PDA

View Full Version : Hmm....they modded the doublesave slightly since the servers

Elusive_Llama
Jan 27, 2003, 06:34 PM
Okay, here's what happened. I put in my 2nd memory card just 5 mins ago and entered the US ships with a throwaway character. I decided to test the doublesave thing and see if it will FSOD me. So...I create a game and join it.

Here's the subtle change I noticed...the second save now happens when your character is not on the screen. Remember how it was before? You'd join a game and it would save, then your character appeared and the second save would kick in. Now the two saves happen before your character appears.

I think this is significant...could it mean that Sega modded the save sequence to get the timing right? Could it be the timing of the 2nd save which had corrupted character files?

DualHydra
Jan 27, 2003, 06:35 PM
mmmmmm i have to see this cause if its true spread the word!!! so everyone can come back

Toyzferall
Jan 27, 2003, 06:36 PM
I'm not good with technalities... But I guess the change is there for a reason. I've personally never had a corruption, but for the sake of everyone else, I really hope this helps! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

SnAPPUrU-nyan-ko
Jan 27, 2003, 06:39 PM
Sounds good :3

Elusive_Llama
Jan 27, 2003, 06:42 PM
It is very easy to see if I'm telling the truth http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Just get a 2nd mem card, make a throwaway char, enter your network info, hop online and join any game. You'll see that the 1st save happens when the screen is black, then the 2nd save kicks in when you see the guild hall. After the save is done, your character appears.

Prior to this, the first save would happen, then your character appears and you could run around/whatever when the 2nd save is in progress. I know this for a fact because I did it myself before the worm attack.

KoA
Jan 27, 2003, 06:42 PM
yeh the only problem is that they didn't fix all dupe methods.I know of one that still works.

Elusive_Llama
Jan 27, 2003, 06:47 PM
Guys, my friend just hit upon something with regards to this doublesave. Remember how it was before when it only saved once? You saved when pioneer appeared but your char is offscreen, correct?

Well, the change now is the second save appears BEFORE the first save. That is, when the screen is black, that's when the 2nd save is happening (the new save Sega put in). After that, the first and original save kicks in.

Just more food for thought!

Polenicus
Jan 27, 2003, 06:51 PM
I know what they've done.

The second save is now BEFORE the original save.

Here's how it used to work:

Pioneer 2 loads up, you see the Hunter's Guild, bu before your char appears, the game saves. This was the original save. Then, they added a second save AFTER it, which appeared AFTER your char had loaded and appeared.

NOW, the black screen that appears after the loading light dance thingy has been lengthened to a second or two, and a save occurs THEN. Then the Pioneer 2 Hunter's Guild appears, and then the original save happened.

I admit I know NOTHING about the game or code or whatnot, but I'm theorizing that the fsod problem occurred because there was a brief moment between saves where you could move, execute chat bubbles and whatnot. So when the first save ended, and you tried to do something, the instructions you sent to the game got tangled up in the server's instruction to save, because the game wasn't freezing properly. So game falls down go SPLAT, and you have an FSOD.

If this is the case, the this change SHOULD fix that. But I dunno, it's just a theory.

Cloud_01
Jan 27, 2003, 06:59 PM
Sounds like a good theory to me.

BlankTK
Jan 27, 2003, 07:01 PM
When exactly was the new way implemented?

Tsukishima-Ruriko
Jan 27, 2003, 07:02 PM
That could be it, as every other time the game saves, the game freezes until the save is completed.

Always thought it was strange how the game still ran when that second save kicked in. Hopefully this new method fixes the FSOD. ^-^

CorneliusPower
Jan 27, 2003, 07:03 PM
I can vouch for that, you character DOES NOT appear until after 2nd save. I guss thats a GOOD thing? I wasnt sure.

Elusive_Llama
Jan 27, 2003, 07:24 PM
As to when Sega modded the saving sequence...here's a possible clue...

Posted by 2Xtreme on Sunday 26th, 12:17am

All my characters are gone!!! Just a minute ago, I went to join a team on Antares 8, and I warped in. The first little saving thing came up, and just as it was disappearing, another message that said "The line was disconnected. Press Start button." popped up.

He says 'warped in', which I take to mean he got through the light dance telepipe thing and saw the Hunter's Guild. Then he says 'first little saving thing', which I take to mean it didn't save when the screen was black.

What could this mean? Since there is *now* a save when the screen is black, and another save when you see the Hunter's Guild (but not your character) - I conclude that Sega must have modded the doublesave anytime from Sunday Jan 26, 12:17 midnight up until this thread's post date.

thewiredknight
Jan 27, 2003, 07:26 PM
Ok, I just got off the phone with Sega tech a few minutes ago about the problem with FSOD as a result of the double save. I discussed with the tech about the FSOD, what's causing it and what's being done as a result. This is what I found out...

Sega is FULLY aware of the character corruption
Sega Tech is appearently at work on figuring out the problem with FSOD
They are trying to remove FSOD without losing the double save
FSOD because of the double save is not a direct result of the duping, it was an accident.

