PDA

View Full Version : Can US Sega change the control scheme?

XenoNinjaX
Jul 12, 2008, 01:23 AM
or rather, fix it? my main grip with PSU was how you're only allowed to put 6 weapons in the weapon palette, when they constantly needs to be changed via the main menu whenever pp runs out or moving on to the next mission(pain in the ass for rangers). it's really an easy fix, but sonic team didnt do squat and made this issue even worse for PSP by limiting the weapon selection to scroll downward direction only via R button. yes i know that i can use d-pad to scroll up and down, but then i wouldnt be able move while doing it.

so my recommendation to US Sega before publishing this game is this

L+R to scrolling up and down

while holding X button to pop up the weapon palette(probably will be circle button for US release), press square button to switch to item palette. press square again to go back to weapon

while holding X, press triangle to use photon charge to currently equipped weapon. or

while holding X button, press circle button to switch to the next weapon in same catalog.
example- if you have a spear in the 1st slot out of 6 weapons in weapon selection screen, pressing circle will switch that to another spear in your inventory. no need to open up a menu, go to item, select a weapon, out of the menu, and then equip.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/xenoninjax/palette-12.jpg

this is extremely handy once you run of pp and you dont want to spend $$$ on pp refills, or simply want to switch to different weapons.

edit-give me an option to use d-pad as shortcuts, instead of camera control. i never used it and use L button to fix whenever i need to change the view.

Chuck_Norris
Jul 12, 2008, 01:44 AM
They can't change it. It's not even made by Sega.

Kizeragi
Jul 12, 2008, 06:26 AM
I think the button scheme is near perfect, a minor flaw or two, but I like it.

Ken_Silver
Jul 12, 2008, 12:09 PM
I also don't have a problem with the control scheme. Two things did bug me, but not anymore:

1) Why is O confirm and X cancel? A little strange to start...
2) The select being FPS. Granted nothing else makes sense, its still hard to use with my big fingers. XD

strikershadow
Jul 12, 2008, 12:24 PM
I like the pallette as it is, i wish there were more then 6 slots tho... your setup made me think to hard to understand it. but thumbs up on the effort nice to see people who think of ideas to better it.

ashley50
Jul 12, 2008, 12:31 PM
2) The select being FPS. Granted nothing else makes sense, its still hard to use with my big fingers. XD

That's common for JP based games.

O is always the confirmation
X is always Cancel

so when i play JP version of some games I know already which button is which.

also...why do you want them to fix things if if doesn't suit to your liking?
You're so demanding...

Ezodagrom
Jul 12, 2008, 12:44 PM
IF there will be an english version, I'm almost certain that the controls will be different (at least the O to confirm and X to cancel will definitely be changed).

beatrixkiddo
Jul 12, 2008, 12:46 PM
Yeah, Final Fantasy 7 had the JP-style O and X before Square realized it confuses US gamers and went to what we consider "normal" O and X for the rest of the Final Fantasies :3

Dragwind
Jul 12, 2008, 01:10 PM
Fun facts indeed.

Kizeragi
Jul 12, 2008, 03:06 PM
Yeah, Final Fantasy 7 had the JP-style O and X before Square realized it confuses US gamers and went to what we consider "normal" O and X for the rest of the Final Fantasies :3

+ Metal Gear series. xD

ashley50
Jul 12, 2008, 04:56 PM
+ Metal Gear series. xD
they changed it on MGS4 though...:l

ChRiX
Jul 13, 2008, 03:24 PM
edit-give me an option to use d-pad as shortcuts, instead of camera control. i never used it and use L button to fix whenever i need to change the view.

No thank you. After playing Monster Hunter for over a year, removing camera control from the dpad would be horrible. Most MH players will use their index finger on the dpad while moving the player with the analog stick.

Masterflower
Jul 13, 2008, 04:18 PM
amen to ChRiX, your camera was your best friend in Monster Hunter, the control schemes for this game are perfect and easy to get used to, after playing JP games for a long time, playing this game at the start was very easy ^_^ Also i have yet to use a PP charger, this game is like playing the offline version of PSU only a lil more easier to lvl stuff

AnamanaAU
Jul 13, 2008, 06:31 PM
OP needs to learn to play.

Kizeragi
Jul 13, 2008, 06:38 PM
No thank you. After playing Monster Hunter for over a year, removing camera control from the dpad would be horrible. Most MH players will use their index finger on the dpad while moving the player with the analog stick.

This, I've played through Monster Hunter since the PS2 release date, a good 4-5 years. Using the camera isn't THAT hard. :/

mvffin
Jul 13, 2008, 08:27 PM
Its not that hard to get the hang of, even if you're not a hardcore MH'er.

Lonigan
Jul 14, 2008, 12:12 AM
Nothing wrong with the control scheme, user friendly + 100 happy times!

Hiroko
Jul 15, 2008, 12:46 PM

That makes perfect sense if you ask me...Let's think on it...X=cancel and O=Confirm.
I always thought the other way around was confusing...
But it IS tough to change it around once you played the game a couple thousand hours... (I'm always getting mixed up when changing from PSP to PSU and vice versa.)

Akaimizu
Jul 15, 2008, 12:52 PM
O and X are that way because that is the Japanese standard. They always have adopted the Choose as the Right button, and the Cancel as the left button. (Or in this case, the bottom button). For the west, it's the other way around.

On the other hand, I'm pretty good with the control scheme. I've used it before, actually. I would expect a couple of buttons to swap if it gets released over there, though.

The main reason for the scroll in one direction thing is because the PSP is missing two trigger buttons. If holding the pallette button, the D-pad moves the pallette cursor in any direction you want. Still, for speed, most will adopt the single directional Trigger method and just speed up their button presses.

Thank goodness THIS version isn't plagued with the same slowdown, so far. So I don't think there really is a good fix for this. They did the best with the hardware they're given.

D1ABOLIK
Jul 16, 2008, 01:49 AM
This, I've played through Monster Hunter since the PS2 release date, a good 4-5 years. Using the camera isn't THAT hard. :/

But VERY uncomfortable. I have spent many hours on MHF2 and its not hard to utilize the camera, but it still sucks.

DreXxiN
Jul 16, 2008, 07:12 AM
O confirm X cancel for the win. Welcome back, my classic MGS controls xD

Maverynthia
Jul 16, 2008, 12:27 PM
I don't know why they changed it in the first place. For the SNES - A is confirm and it's on the outside. I hope they have button layout change. I certainly want the X - cancel, O - confirm.

Akaimizu
Jul 16, 2008, 12:42 PM
Not sure, myself. Western consoles never dictated those button configs before the Japanese consoles did. Technically, the Japanese could've made it that way from the very beginning and thus save any issues of switching back and forth.