stats.

deso123
Jul 3, 2008, 12:53 AM
Thanks for the info. Even from the one guy who played PSU first and actually liked PSO better. Hardly ever see that even when the previous game is clearly superior.

I liked these changes from the wiki they did seem to have taken out a few things I didnt like from the PSU demo for 360:

# While in a party for wireless multiplayer, if a rare item is collected, it will be distributed to all party members.
# Drop items in a mission will change based on the Guardian type of the party leader.
# Enemies and boxes will drop only weapons, line shields and related items. Also, photon art disks will drop during missions.
# Movement in cities will be changed so that you can select a location to go to from a menu instead of walking there.
# Weapon grinding will be changed to get rid of the chance of failure. However, instead of stats increasing at predetermined values, increases will be random.

Strange how that page doesnt seem to mention that you cant trade rares with others as ive read from other sources.

Still not getting a lot of PSU advantages so i guess im gonna have to watch a lot of gameplay videos. by the way im always a ranger. i never play hunter or elf.

Miyoko
Jul 3, 2008, 01:02 AM
The only thing PSO does better than PSU is more rare weapons. That's it. >_> Other than that, there really isn't anything. Granted, the rares in PSO are SO MUCH BETTER it should be taken with a fair bit of weight.

However, I'm going to have to completely disagree with Zandra: PSO was just as button-mashy. Not once, on any character, did I ever do any other combos than "normal-hard-hard", "normal-special-special", or "normal-hard-special". PSU has far more strategy with PA's than PSO does with combos (however, because things die so fast, a lot of that strategy is moot. Unless you duo/solo, really. :p)

deso123
Jul 3, 2008, 02:08 AM
Yeah I keep watching this:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=K9bL9rApcnY

Pretty sure im gonna get it. I hope i dont have to wait months before they release it to us. I may import it I guess. I never had to import anything before. You guys think theres any chance they will patch it with an online quickmatch or something? I'm just still baffled they dont have an online system.

Zael
Jul 3, 2008, 03:57 AM
Everything.

With one exception: PSO's central hub lobby.

strikershadow
Jul 3, 2008, 07:19 AM
PSO is PSU's little step brother, and everyone knows how that turns out. Either that step brother does really good in the family, OR he is the black sheep.

ANd whether people like to admit it or not the little brother falls way below the "black sheep" of the family... PSU was sent to military school so the family never has to deal with him again... period.

I like a lot about psu. I like the new combat but any noob can get it and theres no skill. I love the new camera options and first person shooting and the targeting system.

I LOVE how the NPC's give you there card and you can group with NPC's that is totally awesome...

PSO was able to make you feel like you were the only "Guardian" and you went to the planet to save the population on the ship. The story line is very heroic and at the end when you fight the last boss its like... you HAVE to just beat his ass into the ground for what he did to red ring rico, and the other survivors. You just have to totally crush him with everything you got... and you dont get that feeling in PSU and I hate it... I feel like my character is like a fucking ant and I always wonder "why doesnt one of the bad ass NPC's just go handle it cause my characters not needed"

the equipment in PSO was awesome... PSU ehh so so...

So pretty much this, if you took some of the aspects of PSU and placed them in PSO and made PSO episode 5 the game would do great...

im not knocking PSU they did great improvements... but wheres the skill and wheres the story line?? i mean come on...

final fantasy 7 is arguably the best rpg, it just won another award for being in the top 5 best rpg's in 2008 and why? cause it had a great story and a real villian. when you got to sephiroth you had to beat his ass for what he did to aerith, for what he did to the planet.

but i still have hope for PSU... lets see what the next expansion brings :D im praying for one of the planets to just blow up LOL THAT would make me raise an eye brow :D

as for PSP, it looks great and also it has the one thing PSU is missing... offline multiplayer... theres nothing like going into a battle with real life friends and seeing there faces as they get there ass handed to them on a platter :D god i miss that

deso123
Jul 3, 2008, 07:40 AM
Yeah. I purely played psobb for the multiplayer. I never play games for the story even though I like to have a good story backing it. im simple minded in that regard. I like to build a powerful character in a cool environment more than anything else and communicate with others. I self consciously purposefully got myself banned from ******** by talking about dupe hax because I was addicted to it even though I had everything. Hopefully in college coming up I can find some people who would be willing to play this with me or i'll be stuck alone with it and using that software to play others from my wireless. i currently dont play pc or console games so i hope companies keep making shitty games so i dont go back to playing them again. It would take a very powerful and innovative game with lots of depth to make me want to play it. Even games like starcraft 2 dont impress me anymore. I've played some really innovative games and if they cant beat those then I'm not gonna bother trying it.

RemiusTA
Jul 3, 2008, 09:54 AM
First bolded- I love your reasoning and facts there, good job.
Second bolded- Yes well that wasn't completely opinionated or anything.

This is a topic of opinions.

And I could easily break it down into terms you couldn't/wouldn't feel like countering, but i dont see the point since ive done this at least 15 times now. Everytime I compare the two and end the conversation, someone always decides to play the "Well i just like PSO better" card and make another dumbass topic about the same thing.

Its going to end with everyone throwing their opinions out, and occasionally stopping to correct someone when they say something stupid, like "PSO's gameplay engine was better than PSU's".

Dont fool yourselves people. There was no skill involved in PSO. If you could survive the hit, you could kill the enemy. If not, get a few HP units. At least in PSU I find myself watching the enemy's animations so i dont get killed.

Edit: And FF7 is so fucking overrrated. It was great, but FFX / FFXII were BOTH such better games than FF7 was. Sure, Sephiroth was cool, but Final Fantasy has had far better villians in the past. And on top of that, FF8, FFX and FFXII all had a FAR FAR FAR better cast of characters and development than FF7 had.

And not to mention, FF8, FF9, FFX, FFX-2, and FFXII ALL had far better battle engines.

