PDA

View Full Version : Continue PSU or New PS game?

Tagnut
Jul 18, 2008, 10:05 AM
At the moment PSU is looking quite flat being a ps2 graphics and updates (when they appear) seem to be in the form of re-skinned bosses or harder levels.

So my question is, do you think that PSU should limp along for another few years? or should SEGA be looking to bring us a brand spanking new game?

That said, would you subscribe to another PSU game?

Thoughts please!!

Cracka_J
Jul 18, 2008, 10:08 AM
No.

I will not buy another SEGA product after PSU.
Unless 2k games acquires PS rights.

Omega_Weltall
Jul 18, 2008, 10:09 AM
a phantasy star online type game? no. only way i would is if i joined the JP servers (may do that with PSU)
a single player Phantasy Star 5 non online non action RPG? OH GOD FUCKING YES I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR THAT SINCE 1996 AFTER PHANTASY STAR 4 WAS RELEASED

lostinseganet
Jul 18, 2008, 10:09 AM
It is time for a new game a game that has some massive multi player in it. 16 player coop vs the hords of the unknown. They really should make pso 2. I also think that the servers will have to be merged. The service JPN is getting vs wht we are getting will make gamers distrust sega if the servers are not merged.

RedMussel
Jul 18, 2008, 10:17 AM
We still have tons of content for PSU right now, the question here is are toy willing to wait.

Ken_Silver
Jul 18, 2008, 10:29 AM
No. Sega can't move forward until they have solved the problems that PSU have. If they do, the next game will be even more broken.

Moving on to the next game is what they did with the Sonic series and look how that's turned out so far.

And, no to those who want PS 5 or something of the like. Not only would ST screw it all to heck, in today's world, it wouldn't get past the Final Fantasy RPG barrier that Square has put up. Plus, Sega would need to add something to it that would make it unique... and they haven't. That's the issue that all RPG's are facing (even Sonic Chronicles.)

Has Sega not ruined enough sacred things already?

Kylie
Jul 18, 2008, 10:31 AM
I'd like another PS game as a next-gen game, but I still want to see PSU play out. >_>

Ogni-XR21
Jul 18, 2008, 12:48 PM
They need to make a new game. Start development now and take time to polish and test it before releasing it. PSU seems so rushed in many places which really hurt the game imo. Honestly I was shocked when I first saw how boxes are bursting or how lazy they were to fade out the chars when sitting down. It's only little things, I know, but it makes the game feel cheap.

Also AoI should have a bit more they can unlock to keep players occupied. But please Sega, take your time! POLISH POLISH POLISH!!! And don't announce the game when you just started concept phase (like they did with PSU), wait until there is a date in the foreseeable future.

chaoskila
Jul 18, 2008, 01:01 PM
lets let sega of japan decide that.
if you want my opinion, any game is overrated you should just get a hobby that will help you in life but if i said that id be hypercritical because all i can do is play games and draw.

darkante
Jul 18, 2008, 01:04 PM
There are still alot of content waiting to be unlocked, itīs just matter of doing it and not postponing it all the time.

relentless
Jul 18, 2008, 01:16 PM
Continue with PSU. There's still a lot of good stuff I'm looking forward to be released, and STILL after everything got released I still think there can be additional content, and of course it's not like the fun would go away with that. ;l

edit:
I think a new PS game would be kind of dumb. lol

Nitro Vordex
Jul 18, 2008, 01:21 PM
They'll probably try to milk this game for another 6 years(See: PSO).

S.T.K
Jul 18, 2008, 01:58 PM
theres nothing wrong with the PSU game.. its the company.
why would they start all over again on a brand new game

all they gotta do is work on their customer service

Edit:
Plus, we are only on the 1st expansion of the game,
PSO ep 1 wasnt the greatest game ever made..
but Ep 1&2: Plus was the shit!

it takes time to make a good game, they basically started from stratch with a crappy storyline, which is actually starting to get interesting(at least to me it is)

Danny_Dark
Jul 18, 2008, 02:16 PM
The End is near...(Evil Laughing)...

unicorn
Jul 18, 2008, 08:52 PM
Well I'd like to finish PSU first.

In the future, I'd like the see a new PS game though.... The thing with PSU is that it was released at a *wrong* time. PS3 (if I'm correct, wasn't PS3 released earlier?? >_>) was on its way and X360 was just new. Sure PS2 is popular and all, but that doesn't guarantee longevity.

Yunfa
Jul 18, 2008, 09:04 PM
I've noticed alot of frivolous topics in the past month.

Golto
Jul 18, 2008, 09:31 PM
Well I'd like to finish PSU first.

