PDA

View Full Version : bah nvm (useless rant)

deso123
Jul 10, 2008, 10:58 PM
bah nvm. useless rant

Here's the rant if anyone still wants to read it since someone had a chance to read it and respond, lol.

Has anyone else noticed how games seem to be scraping up against a glass ceiling? A few years ago, not too long ago, companies used to just pump their games full of content and innovations. Games like Tribes 2, PSO, Total Annihilation, Tiberian Sun, Unreal tournament. etc. They were games in their genre pushing the limits. Back then it was like games were going to keep climbing and becoming more exotic and innovative.

When I look at Phantasy Star Universe and this new one coming out for the PSP I really don't see much new. They could have added so much more but there's something that made them stop like when they were planning on adding vehicles (something I thought was kind of stupid just for transportation). But instead of partner robots why not your own personal ship orbiting the planet youre on and having them perform air strikes and the ability to use a telepipe to transport back up to it for supplies? Or hell what about planetary exploration, randomized levels, monsters that actually perform and look better than their predecessors? I mean I could really go on and on rambling about things that could make a simple game have so many little things to add depth and flavor but yet we still get the bare basics, a very simple game lacking a lot of soul.

Anyone else feel like we should be getting much more by now? I mean, sure not a game we would waste every day of our lives playing but something when you sit down to play you could see yourself playing it years down the road and still having a great feeling playing.

What do we have to look forward to in then ext Phantasy Star? Will they ever go all out like they used to or are developers really all out of hope for those types of games and they feel the need to do just the bare basics and still do it half assed?

Ffuzzy-Logik
Jul 10, 2008, 11:17 PM
I both agree and disagree.

As far as the core gameplay, I feel like PSU got it perfect. However, I agree that there is a vast amount of wasted potential in terms of content.