PDA

View Full Version : PSU PSU: Will it suffer from release of PSP?

Aries2384
Jul 11, 2008, 08:29 PM
Mainly, Topic. Do you think it will suffer from ST's release of Phantasy Star Portable? Or maybe it already has started to suffer from it? Discuss.

Kinako78
Jul 11, 2008, 08:31 PM
In my case, no, cause I don't have a PSP. :(

Zantra
Jul 11, 2008, 08:32 PM
I think it will suffer from the release of any game, not just PSP.

Heck, I plan to spend most of my time playing Soul Calibur 4 online with my Create a Soul characters, when that comes out for PS3/Xbox 360.

Aries2384
Jul 11, 2008, 08:32 PM
LoL, let me rephrase. I'm not asking if it will suffer form loss of players, I'm asking if the splitting of resources (man-power, time, money, programmers, etc etc) will affect Sega's ability to make good things happen for PSU. (not portable)

Zantra
Jul 11, 2008, 08:34 PM
LoL, let me rephrase. I'm not asking if it will suffer form loss of players, I'm asking if the splitting of resources (man-power, time, money, programmers, etc etc) will affect Sega's ability to make good things happen for PSU. (not portable)

No, because PSP is offline only, and everything we are getting in the game (if it even comes to America) is going to be on the UMD.

They won't need man power, or programmers, or etc... because it's a complete game.

HadesAlmighty
Jul 11, 2008, 08:40 PM

something has already effected there ability to make good things happen on this game long before the psp version

Lyrise
Jul 11, 2008, 08:54 PM

Not at all. Remember, Sonic Team isn't developing this game; Alfa System is.

AerisZeal
Jul 11, 2008, 09:12 PM

Not at all. Remember, Sonic Team isn't developing this game; Alfa System is.

Not to mention the game is already fully developed, if they're planning a release by the end of this month all that's left is printing and distribution. There's nothing to sway ST's attention away from this (PSU) except their own ineptitude. :wacko:

bLOODSAW
Jul 12, 2008, 12:06 AM

Heck, I plan to spend most of my time playing Soul Calibur 4 online with my Create a Soul characters, when that comes out for PS3/Xbox 360.

Looks like i'm not the only one... :D

Ken_Silver
Jul 12, 2008, 01:09 AM

No, because Alpha Systems made PS:P and Sonic Team made AOTI.

The levels of weapon design and functionality show you this.

But yeah, the release of any big game (I.E. SCIV) will cause the drop in the player base of PSU. However, in the release of PS:P, expect a slight rise in the player base, the result of PS:P fans who are now looking for more and are unaware of the latest and current screw ups of Sonic Team.

Edit 1: See you there on SCIV, folks

Edit 2: PS:P will have Downloadable Content in the form of more missions to do.

Danny_Dark
Jul 12, 2008, 04:46 AM

I plan to spend most of my time playing Soul Calibur 4 online
with my Create a Soul characters, when that comes out for Xbox 360.

SEGAC: Because Good Business is an Oximoron for Us.

Kelvie
Jul 12, 2008, 10:03 AM
PSU could at least "lose" one player when PSP come out of Japan : me.

I may or may not definitly drop PSU for PSP via xlink kai depending of the quality and contents of the said game.

Lord Rage
Jul 12, 2008, 11:16 AM
Well if they added more missions on a regular bases (like they should) players wouldn't be lost. But I can see people leaveing but the 360 version will be the better version.

Ruru
Jul 12, 2008, 01:01 PM
to the OP. PS:P can't really bring PSU down any further than it is in terms of Sega's intervention.

as for people leaving PSU for PS:P i dont see that happening. it's an offline game that has alot of backwards items you can get for your PSU character. only thing it has is multiplayer and i'm not even sure alot of people are going to get it for the actual gameplay/story.

not only that but i dont even know alot of people that own a PSP because of the costs and lack of good games for the system itself. I myself dont own a PSP and wont buy one for just one game so i can get Whitill wings on a game thats already being flushed down the toilet.

RemiusTA
Jul 12, 2008, 02:12 PM
Mainly, Topic. Do you think it will suffer from ST's release of Phantasy Star Portable? Or maybe it already has started to suffer from it? Discuss.

Ive stated before that if ST has any future plans with PS2/PC psu and PSP, then the release and support of Phantasy Star Portable will in fact be the deathblow of our version of PSU.

Reason being, there isnt even TALK of a US/EU release of phantasy star portable. In an interview, the japanese developers said the near future of PSU will revolve around connectivity and interaction with phantasy star portable. (bullshit future if you ask me, but this is mediocre SEGA we're talking about.)

So yes, if anything serious is planned for Phantasy Star Portable, then we wont be getting any of it. That means the inevitible death of PSU.

For us, anyway.

ErtaiClou
Jul 13, 2008, 11:32 PM
Look at the brightside, PSUp might give people a renewed interest in the game series.

Ken_Silver
Jul 13, 2008, 11:53 PM
Ive stated before that if ST has any future plans with PS2/PC psu and PSP, then the release and support of Phantasy Star Portable will in fact be the deathblow of our version of PSU.

Reason being, there isnt even TALK of a US/EU release of phantasy star portable. In an interview, the japanese developers said the near future of PSU will revolve around connectivity and interaction with phantasy star portable. (bullshit future if you ask me, but this is mediocre SEGA we're talking about.)

So yes, if anything serious is planned for Phantasy Star Portable, then we wont be getting any of it. That means the inevitible death of PSU.

For us, anyway.

Seems like you're counting us down and out before we've gotten the 10 count, buddy. If what you said is true about the future content involving connectivity to the PS:P, then we are more likley to get it then. While the servers have a very low population, there's been no talk about shutting down our servers yet either.

If we DON'T get it, then the US/EU servers are dead. Not the reverse. Plus, since the 360 version is already out of the PS:P loop, you have to be really careful, because they would be in the same boat. Do they get the axe soley because of Microsoft?

It's all too early at the moment and we won't know a thing until SEGA/SEGAC rears its ugly head.

GlowSticks
Jul 14, 2008, 02:32 AM
No, but maybe.

I don't own a PSP either, not going to go buy one anytime.