The guy told me that as soon as the problem is rooted out and resolved that they will post on the official PSO board to tell everyone the servers are safe. Needless to say, till that occurs I won't be getting online or at least leaving the lobbies. Hopefully the patch will be fixed soon.

Barubary6
Jan 27, 2003, 07:32 PM
I don't notice a difference in the timing at all... it's always been that way for me.

-- Barubary

hucasts_rock
Jan 27, 2003, 07:38 PM
On 2003-01-27 16:03, CorneliusPower wrote:
I can vouch for that, you character DOES NOT appear until after 2nd save. I guss thats a GOOD thing? I wasnt sure.

it would FSOD most of the time before my character appeared...

SnAPPUrU-nyan-ko
Jan 27, 2003, 07:44 PM
No no no!
> Polenicus
Try single player offline to see how first save occured online.
The second save always occured before the character appeared.

...I think? =>_<=

Elusive_Llama
Jan 27, 2003, 07:49 PM
That's good news!
> thewiredknight

I can't wait until Sega fixes this crap!
> everyone

Barubary6
Jan 27, 2003, 08:00 PM
Great news everyone...
http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=39813&forum=4&0

-- Barubary

zerohoax
Jan 27, 2003, 08:04 PM
On 2003-01-27 16:32, Barubary6 wrote:
I don't notice a difference in the timing at all... it's always been that way for me.

-- Barubary

Same here, hasnt changed for me.

LollipopLolita
Jan 27, 2003, 08:13 PM
read the newly posted front page news

ChronoTrigga_Lost
Jan 27, 2003, 09:16 PM
On 2003-01-27 15:34, Elusive_Llama wrote:
Okay, here's what happened. I put in my 2nd memory card just 5 mins ago and entered the US ships with a throwaway character. I decided to test the doublesave thing and see if it will FSOD me. So...I create a game and join it.

Here's the subtle change I noticed...the second save now happens when your character is not on the screen. Remember how it was before? You'd join a game and it would save, then your character appeared and the second save would kick in. Now the two saves happen before your character appears.

I think this is significant...could it mean that Sega modded the save sequence to get the timing right? Could it be the timing of the 2nd save which had corrupted character files?

You dolt, its not their job to look into that stuff. It's SonicTeam's error, they were the one's who messed up. So blame them.

Elusive_Llama
Jan 27, 2003, 09:19 PM
I only know that after the server maintenance (prior to the worm attack), there were now two saves. The first save happened as I saw pioneer 2, and the second save kicked in as my character appeared. I could still run around while the save icon was on the screen.

I logged in after the worm attack and I had the same save situation as above.

Today, after trying my throwaway character and joining many games, I noticed that there were still two saves. However, one save kicked in while the screen is still momentarily black after the telepipe. Pioneer 2 appears but I don't see my character. This is when the other save kicks in. After that save is done, my character finally appears.

thewiredknight
Jan 27, 2003, 09:24 PM
On 2003-01-27 16:26, thewiredknight wrote:
Ok, I just got off the phone with Sega tech a few minutes ago about the problem with FSOD as a result of the double save. I discussed with the tech about the FSOD, what's causing it and what's being done as a result. This is what I found out...

Sega is FULLY aware of the character corruption
Sega Tech is appearently at work on figuring out the problem with FSOD
They are trying to remove FSOD without losing the double save
FSOD because of the double save is not a direct result of the duping, it was an accident.

The guy told me that as soon as the problem is rooted out and resolved that they will post on the official PSO board to tell everyone the servers are safe. Needless to say, till that occurs I won't be getting online or at least leaving the lobbies. Hopefully the patch will be fixed soon.

Ok guys just need to clear this up with the news on the front page. I called a different number than the one listed on the news page. I got a hold of Sega Customer Service and Complaints which is a DIFFERENT number from Sega Tech, the thing is that they "said" they connected me to Sega Tech but you can never be sure of what goes on when you are on hold. Anyway, point is I called a different number.

Amarant
Jan 27, 2003, 09:28 PM
Well, maybe its different on the japanese version, but its not like that for me.

If i enter a team, the first time it saves until the screen is black. Then my character shows up, and the second save is done while im in the guild. I still CAN walk between the saves.

And i was online until 20 mins ago.

Oh, and one more thing. I dont know 1 person who had this problem on the japanese version. Hmm.
I just read about the problems on messageboards.
If i ask in lobby, noone knows one too.
Like im said, im on japanese ver1.0 servers.

If this ever should happen on this servers, let me know please.

Elusive_Llama
Jan 27, 2003, 09:28 PM
You dolt, its not their job to look into that stuff. It's SonicTeam's error, they were the one's who messed up. So blame them.

I fail to see the point of your reply. All you did was show how small-minded you are by insulting me over a petty detail. Have you nothing useful to say? If you don't, then shut up and don't post stupid shit like this.

Elusive_Llama
Jan 27, 2003, 09:36 PM
I was online just 30 seconds ago, again with my throwaway. I went onto Vega and joined a game, and I got the new doublesave system. I then went onto the JP ships and joined Mintaka, then Alnilam. In all cases I got the new doublesave system.

