PDA

View Full Version : Tom Green speaks truth

Nitro Vordex
Jul 14, 2008, 05:34 PM
"There's nothing, no redeeming quality to Mudkipz or Barrel Roll at all."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV_gP4yRhb0&feature=related

Also, I don't care how old this is, I found it GREAT.

Chuck_Norris
Jul 14, 2008, 05:45 PM
Ok, this is confusing me now. Is it pronounced "Me-me" "Me-m" or just "mem"?

Sord
Jul 14, 2008, 05:47 PM
I've heard meem and mem

Nitro Vordex
Jul 14, 2008, 05:48 PM
I always pronounced it as "meh-meh".

Sord
Jul 14, 2008, 05:59 PM
A meme (pronounced /miːm/)

Nitro Vordex
Jul 14, 2008, 05:59 PM
mim?

wtf?

Sord
Jul 14, 2008, 06:01 PM
no, it didn't copy some symbols right. Dictionary.com audio thing pronounces it Meem http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/meme

astuarlen
Jul 14, 2008, 06:03 PM
I always pronounced it as "meh-meh".

Shligger sycophant.

From the Wikipedias:

Historically, the notion of a unit of social evolution, and a similar term (from Greek mneme, meaning "memory"), first appeared in 1904 in a work by the German evolutionary biologist Richard Semon titled Die Mnemischen Empfindungen in ihren Beziehungen zu den Originalempfindungen (loosely translated as "Memory-feelings in relation to original feelings"). According to the OED, the word mneme appears in English in 1921 in L. Simon's translation of Semon's book: The Mneme.

According to Dawkins, who coined the word "meme" without knowing about mnemes, meme represents a shortened form of mimeme (from Greek mimos, "mimic"). Dawkins said he wanted "a monosyllable word that sounds a bit like gene".[4]

I don't have access to the OED online right now, but AHD agrees with the "meem" pronunciation.

EDIT: Nitro, /miːm/ is written with IPA symbols.

Nitro Vordex
Jul 14, 2008, 06:13 PM
Why not just put (meem) for it? >_>

Also, I'll still pronounce it meh meh.

astuarlen
Jul 14, 2008, 06:17 PM
If you're asking why not just use "meem" instead of "/miːm/", IPA, as the name implies, is used to provide an accurate phonetic representation of pronunciation regardless of language or dialect, as not all sounds are common to every language.
[/linguanerd wannabe]

Sord
Jul 14, 2008, 06:19 PM
If you're asking why not just use "meem" instead of "/miːm/", IPA, as the name implies, is used to provide an accurate phonetic representation of pronunciation regardless of language or dialect, as not all sounds are common to every language.
[/linguanerd wannabe]

see, this is exactly where that english major perception comes from :p

Shadowpawn
Jul 14, 2008, 06:35 PM
Poor Tom, being raided every night.

Nidramag
Jul 14, 2008, 06:48 PM
'meem'