PDA

View Full Version : I'm Sick Of Being A Teenager.

Leviathan
Jul 25, 2008, 10:18 PM
I get stuck being known as that dumb kid that makes irresponsible choices &needs to learn. I have to be merged into that group of morons that embarrass themselves in public by doing something stupid or wearing hip clothes that in the future we will all laugh at. I get to be the ones that adults scoff at &say "Stupid teenagers." I'm in that group of kids that don't know what good for them.

"You should enjoy being a teenager, you have all that freedom."

Freedom you say? Non-existent for me! No money=Nothing to do.

We're not all stupid &don't group me into that category. Chances are I can survive being an adult &I do know what's good for me.

Solstis
Jul 25, 2008, 10:47 PM
You seem to be under the misconception that adults know what's good for themselves.

Adults tend to be more experienced about a wide variety of things, but everyone does stupid things all the time.

Teenagers just tend to be indiscreet.

Sidney
Jul 25, 2008, 11:13 PM
^ Very well said! In many ways, as the always say, age is just a number. I've met many teenagers are who way beyond their years, and I've met many adults who still have a major amount of growing up to do. It all depends on the person's own unique life experience; maturity is not as closely tied to age as people think, in my opinion. There is definitely a link, but I think it depends moreso on the individual.

So hang in there. Don't let the stereotypes get to you and just be yourself. People will see you as a mature individual if you really are one. But I understand know you feel, I have one more year left of being a teenager, and I'm relieved; it's not always fun being associated with that age group. XD

Kylie
Jul 26, 2008, 12:07 AM
I can relate a little because I've never felt my age at any age, but the grass isn't greener on the other side. A little luck and hard work makes all the difference at any age. Oh, and perspective.

MetaZedlen
Jul 26, 2008, 08:08 AM
Heh, the only thing being 18 is good for is being able to sign a piece of paper by yourself...

Anyways, don't feel bad about what others have to say about you, this is the reassuring thing: they took their sweet-ass time out of their busy schedule to say that to you...

Being a teen is kind of a stereotype, but I am aiming towards the good things about it, being that I have to surrender half of my life now to help my dad pay the bills, AND pay for my college...

You decide what you want and how you want to be in life. To give an example, I wish I could still be a kid at 18, and to tell the truth, I still am, but I know when I have to be mature, and I like to be like that, there is no better feeling than giving and getting respect from somebody.

Don't try to grow up too fast... enjoy yourself, and fuck what others have to say about you.

washuguy
Jul 26, 2008, 08:16 AM
Calm down, your time will come. At this time you should be using your teenage years to prepare for the adult world. I know what you mean, now i'm 17 and i have much more wisdom than that both my parents put together. Not trying to put them down... Not just them, but half the other adults in society, if i had the money, i'd be out living by myself or with a couple friends right now. Because of my age, people automatically assume "oh he's not smart...." Blah blah blah... Can't think for himself you know the works. But remember, the adult world is an evil place... Money, greed, hatred, power... I can go own, and yes we see those things now at our age. I've seen, or we may have seen these elements at very young ages. But in the adult world, all those elements play a huge factor. Again, sit and bide your time, thats not a place you want to be yet. No money=Rabbit S**T!!!! LOL

AlexCraig
Jul 26, 2008, 12:26 PM
You only have a couple more years, Levi. You can tough it out and not have to worry about it anymore. But really, adults do some of the same stupid crap teens do. You just hear more about it in the news and such than in the halls and classrooms.

drizzle
Jul 26, 2008, 12:52 PM
Just a couple more years before you wish you were a teenager again!

Tessu
Jul 26, 2008, 01:37 PM
Ah yes, the "being a teenager" rant. It can be very painful to be more mature than your years say, or to be more mature than your parents think you are. I'm 18, and I still have about as much freedom as a 13 year old. Me and my mom are trying to find me a job and such so I can start being of actual use, but she doesn't trust me, so I can't even drive myself. And I still live under her roof, so I have to listen to her. Basically, I'm not legally an adult under this roof, haha.

Good luck, Leviwreven. I can't say it's an easy journey.

Aisha379
Jul 26, 2008, 05:36 PM
Just a couple more years before you wish you were a teenager again!

This. I'm only 19 (20 next month) and I already wish I could go back.

Its funny how when your in your school years, you look forward to getting out of that boring place, only to enter the work force and feel like you've had a huge practical joke pulled on you, and you wish you could turn back time...

