PDA

View Full Version : PSU How much longer do you think the US/EU servers will last?

furrypaws
Jul 17, 2008, 04:22 PM
I'm kind of curious. I don't see this lasting more than two years. One, in my opinion, is already being optimistic. Considering we can barely fill 2 stars on Universe 2 on the prime time, and it's an empty star on others (which is not good for the primary server), Sega can't be making much money off of this.

What's the population like on the Japanese servers? Those'll probably outlive the US/EU servers a good 2-4 years, even if the population is the same anyways.

AxelgearVII
Jul 17, 2008, 04:28 PM
Anyone who wants their characters to live long productive careers would play JP. There's no doubt in my mind and plenty of evidence in past history that the JP servers will outlive the US and go on to have much more content after the fact. It's undeniable.

BlackEyeKing
During the first few weeks of MAG all the universes were filled to about universe six.
I hope the don't just give up on the us servers but they are getting further and further behind the JPN servers.... They're not bringing MAG back because the need to catch up and they rarely ever do maintenance anymore. or at least on time.

Syl
A common misconception is that everyone plays on Uni 2. Whenever a GM pops up in game, the uni gets a star or two pretty quickly, and that's from players who care to go to uni 2. Not everyone plays on there.

But from the way things are going, if it doesn't pick up this won't last another year.

RAGNAGELPPOD
Jul 17, 2008, 04:29 PM
I'd say 3 or 4 years; If the lack of pupulation doesn't kill this game then the whole " passing through the milky way's galactic center/ getting hit by our solar sytems lv 41+ diga ( nibiru)" definetly will.

Powder Keg
Jul 17, 2008, 04:32 PM
I think the online service itself was guaranteed for five years. It's also update dependent IMO, if we were to say, receive no updates anymore from this point forward, it would die as quickly as possible.

Ezodagrom
Jul 17, 2008, 04:33 PM
JP Population:
http://moemi.mithra.to/~psu/uploader/src/psu15975.jpg

Fhin
Jul 17, 2008, 04:46 PM
O...m...g. ^^;

NGX
Jul 17, 2008, 04:48 PM
I don't see the PS2/PC servers lasting longer than two more years unless they seriously get their act together. I wouldn't be surprised if the 360 servers lasted longer though.

Ruru
Jul 17, 2008, 04:49 PM
i'm gonna say 2 years at the least. maybe 4 to 5 years at the most.

Lyric
Jul 17, 2008, 04:52 PM
I'd say 3 or 4 years; If the lack of pupulation doesn't kill this game then the whole " passing through the milky way's galactic center/ getting hit by our solar sytems lv 41+ diga ( nibiru)" definetly will.

...I think you mean the center of the galactic disk, and lining up with the galactic center...

Otherwise we'd be dead already via black hole.

Psycho_Sonic
Jul 17, 2008, 05:39 PM
I'm really surprised that there are people saying more than 2 years who aren't trolling. Are you guys really that naive/delusional?

PSU has become a joke to Sega of America. It'll be dead within a year.

Ed Lolington
Jul 17, 2008, 05:46 PM
I'm really surprised that there are people saying more than 2 years who aren't trolling. Are you guys really that naive/delusional?

PSU has become a joke to Sega of America. It'll be dead within a year.Thats not to out of the question on PS2/PC but lols at the thought of it happening on 360.

2 full universes and then some isn't just going to go away in a year. Nice try though I guess.

furrypaws
Jul 17, 2008, 05:49 PM
A common misconception is that everyone plays on Uni 2. Whenever a GM pops up in game, the uni gets a star or two pretty quickly, and that's from players who care to go to uni 2. Not everyone plays on there.

Not everyone plays on Uni 2, but I can pretty much guarantee that there's not more than 50 people all together on the other 17 servers.

And, wow. The Japanese servers...;-;

You can bet if there were some way to import my character over, I probably would in a heart beat. But I can't, so...

landman
Jul 17, 2008, 06:00 PM
I say four years at least, and the day it gets offline it will be the day to stop playing it, I will not care for my data character

Alastor_Haven
Jul 17, 2008, 06:04 PM
Three

SStrikerR
Jul 17, 2008, 06:09 PM
It would be nice if they gave us a way to import our chars over to JP, that way they could just shut down the us/eu servers and gain another few stars. It's actually a win win situation (mostly). We, the players, win because we get to keep our chars and items AND would become part of a MUCH MUCH larger community. Sega would win because closing down the servers would probably save them quite a bit of money that, in my opinion, is being wasted on us.

Kinako78
Jul 17, 2008, 06:10 PM
Not everyone plays on Uni 2, but I can pretty much guarantee that there's not more than 50 people all together on the other 17 servers.

During the Phasion Show I attended recently, Uni 9 actually had one star filled, as well as the usual two stars on Uni 2.

