PDA

View Full Version : I need a conflict for a story

Weeaboolits
Jul 25, 2008, 10:16 PM
go go

Shadowpawn
Jul 25, 2008, 10:18 PM
You wanted a cookie but you find out someone has ate the last one before you!

Weeaboolits
Jul 25, 2008, 10:22 PM
You wanted a cookie but you find out someone has ate the last one before you!I like the ssound of this one, but it doesn't quite fit the tone I'm going for.

Sayara
Jul 25, 2008, 10:25 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/Snoopychan/DanjoNoka.gif

Randomness
Jul 25, 2008, 10:29 PM
A person's fatal flaw causes him to lose everything dear to him while desperately clinging to it.

Retniwreven
Jul 25, 2008, 10:31 PM
You kick my dog.
Now my dog needs operation.

Retniwreven
Jul 25, 2008, 10:33 PM
Why you kick my dog?
You shutup you!
You know damn right!

Weeaboolits
Jul 25, 2008, 10:35 PM
A person's fatal flaw causes him to lose everything dear to him while desperately clinging to it.This one won't work, since the characters already lost what they held dear, despite fighting valiantly to protect it, their efforts went unrewarded. I can be more specific if you'd like, also.

Randomness
Jul 25, 2008, 10:38 PM
Ah. So a tragic start. In that case, the conflict can be revenge.

Weeaboolits
Jul 25, 2008, 10:44 PM
Ah. So a tragic start. In that case, the conflict can be revenge.Revemge isn't viable either, the persons responsible were already killed.

TalHex
Jul 25, 2008, 10:44 PM
if you need bad guy inspiration look up albedo from xenosaga, you can't get much more messed up then that guy...

Retniwreven
Jul 25, 2008, 10:45 PM
if you need bad guy inspiration look up albedo from xenosaga, you can't get much more messed up then that guy...

Luca Blight. The two would be such wonderful drinking buddies.

Randomness
Jul 25, 2008, 10:46 PM
Revemge isn't viable either, the persons responsible were already killed.

So what are the protagonist(s) motivations? What is going to drive the story? Create a character or situation that is the polar opposite of that.

TalHex
Jul 25, 2008, 10:50 PM
Luca Blight. The two would be such wonderful drinking buddies.

ha! those two would get along great, goddamn is albedo screwed up though...

Retniwreven
Jul 25, 2008, 10:55 PM
ha! those two would get along great, goddamn is albedo screwed up though...

They BOTH are. People of sane mind do not burn whole villages to the ground, making the survivors of the initial skirmish act like pigs before cutting them down one by one, just because of boredom.

Unless I've been doing it wrong all these years.

TalHex
Jul 25, 2008, 10:57 PM
They BOTH are. People of sane mind do not burn whole villages to the ground, making the survivors of the initial skirmish act like pigs before cutting them down one by one, just because of boredom.

Unless I've been doing it wrong all these years.

and unless i'm wrong sane people do not rip their own head off (its a good thing he can't die otherwise that would be a problem)

Retniwreven
Jul 25, 2008, 11:04 PM
and unless i'm wrong sane people do not rip their own head off (its a good thing he can't die otherwise that would be a problem)

Oh yes, I've seen them both, and they each had their moment of sunshine in that little area in my brain I keep for 'Psychotic character of the month'.

Though I enjoyed the non-censored versions of his scenes from Xenosaga, really. It makes far more sense that he cut his arm off with a knife than with a finger.

TalHex
Jul 25, 2008, 11:06 PM
aye i have yet to see that, i'm currently tackling episode 2, episode 1 was awesome though

Weeaboolits
Jul 25, 2008, 11:10 PM
So what are the protagonist(s) motivations? What is going to drive the story? Create a character or situation that is the polar opposite of that.I suppose I should elaborate some, this story is to be the follow-up to another I'm working on, I'd like to wowork on them at least partly concurently in order to avoid disparities.