And it sounds like you're letting other peoples opinions influence your attitude too much. Who cares what they think of you? I've always been the type of person where the only opinions of me that matter, are those closest to me (even then, that varies). Getting thrown into stereotypes is no fun, but if that happens, just prove them wrong. If they don't care after that, then you shouldn't care what they have to say anyway.

amtalx
Jul 26, 2008, 10:29 PM
Being a teenager is only fun because you don't have any real responsibilities (in most cases). Once you move out on your own, putting a roof over your head and food on the table is solely your responsibility. To be honest, its not difficult, but its just one more thing to worry about.

Leviathan
Jul 26, 2008, 10:54 PM
I just hate the bullshit that comes attached to the teenager label which is;

Stupid.
Lazy.
Irresponsible.
Mischief making
Etc.

I've always been more mature than other's my age, &I understand that there are exceptions to that stereotype, but the one's that act that way are the one's that ruin it for everyone. (//_-)

Ex1: Morons get jobs, I cannot. Fine don't hire someone that knows what they're doing. I literally applied &called every place in town where they're hiring &everyone else BUT me get the job wtfs is that. (//_<)

Ex2: Getting a bad rap from everyone else. I wish I can prove that I'm not like them but no one will give the chance.

<Sigh> 4 more years of that.

ABDUR101
Jul 26, 2008, 11:21 PM
Sounds like you've hit the 'angsty teenage' phase now! You seem to have left that out of the 'teenager label' list. =]

Get over it, everyone's a teenager at some point; unless you're not lucky enough to make it that far; so I'd say you're making out pretty fucking well.

Alot better than a local three year old who drowned in the family pool while her family had a party and were all drinking and neglecting her.

Anduril
Jul 26, 2008, 11:37 PM
I was never too keen on being a teenager myself, but then again I wasn't your typical teenager. I've always been more like some kind of man-boy: mature when around adults and strangers, but being like a 5 year old when around my friends and family, but I guess that's part of my charm (what little I have anyway). Sometimes, though, I wish I was still 15 and in high school with nary a care in the world. In the words of Joni Mitchell, "don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what you got 'til its gone...?"

Ranmaru
Jul 27, 2008, 02:37 PM
Ah yes, the "being a teenager" rant. It can be very painful to be more mature than your years say, or to be more mature than your parents think you are. I'm 18, and I still have about as much freedom as a 13 year old. Me and my mom are trying to find me a job and such so I can start being of actual use, but she doesn't trust me, so I can't even drive myself. And I still live under her roof, so I have to listen to her. Basically, I'm not legally an adult under this roof, haha.

Good luck, Leviwreven. I can't say it's an easy journey.

Same here (Have no job and I live in parents). I know how you feel, Lev, can't wait to be 18, eh? Well, I mean I have felt what you felt. Slow down, and embrace whatever experiences you experience. I say that because, you will miss being younger. Also things are starting to get crappier and worse, so enjoy what you can right now. For example, Movies, Cartoon shows, shows, and maybe videogames, and other things I can't remember as of now.

Anyways, I am the "18 yr old with no job that is useless" or something like that. I will be the adult that hasn't grown up. ;) But, I'm proud! (that I am a child in the inside, not that I don't have a job haha) You should be proud that you are who you are! :)

Err... If only there was a way for teenagers to... I don't know, prove that they are mature and can do something... I mean, they need a way out, you know? Sadly the only way out is through Adults, or that is how I always felt.

Also another thing, I don't really think jobs care about how good your grades are or intern work you have done in school, right? I feel as though I wasted a ton of time on high school, and it pisses me off. Maybe I did something wrong? Bleh, sorry for going a little off topic.

I wish you luck with finding a job, only thing you can do is embrace whatever comes to you, do what your parents tell you to do (even though they may or may not be right) and be strong, until you are of age to do what you want. ^^

ShinMaruku
Jul 27, 2008, 03:02 PM
Later you'll be sick of being human. The Human race is characterized by stupidity.
What you must do is take care of you and define yourself.

As for missing being a teen, I don't :E

BlaizeYES
Jul 27, 2008, 04:03 PM
lol, i like this topic... i got a good laugh out of it. i say this time and time again: stop trying to make yourself look like a victim. and the fact that you're getting so emotional about how much you want to be an adult and have "complete independence" pretty much shows you're not ready.

... and maybe you should stop hanging out with emos or kids that think that bam margera is the coolest guy ever, with CKY and "jackass: the movie" being the only DVDs in their home collection. and you yourself should know where the line between "good fashion sense" and being "trendy" is drawn. it's funny to think about the whining and the image comes from wanting to show your individualism, and most of those kids are shopping at hot topic... which is owned by the gap. so much for being original. if you're wearing girl jeans or have hair that is combed over your entire face so you can only see out of one eye, i'd look into taking your appearance in a new direction.

