PDA

View Full Version : Probably a little overdue, but...

McLaughlin
Jul 25, 2008, 12:57 AM
Here's to you, Trevor! You're the driving force behind most of my frustration at the moment, and I need to vent.

My brother. How do I even start this? The spawn of Satan? Not quite strong enough...

He's probably the most inconsiderate person I've met. Ever. And I get the privilege of "living" with him, though "tolerating his existence" may be a more suitable way of phrasing my relationship with him.

He's an idiot, first and foremost. He's currently attending summer school for Grade 10 Math and Science. Tomorrow happens to be his last day, which means he has exams. He just went to sleep now (currently 1:15 AM). This may lead one to believing he's been up studying. You would be wrong. He's been up playing Ace Combat 6 and CoD4. While both are fine games, I suspect the amount of mathematics and science involved in playing them is limited, and thus, not a great study aid.

Now, when in summer school, you'd think he'd try to do whatever he has to to pass, considering failing twice in one year is pretty pathetic. Further pressure to study comes from the fact that he's STILL failing math as of last week, when he finally gave my mom his report card thing.

Mom: You're failing AGAIN!?
Him: It's because of this one stupid assignment I didn't hand in because she never told us to.
Mom: Well then how did everyone else know to hand it in?
Him: I dunno, but it shouldn't be hurting my mark that bad.
Me: How many assignments have you had to hand in?
Him: Two.
Me: Well, I would think that not handing in 50%'s worth of your mark might have a bit of an impact. Maybe that's why you're failing.

Apparently, him being in summer school translates into me doing all his homework. He asks my mom for help, she tells me to do it, I tell her he needs to learn it himself, and then I get punished until I do it. Awesome. So I go up there and try to explain things to him. It's like trying to teach a French person English while instructing them in German. So, he yells at my mom for a bit because he doesn't understand something, and then I get dragged back upstairs and essentially do his homework verbally for him. Every night.

Speaking of yelling, he does that a lot. When he gets home, he yells. When he needs my mom for something, he yells. When he needs me, he yells. When I don't hear him because I'm deaf in my right ear and my headset is on, he yells louder, and louder, until my mom comes downstairs and yells at me for ignoring him. When anyone asks him to do something, he yells, and then I end up doing it.

He also appears to be under the impression that anything he sees is his. My clothes, my games, my computer, my iPod, my shoes, my bike, my wallet, whatever. When I ask for that stuff back, he yells. "You aren't using it," is usually what I get as an argument.

Why he even needs my iPod or my computer is beyond me, when he has both of those. The latter of which I'm also fixing. When he breaks it, he yells. When I tell him to fix it himself, he yells, then my mom yells, then I get punished until I do it (seeing a pattern yet?). This usually results in me wasting my day on the phone with tech support because he's managed to corrupt part of his operating system.

Other than his computer, he has really good luck with most of his stuff, which is bewildering since he treats his stuff like it's bulletproof. It's really frustrating since I do the best I can to take care of my stuff and it still breaks.

His friends. They're loud, they're obnoxious, and they're ALWAYS hungry. They're ALWAYS here, and never at their houses. This leads to having NO food in the house. Ever. This costs my mom a fortune, and by extension, me a fortune, because I help pay for things, unlike him.

One thing that REALLY irks me is that he never changes the fucking milk bag. Yeah yeah, lolCanada. Whatever. He empties the entire liter bag in thirty seconds and then just leaves the jug on the counter. Then I change it and before I even put the damn thing back in the fridge he's ripped it out of my hands and emptied it again. On the off chance he doesn't finish it, he leaves it out anyways. Sour milk. Awesome.

Every day there's something that needs to be done while my mom's at work. Usually, she tells me to do some stuff and him to do some stuff. What ends up happening is I'll do my chores, he'll say he did his, she'll come home and notice he didn't, and then flip out. This almost always end up in a yelling competition between them, and then he'll leave the house to go to a friend's (and then bring them back), and them I'm left to do everything he didn't, and deal with my infuriated mother. Oh joy.