Magashi would have been a better final villian if he wasnt the final villian. I think if after killing Magashi, Dulk Falkis was simply awakened due to them being too slow to shut off the reactor. it would have felt like a better final battle. Saying "OHNOES MAGASHI FUSED WITH THE REACTOR" and then having him turn into this uber demigod Holy boss was just retarded. He was just a CAST.

Naria
Jul 3, 2008, 10:05 AM
I want to go beat the baddies up with my rod and slap them in the face with my gun!! Why can the NPCs and the rouge seed things do it but we cant?????
Nah PSU is great compared to PSO except the damn billing site....

Abashi76
Jul 3, 2008, 09:40 PM
Interesting, in comparison to PSO:

PSU right over PSO:

-Player shops /w rooms

-Changing classes, and better balanced

-Leveling skills, weapons skills, better animations

-The new AOI weapon types (eg: whip)

-Not severely hacked, like PSO

PSU wrong over PSO:

-Not connected worldwide w/ lack of players

-Weapons and equipment almost never drop

-No PVP or other alternative game types

-The old levels, bosses, and enemies, seemed more fun

RemiusTA
Jul 3, 2008, 10:03 PM
All the PSU levels are far more fun than the PSO stages. Most people only spam 3 of about 70 maps in the whole game, and YES they all are very much so different.

Xenoguner
Jul 3, 2008, 10:56 PM
In retrospect, the only ppl that will possibly believe that PSO is a much better game that PSU will ever amount to, is the PSO loyals. I cant state anything else that PSU does better than what the other posters here already stated, and like Remius said, its a matter of opinion; whats better than what?

And aside from a fan boy's point of view, give PSO and PSU to a casual gamer. If you can honestly say that in the end, after trying both games, the gamer will say PSO is better, then he was paid to say it. PSU was ment to bring both fans of the series and casual gamers alike, together. Of course PSU will have its faults for that, but thats hardly any reason that downgrades psu's gameplay/style below that of PSO standards.

All in all, its opinion. and im not sure if i caught this, but if the OP wasnt fan and wanted to just know the differnces, then PSU is a better game than PSO....this in no way counts for our current lack of updates >.>; thats a differnt story hahah

Nitro Vordex
Jul 3, 2008, 10:59 PM
PSU is PSO's red headed step child.

Fix'd.

Abashi76
Jul 3, 2008, 11:46 PM
In retrospect, the only ppl that will possibly believe that PSO is a much better game that PSU will ever amount to, is the PSO loyals. I cant state anything else that PSU does better than what the other posters here already stated, and like Remius said, its a matter of opinion; whats better than what?

And aside from a fan boy's point of view, give PSO and PSU to a casual gamer. If you can honestly say that in the end, after trying both games, the gamer will say PSO is better, then he was paid to say it. PSU was ment to bring both fans of the series and casual gamers alike, together. Of course PSU will have its faults for that, but thats hardly any reason that downgrades psu's gameplay/style below that of PSO standards.

All in all, its opinion. and im not sure if i caught this, but if the OP wasnt fan and wanted to just know the differnces, then PSU is a better game than PSO....this in no way counts for our current lack of updates >.>; thats a differnt story hahah

You are right that PSU is an enhancement from PSO. However, there are some aspects about PSO that made it more fun, such as alternative game styles such as PVP and challenge mode. Also, PSO gameplay was different in certain ways; and many people preferred the older characteristics of PSO over this game. Read my post, I kinda explain why somebody might prefer PSO.

Shinko
Jul 4, 2008, 12:10 AM
the only thing i liked better about pso was the weapons.

..... I don't see why so many ppl like pso better than psu anyway -_- i'll always been so confused about this.

And aside from a fan boy's point of view, give PSO and PSU to a casual gamer. If you can honestly say that in the end, after trying both games, the gamer will say PSO is better, then he was paid to say it.

LOL sry i just had to laugh at this i find so funny and true.... well maybe.... just maybe some would say pso over psu but for the most part they'll pick psu over pso

Xenoguner
Jul 4, 2008, 12:13 AM
To Abashi (cuz i cant use the Quote thing right >.<)

I totally agree with you and your posts. Like i said, its all about preferences XD Its true in some respects, PSO had more variety (C-mode, PvP, etc). Those are what defined PSO and makes it a not only a more varied game, but also classic ^^

PSU has those same traits as well, not in gameplay maybe, but its other unique functions that set it apart from all MMO's, such as the customization, and class changes, that good stuff.
All in all, to say PSO or PSU is better than the other is all just preference and opinion. I personally hold them both as equal, since they both have their pros and cons that set them apart and define eachother.

D1ABOLIK
Jul 4, 2008, 12:18 AM
PSU has better character customization, and a better targeting system. Also better graphics. Everything else was much better in PSO. PSO was epic. Just the atmosphere in PSO alone is enough for me to prefer it over PSU any day. And PM's and synthing are garbage.

Ahkaskar
Jul 4, 2008, 02:56 AM
..... I don't see why so many ppl like pso better than psu anyway -_- i'll always been so confused about this.
I honestly don't think it's any rational reason that many people like PSO over PSU. PSO had all kinds of flaws and so does PSU. The difference is that we're experiencing the flaws from the beginning and in a few years I'm sure most will forget about all these problems. Until then, people are going to complain because it isn't exactly how they think PSO should have been revitalized.

Even when they list the reasons, I tend to find it mostly boils down to opinion, misguided animosity and a reluctance to let go of one's fonder days.

RemiusTA
Jul 4, 2008, 02:59 AM
Okay i'll be fair

PSO over PSU

- Music

im done. Dont know if anyone noticed, but playing PSOBB with no music on is a sadface experience.

DreXxiN
Jul 4, 2008, 03:11 AM
More legitamacy? lol, Good to see some people bringing out positives on here.

Splash
Jul 4, 2008, 03:43 AM
Comparing the PSU soundtrack to PSO's, I honestly find PSU's one to be more enjoyable. Mizuraki CD, Raffon Meadow, Ukishima, and among others are awesome.

Nitro Vordex
Jul 4, 2008, 03:55 AM
Okay i'll be fair

PSO over PSU

- Music

im done. Dont know if anyone noticed, but playing PSOBB with no music on is a sadface experience.