AlexCraig
Jul 27, 2008, 04:52 PM
Blaize, do you even know who you are talking to? Do you even know what you are talking about? Because there is not really anything in your post that has any real impact on what this topic is about.

Here is the abridged version: Levi is tired of being stuck in the same genre as the "stupid teens" that people (usually ignorant) label as "lazy", "troublesome", "good-for-nothings", etc. That is it. How you came to your answer, I don't know nor do I care to find out.

Getting back to the topic, don't worry about it too much, Levi. As someone said before, you shouldn't put too much thought into what other people say. So long as you proove yourself better than people expect, you'll be fine.

BlaizeYES
Jul 27, 2008, 08:37 PM
relax kid, you're trying too hard to come after me. that was directed at the original poster, and eveyone else that is putting their 2 cents about "how hard it is not getting respect as a teenager." then i decided to add a few sentences about teenagers, to any emos that may be reading this topic. deal with it, and stop whining about it to me.

craig, stop acting like teenage discrimination is a HATE CRIME and that i'm "the bad guy"... it's being a teenager, its what you'll have to deal with at some time or another. it isn't as if millions upon millions of people haven't had it much worse. if you want respect from adults, you're going to have to earn it, and it starts with how you present yourself. if you look like your typical emo teenager, you're going to get shit on. and thats it.

and back to what i was saying a little in my first post in this topic... when you give people comfort when they're complaining, they will feed into it and whine more. thats just how it is. and over time, i've noticed most rants in "the rants forum" is just people trying to find others to agree with them so they can continue complaining, and just dive farther into that neediness of having others hug them at every emotionally-driven decision and "hardship" they have to face. and when you keep thinking of yourself as someone who is constantly getting the short end of the stick, that's what you're going to get.

i've met many, many of people complainers that will keep saying about how wrong things are but never go about any way of changing their situation. if you want to achieve anything in your life, you're going to have to stop bickering over every little bump in the road and being sensitive to little comments that hurt your feelings or some "asshole" that makes you ANGRY. put the pedal to the floor and DRIVE THROUGH THE POTHOLES.

i will dedicate that to anyone who gets that enjoyable high from complaining about everything. and yes, this topic of whining about being a teenager is funny. you're letting your emotions get the best of you. i'm done here, GOODNIGHT MY FRIENDS

Leviathan
Jul 27, 2008, 08:49 PM
Later you'll be sick of being human. The Human race is characterized by stupidity.
What you must do is take care of you and define yourself.

As for missing being a teen, I don't :E

I went through that when I was 15. >_>

Living in a racist neighborhood/city does wonders.

lol, i like this topic... i got a good laugh out of it. i say this time and time again: stop trying to make yourself look like a victim. and the fact that you're getting so emotional about how much you want to be an adult and have "complete independence" pretty much shows you're not ready.

... and maybe you should stop hanging out with emos or kids that think that bam margera is the coolest guy ever, with CKY and "jackass: the movie" being the only DVDs in their home collection. and you yourself should know where the line between "good fashion sense" and being "trendy" is drawn. it's funny to think about the whining and the image comes from wanting to show your individualism, and most of those kids are shopping at hot topic... which is owned by the gap. so much for being original. if you're wearing girl jeans or have hair that is combed over your entire face so you can only see out of one eye, i'd look into taking your appearance in a new direction.

Wouldn't ANYBODY get emotional if something was bothering them. I think you've hit the RANT board, if "getting emotional" is too much for you, maybe you shouldn't go here.

Complete independence?
Umm, yea I CAN take care of myself as well as others which was proved about a few months ago.

Oh wow, attack how I dress? +2 for you. You're just too cool, right?
So what if I wear "girl jeans". <I'm a girl, huzzah.>

As for being original?
I am actually, there is only one of me in America at last check. No one has the same name as me.

Sidney
Jul 28, 2008, 12:45 AM
Wait, I saw someone saying that 18 was an adult. xD
Technically it is, but she says she wishes she weren't a teenager, and last time I checked, 18 was still considered a teenager. 20 is when you're out of the water.

CelestialBlade
Jul 28, 2008, 01:01 AM
You'll look back on your teen years and miss being dependent, after a while. I understand how you feel, but try not to rush life. I regret doing so, myself. You're only young once, find friends that are on your maturity level and enjoy yourself.

And it doesn't matter what people think about your age group. Individual people are far too complicated to be characterized so generally. Adult or teen, nobody's fully mature and we all have growing up to do, always. Live your life and learn from your experiences, try not to worry so much about it. Everyone learns and matures at their own pace.

It comes down to how you choose to react to the given situations in your life that determines your overall maturity.

