PDA

View Full Version : Play on JP Server In USA

Bupon
Aug 10, 2008, 03:12 AM
Is their any way to play on the Japaneses severs in USA. I will do all that it takes to get it done. Im just asking if it can be done. Im talking about the PC version.

GaNksTa
Aug 10, 2008, 03:24 AM
Yes you can: http://psupedia.info/Joining_the_Japanese_Server

Also when abbreviating Japanese, lose the "a"; the term "Jap" is offensive.

Bupon
Aug 10, 2008, 03:38 AM
Yes you can: http://psupedia.info/Joining_the_Japanese_Server

Also when abbreviating Japanese, lose the "a"; the term "Jap" is offensive.

Im so sorry, I did not mean to offend any one.
Oh and how is it now knowing any Japanese and playing this game.

gratefulgriz
Aug 10, 2008, 03:47 AM
probably hard is my guess, but everyone else that has transferred over will encourage you. There are going to be english speaking peoples, but Jap language will definitely be prevalent and standard! good luck and thanks for playing PSU!!

Indica
Aug 10, 2008, 05:24 AM
Jap is supposedly a racist and derogatory term. It's censored in game and the official forum.

Just to let you know, but I think that it's bullshit. I consider it an abbreviation like Jew.

Edit: So much political bullshit in this world. I know the word was abused during WW2 but it's not like how the N word was used toward black folks when the definition is for something else.

What cracks me up and I dont really care but I consider it an insult to name someone Jesus (hay-Zeus) or Mohammad but that is overlooked.

Kairi_Li
Aug 10, 2008, 07:03 AM
Heh, I always said that leave it to society to turn perfectly innocent words into offensive terms. :P I mean in the OLD days the word "fag" just means cigerette...

But we are getting off topic.

It is difficult to play any Japanese imported games because all menus and items are in Japanese, but eventually you will start regonising some of them. I for example regonise the term "potion" in Japanese after play so many Final Fantasies.

And I am sure there are sites or what not that can give you a hand.

Bupon
Aug 10, 2008, 09:19 AM
I would like to know if their are more people playing on the Japanese servers then the Xbox servers.
Would I have to buy PSU and the AOTI or can I just buy AOTI.

ashley50
Aug 10, 2008, 09:50 AM
Just get the AoI version...

Arika
Aug 10, 2008, 10:08 AM
I would like to know if their are more people playing on the Japanese servers then the Xbox servers.
>>> yes, a lot more than xbox360, however, 99% are japanese. and 90% can't speak english.
A group of importer is getting bigger now, but that is still small. So, I will suggest you to play there only if you have some basic JP skill.

AxelgearVII
Aug 10, 2008, 10:20 AM
For the record, people who have never played on the other side should keep their uneducated opinions to themselves in these types of threads, bar a few exceptions.

Bupon
Aug 10, 2008, 10:31 AM
How hard was it for the people that did join the Japanese servers.

pinkace
Aug 10, 2008, 10:53 AM
I played with japanese players on PSO all the time. they spoke english pretty well. i guess its easier to read and type in another language than it is to speak it, because almost every player could understand me and respond in english

GaNksTa
Aug 10, 2008, 11:09 AM
Im so sorry, I did not mean to offend any one.
Oh and how is it now knowing any Japanese and playing this game.

I'm not Japanese, but I'm just throwing it out there seeing as your about to join the JP servers and some people may find it offensive.

From what I have heard you can usually find an English speaking group and/or some Japanese people who know some English. BTW, everything is written in katakana from what I have heard so you may have some difficulties navigating around the interface at the beginning.

---------------------------------

Wow... I fell asleep on the keyboard... would have gotten the reply to you at 4:00AM.. but.. I guess not.

Silver_Wyrm
Aug 10, 2008, 03:47 PM
Ok if I moved over to the JP servers, I have played with JP before and know how to communicate between them a little but, is it only their text I'll see in japanese or will I have to see all ITEMS as well? because if thats the case then I would be a bit lost. Or if possible, is there some sort of page/program i could have open to help me translate some of it like item names?