As for my vote, I said three or four years.

Para
Jul 17, 2008, 06:30 PM
A common conception is that most players play on Uni 2.
Fixed. :wacko:

Mikura
Jul 17, 2008, 06:45 PM
I'd say about a year....two tops. Depends on how many updates we get between now and then. I know it's impossible, but I really wish they'd merge the PC/PS2 servers with the 360. It still wouldn't come remotely close to approaching the JP population, but it'd be enough to keep the game going for a few more years.

Koji1m1
Jul 17, 2008, 06:50 PM
well, i probaly say 2 or 3 years at best if sega can stop 1/2 assing its community as for ryan's post, tht would be a good idea but we wont really know if the japanesse people can actaully speak english or not. making working together hit or miss if you ask me. but yeah it depends on sega mostly if they wanna continute sopporting PSU so i guese 2 or 3 years since theres still stuff to look forward to and the gameplay is still fun.(with people that is)

Broodstar1337
Jul 17, 2008, 07:18 PM
A year.

Rayokarna
Jul 17, 2008, 07:29 PM
Next week

HELLBOT
Jul 17, 2008, 07:38 PM
I'm kind of curious. I don't see this lasting more than two years. One, in my opinion, is already being optimistic. Considering we can barely fill 2 stars on Universe 2 on the prime time, and it's an empty star on others (which is not good for the primary server), Sega can't be making much money off of this.

What's the population like on the Japanese servers? Those'll probably outlive the US/EU servers a good 2-4 years, even if the population is the same anyways.

erhm... on the 360 OFF prime time universe 1 is barley accessible and at prime time univese 3 gets just about 2-3 full stars and a star outline everytime

HELLBOT
Jul 17, 2008, 07:43 PM
It would be nice if they gave us a way to import our chars over to JP, that way they could just shut down the us/eu servers and gain another few stars. It's actually a win win situation (mostly). We, the players, win because we get to keep our chars and items AND would become part of a MUCH MUCH larger community. Sega would win because closing down the servers would probably save them quite a bit of money that, in my opinion, is being wasted on us.

theres a HUGE flaw in the plan i'm pretty sure that alot of people aren't willing to learn japanese just to play a game

HELLBOT
Jul 17, 2008, 07:48 PM
I'd say about a year....two tops. Depends on how many updates we get between now and then. I know it's impossible, but I really wish they'd merge the PC/PS2 servers with the 360. It still wouldn't come remotely close to approaching the JP population, but it'd be enough to keep the game going for a few more years.

i agree 110%

Aorre
Jul 17, 2008, 10:25 PM
One year and one month. :)

Omega_Weltall
Jul 17, 2008, 10:30 PM
i say less than 6 month if this bullshit keeps up

autumn
Jul 17, 2008, 10:49 PM
I figure about a year, maybe two dependent on how the game is handled from this point. At least PC/PS2 side. 360 has some safety because I believe both US and JP (the like 200 of them) play on the same servers.

I don't think the US/EU and JP servers will EVER be merged after playing over there. The economy is much different for one. I don't know if it would upset the JP players as a whole to have us seeing as I've met both really nice people and boot you from the party people. The whole feel of the game is not like here either, it plays the same just a change in the community atmoshere :D

pinkace
Jul 17, 2008, 11:31 PM
Can we play on the JP servers from 360? i have seen japanese characters in our uni's

ashley50
Jul 17, 2008, 11:34 PM
Can we play on the JP servers from 360? i have seen japanese characters in our uni's

aren't US/EU and JP 360 share the same servers? ;l

also....we'll just have to wait and see how this server will hold up.

Ruru
Jul 17, 2008, 11:34 PM

jp/na are already connected on 360. you guys already use the same servers

pc/ps2 is JP majority.

Mikura
Jul 17, 2008, 11:55 PM
jp/na are already connected on 360. you guys already use the same servers

pc/ps2 is JP majority.

Kinda gives you an idea too of just how much more popular the PS2 platform is over in Japan compared to the 360. No love at all for Microsoft over there. lol

ChaoStrike777
Jul 18, 2008, 01:39 AM
I personally think that this game wil last for 9 more months unless one of these happen, then the life will change dramatically.

+ Updates start become more common ( +6 months)
+ M.A.G comes back (+1 month)
+ Sega finally fixes MOST of their glitches (+ 3 months)
+ Sega Starts advertising (+ 4 months)
+ Sega starts listening to the people ( + 12 months & the Mastercard announcer saying Priceless)
- Sega remains lazy ( - 5 months)
- Better games come out like RE 5 and GoW2 (Instant Death)
- Sega can't fix their errors and instead more errors come about (-3 months)
- The GM's continue to beat around the bush with information, and create the Spotlight event (-2 months)
- WoW becomes free to everyone ( Instant Death)
Just to name a few.....

