PDA

View Full Version : Life has hit me like a semi...

MetaZedlen
Jul 26, 2008, 08:16 AM
Ok, I was going to do this sooner, but didn't have time to.

Anyway, so I find out a few days ago that my dad is about to lose his job, and just yesterday, he gets a letter saying that by the end of August his plant is being shut down...

Hearing this made a shiver go down my spine, being that he wanted to help me out with college, but now we are going to have to survive on the bare essentials until he finds another job (he will be getting unemployment).

Now, I am in pursuit of getting a job at the local McDonalds (friends work there, so I have sources), and I am going in today to check up on if I can get in (I hope...), but the shitty thing is that instead of all proceeds going to my education, I have to help out in paying for the bills, and groceries, even if we get less than we need, but that doesn't really bother me.

The thing that itches me the most is that now I have to surrender most of my time to help out in this bullshit situation that idiots in this world caused to us, why the fuck can't people be smart when it comes to business? (the owners of the factory, not my dad.)

Man, it was all going good for a while, then I just got shot in the head...

Seority
Jul 26, 2008, 10:40 AM
It's not nessessarily that the business owners were stupid, but they saw no income from the plant, and shut it down. Why pay to keep a store running if it has no customers?
I know that it sucks for your dad and others like him, but our economy isn't the greatest either. We are pretty much in a recession, meaning the American dollar is becoming cheaper every day. Things like gas prices rising don't help us either.

Life does seem to come up to you and bite you hard in the wrong place at that age it seems. DreX didn't take his ACTs soon enough to get into college next year, so I have to tell the college, that I was already accepted to, that I can't make it till next year. Both him and I will have to work for a whole year before we can get more schooling, which is something I never planned on, nor thought would happen, but like I said. This stuff just seems to happen once you're an "adult".

I hope your dad can find a new job soon, and you can get to school soon also.

CelestialBlade
Jul 26, 2008, 01:09 PM
The plant I did my engineering internship at was shut down shortly after my internship was over due to company restructuring. The plant was deemed "under-utilized" and the two halves of our plant were assimilated into two of our other plants. It caused factory workers who had worked there for 20-30 years to suddenly lose their jobs, and it's very difficult for some factory workers to make new starts like that. There's plenty that cannot read or write, it was a very sad situation. My heart went out to them, but corporations do this all the time. It is certainly not fair to the workers who REALLY keep the entire corporation afloat, but it's so hard to keep any factories running in the States due to costs anymore. We're shooting our own economy in the foot, but labor is simply so much cheaper in Mexico and China.

I wish your dad the best of luck in finding a new job, and I'm sure you'll find something if you keep at it. It could take tons of applications before you're able to land anything, especially if this is your first job, but keep at it.

ABDUR101
Jul 26, 2008, 01:12 PM
You did'nt get shot in the head, your dad did. Think about how he must feel. You were already going to go work at McDonald's, your dad prolly figured he'd be working at that plant and raising in the ranks and making more money.

Put his shoes on and imagine how he feels; having the responsibility of a family, a house, vehicle payments, utilities, FOOD. And not just for himself, but for everyone under him.

Your dad has it alot worse off than you, you'd do well to realise that. Your rant would have been better slanted about how it sucks for your entire family, not just you.

CelestialBlade
Jul 26, 2008, 01:18 PM
That's certainly true, Abdur, but I can certainly vouch that when something like this happens, it can take a little while before you're really able to see the big picture. When my dad passed away last year, the first few days consisted of me wondering what I was going to do, how much I was going to miss him, how I was going to support myself, me me me. It wasn't until things began to settle down that I started to think about how the rest of my family was feeling, how my uncle felt being the co-executor of dad's will with me, how everyone that tried to help my dad felt. It wasn't until then that I truly felt the need to not only support myself, but help comfort others in that time of loss.

Again, your post is absolutely correct, but it can take a while before you realize a situation affects more than just you.

MetaZedlen
Jul 26, 2008, 01:35 PM
Well, first off Abdur, my parents have been divorced for almost 9 years now, so it is only me and my dad, and second, I forgot to add that the idiots running the plant let the Union take them over pretty much, and do you know what that meant? Lazy-ass workers that do nothing but piss and moan about how they aren't getting paid enough, but they aren't doing anything in the first place, but hey, they still got a pay raise for doing JACK-FUCKING-SHIT.