Though, I got tired of it, so I switched the files.

Meh, I still have the originals. :)

strikershadow
Jul 4, 2008, 07:18 AM
This is a topic of opinions.

And I could easily break it down into terms you couldn't/wouldn't feel like countering, but i dont see the point since ive done this at least 15 times now. Everytime I compare the two and end the conversation, someone always decides to play the "Well i just like PSO better" card and make another dumbass topic about the same thing.

I understand what your saying, and im sure all the PSO players understand what your saying. BUT you dont understand what WERE saying. And you and the rest of the players never will. So I will explain it the best I can. You say FFX or 12 is your favorite game right. So Im going to use that as an example. Imagine 10 years from now when the playstation 4 or the xbox 720 comes out... those systems will be atleast 2 times as powerful, Hell just for shit and giggles imagine if the systems came with a helmet and they were vurtual reality games just to make myself clear. Now you will have 10+ years of playing games, the new generation of gamers buy the system and lets say Final Fantasy 20 comes with it. You buy the system and play it and it will have awesome graphics and the story line will be cool AND it will be virtual reality with 5 times the content! BUT your going to think to yourself "Its a good game BUT I remember in final fantasy X the story line was awesome and the main character was from a dream world. I loved the combat and the characters really stood out to me" Then you post on a forum trying to explain it and get flammed because they cant see what your talking about because they look at final fantasy 10 with blurred vision. and cannot see past the graphics and how short 10 will be.

Its going to end with everyone throwing their opinions out, and occasionally stopping to correct someone when they say something stupid, like "PSO's gameplay engine was better than PSU's".

The PSU community will never understand the PSO community when we say that. The Pa's were great in PSU and psu has added a lot of stuff. I can say PSO gameplay engine was better but that would be an opinion

But the FACT is quantity is never over quality

Edit: And FF7 is so fucking overrrated. It was great, but FFX / FFXII were BOTH such better games than FF7 was. Sure, Sephiroth was cool, but Final Fantasy has had far better villians in the past. And on top of that, FF8, FFX and FFXII all had a FAR FAR FAR better cast of characters and development than FF7 had.

And not to mention, FF8, FF9, FFX, FFX-2, and FFXII ALL had far better battle engines.

everything in that statement is an opinion, and for the most part your right. final fantasy 8 - 12 does arguably have better game engines, theres more detail and as you go from 8 to 9 and 9 to 10 you see what they add. theres more spells or gear or whatever. and of course better graphics and a lot more content. and is a very good opinion

this is the fact. Final fantasy 7 is all of these
1 the best selling rpg PERIOD
2 its in the top 5 of best rpgs of all time around the world
3 the storyline in number 1 in storyline, the cutscene where sephiroth killed aerith is number 1 storyline and has held that position for 10 years and that is fucking phenominal.

This is also fact to, your favorite games are 10 and 12? well there not even on the list for best rpg's... no two final fantasy's together will equal the amount more then final fantasy 7

this is my opinion because im not 100% sure... but did final fantasy 8 thru 12 even win an award? i remember final fantasy 8 won an award for the picture of when squall and that girl danced, but it was a graphics award...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The point is the people saying hateful things will never understand until you guys pick a favorite game and 10 years from now everyone says a game that you know sucks is better then your favorite. period. just wait for Phantasy Star __________ 10 years from now LOL

PSU is bigger, better picture, added content. so many boards. PSO was limited and use 100% of there space and code to make a great game... sure psu is 5X PSO data wise but ti just feels half assed

Ahkaskar
Jul 4, 2008, 12:04 PM
this is the fact. Final fantasy 7 is all of these
[...]
3 the storyline in number 1 in storyline, the cutscene where sephiroth killed aerith is number 1 storyline and has held that position for 10 years and that is fucking phenominal.
Whoever voted in favor of that is a tool.

Darsh
Jul 4, 2008, 12:21 PM
I love it when a thread gets brought up on psu and some how ventures into the realm of Final Fantasy. Honestly Phantasy Star (the old ones) had a better story then FF 7 , they just werent that popular because back then alot of people didnt want plot!

Besides honestly ; | MOST people im sure played FF 7 for its back then amazing graphics and cuzz it was first FF on playstation 1.

deso123
Jul 4, 2008, 12:29 PM
QUESTION.

How many of you gonna import the japanese version of phantasy star portable if the english version isnt announced soon? i dont think it would be wise for me to do that because im not even used to psu enough to do that and know whats going on but i just might if enough of you plan on doing it to play online. only got like 2 weeks left till it comes out in the crazy asian lands.

BahnKnakyu
Jul 4, 2008, 01:13 PM
If PSP is a single player only game (with absolutely no multiplayer function) I'll import it from JP. The voice acting sickens me.

PSU's strengths over PSO
* Better graphics (but not by much)
* Faster and more controllable character movement. If you want to move left or right in PSO, your character had to TURN before going that direction. Your character has a finer degree of control over their movement.
* More evolved (though cliche) storyline.
* Wide variety of melee skills makes melee a hell of a lot more fun than PSO's. I found it retarded that you were "stuck" with your class, race, and gender's combination for melee weapon attacks.
* Limitation of elements on weapons. It's still a gamble for you to start a synth and pray for a 40+%, but at least you dont have to worry about multiple percents synthing/dropping correctly and hoping you also got hit in the process.
* Greater emphasis on party play. If you're concerned about party dynamics, you have to be mindful of what PAs, RA PAs, and techs you use.
* No Ramarl class. I hated Ramarls in PSOBB/GC.
* Traps not being cast-only.
* The Protranser class. Awesome concept and gameplay design.

I could list more, but then again I have a personal dislike towards people who refuse to stick to classics because nothing else matches how the stuff they're used to works/plays. (Insert the blade of grass bending with the wind analogy)

Shigecki
Jul 4, 2008, 01:35 PM

More than 4 stages and bosses

There were more then just four stages and bosses on PSO. The game didn't end with ver.1.