In the future, I'd like the see a new PS game though.... The thing with PSU is that it was released at a *wrong* time. PS3 (if I'm correct, wasn't PS3 released earlier?? >_>) was on its way and X360 was just new. Sure PS2 is popular and all, but that doesn't guarantee longevity.

Being on the ps2 is only a NA/EU problem, not a problem for the JPNs. The JPNs don't ditch consoles are fast as we do. They started working on PSU sometime around 2001~2002 so a ps3 version was out of the question.

Noblewine
Jul 18, 2008, 11:08 PM
I'm going to stick with PSU regardless of the problems.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Jul 18, 2008, 11:15 PM
PSU has a fuckton of unexplored potential, so there'd be no reason for them to start over.

Personally, I'm done after PSU; not because I'm fed up with the horrific service or anything, but because I just don't have time for this shit anymore.

BFGfreak
Jul 19, 2008, 12:07 AM
There's still so much potential for this game, and from what I know, it's easier to fix a broken product than to start anew.

This game has one of the best concepts for an MMO I've seen (every other one seems to be geared to the middle ages fantasy era) and quite frankly, if SEGA decides to just give up, I'm simply not going to spend my money with ANYTHING with a SEGA logo (arcades, games, merchendise, ect.)

APEXi
Jul 19, 2008, 12:45 AM
its like taking off a band-aid - you can either do it slow and deliberate or quick and to the point. i vote to drop this current version, go back to the drawing board, and create a new engine geared towards current gen consoles and PCs. the fact that it was designed to work on PS2 is what hurts this game the most. PSU will end eventually, sooner or later there will be a successor, a new title doesn't necessarily mean the end of PSU right then and there, they can run simultaneously (blue burst/psu).

Jian-Zero
Jul 19, 2008, 09:41 AM
Yeah, if PSU fails, I would like to swear off from anything with a SEGA title, not to mention having already been burned with another two SEGA titles, Armored Core 4 and Chrome Hounds. And I nearly bought Universe at War to boot.

What am I saying? I may regret saying that because of a new game that may be the future of SEGA's RPGs.

http://www.sega.com/games/?g=284

Already this game is making me salivate ha ha droll droll... I may even buy a Playstation 3 for this.

Urtri
Jul 19, 2008, 04:06 PM
No to the Idea of abandoning PSU and restarting. as someone said PSO wasnt excatly the best when it was released on the Dreamcast but Sega worked at it slowly but surely improving it with Updates to it such as PSO v2 (challenge Mode,lvl cap, Weaps), PSO Eps 1+2 (new classes, Areas, Weaps) and PSO BB (same again), till they where unable to really improve it anymore due to what the game could cope with
I belive that PSU it currently in a similar state to PSO v2/PSO eps 1+2 in that they made improvements but theres still stuff they can improve upon and SEGA always has the option of a PS3 release if they want to (in theory it shouldnt be to hard since they already have a Game and Graphics engine that a PS3 can use).

Also people should remeber that even Japan are still missing many items that where on the PSU Vanilla (weapons such as the Killer elite)

amtalx
Jul 19, 2008, 08:22 PM
PSO v2 was released within a year of PSO v1. We have long passed that point for PSU. Let's just face it. ST screwed the pooch. We should start hoping that SEGA collapses and is acquired by a better company. Maybe they can turn out a decent Sonic game as well. Wishful thinking though...

EtherForce
Jul 20, 2008, 01:51 AM
I don't think we need a new Phantasy Star. I mean maybe if they released some new content every now and then (other than reskins) the game would be interesting enough. Maybe if they released a demo for Windows then the PC/PS2 servers would get a decent population.

Atomic646
Jul 21, 2008, 05:56 AM
How come theirs no "Go to a different rpg?" FFXI <_<

Jian-Zero
Jul 21, 2008, 06:53 AM
I think the whole PSU engine can be redrafted into a brand whole new RPG game. I have an idea of a game that is based on cosplay and this engine is perfect where cosplayers around the world are drafted to defeat a new cyberenemy that threatens the Internet. Players can customize their characters into all sorts of prototypical anime characters, enter cyberspace and defeat the monsters that is eating the net. Kind of like the story for Nurse Witch Komiugi. PSU has one of the best character customizations and costumization and there is already quite a number of costumes options like you can do cosplay otaku fetishes like maids and shrine maidens.

DreXxiN
Jul 21, 2008, 07:08 AM
Eliminate PS2 and it'll move along or at least add HDD support..because regardless of what everyone wants to think, that is what's holding us back..

http://www.newegg.com go get a 300 dollar notebook that can run PSU considerably better than a PS2.