If that hadn't have happened, then the plant would still be up and running probably longer than expected... man, I hate people...

And as for worrying about only my situation, that is another thing I forgot to add, I am deathly worried about US surviving, not just me, I never really have been selfish when it comes to these kind of situations, yes, I have lived like this before... it sucked, I won't lie, but I lived through it, it's just the fact that I look at what is going on, and I ask: "why us?"

Anyway, I can only hope that I get a job within the next few days... and keep it.

CelestialBlade
Jul 26, 2008, 03:10 PM
I pretty much have the same opinion on factory unions as you do, lord knows I've seen them delay all kinds of progress countless times. Unions have good intentions, but are too easily abused.

SkywalkerPSO
Jul 26, 2008, 08:07 PM
Well, first off Abdur, my parents have been divorced for almost 9 years now, so it is only me and my dad, and second, I forgot to add that the idiots running the plant let the Union take them over pretty much, and do you know what that meant? Lazy-ass workers that do nothing but piss and moan about how they aren't getting paid enough, but they aren't doing anything in the first place, but hey, they still got a pay raise for doing JACK-FUCKING-SHIT.

If that hadn't have happened, then the plant would still be up and running probably longer than expected... man, I hate people...

And as for worrying about only my situation, that is another thing I forgot to add, I am deathly worried about US surviving, not just me, I never really have been selfish when it comes to these kind of situations, yes, I have lived like this before... it sucked, I won't lie, but I lived through it, it's just the fact that I look at what is going on, and I ask: "why us?"

Anyway, I can only hope that I get a job within the next few days... and keep it.

This is where I highly disagree with all people who "claim" a union is at fault when a certain company goes under! Yes, there are some people who attempt to abuse a union. But if it weren't for labor unions in the US we wouldn't have an economy at all, let alone a shitty one that has been run into the ground by an idiotic party who has slowly been bringing the US down from the inside out! Your government and George W. are to blame NOBODY else. It is George W. and his followers who have allowed corporations to receive HUGE tax breaks to outsource work overseas to places like China. It is the doing of George W. who have allowed "mexican" truck drivers to cross the border on a daily basis and steal work from hard working middle class US citizens because they'll do it "cheaper". If this government and George W. in particular would wake up and realize US citizens need and rely on our government to make smart decisions to help our country prosper these things would never happen. Do you think your average US working class citizen raised the gas prices, closed the doors of a factory, allowed jobs to be outsourced to China????? Absolutely not! It was the UPPER CLASS business owners who rely upon everyday people to run and operate their facilities on a daily basis that allowed these things to happen because George W. allowed them to do so........ and REWARDED them for doing it! It was a sad day when he was blindly elected into office and IMO he is to blame!!!!! Job loss, 9/11, gas prices, and so many others are the pure fault of a government gone wrong by the leadership of a oil tycoon from Texas! Thank you Mr. Bush, thank you for taking our jobs, lives, and ultimately our DIGNITY! Hopefully the next president of the USA can bring us back to glory! Thanks for hearing my rant! :)

Kamiense
Jul 26, 2008, 09:22 PM
It really sucks that your dad got fired and the plant was shut down, but it's not the end of the world. My father was laid off five times in seven years after being with a local networking company. Your mom and dad are probably feeling a lot worse than you right now since you can go and get a loan for college, and once you're about of the house it won't affect you too much. Your parents have to live with this and hope your father can find a new job to keep and income coming in.

It's not the end of the world that the plant was shut down. There are more jobs right now, but our economy isn't doing the greatest either. It'll take some time, but it'll work itself out.

Oh, and SkywalkerPSO, take your government conspiracy shit somewhere else. Government doesn't control companies, so there's really nothing they can do. Think before you post please.

Shadowpawn
Jul 26, 2008, 09:41 PM
A bunch of things...

I don't see how that's relevant to the topic, Skywalker. Bush has little to do with the plant his dad was employed in. What I think Zedlen was trying to say is that it is because the Union took over and were lax on productivity that the plant went under. This is may or may not be true, I didn't work there so I can't vouch for him however I will say that a shift in management does affect the performance of a system already in place. That is what I think happened here, new management came in and screwed up the system. The cash flow suddenly was worthless and the plant had to shut down.