There was so much more to do on PSO then PSU. Much more!
http://www.pso-world.com/sections.php?section=quests&op=viewtopsection

Interesting, in comparison to PSO:
PSU wrong over PSO:

-Not connected worldwide w/ lack of players

Actually I have partner cards from players from Japan, England and Canada. Also, I've played with players from France as well as other European and Asian countries.

One of the things that many of you have stated is the customization. I don't see this. A male beast that is 130 and fortefighter 20 is the same as every other beast of the same level. Where is the customization there?

You could make a unique character on PSO with mats and a mag. You could change this anytime that you wanted to (mag at least). There wasn't set stats that your character had. If by looks, then I guess you're right, but if the best thing you can say about a game is "I have the ability to give my character blue clothes instead of green, and have a top that doesn't match the bottoms" and that constitutes customization, then I guess you're right. I don't see it that way. I have yet to see a truly unique character in PSU.

As for graphics, come on. PSU is brighter, I'll give you that. But BB looked so much better then PSU any day. Ep.4 was beautiful, and looked better then anything that PSU has to offer.

PSO's cap limit was 200. PSU's is 130. Why this is never brought up is a mystery to me. Nearly two years after the release and we still don't have 200.

PSO didn't have to rely on "events" to draw people to the game. Most of the people I play with on PSU are always looking to the future of what we will get in this game instead of just playing the game. It's not their fault, PSU is still incomplete.

The thing that PSU has over PSO is that my friends play PSU and not too many play PSO anymore. That's about it.

deso123
Jul 4, 2008, 02:01 PM
lol, im surprised no one mentioned the pick up boxes and refueling stations. I forgot all about those in the psu demo. they annoyed me so much. PSO had better looking boxes on the ground. WTF were they thinking when they changed em to look even worse? idk, sometimes I think other people's reasoning is just so flawed that i think im missing something... PSU reminds me of spacecowboy except not in planes, lol. It seems to have that flimsy feel and generic texture thing going on.

oh and let's not forget the keys you have to go pick up to unlock a door in psu...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSCUq2QJiQ0

Xenoguner
Jul 4, 2008, 02:21 PM
There were more then just four stages and bosses on PSO. The game didn't end with ver.1.

There was so much more to do on PSO then PSU. Much more!
http://www.pso-world.com/sections.php?section=quests&op=viewtopsection

Actually I have partner cards from players from Japan, England and Canada. Also, I've played with players from France as well as other European and Asian countries.

One of the things that many of you have stated is the customization. I don't see this. A male beast that is 130 and fortefighter 20 is the same as every other beast of the same level. Where is the customization there?

You could make a unique character on PSO with mats and a mag. You could change this anytime that you wanted to (mag at least). There wasn't set stats that your character had. If by looks, then I guess you're right, but if the best thing you can say about a game is "I have the ability to give my character blue clothes instead of green, and have a top that doesn't match the bottoms" and that constitutes customization, then I guess you're right. I don't see it that way. I have yet to see a truly unique character in PSU.

As for graphics, come on. PSU is brighter, I'll give you that. But BB looked so much better then PSU any day. Ep.4 was beautiful, and looked better then anything that PSU has to offer.

PSO's cap limit was 200. PSU's is 130. Why this is never brought up is a mystery to me. Nearly two years after the release and we still don't have 200.

PSO didn't have to rely on "events" to draw people to the game. Most of the people I play with on PSU are always looking to the future of what we will get in this game instead of just playing the game. It's not their fault, PSU is still incomplete.

The thing that PSU has over PSO is that my friends play PSU and not too many play PSO anymore. That's about it.

Now's here's a PSO Loyalist's opinion XD Some parts here is agreeable, just barely at that. Like the quests you brought up. Very true that PSO had stuff like C-mode and stuff. i mentioned that in my earlier post.

As for the stages, very true that the game didnt end with Ep 1. Ep2 had just about as much stages as Ep 2, then Ep 4 introduced 3 more new areas. Looking at it rationally, the VARIETY OF THE ENVIRONMENTS are about even in both games.

Customization wise, if your talking about Race and class mix, to blame there is the imagination of the people, but that in no way says that the customization the GAME ALLOWS is limited to worse than PSO's. Yes, a male beast that is 130 and fortefighter 20 is pretty common, but those are ppl that only care about making the strongest chars. Other people that i've seen use a much more fun combinations. A cast Force, for example. Sure its not a good combination if your looking at it from an Elitists point of view, but to some, its fun, and a challenge, and just plain fun to be around, knowing the player of that char isnt hardcore (aka, a light heart)

You also forget (or chose not to address) the fact we can change class for ANY RACE. I dont think PSO can do that, tho im not saying its better or worse. (again, thats opinion. Some ppl like Set race/set class deally ^^;

You mentioned about mags, how that gives everyone a "unique" look. But think about it. Since you say almost everyone uses a Beast Fortefighter, isnt it the same as how almost alot of ppl used a Rati (that wing like mag) for looks in pso? Maybe you dont, but other ppl sure do. In turn, once again, its how the ppl think and use their char that your addressing, not the games variety it OFFERS. And believe it or not, alot of ppl do care about looks. Your one of the ppl that dont, and overshadow that "missable fact" as you treat this point of customization.

Graphics tho, cmon. To say that PSO had supierior graphics over PSU, brighter or not, just screams your trying to put PSU down on purpose. Most stages are very beautiful to look at and to be in. Most notably is the Sakura Blast episode. Anyone who loves anime, or the japanese culture, wud love that area, with its Cherry Blossem forte as its main attraction. Sure, the lobbys had that in PSO, but i think the fact that PSU had a whole FOREST of them, makes it better to FEEL your in the game. There are plenty, PLENTY more places like that, but i wont get into them. To say PSO had better graphics, just think it thru. Good yes. But better? Meh.