I think that PSU is going to die, very painfully within the next 6 months.

BFGfreak
Jul 18, 2008, 01:54 AM
Kinda gives you an idea too of just how much more popular the PS2 platform is over in Japan compared to the 360. No love at all for Microsoft over there. lolAparently not much love for sony either, otheriwise they'd all be on PS3's.

Danny_Dark
Jul 18, 2008, 05:22 AM
Oh my..., what will happen with our character Data ?...will it be Lost ?

Neith
Jul 18, 2008, 06:31 AM
1-2 years, more towards the former if ST don't get back on track soon.

If there is a 5 year plan, I can see the remaining 2-3 years being like PSOBB with no updates at this rate.

darkante
Jul 18, 2008, 06:44 AM
At this phaze, at least a year.
I donīt think they wanna abandon to soon

I just hope ST would take some days on them to put up a huge huge update, as long as itīs done and without a problem.
And if they actually balanced the V1 mission to compete with WB rewards and effort.
Then hopefully WB will be abandoned and then people will most definitvely flourish back and we will get back to the good old times. :S

zandra117
Jul 18, 2008, 06:58 AM
In PSU's case I think the community will abondon it before Sega does.
1 year

Abashi76
Jul 18, 2008, 07:43 AM
From what I heard, 360 is merged with PC/PS2 on FFXI; why not do the same here? If Microsoft allows it, then its up to Sega.

josher_09
Jul 18, 2008, 07:59 AM
i think xbox longer than 6 years cause i dont anytime soon its gonna drop down to the us/eu ps2/pc server population i see it lasted more than what you think!!! well im on both xbox 360 and japan ps2/pc so its not a big deal to me and when event time comes there usually 2 to 3 servers full

zandra117
Jul 18, 2008, 08:53 AM
From what I heard, 360 is merged with PC/PS2 on FFXI; why not do the same here? If Microsoft allows it, then its up to Sega.
FFXI doesnt run on xbox live, you have to install the game on your xbox hard drive and its basically the PC version with gamepad controls.

RedCoKid
Jul 18, 2008, 09:06 AM
PSU's lack of updates and GM's silence/lies indicate that Sega of JP has already decided to pull the plug. Those of you who weren't too young during the final months of Dreamcast should remember how a PR campaign acts when a product is about to die. I'll bet the NA/EU servers have til Jan 2009.

Kylie
Jul 18, 2008, 10:35 AM
Depends, really, but I think most of the people left (including me) can take a lot and would be back as soon as there's a cap raise or something. I don't see myself quitting until the end cap... unless I'm the only one left. ;|

AlphaDragoon
Jul 18, 2008, 12:13 PM
Aparently not much love for sony either, otheriwise they'd all be on PS3's.

ROFL. :-P

Japan HATES the PS3. Matter of fact, unless your name is "Wii" you had better be a handheld (which are by far the dominant systems) or you aren't selling squat over there these days.

radical_ryan
Jul 18, 2008, 12:35 PM
it will be like pso it will on as well as the psp one 4 a bit then sega will kill psu (soz but who can blame then i mean Photon on tea cups and well all the items in the world) ;)

Noblewine
Jul 18, 2008, 04:39 PM
I hope it stay up. I wish people who hate the game so much would stop trying to ruin it for others and leave. If they don't like it then why don't they cancel their subscriptions and go play something that's worth their time and money.

EMPYREAN
Jul 20, 2008, 03:14 AM
hmm, IF this situation whit delays, technical problems and so on keeps up then i give this game max 1 year for the pc/ps2 version, after that only the harcore fans will remain in the game.

IF the situation gets better then maybe 2 years but no more for the avrage player.

the 360 side prolly will survive 1-2 years longer than pc/ps2 simply cuz it has ALOT more ppl online.

Leah
Jul 20, 2008, 05:04 PM
pc/ps2? until the next expansion is announced. for now it pretty much costs/profits nothing, but localizing thousands of new ps2 and pc discs for a 2 star universe ain't happening. :wacko:

goud71493
Jul 20, 2008, 06:41 PM

S.T.K
Jul 20, 2008, 10:23 PM
i will guess at least 4-5 years..

they arent going to make a new game anytime soon, and the 360 servers have almost 2 unis full at any given time in the day..
and everyone knows more ppl come during updates and events

Shishi-O
Jul 20, 2008, 11:38 PM
JP Population:
http://moemi.mithra.to/~psu/uploader/src/psu15975.jpg

LOL us. Sets has waaay greener pastures.

Well did u guys see warhammer online @ E3 08' ?

Effin' A

RobTrance
Jul 21, 2008, 12:06 AM
I cant see that working. Maybe if it was PC/360 it might. but ps2 will just be left in a world of its own. (then that would cause ps2 players to go byebye.)