It could have been on the decline for years and now gotten to the point where it had to shut down. All I can say to you, Zedlen, is that I certainly feel for you situation. However I will say this, you can do better than MickeyDs. Even if this is your first job I'm sure you can land something that pays more the than place. If even you do decide to work there shop around for something better.

SkywalkerPSO
Jul 26, 2008, 10:30 PM
Oh, and SkywalkerPSO, take your government conspiracy shit somewhere else. Government doesn't control companies, so there's really nothing they can do. Think before you post please.

LOL...

If thats what you believe you have ALOT to learn my friend....
I currently work for a bargaining committee for the United Steelworkers Union out of Pittsburgh, PA. I bargain with company CEO, COO's on a daily basis to help gain agreeable contracts between company and employee. Don't believe for one moment that the government doesn't play a HUGE role in the way a company runs or is run! I see it daily.... There's too many Presidents of companies that thrive off of huge tax breaks by the government to make a few extra bucks and cut corners and the workers are constantly screwed! A union is there on behalf of the employees as a mediator, therefore they are not part of management whatsoever.... A labor union is brought in by a companies employees not the company itself! BUT, everyone is entitled to an opinion...
Don't worry topic creator, I'm sure your father will find work soon... We always do as Americans!!!!!

ABDUR101
Jul 26, 2008, 10:33 PM
The thing is, unions can be iffy.

My grandmother kept unions going for factory workers all across the nation, they made sure people got fair wages for their hard work, and they made it so the people in those unions did'nt get screwed over.

My grandma wasn't a slouch, she was a damn hard worker; and from her union work she managed to make more than her husband. When she was working the unions and factories, she always tells me how she worked to make things efficient and timely, to increase production, to get rid of people who attempted to take advantage of the system(i.e. like people today who live off well-fare and everyone else's hardearned tax money, when they don't need to).

Unions can be abused, but when you live in a country where the work is being given to illegal immigrants who will work for next to nothing, or out-sourced to countries that will gladly accept any work; even though they aren't doing it well or right; the company as a whole makes off like a bandit. What you might go in the red trying to do here in America(because the cost of living here), as opposed to what might bump you far into the green by outsourcing.

It's sad that american companies outsource so much, it really hurts all of us when it happens.

In any case, hope for a better president that is more ethnocentric and concerned more about American affairs as opposed to trying to solve the world's problems. We have plenty of our own to deal with, it's not like you'd spend time mowing your neighbors lawn and weeding their garden only to let your own go ignored.

Kamiense
Jul 26, 2008, 10:47 PM

LOL...

If thats what you believe you have ALOT to learn my friend....
I currently work for a bargaining committee for the United Steelworkers Union out of Pittsburgh, PA. I bargain with company CEO, COO's on a daily basis to help gain agreeable contracts between company and employee. Don't believe for one moment that the government doesn't play a HUGE role in the way a company runs or is run! I see it daily.... There's too many Presidents of companies that thrive off of huge tax breaks by the government to make a few extra bucks and cut corners and the workers are constantly screwed! A union is there on behalf of the employees as a mediator, therefore they are not part of management whatsoever.... A labor union is brought in by a companies employees not the company itself! BUT, everyone is entitled to an opinion...
Don't worry topic creator, I'm sure your father will find work soon... We always do as Americans!!!!!

I never said that the government doesn't help control unions, I said companies. If the government had control of companies, then they wouldn't be allowed to outsource. Plus what you said in your last post doesn't at all relate to the problem. Companies don't need unions. Why do you think when some are having strikes they hire new people to take their place? It's because they're breaching their contracts. I've been in a union, and I knew if there was ever a strike I'd be out of a job because unions want too much with little in return. They had their purpose in the past, but now they don't have a purpose. Have you ever thought that they get tax breaks as an incentive to stay here? They have to try something to try and keep companies here, but it's not working. The government gets nothing from outsourcing since they are losing out on money from taxes, much more than the tax breaks could ever lose. Companies can outsource because they aren't bound to the United States. That's all.

If you had ANYTHING related to the original post, I'd post it or stay away from this topic.