Nitro Vordex
Aug 10, 2008, 04:35 PM
Hey everyone, can we stay on topic please?

Ok if I moved over to the JP servers, I have played with JP before and know how to communicate between them a little but, is it only their text I'll see in japanese or will I have to see all ITEMS as well? because if thats the case then I would be a bit lost. Or if possible, is there some sort of page/program i could have open to help me translate some of it like item names?
The whole game(and by whole I mean text) will be in Katakana. However, I think someone posted a link to a Wiki with most of the basic symbols, not sure about translation though.

Triple_S
Aug 10, 2008, 04:39 PM
The wiki link had the symbols and their romanized(?) equivalents. Of course, this will just give you Romaji(?) and not the English equivalent. There is an online Japanese-to-English dictionary that can translate a word into English, although I doubt it'll help for abbreviated words and the like.

Indica
Aug 10, 2008, 06:00 PM
How hard is it to say "JP" (which is shorter, mind you) or "JPN" instead?

That's not my point though. I would rather say Japan or Japanese. I have never used the word Jap in my life nor does it sound right. Poles or Pole is an abbreviation for Polish person and that is not derogatory, but I dont like saying that either.

bp_shoruko
Aug 10, 2008, 06:21 PM
You could always get rosetta stone to learn japanese.

Silver_Wyrm
Aug 10, 2008, 06:36 PM
You could always get rosetta stone to learn japanese.

hah I know some of spoken but not the symbols, but yea I found that stuff on the wiki, I'll probably try this later, it looked like something I could get semi-used too. Won't be any expert but should be able to manage

Broodstar1337
Aug 10, 2008, 06:49 PM
The only thing you really need to know to play on the JP servers are your katakana and your shortcuts. You can get by with very basic formalities like "Hello" and "Congratulations", so if you're like me and have no motivation to learn Japanese properly, you're not completely fucked.

Google Translate is a godsend for item searches.

Bupon
Aug 10, 2008, 07:49 PM
わたし わ ぶぽん さん です。 

ashley50
Aug 10, 2008, 07:52 PM
わたし わ ぶぽん さん です。 

ok...your name's Bupon.

anything else?

Bupon
Aug 10, 2008, 08:07 PM
ひ! わたし わ ジュろく さい です。

ashley50
Aug 10, 2008, 08:42 PM
ok...what's next? S and L?

GaNksTa
Aug 10, 2008, 08:45 PM
ひ! わたし わ ジュろく さい です。

I assume you're using a translator, so you do know that you can't copy&paste text into game clients right?

That is unless you're already familiar with the functions of JP IME..

ashley50
Aug 10, 2008, 08:53 PM
I assume you're using a translator, so you do know that you can't copy&paste text into game clients right?

That is unless you're already familiar with the functions of JP IME..

ah yes...no copy/pasting on PSU from translators. You have to know how to type them in. :)

GaNksTa
Aug 10, 2008, 09:23 PM
ah yes...no copy/pasting on PSU from translators. You have to know how to type them in. :)

I remember trying that when I was 10; I was trying to trade an 2H BotD for a 5 bo cta in D2LoD with some German guy... I failed miserably in attempt to bargain with him and he left the game =/

pinkace
Aug 10, 2008, 09:31 PM
i think you will not have a problem communicating with other players. most japanese can type in english.

beatrixkiddo
Aug 10, 2008, 10:26 PM
spoilers: you use は when it's the particle, not わ.

FOnewearl-Lina
Aug 10, 2008, 10:32 PM
i think you will not have a problem communicating with other players. most japanese can type in english.

Though they chose not to.

Zarode
Aug 10, 2008, 10:41 PM
I did pretty well when I went to PSUJP, and I didn't even know a lick of japanese. Did well in JPBB too...

It's not a matter of communication, most of the time, as it is a matter of common sense.

autumn
Aug 10, 2008, 11:54 PM
If you are willing to wade through items being in katakana there shouldn't be much trouble. The importer community is really nice if you worry about playing with people who don't speak the language, and I have a number of Japanese players I like who speak English. Just make sure to be polite, and I'll hope to see you on sometime!