Nitro Vordex
Jul 28, 2008, 01:04 AM
I just wish I had a job,so I could help out in my family.

HeartBreak301
Jul 28, 2008, 01:51 AM
For me turning 18 only means more freedom, and yes I'm like you, mature for my age and always laughing at all the other idiots out there. Personally though I don't really care about being 17 or being 30 or whatever, I'm one of those people who likes being lazy and I intend to cherish every moment of it before I'm forced to do what I need to when I turn 18. Oh and about the people not treating you how you feel you do, screw them, do what I did and develope a really high tolerance for that crap, people stil treat me like im a worthless piece of shit but I don't even listen to them half the time and when I do I just don't care. As far as I'm concerned they're the immature ones. But anyway enjoy being a teen, I'm going to be 18 soon and I already miss what I had, granted not much will change but it still sucks.

Leviathan
Jul 28, 2008, 01:19 PM
I just wish I had a job,so I could help out in my family.

That's why I want a job too.
My older brother going to college, the recession, &barely having enough money to pay off the bills each month. =/

SStrikerR
Jul 28, 2008, 04:41 PM
You're only young once, find friends that are on your maturity level and enjoy yourself.

Some people would love to do just that, myself being one of them. There's just one problem, these people can be hard to find, and even harder to become friends with if you don't share interests with them.

Anyway, I can understand you, Leviatha, and that's the most important thing :wacko:

HUnewearl_Meira
Jul 28, 2008, 05:12 PM
Here's the catch, Leviatha: you may not realize it now, but you really are part of that group that others are lumping you into. Every last one of us goes through that. When I was 16, I thought it was really something that people in AOL chatrooms would guess my age to be 32, based on the maturity of my words. Now I'm 26, and I can only marvel at how much of an idiot I was at 16. You will, too.

Right now you complain that you can't have any fun, because you don't have any money. Well, in ten years, you'll be ready to complain that you can't have any fun because you don't have any time. Truly, you only ever have one or the other. By the time you have both, you'll be ready to complain that you can't have any fun because you don't have enough youth.

You've got two basic choices to cure your problem of having nothing to do without money:

Go find something, ANYTHING, you can do to earn money (mow lawns, wash windows, sell arts & crafts, recycle cans, etc).
Embrace the fact that you don't have an income, and find activities you can engage in without it. Homebrewed RPGs did it for me, personally. Consider that all you really need is a couple of good friends and a place to exist.

Here's the point: There will, at all times in your life, be a discrepancy between what you want and what you have. So long as you choose to wallow in self-pity over it, you'll never be able to really live. The real key is to work with what you have at your disposal, and allow yourself to be satisfied with that.

Aisha379
Jul 28, 2008, 05:32 PM
Right now you complain that you can't have any fun, because you don't have any money. Well, in ten years, you'll be ready to complain that you can't have any fun because you don't have any time. Truly, you only ever have one or the other. By the time you have both, you'll be ready to complain that you can't have any fun because you don't have enough youth.

haha. Thats really well said.

Of course, I plan to be one of the few people who get rich before their too old to enjoy it.

........I should really start working on that.

CelestialBlade
Jul 28, 2008, 10:22 PM
Here's the catch, Leviatha: you may not realize it now, but you really are part of that group that others are lumping you into. Every last one of us goes through that. When I was 16, I thought it was really something that people in AOL chatrooms would guess my age to be 32, based on the maturity of my words. Now I'm 26, and I can only marvel at how much of an idiot I was at 16. You will, too.

You've got two basic choices to cure your problem of having nothing to do without money:

Go find something, ANYTHING, you can do to earn money (mow lawns, wash windows, sell arts & crafts, recycle cans, etc).
Embrace the fact that you don't have an income, and find activities you can engage in without it. Homebrewed RPGs did it for me, personally. Consider that all you really need is a couple of good friends and a place to exist.

Here's the point: There will, at all times in your life, be a discrepancy between what you want and what you have. So long as you choose to wallow in self-pity over it, you'll never be able to really live. The real key is to work with what you have at your disposal, and allow yourself to be satisfied with that.
This is what I was trying to say, but in *much* better words. This is good advice for people of any age.

washuguy
Jul 29, 2008, 07:49 PM
I went through that when I was 15. >_>

Living in a racist neighborhood/city does wonders.

Wouldn't ANYBODY get emotional if something was bothering them. I think you've hit the RANT board, if "getting emotional" is too much for you, maybe you shouldn't go here.

Complete independence?
Umm, yea I CAN take care of myself as well as others which was proved about a few months ago.

