PDA

View Full Version : Fundraisers can go die in a fire.

Broodstar1337
Jul 14, 2008, 07:30 PM
I've been meaning to post this thread all day but my blasted internet was down ever since I got home from work. So I'm gonna recount as much as I can recall... which is everything.

Since I'm probably the only person here in the United States Air Forks, let me tell you a little bit about one of our fundraisers called the Booster Club. It does periodic fundraisers such as burrito sales or whatever food sale and uses that money to help fund little things that make work not suck so much. Because hell if the military can find constructive uses for their money instead of paying $5000 for screws, I shit you not.

So today the Booster Club is selling nachos at my squadron and for whatever reason does not have a unit representative for my unit, so I'm picked to sell nachos to everyone who wants some. It wasn't a half bad gig; I got to get out of sitting around on my ass doing nothing and instead I got to sit around on my ass munching on nachos and watching the Speed network.

"LOL Broodstar you sillynanny, sounds like another day in paradise so why are you bitching?" says the PSO-W user as he/she pretends they're actually reading any of this. Call me crazy but when I'm put in a position where people want me to accomplish something, I'd like to accomplish something. But it turns out the Booster Club set up their nacho sale right next to my unit's snack bar which very inconveniently sells nachos as well... AT A THIRD OF THE FUCKING COST!

Alright, lemme tell you one of the basic fundamentals of selling a product. We're just about at the point of human history where making original content is out of the question so in order to sell a product, you have to do one of two things. 1) Make it better. 2) Make it cheaper. The problem with doing #1 is that I was given the same resources my snack bar had at their disposal (same chips, same cheese, same motherfucking chili...), but I was expected to sell Nachos with Cheese for $2.00 while the snack bar did it for 75 cents.

Luckily the folks running the snack bar were told to cease sale of nachos for that day so that I could actually get some kind of business but that's the inherent problem of fundraisers. I'm sure you remember those little blue boxes of Hershey's candy when you were at school and all that, perhaps you remember the 3-piece Reese's pack you could buy for a dollar. Well I distinctly remember being able to buy a kingsize pack of peanut butter cups for 90 cents just about anywhere else, so why would I wanna rip myself off if I can do better for myself? That's what every Airman was thinking when they were considering buying my overpriced nachos instead of two hot dogs for a buck.

The person actually managing the fundraiser for the Booster Club was about as pants-on-head retarded as anyone can get, so it didn't necessarily help the cause when I was trying to plead with her to bring down the prices of our nachos so that they're at least remotely enticing to our potential customers, and she just flat out tells me "no". She bitched that the club spent $180 on supplies and then took it out on me when I gave her less than thirty dollars, two of which came from my pocket because of how pitiful everything ended up and bought some pity chips. "$3.00 for nachos with chili and cheese is appropriate; $1.00 for nachos with chili and cheese is underpriced," she actually had the gall to lecture me instead of admitting she fucked up royally.

I realize this is a fundraiser, but you can't raise funds like this! I realize girl scouts can get away with it because they're the only one of their kind, and I suppose those kids with the blue boxes of candy have an easy ticket since it comes with the added convenience of being able to buy it right there and then, but there's just no excuse for anything I went through today. Fundraisers are subjected to competition too and when the competition has to stop functioning in order to let us raise any funds whatsoever, then something terribly wrong has happened.

Oh well, I got the last laugh. I left with my shift, leaving that bitch with cleaning three full crockpots of chili and cheese by herself.

Nitro Vordex
Jul 14, 2008, 07:59 PM
People in charge. Ignorance at its finest. And leaving the one responsible to take the heat?

I applaud you Broodstar. :yes:

MetaZedlen
Jul 14, 2008, 09:43 PM
A little bit of a head shot on that one, the last laugh always feels good.

Iduno
Jul 15, 2008, 02:31 AM
Lol its kind of funny how people seem to lose all common sense when they get to manage something, sounds like you need a new manager quick. :P

Seority
Jul 15, 2008, 03:38 AM
I remembered fundraising.
Everytime I got orders, I'd never get the food. So I had to go around town and give people back their money.
Stopped after that.

I do really hate that though, even both ways.
I've heard of people working at snack bars and things when charities decided to make a stand right next to them. (Say one that sells lemonade.) The fundraiser people actually asked the employees if they could stop selling drinks just so they could get some customers.
Kinda like, "Um no? Why don't you go somewhere where other people arn't selling drinks?" Of coursed they whined that they had a better purpose and blah blah.
I wouldn't blame your anger toward it. Their intentions are good, but acttual plans can be completely obscure.

Weeaboolits
Jul 15, 2008, 01:08 PM
I remember back when I was in boy scouts we had to sell popcorn, his would have been all well in good if people actually wanted to buy it.

CoV-Shana
Jul 15, 2008, 05:40 PM
I'm in the USAF. I completely agree with you, Brood. The crap I deal with at work is beyond retarded sometimes (well most....umm well always). I could tell hours of stories about the dumbest things I've ever had to do, but that's for another time. Just hang in there :)

Broodstar1337
Jul 15, 2008, 05:49 PM
I'm in the USAF. I completely agree with you, Brood. The crap I deal with at work is beyond retarded sometimes (well most....umm well always). I could tell hours of stories about the dumbest things I've ever had to do, but that's for another time. Just hang in there :)

Well I deploy the end of the month so that's pretty much a vacation from what I've been putting up with lately.

CoV-Shana
Jul 15, 2008, 05:52 PM
What region? (unless you can't say)

And what AFSC are you? I'm AGE.

Broodstar1337
Jul 16, 2008, 04:14 AM
What region? (unless you can't say)

And what AFSC are you? I'm AGE.

Iraq.

Comm/Nav.

Fossil
Jul 17, 2008, 09:55 PM
LOL! Brood that was hilarious. Good story, truly. I can't believe how stupid some people are.