Lvl cap is 130. Yes, thats true, but i guess you werent around when Sega told everyone, UPDATES. This may not be your intention, but you make it sound like it stayed at 130 FOREVER, and that it wont possibly go any higher. Many topics already covered this, but PSU's ultimately gonna cap at 200. Hell there was talk about going PAST 200. Look up other topics, you'll see what i mean there.

Now i agree with you about the event deally. Lots of ppl are looking foward to it, because, as you said, PSU is still incomplete. and they're also a great place for lvling up, Mping up (if you havent spammed egg theives/Metro line already ^^;;; )
and getting some really nifty weapons.

Tho to say that events are the only thing that "draws ppl in" are saying ppl have a one track mind. If your one of the ppl that played psu in the beggining of its lifespan like me, then you know how there were virtually NO EVENTS to keep us "enlightened." we saw the game how it is, fun, enjoyable, and a great place to be with friends that you make online. Lvling was hell, but hey, we did it cuz we thought it was fun. Some of us still do. This is my opinion, but i dont need an Event to keep me on PSU XD

All in all, if your gonna start trashing PSU and putting it below PSO for any obscure reason, pls think hard about PSU has to offer. Both games have their Pro's and Con's. but at least give each game respectivly, some credit D:

Ken_Silver
Jul 4, 2008, 02:37 PM

Just going to respond to this quickly.

With episode 1 and 2 combined, you got 8 bosses and stages and granted that they were awesome, PSU has much more. Not to mention that Episode 3 was a major flop and Episode 4 wasn't able to connect with the other older versions of PSO, so that didn't help.

But someone else said it best earlier in the thread. Most of this will be opinion. While Quantity can be backed up by statsitics, Quality is just a matter of opinion. PSU has a lot more stages than PSO did. That's a fact. But the quality can be left up to the players.

And as for the level cap issue: we'll be at level 200 eventually. Remember, the level cap is actually 150 in Japan and PSU still has a lot more to offer than what we currently have.

Xenoguner
Jul 4, 2008, 02:50 PM
Thank you, Ken_Silver =) At least someone understands the opinion factor XD

DreXxiN
Jul 4, 2008, 02:57 PM

With episode 1 and 2 combined, you got 8 bosses and stages and granted that they were awesome, PSU has much more. Not to mention that Episode 3 was a major flop and Episode 4 wasn't able to connect with the other older versions of PSO, so that didn't help.

But someone else said it best earlier in the thread. Most of this will be opinion. While Quantity can be backed up by statsitics, Quality is just a matter of opinion. PSU has a lot more stages than PSO did. That's a fact. But the quality can be left up to the players.

And as for the level cap issue: we'll be at level 200 eventually. Remember, the level cap is actually 150 in Japan and PSU still has a lot more to offer than what we currently have.

Wait, PSU has more than 8 bosses?

EDIT: Oh right, we have about 11 or 12. Too bad they are all skinned after the same 2 or 3 :(

Shigecki
Jul 4, 2008, 02:57 PM
I wasn't trashing the game, just replying to the question. I pay for and play the game. If it was something that I truly didn't like, I wouldn't even bother.

Foxfire15
Jul 4, 2008, 03:02 PM
Hmm, well, I like them both about the same TBH.

I do like the better customization aspect of PSU or PSO, as well as the availability of rare weapons (ie, everyone can find them). However, I think the synthesis aspect is a step backwards. I liked finding WEAPONS, not finding a board that may or may not produce a weapons / item depending on the mood swings of the server. Also, I may be alone here, but I preferred the quick swap panel in PSO over the weapon / item pallet in PSU. Sure, it might not be as fast as PSU when looking though items that you use a lot, but anything else is a pain to get to on the fly if you need it fast. (like...a moon for example. Not something you'll use a TON, but when you need them, you usually need them FAST.)

Classes are a nice thing to have rather than being stuck as one forever, BUT I still think that everyone should be able to use techs, at least to like...lvl 10 or something. Resta was a very useful spell in PSO, and would have been really nice to be able to use in PSU. Along the line of techs too, why do we need to have PP on weapons? what's so wrong with having PP on the character? I understand that in the current game, it wouldn't work real well (PAs / techs take a lot of PP)....I dunno, I just dislike the whole PP thing in general.

PSU stages are nice a brightly colored, and the characters move a lot more fluidly, but I miss the length and variety of the maps from PSO.....and the difficulty of the monsters in general. PSU mobs just aren't as...unforgiving as the PSO ones. Especially since scape dolls can be bought now. But as it stands, most every mob is just a reskin of something else (with maybe 1 extra thing thrown in for flavor). PSO had unique monsters with every area. (PSU could have that for every planet, but they really don't. Just elemental variations with a slightly different name usually.) The ONLY mobs that PSO had in common with each floor was the 3 lvls of basic mob that would just chase you down and try to beat you into submission. (and even the mines put a nasty trick into that one with the robots. God I hated those lasers lol.)

Anywho, guess I'm showing a little favoritism to PSO, but PSU's areas are a lot more...interesting to look around and the different lobbies are a nice change. Amazing character customization. Camera is a lot more user friendly. There's more, but this is turning into a long post and I want to enjoy my day off, so I think I'll leave it at this.

Xenoguner
Jul 4, 2008, 03:10 PM
Wait, PSU has more than 8 bosses?

EDIT: Oh right, we have about 11 or 12. Too bad they are all skinned after the same 2 or 3 :(

True. Original bosses include De Ragun, De Ragnus, Onmagaug thingy, That Magashi machine we all hate, Dulk Falkis (both Forms) and Del Ro Le. I might be missing one or two, but thats what the bosses of reskins are made after. I personally dont mind. Reskins are what RPG's of all kinds are known for XD PSU just happens to be no exception haha

Ken_Silver
Jul 4, 2008, 03:34 PM
Now I have a serious question for anyone who plays on the JPN servers. I've asked this before, but I never get an answer...

Do the JPN players complain about the Reskins and PSO vs PSU issue? If they do, then expect Sega to do something about it in the next expansion. If they don't, then nothing will be done about it and we should take a step back to look at ourselves and see why it bothers us so much.

Does anyone know their stand on these issues?