The first story takes place roughly 300 years in the future on a planet called Xygre, if starts with a mysterious meteor impact near the outsklirts of the capitol city, due to strange heat signatures (or rather a lack of heat), they send a research team to investigate, shjortly thereafter a small and mysterious group called CFC surfaces, and the Hunter crew Rukyder is assigned to investigate them (the hunters are a sort of police force that generally handles dangerous crimes and the like, they act as interstellar law enforcement as well), this group proceeds to carry out a number of operations, working toward the goal of siezing control of the planet, eventually escalating to a blitz of the capitol city, ultimately CFC is stopped, but the damage left in their wake is so severe that the government collapses anyway, the hunter forces obviously are disbanded, being a division of Xygre's police force.

The follow up takes place on the neighboring planet Sylle, which wasn't a target of CFC's assault, but suffered considerable losses in providing aid in xygre's defense. I haven't quite decided much else for it sicne I can't think of a conflict yet, also, I can elaborate more on the first if necessary.

Tessu
Jul 25, 2008, 11:18 PM
A young man is trying to explore his abilities to control time with his anus; however, he finds out how limited things are along the way.

Retniwreven
Jul 26, 2008, 12:10 AM
aye i have yet to see that, i'm currently tackling episode 2, episode 1 was awesome though

Erm... You HAVE seen it. It was in the Ep1 scenes. It's just uncensored versions of his scenes.

TalHex
Jul 26, 2008, 12:19 AM
i meant i have yet to see the uncensored version of it, yeah i know which scene your referring to

Retniwreven
Jul 26, 2008, 12:40 AM
There's two actually.
One with the limb-slicing, and the other with him searching for the data in Momo.

Weeaboolits
Jul 26, 2008, 12:43 AM
less of this and more of helping me do my story kthx.

Retniwreven
Jul 26, 2008, 12:45 AM
Your story needs more barrels.

TalHex
Jul 26, 2008, 12:48 AM
don't be hasty, listening to music, reading a conversation on villains in videogames, both are a great way to get inspired, its what i do anyways

Retniwreven
Jul 26, 2008, 12:49 AM
I highly recommend the following song because it is awesome.
http://www.vgmix.com/comment.php?mode=view_comments&type=song&band_id=343&song_id=145&template=script_comment.tpl

TalHex
Jul 26, 2008, 12:51 AM
i recommend clicking on my sig, cuz it will take you to an epic music place

Skuda
Jul 26, 2008, 12:56 AM
Maybe not a main conflict, but could definately be interesting.

Have a love interest. Not just any love interest. One that doesn't actually exist. How awesome would it be if the main character was in love with a person only in his/her mind, but they didn't know it? :)

Schizophrenia ftw.

Retniwreven
Jul 26, 2008, 12:57 AM
Can they be in love with a barrel?
Like... romantically?
And with EVERY barrel they see?
I miss Ashton. ._.

TalHex
Jul 26, 2008, 12:58 AM
Maybe not a main conflict, but could definately be interesting.

Have a love interest. Not just any love interest. One that doesn't actually exist. How awesome would it be if the main character was in love with a person only in his/her mind, but they didn't know it? :)

Schizophrenia ftw.

you know i think i've actually read a book like that a long time ago

Weeaboolits
Jul 26, 2008, 01:05 AM
I'm wondering if you maybe skipped the post explaining the story's setting.

Retniwreven
Jul 26, 2008, 01:13 AM
I dunno.
They could run into some other policey organization that's somewhat corrupt or otherwise flawed, and decide to help, improve, or otherwise clean it up?

~shrug~

I'm sleepy and running on coffee. No good think much yes okay.

astuarlen
Jul 26, 2008, 01:30 AM
Carpal tunnel

Mixfortune
Jul 26, 2008, 04:15 AM
Something you may find generally useful, if you're not already aware of it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conflict_%28narrative%29

From your posts on the first page, I would've went toward a more Person vs. Self route, though from your descriptive givings, you may wish to swing more toward a Person vs. Society line, perhaps with different psychologies and understandings of your various characters sniping in from extreme directions on how to deal with the same catastrophic aftermath. Well, hell, could even toss in a few characters mostly dealing with internal issues in a Person vs. Self style, in a Person vs. Society world, where the Person vs. Society conflicts are more a background and disconnected undertone to the narrative.