Bupon
Aug 11, 2008, 12:51 AM
Im not using a translator, Watashi wa Bupon san desu. Watashi wa jyu roku sai desu. Dont know if I spelled it all right but you get the ideal. ありがとう ございます、 さよなら。

Kamica
Aug 11, 2008, 07:17 AM
You did make some mistakes.

1. Japanese actually does not use spacing. This matters less though since you also didn't use kanji and katakana/hiragana tends to looks cluttered without spacing.
2. The は mistakes as beatrix mentioned.
3. The "san" is not necessary
4. "Yes"is spelled as "hai"
5. You used a combination of katakana and hiragana for "juroku"

If you want to learn Japanese, I recommend Genki textbooks.

Ontopic:
If you want to know enough to be able to play PSU, I recommend this flash site:
http://www.ichigo.se/kanaflash/kana.swf

The community is helpful and is of reasonable size, even after it being post-event. It is worth it if you don't mind starting over. If you need help signing up, check out the JP PSU IRC channel.

pikachief
Aug 11, 2008, 10:45 AM
How hard was it for the people that did join the Japanese servers.

i thought it was rather easy and i know 0 Japanese ^^

just find someone who is also from US that knows japanese to help u out a bit :D

but really, the only thing hard to figure out is when it has to do with synthesizing, because weapons and armors u can tell what it is by the stars company, and weapon icon, and even if u still cant, look it up by the stats :D

Bupon
Aug 11, 2008, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the website, thats going to be a big help.

Sorry about the double post but I would like to say I have just paid for the game and I will be joining all of the people on the JP PSU servers. I have some things to ask when I make my account on the PSU website my postal code will not work and my last name Horan can not be spelled with Kanji or Kana so what should I do about that. Oh and we should get a vent server or a team speak line for us so we can talk when we play.

beatrixkiddo
Aug 11, 2008, 12:58 PM
The guide linked earlier in this thread has all the info you need to subscribe.

moomoopenguin
Aug 11, 2008, 12:59 PM
*sigh* ok
i just recently joined the jpn severs. it's not that difficult except when searching for items. there's a good group of importers. so you'll have people to help you and play with you to lvl you up and such. i've had a few encounters with the japanese players. i've been trying to get a few phrases that might help me on my quick tabs. and i think it amuses them more than anything. i do however suggest writing down the menus for pretty much eveything. it has made things alot easier than trying to guess at it and get it wrong. other than that make sure you tell someone on here what your character name is so we can get everyone to hand out partner cards and such XD

Aussei
Aug 11, 2008, 01:37 PM
Hello there Bupon, I'm a recent joiner of the importers in the JP servers, though I haven't met anyone yet from that group, but if you do need a hand I will be more than glad to show you arround and teach you Japanese that is important, I major in it and will become a teacher maybe..... So experience is always a good thing in this situation.

Regardless, it was kind of hard being a n00b and all but I joined during the event Shred Darkness, so it was a little easier. I made money fast and found rares fast so I had a boost. The only problem is is the time difference, I live in EST so if I want to play with alot of people I'd need to be up early be on arround 11-12 or stay up till 3-5 in the morning..... Since it's summer right now I can do tha but I dunno for how much longer I can.

I'm still not quite perfect in the reading of Kanji but everything else is fine, Japanese people are nice, or as far as I've met and seen, the ones that I know were comfortable to know I was American but I dont know if that was just because I speak their language or what. There are games though sometimes that say "Japanese only" "日本人オンリー" stay away from those, XD

Post is long, good luck.

...Oh I forgot also, my character on the Japanese server is Et'Ya Yuenria, Also to let other importers know I wouldn't mind some english speaking people on my Partner Card list~! Time difference, time difference~.

Whenever it is you join just leave me a message somewhere and we can meet up and I'll help you out~.

Bupon
Aug 11, 2008, 02:11 PM
Right now im am learning ひらがな。