Abashi76
Jul 4, 2008, 04:07 PM

With episode 1 and 2 combined, you got 8 bosses and stages and granted that they were awesome, PSU has much more.

Actually, I might just challenge that one:

Of episodes 1,2, and 4 > there were 9 bosses with only 2 of them being reskins. There are only about 5 unique types of bosses in PSU.

Also, there aren't just merely 11 stages total in BB. With in these areas, there were actually different stages rather than merely different blocks. Lets count >

-Forest 1
-Forest 2
-Cave 1
-Cave 2
-Cave 3
-Mine 1
-Mine 2
-Ruins 1
-Ruins 2
-Ruins 3
-Temple
-Spaceship
-CCA
-Jungle
-Seaside
-Mountain
-Control Tower
-Upper Seabed
-Lower Seabed
-Desert Area
-Crater
-Subterrain

>>> Of the following, they were all just as different from each other, as the different missions are in PSU. A lot of the missions in PSU took place in the same area, but had different maps. Are you sure that PSU has more areas than PSO?

Also, don't forget about Challenge Mode and PVP, that was on PSO.

Also, as we all know, EP1 changes dramatically in Ultimate Mode leaving much to see at higher levels. In PSU, only Linear Platform changes significantly at S-rank.

deso123
Jul 4, 2008, 04:18 PM
lol
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Abj3oL1hCx0
http://youtube.com/watch?v=5_K0FACb-Zo
http://youtube.com/watch?v=k5GDluv3WE0
http://youtube.com/watch?v=4d2O8fw_wrs

Ken_Silver
Jul 4, 2008, 04:34 PM
Actually, I might just challenge that one:

Of episodes 1,2, and 4 > there were 9 bosses with only 2 of them being reskins. There are only about 5 unique types of bosses in PSU.

Also, there aren't just merely 11 stages total in BB. With in these areas, there were actually different stages rather than merely different blocks. Lets count >

-Forest 1
-Forest 2
-Cave 1
-Cave 2
-Cave 3
-Mine 1
-Mine 2
-Ruins 1
-Ruins 2
-Ruins 3
-Temple
-Spaceship
-CCA
-Jungle
-Seaside
-Mountain
-Control Tower
-Upper Seabed
-Lower Seabed
-Desert Area
-Crater
-Subterrain

>>> Of the following, they were all just as different from each other, as the different missions are in PSU. A lot of the missions in PSU took place in the same area, but had different maps. Are you sure that PSU has more areas than PSO?

Also, don't forget about Challenge Mode and PVP, that was on PSO.

Also, as we all know, EP1 changes dramatically in Ultimate Mode leaving much to see at higher levels. In PSU, only Linear Platform changes significantly at S-rank.

lol, not the response to the question that I wanted a response to, but nevertheless, I still respectfully disagree.

While the areas/blocks of the forest to the Ruins are different in looks, they are in reality all the same. I mean, you really can't serperate them, unless you want to seperate every mission that PSU has available. i mean Forest 1 and Forest 2 is still the forest. Just like White Beast Block 1 and White Beast Block 2 is still a part of White Beast. So I don't think that is a fair argument. Plus, there are story missions that can count as levels to play as well, albeit solo levels. Not to mention the event missions that we get. They are levels too, just not available all of the time. And in all fairness, I won't say anything against PSOBB. I had the GC version and I didn't play online, so I couldn't play BB. But even with the list extended, I think that PSU has more missions than PSO, but like I said, quality over quantity is a matter of opinion.

And yes, PSO has the changes to all of the monsters in the Ultimate rank. Nothing in PSU makes up for that much. .

As for the Challenge and PvP aspect, PSO wins that one. PSU doesn't have any of those as of now. There is still a chance that we might get them in the distant future.

Abashi76
Jul 4, 2008, 04:43 PM
lol, not the response to the question that I wanted a response to, but nevertheless, I still respectfully disagree.

While the areas/blocks of the forest to the Ruins are different in looks, they are in reality all the same. I mean, you really can't serperate them, unless you want to seperate every mission that PSU has available. i mean Forest 1 and Forest 2 is still the forest. Just like White Beast Block 1 and White Beast Block 2 is still a part of White Beast. So I don't think that is a fair argument. Plus, there are story missions that can count as levels to play as well, albeit solo levels. Not to mention the event missions that we get. They are levels too, just not available all of the time. And in all fairness, I won't say anything against PSOBB. I had the GC version and I didn't play online, so I couldn't play BB. But even with the list extended, I think that PSU has more missions than PSO, but like I said, quality over quantity is a matter of opinion.

And yes, PSO has the changes to all of the monsters in the Ultimate rank. Nothing in PSU makes up for that much. .

As for the Challenge and PvP aspect, PSO wins that one. PSU doesn't have any of those as of now. There is still a chance that we might get them in the distant future.

I hope so, in another expansion probably. What this game lacks the most though, is a good amount of players.

Ken_Silver
Jul 4, 2008, 04:53 PM
I hope so, in another expansion probably. What this game lacks the most though, is a good amount of players.

True. I'm hoping that the release of PSP for the PSP will bring more players to the PC/PS2 servers.

Go Alpha Systems. :D

Flame
Jul 4, 2008, 05:36 PM
Man we can talk about this until the cows come home. I could write a whole dissertation about how in my opinion PSO is better than PSU. But you know what, I won't. Let's make it simpler.

I just didn't have any fun with PSU. It just wasn't compelling and I never wanted to come back and log in any more hours. I haven't touched it since the few weeks I played it after I bought it. And if you're going to claim that its so much more improved now that there's more content, you can forget it. I played DCPSO for months without even thinking of logging online. If a game at its core isn't fun, no amount of slapped on content and extra features is going to make a difference.

You can pout and huff about how this is all just a silly opinion but from what I hear about the current PSU population, it looks like most of the gaming community agrees with me.

PS. For all of you out there toting PSU's technical superiority, I don't seem to recall DC PSO having ass loads of game breaking slowdown.

