PDA

View Full Version : This is why Germanic languages are awesome:

Blitzkommando
Jul 11, 2008, 12:53 AM
In many Germanic languages you can combine related nouns into one single, gargantuan noun. While not often used in speech, it is perfectly acceptable for written works.

For example, in English we would call it "System Stability Graph (or Diagram)". But in German it would be Systemstabilititätsdiagramm. Software installations becomes "Softwareinstallationen" and software uninstallations becomes "Softwaredeinstallationen".

http://jeff560.tripod.com/words11.html

That site, take it as you will, has some interesting information that as best as I can tell is accurate. If you are wanting to see the 'longest word' scroll to the bottom where you'll find the 130 letter Swedish word, blanked in case you want to be surprised to see it yourself.

So, uh, who else here is fascinated with linguistics and etymology?

Adriano
Jul 11, 2008, 12:55 AM
VERDAMMIT+PROSIT=?

Uncle_bob
Jul 11, 2008, 12:57 AM
You should be more considerate of people with hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia.

Adriano
Jul 11, 2008, 12:58 AM
YEA AND Flauccinacinihilifilipication.

Blitzkommando
Jul 11, 2008, 01:00 AM
Verdammt is either an adjective or adverb. (Also notice the lack of 'i')

ShinMaruku
Jul 11, 2008, 01:00 AM
English is a Germanic Language.. :E

Blitzkommando
Jul 11, 2008, 01:04 AM
English is a Germanic Language.. :E

OH FUCK I DIDN'T KNOW THIS! WE NEED TO TELL EVERYONE!

English is the bastardized child of Anglo-saxon, old Norse, French, a bit of German, numerous Celtic languages, and Latin. That said, compound nouns exist in English but are often hyphenated, similar to the adjectives blue-green or yellow-orange.

Adriano
Jul 11, 2008, 01:06 AM
OH so VERDAMMIT has no i, that explains why they say it like theres no i there then huh? :wacko:
GUTTAWEINACHTEN >:E

Sord
Jul 11, 2008, 01:10 AM
Sorry, but I really don't see the novelty in taking a single or a few spaces out of some words to combine them. In fact it's annoying seeing so many letter together. Perhaps if I grew up reading it like that, it wouldn't bother me, but I didn't, and I see no real good in it.

astuarlen
Jul 11, 2008, 01:27 AM
Yeah, it's a pretty cool morphological feature. Interesting how certain languages, like Inuktitut, off the top of my head, are so strongly synthetic.
I'm quite interested in certain aspects of linguistics and especially how language is perceived and discussed. Having only taken one linguistics course at university (sadly), I mostly get my info from some of the completely awesome language blogs (Language Log, Language Hat, Separated by a Common Language, etc).

ShinMaruku
Jul 11, 2008, 01:37 AM
OH FUCK I DIDN'T KNOW THIS! WE NEED TO TELL EVERYONE!

English is the bastardized child of Anglo-saxon, old Norse, French, a bit of German, numerous Celtic languages, and Latin. That said, compound nouns exist in English but are often hyphenated, similar to the adjectives blue-green or yellow-orange.
Basically English is when Norman raped Anglo-saxon. With those two the other references entered.

That said English>all