And, out of curiousity, I logged off and went into an offline game. As it had been since I got the game, it saved when the screen was black, then I saw pioneer 2 and my char appeared.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Elusive_Llama on 2003-01-27 18:39 ]</font>

godats
Jan 27, 2003, 09:48 PM
The current double save method is the same as it has always been.

If they change it again you will know. They will take the servers down for maintenance the same as before.

Elusive_Llama
Jan 27, 2003, 10:08 PM
No, that is not true, at least for me and a few other people on this forum. I remember being able to run around while the second save was in progress. Now my character isn't on screen when the save happens. Do I sound like a broken record yet? It's because people keep saying that nothing has changed, when something obviously has. No offense to you Godats, maybe it hasn't changed for you on your end or something..

Eden
Jan 27, 2003, 10:11 PM
Or maybe its just your connection....Because I could actually NEVER run around while it saved second

RagMasterRappy
Jan 27, 2003, 10:28 PM
I haven't had a problem with the new saving scheme at all. If it was going to do something bad to me, it should have already, because there was usually a lot of activity going on when the second save was happening.

PrimateLord
Jan 27, 2003, 10:42 PM
wait a sec. Are we saying it was the fact that you could run around and stuff during the second save that corrupted so many files? Is it just me, or does that not work? Whenever we would get a new guild card, weren't we able to run around while that saved?

Domali
Jan 27, 2003, 10:58 PM
People doubt this whole changed thing. Maybe they should open their eyes? At first the second save happened when my character appeared. Now there are 2 saves before my character appears. Go check it out, the topic starter is right.

Riel
Jan 27, 2003, 11:07 PM
Yep i noticed that after reading this here...he is right,they tweaked it and you character doesnt appear until the second save is done.....i think it's fixed and unless they go back to the way it was before,it's going to stay this way.

Amarant
Jan 27, 2003, 11:08 PM
I dont say that i can walking around while it saves http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Between the 2 saves, i can walk, then the second save comes and it freezes, of course.

But the part i wanted to say in my post was, i see my character while the second save, it dont appear after the second save.

First save = screen black
second save = character in guild.

Domali
Jan 27, 2003, 11:20 PM
During the second save I see the guild but my character hasn't popped up yet.

mystic_knight
Jan 27, 2003, 11:26 PM
I've noticed that it's different too. I thought I was just imaginig that it was different, but MAYBE I'm not SO crazy after all........mwahaha.....poit!.....maybe

godats
Jan 27, 2003, 11:32 PM
On 2003-01-27 19:58, Domali wrote:
People doubt this whole changed thing. Maybe they should open their eyes? At first the second save happened when my character appeared. Now there are 2 saves before my character appears. Go check it out, the topic starter is right.

That's great and all, but perhaps before you claim that people should "open their eyes," you should read what they said. It has always saved once on a black screen(the new save), and once when the hunters guild appears(without your character on screen).

The only way that it is really possible for there two be two double save methods existing at the same time would be if it was a byproduct of connection speed.. But that isn't terribly logical in this situation.

Then again, Sonic Team has never been terribly competent with network services..so who knows.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: godats on 2003-01-27 20:35 ]</font>

Vantamiath
Jan 27, 2003, 11:53 PM
Im gonna go log on right now...

Eden
Jan 28, 2003, 12:26 AM
On 2003-01-27 20:53, iHATEpsoCHEATERS wrote:
Im gonna go log on right now...

while i was doing guild card searches really fast I accidentally deleted your card I need you to send it to me sometime ok?

Domali
Jan 28, 2003, 01:00 AM
Well see when I saw the double save when the servers first came up, they both saved one after the other. And this happened once while your character was invisible but you could see the guild and then once after your character was visible. Now its once on the black screen and once on the guild screen with no character. Thats what changed but people said that nothing changed which kind of confuses me.

Tigereye
Jan 28, 2003, 02:02 AM
Until the servers are safe, I too will remain offline. If I do go online it'll be with a dispensible character on a different memory card. Otherwise, I'll go online with my main character for the sole purpose of giving out my guild card.

BonusKun
Jan 28, 2003, 07:26 AM
Cuuuute

Yurika
Jan 28, 2003, 10:36 AM
I haven't seen any change in the double save since it went up. I think it depends on your lag, or maybe if you're joining a team or something. I almost always create a room and hope people join rather than joining a room. Every time I make a room, it saves during the black screen and then it saves right after my character pops up in the guild. I don't know if I can move around while it's doing that second save, as I've never tried it. I do know For Sure that my character is on the screen during the second save, as I've been scared to move while it's saving - usually once I pop into a room, I'm moving right over to the guild to solo a famitsu. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif Not that I'm antisocial or something, I just want to get those hildebears to drop something for me.

Skuld_0
Jan 28, 2003, 12:48 PM
i remember on the dc if i moved my little glowie thing during the loading right after you connect and it was loading the main server screen (jp/eup/us) and it would fsod me everytime...so maybe it was true if you moved your character and it send the code to do that and it messed it up while it was "saveing" or what ever.

IceBurner
Jan 28, 2003, 09:39 PM
Immediately after the server maintinence I could move during the second save, for reference I'm using a BBA with a cable connection and router. I haven't played online recently as I've gotten into Wild ARMs 3 while I wait out the save problems...