PDA

View Full Version : Invincible.

McLaughlin
Jul 26, 2008, 01:33 AM
Alright. In FFXI-

Wait a second...let me get this out of the way.

lolFFXI.

There.

In FFXI, each job has an ability with thirty second duration (usually, there may be a few exceptions, like a Corsiar's Wild Card) and a two-hour recast timer. They're set like this because they (the majority anyway) are very useful abilities.

Now, I play as a Paladin, and my two-hour is Invincible.

"Awesome!" you might say to yourself, "I bet that does exactly what you'd think."

Well, you'd be correct. If you're thinking it only protects you from melee damage.

You have to read the fine print.

Now, I've known about this since I began Paladin, and it's never really presented a problem. Until today.

There's this dragon named Ouryu, and I have to tank him until he dies. He's an Earth-based dragon (or Wyrm, for all those picky people out there), and he really packs a punch.

Most of that punch seems to get unpacked while he's in the air. When he's in the air, all his attacks are magic based.

Now, clearly, the trick to this battle is keeping Ouryu on the ground, via an item called a Mistmelt. Every time he flies up in the air, you use one and he drops back down. However, when he's on the ground he hits me every other second.

So, when we're close to winning and I'm almost dead, I use Invincible.

Oh wait. He decides he'll have none of that and uses Stonega II before I can start spamming Cure. I die.

The thing that REALLY irritates me is that Thieves get Perfect Dodge, which does the SAME THING as Invincible. Please note that Thieves are NOT a tanking class, and in a party they have no real use for this ability.

There's one difference between Perfect Dodge and Invincible. Perfect Dodge won't work on Ranged attacks. Only 2% of enemies have a Ranged Attack.

They're the same goddamn ability.

Why doesn't Invincible make me invincible?

Rayokarna
Jul 26, 2008, 01:42 AM
Ouch. I can see where you coming from but I guess it just wont happen again next time. But when they do give abilities with a name like that in a game, if it has some sort of downfall, I personally think they should make it obvious.