PDA

View Full Version : DVD Packaging: More Fun Than Surprise Oral Surgery!

Eihwaz
Jul 14, 2008, 03:31 PM
Now, this might seem like an odd topic for a rant, but bear with me. I've spent a good chunk of the summer working for my aunt and uncle in Arkansas. They run a title company, and I help them out with some basic-level stuff. Some days, however, I stay home and organize their large and unwieldy collection of CDs and DVDs. I get paid the same no matter what I'm working on, so it's a pretty good deal.

Getting through the CDs took about a week, but wasn't too complicated (with the possible exception of classical music compilation box sets, egad!), and getting through all the Blu-Rays didn't take more than an afternoon. I have now moved onto the biggest hunk of work: the DVDs. We're talking a closet full of 'em, plus some boxes full of 'em, and then another cabinet under the TV full of 'em. As I've been alphabetizing, the sheer idiocy of some DVD packaging becomes blindingly apparent.

First, DVDs with latches/clasps on them. Who on earth thought it would be a good idea to put clasps on a DVD case? I have never had an issue with a regular DVD snap case opening when I didn't want it to, but the latches always seem to get in the way. It's one thing when they at least lay flat and latch securely, but it's a whole 'nother fucking ballpark when they don't stay closed. When I'm putting Blu-Rays in a drawer, it's quite frustrating when I can't close the drawer due to some needless latch not closing all the way.

Next, slipcovers. If you want fancy holo-foil graphics on the cover, why not just print the paper insert with it, rather than making a totally unnecessarily slipcover? It's even worse when the slipcover is completely identical to the stuff underneath, save for a bit of extra gloss. However, it's worse still when all the relevant information to what's included in the set is printed on the slipcover and not the actual insert. Slipcovers become especially heinous when combined with the next issue...

Those sticky seals. Oh, how I hate those motherfuckers. I can completely understand having a sticky seal on the DVD, to help keep it sealed up. However, it boggles my mind when I try ever-so delicately to remove one, only to have it leave a nice big swatch of sticky bullshit. As mentioned above, it's quite frustrating when your DVDs stick together. Don't even get me started on when a DVD will have three god damn seals on it. One is enough.

Next, the ever lovely cardboard case. A lot of Stanley Kubrick films seem to come in these, as well as lots of random films from the 70's. These are a bit different in construction than the typical plastic snapcase; they consist of a sheet of cardboard with the various graphics/text screened directly on it, and a sort of plastic framework that sticks out. The cardboard cover is kept in place by a large, Trapper Keeper-esque latch that clicks down. Let me explain something. These motherfuckers do not play well with regular DVD cases. Oh, no. God forbid I want to put a regular snapcase next to one, as it will, without fucking fail, catch on the stupid plastic latch. I haven't even mentioned how they are not nearly as durable as regular slipcases, and are thus much less suited to protecting your DVDs. I don't know who decided that cardboard, a very much moisture-absorbing material, would be well suited for long-term storage of optical media discs.

Another peeve of mine is the classic unwieldy box set. Being slightly neurotic, a huge fan of movies in general, and having a total fetishistic love of box sets, the good old unwieldy box sets makes me want to just start burning down buildings. A good case in point would be the Dawn of the Dead: Ultimate Edition (http://www.amazon.com/Dawn-Dead-Ultimate-Ted-Bank/dp/B0002IQNAG/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1216067043&sr=8-2) set. True, it's a lavish and very attractive box. However, because of the lovely multiple foldout sections, it's quite a bit of work to balance the damn thing on your arm if you want to, god forbid, take out one of the films and watch it. Even if they are a bit less luxurious, thin-sized slip cases that come in a glossy cardboard case are much easier to manage than big hulking box sets. I'm not opposed to the idea of a "gift set", but it'd be nice if the interior wasn't some complex unfurling monstrosity that requires preternatural psychic abilities to open without dropping it and breaking all the discs.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go back to mainlining caffeine and figuring out if In the Shadow of the Moon should go with the I's or the S's, and other similar issues that no one else on the face of the planet gives two shits about. :wacko:

Sekani
Jul 14, 2008, 04:39 PM
An entire rant about DVD/CD packaging, and not one mention of the plastic shrink-wrap?