Most of the chores are a direct result of his inability to put anything where it's supposed to be. When he takes a shower, he soaks the entire bathroom, leaves all his clothes in the corner behind the door (making it difficult to open), and he uses a new towel EVERY TIME. When he eats, all the (whatever's left of it) food is left out, all the dishes are left out, and he's usually made a gigantic mess of whatever he ate. When he does stuff outside he leaves all his equipment in the middle of the road (literally and figuratively). On the off chance he actually takes my dog out, he never cleans off his feet, and since we live in a developing area there's mud everywhere, the carpet now included.

On top of all this, my mom spoils him. 300 bucks for school sports (per sport, and he does basketball and volleyball)? No problem. 150 dollars for new shoes because he wrecked his and I hid mine, sure thing. $10.00 a day for a lunch at school because you never make your own? Alright, even though it should only cost five dollars.

All in all, I'd like to say I hate him.

I can't though, because I don't know any words strong enough to describe my feelings for him. Slowly, but surely, he's whittling away my sanity, and I don't have much left.

He's sixteen, by the way.

EDIT: Jeez, that's a bit bigger than I thought it was going to be.

Xaeris
Jul 25, 2008, 01:11 AM
Milk in a bag? Fft, commies.

Sorry about your brother, I haven't had the pleasure of having hellspawn siblings so I can't relate much. Yeah, they're minor nuisances at times, but I wouldn't dream of stashing a half dozen dimebags in their glove compartments and calling in their plates as stolen. Nope. No ideas in there by the way.

Seority
Jul 25, 2008, 04:30 AM
He must be younger.
Move out soon.
He will be useless in life.
Not to be thinking negitivly, but that's how two of DreX's brothers are. One's currently in jail for the third time. The other one is still gaining no education from his parents as they are still trying to put him into adoption, just because they are too lazy to actually raise him, even though he acts this way because they were to lazy before.
Life is sad and cruel, and sometimes you just have to deal with it.

Shiro_Ryuu
Jul 25, 2008, 07:48 AM
Seority, sometimes, I seem to think of you as one of those people who would support the one child per family law that China has, not that I would disagree with you or anything. But if your parents are doing that stupid special treatment to younger sibling that seems to be pretty common, then yeah, just send him to bootcamp, or at least, take him to the ghetto and show him what will happen to him if he becomes a failure in life due to him failing a class.

Sorry if that first comment was a bit below the belt, I just get a little irritated when people start considering younger siblings as useless.

Sekani
Jul 25, 2008, 11:32 AM
I can relate to how annoying your brother is. I can relate to how spoiled he gets too. I have a younger brother who for a long time was the same way; he disrespected everyone to get his way. And yes, as the oldest, I caught the heat for most of his actions.

The similarities more or less end there though, because to be honest your mother is too tolerant. The yelling contest would NOT be happening, period. Once my brother in a rage made the mistake of calling my mother a bitch. She literally knocked his teeth out. (She actually kept the tooth as a reminder for the next time he got too uppity.) The next day he was kicked out of the house.

The experience taught him some much-needed humility, and he grew as a person quite a bit. He's not perfect, still an annoying bastard at times, and still a messy slob, but the major issues we had in the past aren't really there anymore.

I'm not gonna bullshit you Tylor, nothing is gonna improve quickly; in fact, I don't know when you'll get a break. But eventually something WILL reach a breaking point, and then when everyone's true nature is shown your brother will be forced to respect the rest of his household or no longer be a part of it.

Shiro_Ryuu
Jul 25, 2008, 11:45 AM
Yeah, it's bad parenting more likely than not. My mom treated me and my older brother equally, and we would both get equally beaten if we did something bad. That's what younger siblings need, equal treatment to their older siblings, give them the same beatings, responsibilities, scoldings, etc, and they'll be fine.

washuguy
Jul 25, 2008, 09:14 PM
Yeah, it's bad parenting more likely than not. My mom treated me and my older brother equally, and we would both get equally beaten if we did something bad. That's what younger siblings need, equal treatment to their older siblings, give them the same beatings, responsibilities, scoldings, etc, and they'll be fine.

