PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 Silver Membership and AOI

GD ReBorN
Jul 27, 2008, 03:52 PM
I have 2 questions, if anyone knows or thinks they know the answer please respond.
1. If I bought AOI on my other xbox 360 account and I make a new account, will i have to rebuy AOI for that account or will the expansion still be there from the other account.

2. If I silver Membership for xboxlive could i still play PSU?

JFKdj
Jul 27, 2008, 03:57 PM
1. Don't know.

2. Yes, you can play with only Silver.

Kizeragi
Jul 27, 2008, 03:57 PM
I have 2 questions, if anyone knows or thinks they know the answer please respond.
1. If I bought AOI on my other xbox 360 account and I make a new account, will i have to rebuy AOI for that account or will the expansion still be there from the other account.

2. If I silver Membership for xboxlive could i still play PSU?

1. I shouldnt think so, It saves to the Xbox HDD as far as I know.

2. Yes, you don't require a gold membership to play PSU online, only the GUARDIANS license.

GD ReBorN
Jul 27, 2008, 04:12 PM
alright thanks so much guys

Darklighter
Jul 27, 2008, 10:41 PM
If the new account is on the same xbox 360 you got AOTI, you do not need to re buy AOTI. If it is for a different 360 you will need to buy it for that.

NexGen
Jul 28, 2008, 07:15 PM
You should be fine as long as you only have 1 xbox. If you have 2 accounts AND 2 xboxes, then you will need to buy it again - even if you recover gamertag and download it again. Its wierd, basically. 2 accounts on the elite could both access AOTI content with 1 AOTI purchase. On the 2nd xbox, I recovered gamertag and redownloaded for free. My account could access and play AOTI stuff on the 2nd box, but the second account couldn't. Even though AOTI was already on the 2nd box, I had to pay the points to enable it on the 2nd boxfor the 2nd account.

I don't think you'd have to for just 1 xbox though, but who knows.

Also, I think you might need gold to download AOTI, but not to play it once its downloaded.

Brainwrecked
Jul 28, 2008, 08:22 PM
My wife's account is silver, and she was able to purchase and download AotI just fine.

While not knowing how AotI itself is encumbered, most XBox Live downloads use a dual-DRM-license -- one for the console, one for the gamertag, and a re-download should allow you to change the console license. However, If NexGen's recollection is 100% true, AotI may not allow you to change the console license. It wouldn't be the first time a game bucked Microsoft's guidelines.

NexGen
Jul 28, 2008, 09:48 PM
It was odd. Even the DRM rules didn't make sense to me for the 2 account 2 xbox situation. We both could play on the old xbox, with either gamertag, in my sole copy of AOTI. When we added the 2nd xbox, only I could play AOTI on her xbox, with my gamertag recovered. Accessing my recovered content on the 2nd xbox, she was not allowed to access my recovered, though downloaded, AOTI.

The purchase of the 2nd AOTI was just a DRM forrmality; MS took my money and did not require a re-download. AOTI was magically enabled lol.

Brainwrecked
Jul 29, 2008, 04:03 AM
In programming terms, the Download function is "overloaded," meaning it does more than one thing based on circumstances.

Here, Download not only downloads, but re-sets the DRM according to the restrictions placed on the file by the publisher. Already have the file and it's not corrupted? It'll just set up the DRM restrictions.

Here's what happens:

You download the AotI expansion to box 1. The DRM sets it up so that file can be played IF played on the original console it was downloaded to OR if the Gamertag that downloaded it is being used. This means that other people using XBox 360 #1 can also play AotI even if you recover your profile to a different machine. It also means you can switch your hard drive to another machine and play AotI on any machine you want.

You then recover your profile to box 2 and download again. What's supposed to happen is that this second download should revoke your console license from box 1 and tie the console license to box 2. You should now be able to recover your profile to and play on box 1 while someone uses box 2 to play AotI.

Unless Sega decided that you should not be able to reset the console license. Very well could be the case as it would allow two people to play the expansion while only paying for it once. Publishers are free to do as they please with the DRM restrictions. DoA4's save file is infamous in that it can't be moved around no matter what.

Eeyore
Jul 29, 2008, 08:59 AM
You can only transfer licenses with this tool once a year:
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemuse/xbox360/licensemigration/default.htm?WT.svl=nav

Or when MS repairs an xbox, they move the licenses.