Ken_Silver
Jul 4, 2008, 05:50 PM
Man we can talk about this until the cows come home. I could write a whole dissertation about how in my opinion PSO is better than PSU. But you know what, I won't. Let's make it simpler.

I just didn't have any fun with PSU. It just wasn't compelling and I never wanted to come back and log in any more hours. I haven't touched it since the few weeks I played it after I bought it. And if you're going to claim that its so much more improved now that there's more content, you can forget it. I played DCPSO for months without even thinking of logging online. If a game at its core isn't fun, no amount of slapped on content and extra features is going to make a difference.

You can pout and huff about how this is all just a silly opinion but from what I hear about the current PSU population, it looks like most of the gaming community agrees with me.

PS. For all of you out there toting PSU's technical superiority, I don't seem to recall DC PSO having ass loads of game breaking slowdown.

As long as you noted that this is your opinion from the start, no one should have a problem with it. That includes me. And I think the second to last line of yours is a typo. Granted, not everyone is going to like PSU over PSO.

But I remember hearing about the slowdown issue, that the PSO game engine was created so that you wouldn't get slowdown, your teammates would just be far ahead of you and you would never know. And I don't know why Sega decided to go with the PSU lag solution instead of the PSO never know it happened solution. I think the reason is that when another member in PSO "lagged" they wouldn't help another member, causing in deaths.

But remember, the point of this thread was to note the good things about PSU. Naming bad things about it is not the way to go. Give me another thread which asks you the opposite and I'll rip PSU a new one.

Just doing as the thread asks.

Xenoguner
Jul 4, 2008, 05:52 PM

Wow, talk about much hate here, haha. You shud respect ppl's opinion tho, common sense instead of stuff it down, =P. Tho i respect your opinion, dont act like yours is the better one. Thats just arrogent.

At anyrate, a question about PSP: I hear alot of mixed info, is it really going to be only offline/multiplayer? i watched a trailer, it didnt mention anyting about online D: Can someone clarify pls? thanks ^^

Dragwind
Jul 4, 2008, 06:09 PM
Keep it calm folks. Respect each others opinion's and provide your arguments, but please, refrain from flaming each other or name calling.

deso123
Jul 4, 2008, 06:12 PM
its ok guys, the next Phantasy Star will bring us all together. :D

PSP is gonna have to be really popular for me to get it imported. If they make an english version I will buy it for sure probably because I got money that needs to go. I'm sick of lookin at it. I never buy anything with it anyway and supposedly this version is a little more like pso. Well i may not buy it if a new portable pops up by then I will wait to see if thats better than a PSP. Come on microsoft... Kick psp ass.

Nitro Vordex
Jul 4, 2008, 07:00 PM
Good god, there's like a billion walls of text in this thread. @o@

Maybe if this wasn't a PSO vs. PSU thread (as that's what it's turned into) We wouldn't have all of this.

Abashi76
Jul 4, 2008, 11:02 PM
True. I'm hoping that the release of PSP for the PSP will bring more players to the PC/PS2 servers.

Go Alpha Systems. :D

How do you think PSP might bring more to the PC/PS2 servers? I hope it does too, I just don't quite get how this game would help though.

Ahkaskar
Jul 4, 2008, 11:08 PM

Now see, I hated the potential to be weaker than my peers. I like fixed character growth in my RPGs and augmenting it with interchangeable equipment as opposed to using one-shot items. Those materials tended to create a barrier between the casual player and an advanced player as the advanced player will take to making a "perfect" character. What was really bad about it is if you made a mistake in applying the materials, you pretty much permanently "screwed up" your character.

Ken_Silver
Jul 4, 2008, 11:53 PM
How do you think PSP might bring more to the PC/PS2 servers? I hope it does too, I just don't quite get how this game would help though.

If people find the PSP version to be good, some of them will say: "Hey. I wish I could play this game with a lot of other people and with new content. Oh wait, there is a game just like this one but it is online. Okay, I'll buy the online version and a subscription and get online."

That's not too far of a stretch, is it? New people will play PSP first and then expect PSU:AOI to be a continuation of it with new content and more goodies.

Little will they know of all of ST's previous errors and faults. It sounds like such a strategy would work.

strikershadow
Jul 5, 2008, 02:44 PM
If people find the PSP version to be good, some of them will say: "Hey. I wish I could play this game with a lot of other people and with new content. Oh wait, there is a game just like this one but it is online. Okay, I'll buy the online version and a subscription and get online."

That's not too far of a stretch, is it? New people will play PSP first and then expect PSU:AOI to be a continuation of it with new content and more goodies.

Little will they know of all of ST's previous errors and faults. It sounds like such a strategy would work.

Ken_silver your my hero LOL your right according to segas mess ups psp players WILL think that :D

i jus hope the PSP game is good enough to keep them :D

Tulio07
Jul 5, 2008, 05:03 PM
I was once a PSO is better person, then I went back to PSO during a 1 month hiatus from psu and I must say that I enjoy PSU so much more.

Rambo!
Jul 5, 2008, 05:59 PM
As of late not much really I went and recently played a couple rounds of pso gc and I released that not much is better. Sure the graphics are better but the grinding in pso didn't feel as much like grinding. Until Sonic team gets there act together (if they ever do) Pso imo will be the superior game. This comes from a pure fun standpoint not in terms of how the game is played. I think the combat system in psu is much more refined but there is still something missing that pso had (maybe mobs bigger than 3 monsters) but for now I will continue to play pso until Sega actually updates psu.

Flame
Jul 6, 2008, 03:20 PM
But remember, the point of this thread was to note the good things about PSU. Naming bad things about it is not the way to go. Give me another thread which asks you the opposite and I'll rip PSU a new one.

Just doing as the thread asks.

I'm sorry guys I shouldn't have been so harsh. In fact I should probably try PSU again now that the expansions out. It's just that I was so disappointed the last time I tried, that it's a lot to ask that I put my faith in the game enough to purchase the expansion and then pay the monthly fee.

To stay on topic then, PSU did do some great things over PSO.