Nitro Vordex
Jul 14, 2008, 04:44 PM
Are you kidding? Shrink wrap just needs a butter knife to get rid of. >_>

Sord
Jul 14, 2008, 05:19 PM
i always find the trivial rants like this to be more entertaining than the super serious shit

Eihwaz
Jul 14, 2008, 05:55 PM
An entire rant about DVD/CD packaging, and not one mention of the plastic shrink-wrap?The only time the plastic shrink-wrap bothers me is when it mysteriously, and beyond all logical explanations, clings to the spine in the most awkward and annoying patterns possible, driving me to intense rage.

i always find the trivial rants like this to be more entertaining than the super serious shitI'm glad you were duly entertained. I aim to please.

ABDUR101
Jul 14, 2008, 10:53 PM
Actually, shrink-wrap done wrong pisses me off. When it sticks to the cover or on the edges, melted to the DVD case, causing you to scrap it off(because that shit annoys me to no end!).

Also, DVD cases with clasps, as mentioned. Redundancy? The DVD case snaps shut, and then it has an anti-everyone double-clasp? WHY? Who designed that? They must have all their shit at 2-year old level appearently and need a simple locking mechanism. It reminds me of putting spoons through the handles of under-counter cubbards to keep kids out of pots/pants/cleaning solutions. Just enough to keep simple-minded folk out, but enough of a pain in the ass for everyone else.

AlexCraig
Jul 14, 2008, 11:36 PM
I've only rarely had trouble with the shrink wrap. Overall, it comes off pretty easily for me.

Don't think I've often (if ever) seen the kind with clasps.

McLaughlin
Jul 15, 2008, 12:35 AM
I hate the sticky crap too, not so much because my cases stick together, but just because the gunk mars my case. Same thing with the slip covers. Granted, the only case I have one for is Perfect Dark Zero, but I have to be super extra careful not to let it get bent or scratched or what have you. Though, I have found rubbing alcohol to be somewhat effective for removing the sticky gunk.

Blitzkommando
Jul 15, 2008, 03:48 AM
DVD packaging tends to make anyone rage that has had to deal with it for any extended period of time.

In my family, my mother is the movie hoarder. Since the DVD came out she has amassed approximately 3,000 DVDs, many are in sets or series, so about 2,500 boxes. I've opened most of them. And, yes, all of those things piss me off.

Some other things that piss me off are those cheap-assed brittle plastic DVD (and CD for that matter) cases that all the little prongs for holding the disc snap off. In shipping. Before I ever even get the chance to open the case, sometimes scratching the disc to hell and back. Lovely.

Another thing that makes me angry when it comes to DVDs are the labels. Frankly I would love it if the spines were just easy to read, high contrast, labels with the movie title so I could easily organize the grotesquely huge collection of them. But, no, some have nothing written on the side, others are colors and shapes that blend together making it so I can't read the movie title without being near it or just plain holding it at some funky angle. I'm obsessive compulsive and when it comes to books, games, and movies they have to be in alphabetical order. Anything that prevents that from being an easy task makes me rage.

Seority
Jul 15, 2008, 03:50 AM
I hear you d00d. Sticky stuff and me don't mix. (Unless it's jelly ;) )

The stickiest things I hate most is the sticky security bars in manga books. Weither it be big or small, both do the same damage. Why whould you put a sticky sticker like thing in a book? Not even the cover! In the very middle of the book, in the middle of the page!!
1) The strips/stickers cover up pictures and text that need to be read to understand the story!
2) Tearing the strips/stickers out, because there's no other way to get them out, just rips the page and you still can't read it!! (//_-)
3) The books value is decreased dramatically. The second that thing gets slapped into the book, it's no longer concidered a collectable. I found that out the hard way when I attempted to sell a collection I had. ^^; ONE. Just ONE had this stupid thing it...

It's also fun to buy a brand new DVD, open it up just to see a big scratch in it. "Must of been on the bottom of the pile when it was shipped, for the tenth time." @_@'

Eihwaz
Jul 15, 2008, 09:42 AM
Some other things that piss me off are those cheap-assed brittle plastic DVD (and CD for that matter) cases that all the little prongs for holding the disc snap off. In shipping. Before I ever even get the chance to open the case, sometimes scratching the disc to hell and back. Lovely.Oh yeah, I hate opening a DVD only to find that it is bouncing around joyfully on the inside of the box, getting scratched to ribbons by jagged broken plastic.

This reminds me of another peeve I didn't mention in my OP, the annoyingly resilient DVD holder. I shouldn't have to bend the DVD to near the breaking point to get it out of the case, for fuck's sake. Any sort of storage that results in the DVD being bent unduly weakens it over time, and could eventually make the glued-together layers split apart. I haven't broken any DVDs yet, but when I do, I will definitely RAAAAAAAAAAGE.