Oh wow, attack how I dress? +2 for you. You're just too cool, right?
So what if I wear "girl jeans". <I'm a girl, huzzah.>

As for being original?
I am actually, there is only one of me in America at last check. No one has the same name as me.

Is your name... CHICKEN RICE CAKE SUPREME!!!?!?!? LOL

That's why I want a job too.
My older brother going to college, the recession, &barely having enough money to pay off the bills each month. =/

SHIT... I know the feeling...

Mystil
Aug 4, 2008, 11:29 PM
We can always swap ages. I wont mind being a teenage again. So.. wanna be 25?

BlaizeYES
Aug 5, 2008, 12:01 AM
When I was 16, I thought it was really something that people in AOL chatrooms would guess my age to be 32, based on the maturity of my words. Now I'm 26, and I can only marvel at how much of an idiot I was at 16.

lol... when i was 18 and i'd be invited to get-togethers with people in their mid-20s, i thought i was so much more mature "than my age," too. and even now, there's still some fine-tuning i have to do.

but leviantha, just because your name isn't original doesnt mean that your problems aren't. everyone has been a teenager, they know it already. what i was trying to say is that theres a difference between "venting" and just trying to get support in the "rants" section. you're trying to gain emotional support to fuel your RAGE.

and thats about all i can say... i've had frequent headaches since my little trips in the beginning of july and it's got me on edge a little easier. maybe it's STRATUSPHERE BRAIN CANCER? AHHH

Broodstar1337
Aug 5, 2008, 03:31 AM
Don't worry. Once you're not a teenager anymore, you'll wish you were a teenager again.

Out_Kast
Aug 8, 2008, 03:17 PM
The only disadvantage in my eyes is that people don't treat me with the same amount of respect as they would an adult. But they still treat me with respect, just not as much as I'd appreciate.
I can see your point though, dood.
Welcome to the world of the Stereotypical :wacko:

Leviathan
Aug 9, 2008, 12:12 AM
but leviantha, just because your name isn't original doesnt mean that your problems aren't. everyone has been a teenager, they know it already. what i was trying to say is that theres a difference between "venting" and just trying to get support in the "rants" section. you're trying to gain emotional support to fuel your RAGE.

and thats about all i can say... i've had frequent headaches since my little trips in the beginning of july and it's got me on edge a little easier. maybe it's STRATUSPHERE BRAIN CANCER? AHHH

I meant my REAL name.

Gabriela _______ ________.
Only 339 people in the U.S. have my last name. :wacko:

I wasn't trying to get support. I was venting at the fact that I cannot get a job, &having to be in this stereotype of "Teenagers Are Fucking Stupid." There are exceptions to every rule. It's just frustrating especially when someone tries to generalize you into the category especially when in a job interview/asking a simple question &they just say "You don't know anything, you're a teenager!"

I did get a job though, so I can start helping out my family. Especially since my brother is going off to college &financial aid didn't give him a dime.

pikachief
Aug 9, 2008, 01:28 AM
I get stuck being known as that dumb kid that makes irresponsible choices &needs to learn. I have to be merged into that group of morons that embarrass themselves in public by doing something stupid or wearing hip clothes that in the future we will all laugh at. I get to be the ones that adults scoff at &say "Stupid teenagers." I'm in that group of kids that don't know what good for them.

"You should enjoy being a teenager, you have all that freedom."

Freedom you say? Non-existent for me! No money=Nothing to do.

We're not all stupid &don't group me into that category. Chances are I can survive being an adult &I do know what's good for me.

I AGREE!

except i dont wear "hip clothes" i wear what i feel like and people know me for what i wear ^^ (i wish it was for who i am but im too quiet of person and hardly make any close friends lol)

Darkly
Aug 9, 2008, 01:31 AM
you could start by not force feeding them to your pleasure.

pikachief
Aug 9, 2008, 02:08 AM
you could start by not force feeding them to your pleasure.

ha ha >.>

no its more like i just dont ever talk to anyone so i dont make friends cuz of it >.>

actually almost no one knows i like big women outside fo the internets :O i told someone once and they got real quiet for a while.... then started giggling and said "your gonna die in a landslide" -_- >.> lol

Powder Keg
Aug 9, 2008, 11:16 AM
You'll be an adult soon enough. Enjoy the benefits of being a teenager is all I can tell you.

afterthoughtz
Aug 16, 2008, 02:10 PM
Not to be the downer in this topic, but i've met/played xbox with some teenagers and such who claim to be "more mature and older acting then their age" from experience, theres no such thing. Do you think there are age limits on things for the fun of it, no! Its because kids/younger teens cant handle it lol, so just sit back, shut up and chill, you'll be an adult soon enough:-)