PDA

View Full Version : Sega Responds to Save/FSOD query

AzureBlaze
Jan 29, 2003, 02:03 AM
I wrote Sega via their customer service feedback form. I got an auto-responder, but also recieved an Email from an actual person. No one has posted this fact before, (that I saw) so I will share the letter:

"Hello,
We received your complaint regarding PSO character corruption. We are currently investigating this issue to determine the source of the problem. We are having trouble duplicating this error, so we will need a little more info:
How many times has this happened, when was the first time, what type of connection (BBA/56K), and what type of memory card (name brand and size) were you using.

Please reply with this information and I will get back to you shortly.
Thanks,
Sega.com"

The problem with it is that they mis-interperated my letter. I had said that I "heard of it happening everywhere, and did not want to risk my chars" None of my chars ever got corrupted due to this, and I made it clear in my letter to them. They mis-read it, and sent me this.

So I ask: anyone who has lost their chars to this TELL Sega now! Write them, and they will respond, it seems they care this time around. It's better then a phone call. I do not want to respond to them with false data.

The point is that they'll do something about it only if enough people send in all their corruption facts. Keep this topic bumped or something, and if you got corrupted, don't let it be in vein.

_cAbLe_
Jan 29, 2003, 12:17 PM
*sigh*

Raist
Jan 29, 2003, 12:23 PM
Hmmm, I would have just lied and said my character was corrupted 5 times with a Nintendo 59 Memory Card and a 56k modem. Meh, you know its happening so why not fib a lil' http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Atax
Jan 29, 2003, 12:27 PM
On 2003-01-29 09:17, _cAbLe_ wrote:
*sigh*

If your not going to conribute to the thread, how about instead of making a one word spam post just don't post at all, it wastes bandwidth.

Anyhoo, getting back on topic I hope this issue is resolved soon. I'm exchanging for ver 1.1, instead of buying US PSO is because I didn't want to loose my chars..... And I don't plan on loosing them to some FSOD anytime soon.

AzureBlaze
Jan 29, 2003, 03:37 PM
Project Kill-a-fake!

I got another memory card, and am going to create some fake guys on it, then purposly make/join a bunch of teams and see if I can get them to die. With my luck, I figure it will work. (yikes!) I am tired of rotting around offline doing nothing, it is time they solved this. And the more people who give them accurate details, the faster they'll do it.
--which is why I didn't want to lie in the response, as you suggested, I don't want to throw off any investigation with bogus info

For some reason though, people display apathy toward writing Sega about their problems, even though they have changed, and will actually listen. This was what everyone craved on the DC days.

Elusive_Llama
Jan 29, 2003, 03:42 PM
They have changed? What do you mean by that? A friend tells me that Sega is but one step away from actively hating us North American players. He cited one case back on PSO for DC where Japanese servers got a patch to fix the NOL pk problem but North American servers got jack.

AzureBlaze
Jan 29, 2003, 04:01 PM
I mean that they changed their E-mail reply policy from back at the DC days.

-As far as I know and experianced for myself back then, if you E-mailed Sega, a real person never read your letter, and the most you ever got in return was an auto-responder, which generally contained irrelevent info. The only way you could reach someone, was through their 'customer support hotline' which usually had some poor un-informed person on the other end who might not be able to deal with you/your problem.

The Email I pasted into this post showed an actual human responding in a way that would gather info to benefit the solving of the problem. (This was more then they ever did before)

Also, I don't think they ever particularly like N.America/EU gamers all that well. N.America pays a much higher HL fee then JP does in order to implement the increased security required to keep all the bad people who live here from hurting others. (I read that in an article) However, I don't think your friend was correct that the JP ships got a NOL block at the end. Because, no matter how you look at it, USA/Can/EU players mean money. The more of them you encourage with a good environment, the more money you get.

BlankTK
Jan 29, 2003, 04:02 PM
They didnt misinterpret your letter, thats a generic response. I got the same one. My character wasnt corrupted either heh

Barubary6
Jan 29, 2003, 04:17 PM
I emailed someone at Sega Europe... Hopefully she can help me get in contact with Sega US.

-- Barubary

Raist
Jan 29, 2003, 04:39 PM
On 2003-01-29 13:01, AzureBlaze wrote:
The Email I pasted into this post showed an actual human responding in a way that would gather info to benefit the solving of the problem. (This was more then they ever did before)

I got the lame auto response when I mailed them.

mystic_knight
Jan 29, 2003, 05:09 PM
I didn't even get a resoponse, be happy that they even AUTOMATICALLYacknowledge your existance.

LollipopLolita
Jan 29, 2003, 09:08 PM
Please read latest news on the front page regarding this problem

thewiredknight
Jan 29, 2003, 11:03 PM
Actually I haven't had any problems with Sega and e-mails. I've wrote them twice ever sicne I started playing PSO and have gotten personal replies within their three day claim. three business days at least. As for info, I haven't been corrupted, don't want to lose what I've got but when I called I gave them all the data I had based on what you guys said on the board.

Polenicus
Jan 30, 2003, 02:29 AM
On 2003-01-29 12:37, AzureBlaze wrote:
Project Kill-a-fake!

I got another memory card, and am going to create some fake guys on it, then purposly make/join a bunch of teams and see if I can get them to die. With my luck, I figure it will work. (yikes!) I am tired of rotting around offline doing nothing, it is time they solved this. And the more people who give them accurate details, the faster they'll do it.
--which is why I didn't want to lie in the response, as you suggested, I don't want to throw off any investigation with bogus info

For some reason though, people display apathy toward writing Sega about their problems, even though they have changed, and will actually listen. This was what everyone craved on the DC days.

Let us know how your testing goes. Take notes on the circumstances and what not, and what kind of setup you've got. and when you FSOD, try and repeat it a couple of times, see if you can find a common factor, or if it's just random.

I'm currently on a BBA, routed through a Linksys router on Shaw cable. I've tried with an el cheapo Madkatz card to get an FSOD by bouncing in and out of games with no luck so far. (Or, maybe more accurately, 'luck so far')

AzureBlaze
Jan 30, 2003, 01:50 PM
I am so glad this made the front page of PSOW!

Hopefully more people will see it now and take some action. "enough people finally said something" it said in the news to make them acknowledge it, so this is exactly what we needed, a popular site to say something encourageing people to call/write!

I havn't managed to get any sort of FSOD at all so far...despite doing everything wrong. I went only to the most crowded Vega ships and lobbies, hopped in and out of as many games as was polite, and carried a whole inventory full of (useless) junk all the while. I had some hope when I lagged out (and got that arial view of P2) while joining, but no such luck/uhh bad luck.

To anyone who had this happen: was the area crowded when you froze? Was the game you went into one you made, or joining someone elses'? I will definatly post to this topic if I can get one of the fake chars to FSODX, hopefully as a lesson of what not to do, and for general info purposes. However, my real hope is that I never have to.

LollipopLolita
Jan 30, 2003, 02:35 PM
On 2003-01-30 10:50, AzureBlaze wrote:
I am so glad this made the front page of PSOW!

eh?