The PP level up system was a brilliant addition and definitely adds a bit of much needed spice to the hack and slash. I did miss the timing based combos but I've heard there's something like that in the expansion?

The clothes and My room systems are very nice and help to personalize even more.

The first person shooting is nice if not a little buggy. I can't help but feel that the experience suffers from the new camera. It's a little more pulled back and away from the action as opposed to PSO's.

But I remember hearing about the slowdown issue, that the PSO game engine was created so that you wouldn't get slowdown, your teammates would just be far ahead of you and you would never know. And I don't know why Sega decided to go with the PSU lag solution instead of the PSO never know it happened solution. I think the reason is that when another member in PSO "lagged" they wouldn't help another member, causing in deaths.

I wasn't addressing lag so much as actual frame rate drop. Lag is a separate technical issue altogether. I don't know if this has changed, but for the Ps2 version of PSU I played, even offline mode was basically unplayable due to insane amounts of frame rate dropping. I probably ask about this every time I post here, but for those playing the ps2 version: has this been fixed? Like, at all? It's not that I have a low threshold of tolerance for this kind of thing, but we shouldn't have to deal with a game this technically flawed so late in the ps2's life.

I still do have some hope that there will be at least one more Phantasy Star Online oriented project after PSU for the next generation. I know PSU took a big hit critically and commercially so I hope this won't affect our chances.

Ken_Silver
Jul 6, 2008, 05:41 PM
I'm sorry guys I shouldn't have been so harsh. In fact I should probably try PSU again now that the expansions out. It's just that I was so disappointed the last time I tried, that it's a lot to ask that I put my faith in the game enough to purchase the expansion and then pay the monthly fee.

To stay on topic then, PSU did do some great things over PSO.

The PP level up system was a brilliant addition and definitely adds a bit of much needed spice to the hack and slash. I did miss the timing based combos but I've heard there's something like that in the expansion?

The clothes and My room systems are very nice and help to personalize even more.

The first person shooting is nice if not a little buggy. I can't help but feel that the experience suffers from the new camera. It's a little more pulled back and away from the action as opposed to PSO's.

I wasn't addressing lag so much as actual frame rate drop. Lag is a separate technical issue altogether. I don't know if this has changed, but for the Ps2 version of PSU I played, even offline mode was basically unplayable due to insane amounts of frame rate dropping. I probably ask about this every time I post here, but for those playing the ps2 version: has this been fixed? Like, at all? It's not that I have a low threshold of tolerance for this kind of thing, but we shouldn't have to deal with a game this technically flawed so late in the ps2's life.

I still do have some hope that there will be at least one more Phantasy Star Online oriented project after PSU for the next generation. I know PSU took a big hit critically and commercially so I hope this won't affect our chances.

I'll start off by saying, don't worry about the whole being harsh thing. It's a forum and people tend to get heated. I understand that and I always consider it water under the bridge. But I am glad that you were able to come out and admit it. So that deserves some recognizition.

On topic: It sounds like that you haven't played the expansion at all. If so then the system that you are talking about is the just attack, which works like the PSO attack system. Yeah, the game needed that and things are a lot better post AOI. Granted that there are still a few issues, most of them are related to the issues that Sega and Sonic Team have, not necessary the game itself.

Note: May have to edit this for clarification.

Bear...
Jul 7, 2008, 04:18 AM
photon arts and character custimizing other than that.....

XenithFlare
Jul 10, 2008, 01:52 PM
I read all of this and I have only one opinion:

I want this to turn into a Final Fantasy topic so I can bitch about the person who said FFX and FFXII were the best of the series. I dunno, blatant and ignorant lies just bother me, I suppose...

As for PSO/PSU, I never played PSO but from what I've seen of it I'm glad to have not. Were it not for moronic ideas and terrible service, I'd still be in love with PSU; as it is, SEGA's just fucked our shit up one too many times for me to enjoy it. Oh well

GreenArcher
Jul 10, 2008, 02:17 PM
PSU gives you much more to do other than hack and slash.

Casino, rooms, bigger lobbies, multiple lobbies, more customization, etc etc

Zaft
Jul 10, 2008, 04:39 PM
I like the combat more because of Photon Arts. Faster paced and makes it a little customizable instead of weak strong strong combos.

Noblewine
Jul 11, 2008, 01:32 PM
Certain missions in the game have early or extra boss spawns.
Theirs new content though their old updates after AoI.
The JA and JC make combat fun and helps distribute damage in mobs.
Menus are easy to scrolll through. I like to use Sntax like "/menu" etc
This game has abit of a learning curve but it's still pick up and play material.

big z
Jul 11, 2008, 03:13 PM
I seriously think that PSU has a better fighting system than PSO, and I have been playing PSO since its release on the Gamecube. i have only had PSU for a week and enjoy it more.

Darius_Drake
Jul 11, 2008, 04:15 PM
I have to agree with some of the people above. As far as playing with others online it is a mixed bag, but the clear cut improvements will be:

Better online play:
explanation - In PSO you really had to play with people you trusted. When you died you dropped items. The other people in your party would be quick and pick your items up. This caused a new problem of people finding ways to kill people in their teams just to get some of their items. Also it was possible for some to actually do something to completely corrupt your character forcing you to make a new character.

Better rare hunting - Although rare hunting can be completely frustrating in PSU imagine if only people with a certain ID could hunt Love Inferno's. These forums would be filled with angry people. In PSO the only way you could get certain items were to trade for them or make sure you had the right ID. The thing is your ID was determined by your name. That means you either make up a name you like or make up a name that will get you the ID you want. It was almost impossible to have both and that sucks.

P.S.
It is hard to only look at it one way because there are still things PSO did better in my opinion. An example is having attacks that can only be done in cooperation with others like combining the mag specials to create a new one. You could even combine up to 4 mag specials at a time. Pulling this off actually gave you a great feeling of working as a team. It would be nice if they could have created something like this in PSU. Had to say something nice about PSO due to it being such a great game. There are more things PSO did better but this isn't the right thread.