PDA

View Full Version : 3d blacksmith shop

Skye-Fox713
Aug 13, 2008, 12:51 AM
[SPOILER-BOX]94700883[/SPOILER-BOX]

I know this isn't fan work but I'am very satisfied with the results that I got from my first time using Maya 2008, and I just wanted to show you all here on pso-world.

Neith
Aug 13, 2008, 05:33 AM
Heh, I did similar things to this in University. I used Discreet 3DS Max though, rather than Maya.

Anyway, it looks decent, and I can tell it's meant to be what you say it is. Looking at it, the only problem I can see (to me at least) is that the texture used on the wood floor is too large. What I mean is, the grain looks too thick, and the 'knothole' in the wood consequently looks a bit large. I'm not sure if you've handed it in yet, but maybe adjust the mapping of that texture, and scale it down. Obviously, not too much or you won't see the detail- but enough to make it look more realistic.

Other than that, looks nice- it seems to have rendered very well. I know how long this kind of thing can take, so good work on it.

Skye-Fox713
Aug 13, 2008, 06:42 AM
Unfortunately I've already handed it in, and I know the texture on the floor is a bit large. I noticed it about 3 hours after I had handed it in, other wise the floor texture would have been sized properly. If I was able to do it in 3D Max it would have been Much less of a pain to do, but I did it for my 'Hard surface and organic modeling class', with is pritty much an 'intro to maya class' for my major.

Neith
Aug 13, 2008, 07:19 AM
You're not the only one to notice things after hand-in, haha. I made a working game with a group, and after hand-in, it stopped working (one of the key NPCs wouldn't display his dialog properly). We couldn't fix it after hand-in, but got marked good anyway because the examiner was my lecturer who'd seen the game working at an earlier point :lol:

I've not used Maya, so I don't know how easy/hard it is to use. I don't think the large texture will hurt the project too much- might drop a few marks for it but I can't see it being anything too major. The rest of the model looks fine to me.

Texturing can be so boring :lol: I remember spending days on my final Uni project texturing roads. That wasn't fun, at all. >_>

thematesV2
Aug 15, 2008, 08:20 AM
yea, the large texture doesn't bother me too much either..

the only thing that really bugs me is the floating highlight over the coals. spotlight pointed up and out of the coals? anyhow, not too bad, i wish maya would work on my home machine. it kills the cpu....

Themates

Skye-Fox713
Aug 15, 2008, 07:28 PM
accualy its just a omie light that's hovering above the coals, and the coal texture itself is glowing as well.