Gojiro316
Jul 21, 2008, 07:12 AM
I'm just fine with PSU the way it is. At least for a couple more years. Shiny new graphics wouldn't really entice me all that much and there's still lots of content to come. Everyone is always in such a rush to get all the new stuff. And after a few weeks(if that)we all complain about how we need more and more and more. I'm patient and don't really care when we get the new stuff. I loved PSO, I love PSU aaaand when a new game comes out I am sure I'll love that as well.

Ezodagrom
Jul 21, 2008, 08:13 AM
I'm just fine with PSU the way it is. At least for a couple more years. Shiny new graphics wouldn't really entice me all that much and there's still lots of content to come. Everyone is always in such a rush to get all the new stuff. And after a few weeks(if that)we all complain about how we need more and more and more. I'm patient and don't really care when we get the new stuff. I loved PSO, I love PSU aaaand when a new game comes out I am sure I'll love that as well.

One major problem of the PS2 is the lack of hard drive. No hard drive means no new content unless it's a new expansion, and even like that, it's limited to the size of a DVD. What we have instead of new content is content unlocked from the disk >.>...

Gojiro316
Jul 21, 2008, 11:44 PM
Oh yeah...well I wasn't thinking large enough as far as the PS2 players go, I guess. I've been on the 360 servers since day one, heh. Everyone on the old system is going to have to upgrade eventually..I bellieve they added that update to the PS3 that allows games that need a hard drive to be played on it. Haven't looked into it yet though, cause I've been done with Socom and never liked FFXI. That could be an option though, cause I don't care how many people feel Playstation 2 is a viable platform..it's all but dead in the water....Even if I am looking forward to Yakuza 2.

Kanju
Jul 22, 2008, 05:33 PM
I wouldn't mind if SEGA integrated the current PSU into a new game for next-gen consoles and PCs so that true updates would be possible(but honestly, I can see there being a ton of problems emerging from that) without having players' leveling go to waste, but I see that being unlikely.

Yusaku_Kudou
Jul 22, 2008, 06:30 PM
Sega needs to put a woman as the lead designer behind Phantasy Star once again. Perhaps the experience will better mirror the original series (sans III).

APEXi
Jul 22, 2008, 06:32 PM
they should put a monkey as the lead designer for the next game. makes about as much sense. /sarcasm

Shinko
Jul 22, 2008, 07:19 PM
Ok first of all anyone that's saying they should make a new one but have it like pso or a pso 2 needs to STFU. Damn the pso ages are gone. Quit dulling in the past. Ok now with that said it's time to get back to the matter at hand

I'm not sure if they should continue or make a new one. WHY? Well yes sega has fucked up many times but if they can get game up I believe they can fix that but that's not the problem. the problem is..... no one knows what a psu is. Yes we all know and of course hardcore ps fans know but the average mmo player don't know. They didn't advertise this game good enough like how they did with other mmo like WoW or AoC. Advertisement plays a GREAT part in these games and the sell and players. I believe if they did that we have way more ppl in the community.

Now they can't really do that now because the game have been out for a bit now but with a new game they could and they also could learn from there mistakes from psu. But for it to be a great game it must take time and effort on working on it. Plus it may need to only be on 3 gen systems and PC.

So since it would take time to make a GREAT ps game i think they should continue this while working on the new one.

Just a thought.....

SuperRygar
Jul 22, 2008, 08:37 PM
haha i thought a monkey WAS in charge...and ppl that tell us to stfu..should stfu. your not the boss and ppl are intitled to voice their opinions

its true tho, the advertising just wasnt there. but also,i never saw alot of WoW advertising. except maybe a random poster in Walmart or EB games. i heard more of WoW through word of mouth(and south park). there isn't enough ppl that like this game to spread it that way, Sega probably bet all it's chips on word of mouth and here we are.

i think one reason is that the game got bad reviews because of its lame-azz story mode...its so horrible. this game isnt for everybody and we cant force ppl to play something they dont like just because we want to see more shiny stars next to Uni 2.

on topic, i think they should continue PSU and just start improving stuff. i hate starting over. omg, transfer over and you get one thing...they should just work on expansions now and keep the series alive and maybe breathe some new air into it. i think the game's concept is awesome, its just not very in-depth. if they made a "new" game, wouldn't it still be the same?