(Instead of making another post, I'm ending this futile debate right here, right now. I never said any of those things, I never said that they were controlled by the government, I never made a concrete statement. I may not be a person who OBVIOUSLY hates their job, but I know when people are biased. Companies don't only outsource because of government intervention, that's just not plausible. We're both arrogant and will never get through to each other, and you should've realized you were going to stir the pot when you posted something that outlandish. Try stepping outside from your cushy union perspective and look at it from a different perspective. You might learn something.

You still never posted anything related to OP's post. Just because this is a rant forum doesn't mean you should come in and spout your petty anger when someone has a serious problem. Keep your agenda out when not in your little bubble thread of anti-government conspiracy theorists.)

I'm sorry I posted again, but I felt the need to respond.

SkywalkerPSO
Jul 26, 2008, 11:18 PM
I never said that the government doesn't help control unions, I said companies. If the government had control of companies, then they wouldn't be allowed to outsource. Plus what you said in your last post doesn't at all relate to the problem. Companies don't need unions. Why do you think when some are having strikes they hire new people to take their place? It's because they're breaching their contracts. I've been in a union, and I knew if there was ever a strike I'd be out of a job because unions want too much with little in return. They had their purpose in the past, but now they don't have a purpose. Have you ever thought that they get tax breaks as an incentive to stay here? They have to try something to try and keep companies here, but it's not working. The government gets nothing from outsourcing since they are losing out on money from taxes, much more than the tax breaks could ever lose. Companies can outsource because they aren't bound to the United States. That's all.

If you had ANYTHING related to the original post, I'd post it or stay away from this topic.

Who are you the "topic" police? lol...
I was stating a point in a "RANT" forum.... where else better to post!
Your really starting to contradict yourself here... Unions being controlled by government? WOW! You really have no clue what your saying do ya... Go back and actually READ what I said... about companies being influenced by our government not unions. The reason why big companies outsource is because of the tax credits they are awarded from the government grants to do so! I've proved my point here, so I won't waste anymore of your precious time here officer! LOL... Maybe you should not spend so much time ruling the forum with an iron fist and catch up on some worldly current events or something! Thanks....
The father of this person will be back at work before ya know it .... watch!

Sgt_Shligger
Jul 26, 2008, 11:50 PM
Who are you the "topic" police? lol...
I was stating a point in a "RANT" forum.... where else better to post!
Your really starting to contradict yourself here... Unions being controlled by government? WOW! You really have no clue what your saying do ya... Go back and actually READ what I said... about companies being influenced by our government not unions. The reason why big companies outsource is because of the tax credits they are awarded from the government grants to do so! I've proved my point here, so I won't waste anymore of your precious time here officer! LOL... Maybe you should not spend so much time ruling the forum with an iron fist and catch up on some worldly current events or something! Thanks....
The father of this person will be back at work before ya know it .... watch!

You yourself aren't reading anything. Kamiense never said that the government controls unions. Also, FYI Luke, this may be a rants forum but you need to stay on topic. If you want to bitch and moan about the government and blame them for everything go make your own topic; don't derail a normal topic. Kamiense is not being a "Topic Officer," he's telling you to abide to the forum rules and stop a good topic from being derailed because someone is just being rude and bothersome for the sake of trolling.

Zedlen, I hope your father can find a job quickly. The same thing happened to my dad (job outsourcing) but he bounced back. You'll be able to pull through it. Just work hard and save up.

MetaZedlen
Jul 27, 2008, 10:15 AM
SkywalkerPSO - Shut the FUCK up, as others have said, you aren't posting anything relevant to my problem, and everything that you said that could be called remotely close to the problem is untrue...

The fucking union in that company ran the owners dry until they turned to dust, and also, the car companies that were in there had idiots that were trying to get in, and wouldn't ya know it? The bank wouldn't do what they wanted them to do...

We have almost nothing but idiotic and uneducated people running places nowadays...

Thanks, you got me pissed off now, don't do that shit again, make a different topic.

SStrikerR
Jul 28, 2008, 04:15 PM
Zedlen- I don't know much about any of this so I'll stay out of it, but good luck..with everything. And your dad too.

Broodstar1337
Jul 29, 2008, 07:08 PM
economics is a bitch. This day and age you pretty much have to have a job working in entertainment or the military to have a little bit of job security. You'll bounce back, though. No one is about to stop going on any business ventures anytime soon, so a new job might even pop up tomorrow that'll fit your father's bill.