Exactly... That kid is corrupted... I couldnt get away with ANY of that!

"He also appears to be under the impression that anything he sees is his. My clothes, my games, my computer, my iPod, my shoes, my bike, my wallet, whatever. When I ask for that stuff back, he yells. "You aren't using it," is usually what I get as an argument."

WHAT?!?!!? You better let your boy know you're not playing... You arn't using it??? To hell with that Its YOURS. wiether or not you're using it now or 10 years from now is IRRELEVANT, again its your shit!!!! You make him give it back, thats bull. Not even an arrgument, a futile attempt to keep hold of your possesions.

Iduno
Jul 26, 2008, 07:56 AM
Your little brothers like that when he's 16?!

I thought my 13 year old brother was a pain in the arse but he's nowhere near as bad as that.

He seriously needs putting in line but sadly I don't have any advice on how to do it besides ignoring him and not obeying or putting up with your mums punishments until they get the hint which probably isn't a viable option.

MetaZedlen
Jul 26, 2008, 08:01 AM
Dude, as I have said to Tessu, you have to fight back, there are no ifs, ands, or buts about it, take the law into your own hands...

You should feel lucky that you have a younger brother and not a sister, 'cause at least you could haul off and kick his ass if you reach the breaking point, and if that day does come, then you won't care what is to follow because you will feel so satisfied on setting his ass straight.

Now, bear in mind that it may take a few tries, but if YOU set the impression that "if you fuck with me, I will fuck you up," he WILL back off. Yes, there will be times where he will still be annoying, but nobody is perfect.

Sometimes a swift punch is the way to go, even an ass-kicking, but don't do it every time something doesn't go the way you want it to.

(I speak from experience, so I couldn't lie about this.)

Seority
Jul 26, 2008, 10:44 AM
@Shiro_Ryuu:
I never said he was useless. It is a tendency that the younger child is the one to misbehave the most due to poor discipline from thier parents.
What does a Chinese law have to do with this? Please don't assume things of me, a person you don't know.

Kylie
Jul 26, 2008, 11:59 AM
I disagree with you, Seority. I have some cousins, and the order's like this.

Oldest son: Druggie / jailbird
Second son: Lawyer
Third son: Studying to be a psychiatrist

Hell, there's even my own family. :lol: My older sister has been in a lot more trouble than me (especially financially), and my younger brother has excellent grades and the most innocent track record of, probably, anyone I know. To say that the order of someone's birth tends to affect their behavior is dumb. Someone's attitude in life is completely their responsibility and shouldn't be blamed on anything like that. This ain't The Brady Bunch.

Sure, I'm sure there's some psychology involved in it, but it varies from parent to parent. Most of the ones I know would have become better parents by the last one. Sorry yours didn't?

Shiro_Ryuu
Jul 26, 2008, 06:43 PM
Thank you Kylie. I'll say this, me and my brother seem to be equally successful so far. I'm studying abroad in Japan (I'm the youngest in my family yet I'm the only one to have ever made it to the Eastern Hemisphere) and trying to be a college professor, he's trying to be a manager at a grocery store.

Oh yah Ky, I'm still out of PSU. :P

Nitro Vordex
Jul 26, 2008, 08:10 PM
On top of all this, my mom spoils him. 300 bucks for school sports (per sport, and he does basketball and volleyball)? No problem. 150 dollars for new shoes because he wrecked his and I hid mine, sure thing. $10.00 a day for a lunch at school because you never make your own? Alright, even though it should only cost five dollars.

Right here. Your brother is a spoiled idiot of a jock.

SStrikerR
Jul 28, 2008, 05:12 PM
He's 16!? Shit I've never even heard of an 8 year old being that bad. And hey he's 16 he could defend himself, so kick his ass.

Tessu
Jul 28, 2008, 08:37 PM
Terrible parenting. Sounds exactly like my family and my little sister.
I feel you, man.
I'm sorry.