Solstis
Jul 26, 2008, 11:06 AM
Trouble is brewing at the Hunter's Orphanage/Academy.

Someone has stolen all the space-cookies, and all clues point to the crater site!

Shadowpawn
Jul 26, 2008, 11:44 AM
Trouble is brewing at the Hunter's Orphanage/Academy.

Someone has stolen all the space-cookies, and all clues point to the crater site!

THIS MAN IS PLAGIARIZING! He clearly deviated this work from my copy-written screenplay "Someone haz eated the cookie!" as shown on the first page of this topic. I demand compensation post haste!

pikachief
Jul 26, 2008, 11:48 AM
Let me throw one at u at the top of my head....

Ok. There's a guy, who has a normal live with normal abilities, but a lot of weird stuff starts happening. He later finds out that his best friend he's known his whole life can control time and he just found out recently! Although his best friend starts to use his powers for evil, so this average joe must find a way to stop him from ruling over, or possibly destroying the world or time as we know it :O

idk i just kinda said w/e lol

Weeaboolits
Jul 26, 2008, 12:54 PM
Something you may find generally useful, if you're not already aware of it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conflict_%28narrative%29

From your posts on the first page, I would've went toward a more Person vs. Self route, though from your descriptive givings, you may wish to swing more toward a Person vs. Society line, perhaps with different psychologies and understandings of your various characters sniping in from extreme directions on how to deal with the same catastrophic aftermath. Well, hell, could even toss in a few characters mostly dealing with internal issues in a Person vs. Self style, in a Person vs. Society world, where the Person vs. Society conflicts are more a background and disconnected undertone to the narrative.Thanks, Mix, this is more the sort of haelp I was looking for.

I'll probably retain the lead character, who was still an idealistic rookie during the first story, and had a strong sense of national pride, so seeing his state crumble despite having seemingly snatched it from the jaws of destruction would have been a major blow, having gone from patriot to refugee, forced to abandon his lifelong home for a neighbouing world with unfamiliar customs, he'd obviously have become somewhat embittered by the world's harshness, and a bit more cynical, though he can't quite bring himself to begrudge those responsible (the primary mastermind of CFC ended up going out in a rather sad state, so he can't quite hate him so much as pity him after that).

An internal conflict'll be rather fun though, I'd like an external one as well, I have a bit of an idea now, but it needs a lot of work, and may be replaced by another entirely if a better one comes to mind.

Skuda
Jul 26, 2008, 02:37 PM
a dog.

Nitro Vordex
Jul 26, 2008, 02:45 PM
Dog dies.

Tact
Jul 26, 2008, 03:14 PM
Dog dies.

This. Right here. This would make a great conflict. :wacko:

Shadowpawn
Jul 26, 2008, 03:32 PM
The dog was really the one behind the war.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUDcSeUvkOw&feature=related

Larian
Jul 26, 2008, 03:49 PM
An authority figure is being manipulated by an outside source. He thinks what he is doing is his own ideas and are in his best interest. But it is slowly becoming his obsession and is slowly turning him into something he is not.

TalHex
Jul 26, 2008, 04:54 PM
you could always give the series the gannondorf syndrome, aka: no matter how many times you kill the villain he's going to come back in some form, in other words clones

Nitro Vordex
Jul 26, 2008, 05:00 PM
no matter how many times you kill the villain he's going to come back in some form,
Good job Tal, you just described 80% of mainstream games.

>_>

TalHex
Jul 26, 2008, 05:21 PM
Good job Tal, you just described 80% of mainstream games.

>_>

indeed

astuarlen
Jul 26, 2008, 09:00 PM
Good job Tal, you just described 83% of mainstream games.

>_>

Correction posted.

Mixfortune
Jul 27, 2008, 01:45 AM
That poor percent, it never stood a chance.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jul 27, 2008, 04:25 AM
The city named after you (what?) is turning into noodles.

Combat or reverse engineer this noodle onslaught by invaders who are closer to home than you realize. Rap it out, rap it out, rap it out now. Jump up jump up and get down.

De La Soul calls you number one in the grand(e) fin(ale). Your beanie changes color.