APEXi
Jul 22, 2008, 09:13 PM
you forgot about those classic WoW commercials with william shatner and mr T.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7Fs7IpNVCo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hpk1dklm5GE

SuperRygar
Jul 22, 2008, 09:18 PM
HAHAHA i've never seen those. like willy really knows what he's talking about >.<

Shinko
Jul 22, 2008, 09:26 PM
haha i thought a monkey WAS in charge...and ppl that tell us to stfu..should stfu. your not the boss and ppl are intitled to voice their opinions

its true tho, the advertising just wasnt there. but also,i never saw alot of WoW advertising. except maybe a random poster in Walmart or EB games. i heard more of WoW through word of mouth(and south park). there isn't enough ppl that like this game to spread it that way, Sega probably bet all it's chips on word of mouth and here we are.

i think one reason is that the game got bad reviews because of its lame-azz story mode...its so horrible. this game isnt for everybody and we cant force ppl to play something they dont like just because we want to see more shiny stars next to Uni 2.

on topic, i think they should continue PSU and just start improving stuff. i hate starting over. omg, transfer over and you get one thing...they should just work on expansions now and keep the series alive and maybe breathe some new air into it. i think the game's concept is awesome, its just not very in-depth. if they made a "new" game, wouldn't it still be the same?

ok maybe your right.... i did come off a lil strong but i'm just so sick of ppl complaining about pso (when it wasn't even that great) but ur right it's there opinions and they are entitled to them.

Yes i do agree with you about the story..... I mean it could of been so much better.

Just keep improving you say.... well the point of a mmo is to have a lot of ppl playing it online. massive multiplayer online game......keywords massive multiplayer. so if there's not alot of ppl playing it kind of defeats the purpose. I think they should improve too but if they do that and still can't get more ppl to play then they should start over.

Garnet_Moon
Jul 22, 2008, 09:45 PM
Honestly I hope Sega and Sonic Team die when they announce the shutting down of the PSU servers. Neither has put their name on a decent game since the Dreamcast era, and PSU is proof that if you slap the name of one of their old school titles onto a product; lace it with shitty content; lock 90% of everything at launch; keep said 90% of content locked for upwards to a year; provide little advertisement; etc etc, that idiots will continue to support the company.

Really now. How many of you bought PSU because it was a new RPG? You all bought it because it had the name "Phantasy Star" attached to it. And to those new to the PS series and Sega and ST in particular, I am so very very sorry for you ever getting involved.

I used to tell people about how great this game was. But looking back, I was only trying to make the game seem better in my mind so I lied about it, and glorified it into something it wasn't. In my mind all I saw was the perfection that was "Phantasy Star" and with it being an online game, well, I didn't want the magic to die.

Sadly, it did.

Oh well, off to watch more DVDs!

SuperRygar
Jul 23, 2008, 12:24 AM
I loved PSO personally. Sure there was only a handful of levels, and it was insanely repetitive but that's why i liked it. Gaining levels, killing waves of monsters with friends, working as a team and building an arsenal of gear, and you find a little red box that could be anything! I saw PSO and enjoyed it for what it offered, not complained about what it lacked. It's kinda like if you had a baby, and it was really ugly..with like Scoliosis, Asthma, and a hunch back. You love that baby with all your heart!(no offense to anyone with that combination of illness)
Some people just want shiny graphics, 100's of different levels and endless new experiences. I love my ugly PSO baby

If they start over, I dont see how the result would be any better than PSU unless there was some drastic change in management or the development team. Maybe Sega needs to start over the company before they make a really awesome game that everyone wants to play.

I agree that how they handled the game, locking the content and being slack releasing is annoying. But maybe they have the right idea, its an MMO that doesnt force you to devote your life to it. Perhaps its you (yes you) that has to look at yourself and say..maybe i SHOULD be doing something else with my time. Instead of quitting and joining another MMO that takes over your life. I like PSU because of that, i dont have to put in 30 hours a week just enjoy what the game has to offer.

I bought PSU because its a real-time battle MMO that has alot of the things that PSO lacked. I didnt buy it cause it said Phantasy Star, if you did then next time don't be so mindless in choosing your next game. Try blockbuster first..

Shishi-O
Jul 23, 2008, 01:09 AM
better customizations personal

Better options for customizing wep/ shields.

Open world.

No locked content.

Oh, wait warhammer online/ wow does all of this,...

Segac will never create a new game until the Japanese want it.

Stop torturing yourself, play an MMO that gives u what u want.

gratefulgriz
Jul 24, 2008, 12:26 AM
non online ps games on every console would be wonderful!!

goldbrease
Jul 24, 2008, 12:53 AM
you know sega probably already has a team making a base design for the next game, i mean look at how long the designed psu behind the scenes.

ForteGunnerW
Jul 24, 2008, 12:52 PM
i would probably buy another one cus i love psu games even though everyone hates sega but i havent realy playing much psu lateley too much swg