PDA

View Full Version : I'm making a game, and it's going pretty well.

Wyndham
Jul 5, 2008, 03:50 PM
I'm making a game that for the main part is kinda like D&D, but I'm building everything from nothing. I finished with the stats and what they basically do, the classes and base class stats, the races and how the races effect the game, what things require what dice and math, the weapon classes, the weapon database, the monster classes and database.
I told the local toy store about it (an employee wanted to know why i was buying tons of dice), and they think it's really great. I'm about halfway done with the basics, and I'm gonna use the first draft with some of my friends to see how it plays. the databases will be the hardest, but I'm having fun.
my doctor said i should copyright it, and then ill sell it on CDRs and a board for the battles.
I still don't have a name for the game, though.
what do all of you think?

Saner
Jul 5, 2008, 03:54 PM
well keep the name to yourself so you can safely copyright it first. :)
Just come up with some attention grabbing name, but cool, and stuff.

but ya great stuff you are doing something? most people here are too lazy to make up
their own stuff and make it happen. :p

Wyndham
Jul 5, 2008, 04:16 PM
I am really having fun with this, and when I play with my friends, we'll use lego minifigures for our characters, and I have a lot already.
I am hoping i can find a way to sell it.

Ranmaru
Jul 5, 2008, 04:32 PM
I am sure you will suceed. :P Is it that we are too lazy, or that we aren't forced to be creative anymore? I mean, we don't have problems that could be solved with an invention. -_- (lol gas prices?)

Nitro Vordex
Jul 5, 2008, 04:39 PM
most people here are too lazy to make up
their own stuff and make it happen. :p
That's it, I'm calling BS.

Plenty of people on this site have things they are all working on. I know there's a few computer technicians/programmers in this community. Some are working on games, or working with programs in general. There's a few writers, myself included. Of course, I've hit a bit of a road block, but I still want to write. Some people work for huge companies, so they just don't have time to do stuff. Others still are in college, getting what degrees they can with hard work. There's artists on this site, drawings don't take 5 minutes. Some of the stuff on there take hours, sometimes days to do. That is hard work, and I admire those people, because I wish I could draw like that. I know there's quite a few musicians, singers and others on this site looking for a band, group, or just doing it as a hobby. They all are trying o do something, not be lazy.

*sigh* Ending minirant.exe

On topic: Wyndham, if you need volunteers for this game, I'd be glad to help. :)

Wyndham
Jul 5, 2008, 05:28 PM
I'll be doing some test runs with people nearby, but if i can find a way to do it online, that would be great.

Ranmaru
Jul 5, 2008, 07:15 PM
If you somehow found a way to do that online, I wouldn't mind helping in any way (although I haven't played D&D, so not much experience). :)

AlexCraig
Jul 5, 2008, 07:36 PM
Making a video game, too, eh? Pretty cool! Glad to see you're enjoying making it! After a while, it'll wear on you. But if you can tough those parts through, you might just have an awesome game, there.

NPCMook
Jul 5, 2008, 07:59 PM
Technically Wyndham you could use Fantasy grounds to play it online, however you'd need someone who knows basic XML to rewrite the entire basic design of Fantasy grounds to display how your character sheets work, basic rules, Class and Race Rundowns, along with abilities each race and class would have... I'm sure someone on PSOW world knows how to do it, and probably someone you know IRL knows how to do it...

Just wondering what Die system are you using? Because I'm sure I can find a Rule book that explains the basic design... The only ones I really know how they work are the D6(shadowrun Roleplay/Warhammer Tabletop), the D%(Warhammer Roleplay), and of course the D20 system. There are other system utilizing the other dice for more than just a damage roll

SabZero
Jul 6, 2008, 04:05 AM
Don't worry about the copyright thing. If you really want to be sure, you'll have to talk to laywer.

Good going, congrats! Hope to be able to see some screen or a demo :D

Wyndham
Jul 6, 2008, 08:16 AM
I'm using dice rolls for the battle system, and some things outside of battle. I am gonna look into the online possibilities.
I'm glad so many people are interested.

Ranmaru
Jul 6, 2008, 02:39 PM
We are glad that you are glad. ^^ Hope it goes well. :)

Wyndham
Jul 6, 2008, 03:46 PM
I just finished assigning HP to classes.

Wyndham
Jul 8, 2008, 04:14 PM
Today I'm fine tuning the classes, and it's going well.

Wyndham
Jul 11, 2008, 06:10 PM
I'm gonna start making the range and possible choices for where to use attacks for each weapon class.
I also ordered more lego sets for use with the game. yippy skippy!

furrypaws
Jul 15, 2008, 12:43 PM
Name it Dragons and Dungeons. ^_^

Although, it sounds interesting. What time period is it set in (Fantasy/Medieval/Sci-fi/etc.)?