PDA

View Full Version : My Computer Experience

leblancdiaz
Aug 17, 2008, 05:16 PM
*Warning expect a long post*

My Computer Experience

As it is over the last 15 years of my life I have had very bad experiences with computers. I am computer savvy but that's beside the point. For the longest time I have been saying I am going to get a computer. Every time I "want" to get a computer several factors come into play. I think it's the lack of not having a computer that can run stuff in general and run programs and software decently that it has put me into this bitter state of mind.

I think it all started at the end of my grade 3 year when I was accused of closing an important email from a teacher which I did not do and they had no liable proof that I did otherwise. Then there was grade 8. At the beginning of grade 8, I was excused of hacking the school system so that students could play games. For starter's I was raised in a catholic school, that being said why the *censored* would I want to hack a catholic school system in order to play games? Secondly the computers at the school were all Macintosh need I say more. Pretty much nothing "really bad happens" to Mac users on the sense they have alot of stuff to worry about already. Not saying it's the best system around but you get my drift.

Then there was the time in my high school years were I was accused again as a hacker for making an subliminal message out of the DOS and sending it to every computer in the city that was a public school. That's not as bad as the people that looked at *censored* throughout the day. Hey I will admit it, we've all done it, my classes were boring anyways and I lack discipline. There was also the time in my computer classes in high school that very few of us actually got to do tech work. I was refused that option due to the high school not trusting me on there computers for numerous years. A perfect example was one of my friends were in the class that I was suppose to do but wasn't denied the same fate I was which pissed me off because I paid to do the course and they refused to give me a refund and afterwards he said they really didn't do tech work except make a big lan game of starcraft and counterstrike and played that for the whole year.

It was the end of my high school years were I decided that I wanted a computer and boy let me tell you that was one trip you didn't like to take. So at the following summer I was looking online for a computer to buy I had some cash at the time. I didn't have a credit card at the time and my parents refused to buy anything online with there credit card; and refused to purchase anything in there States online. Yay go living in Canada for the win.

I then came across a Canadian site that was 8 hours away. For the sake of the company I'm going to call it Company X. We were going to go to this specific city were Company X was located and that's were it went all down hill. For starters, the place was a *censored* and a half to find because of were it was located, myself and my dad spent almost 2 hours trying to find the place so we asked for directions from various business and shops they said it was over there, on that street, behind this building. Well that's alot of help when you think of it. They said it was on the right hand side of this street. So me and my dad kept going down this street back and forth trying to look for the place. We finally find it hidden off behind a building that you couldn't see from the road and you had to go down this street in order to get to the place.

Finally, we found the place and I was going to get a computer. So we walk into the place and spend nearly an hour looking at different custom builds they currently had on display. I finally choose one and then they say there is nothing wrong with the system except a memory issue that they could they should have it fixed in the next week before we left. So me being stubborn said why not it's only a week, what's the worse that can happen? Strike 2! They call up about a week later saying that the problem was still not fixed and that it needed more time and there techs have been losing sleep and dignity trying to fix the problem. I should have said fuck that I don't want it. You can get brand new parts from everything and rebuild a brand new machine. Which they offered to do. Strike 3! They said it would be built in the next couple of days and there shouldn't be any problems. I should have trusted my gut but my parents insisted that I wait it out.

I said it's not going to be done on time can you just ship it? Company X refused to ship it because "a computer was to valuable and expensive to ship" So because of that factor they said they would do a rush order and have it done by the end of 3 days. But guess what it was on a long weekend I didn't realize it until I got it. So we bring it back home and *censored* starts acting up. First thing I did was call Company X up wandering what the *censored* was going on???? They said contact there contact there technical support and see if they can do anything.

The call was then transferred over to Company X's technical support. Surprisingly they had a recording then someone came to talk to help out. I must say there technical support team was awesome at answering questions and it was better service then what I got in the shop anyways.

They told me to do various things and it still failed. They told me to send the computer back and they would cover the charge, which they didn't nope when postal service tried to cod they said the shipper would pay the cost so I get a bill about a day later saying the postal service wanted payment for something I thought was already paid for.

Not hearing a response in two weeks I decide to call them up and ask them whats the status on my computer. At first they said that it wasn't in there system to be repaired. I told them I sent it two weeks prior in for repairs then they said it would take a least a day to see if it's even there to be repaired to begin with.

So I call back up and ask them what the status of my computer. They said it was there but it was sitting collecting dust because no one had touched it in two weeks. I was like why are you wasting my time if your not going to fix it. This was still in the 30 day money back guaranteed but I only used the computer for a couple of hours and the rest of the time it was being shipped back to my house and there department. I then stated that I wanted a refund in full because am not satisfied with the product I paid for.

I not trying to sound like a dick but come on when you spend 3 grand on a computer you think it be built right and that there wouldn't be problems.I even made a 20 page report on the problem, how to recreate the problem, screen shots of the error messages that kept reappearing and the blue screens of death messages. Did they read it, not on my watch it seemed, they then shipped it to a closer repair shop same company but not the same store it was first built in. So I wait another week or so before I get a response from Company X saying the problem is solved and it would be shipped asap. I wait about another week for my computer to arrive.

Not even an hour later same *censored* different problem. This time I was royally pissed. I then got my parents involved because I didn't want to get involved anymore and then my parents were pissed off, so we complained to Company X, they said take it to management. Call transfer, manager couldn't do anything about it, take it to corporations. After what seemed to be countless calls of telephone tag they finally agreed to do a refund, but wait it gets better. Apparently they were not going to give a full refund because an instruction booklet was missing from the video card box that I never even touched in the first place.

This also doesn't include the time I spent talking to Microsoft Technical Support because the technicians that were suppose to fix my computer used up all the installation times reinstalling XP and Company X wanted me to buy another copy of XP and I said *Censored* That! you can pay me for the copy of Windows XP and you can fix my computer or give me a full refund.

After many negotiations later they do a full refund like 6 months to a year after this tragedy had happen and then because of this experience my parents refused to buy me another computer unless it was locally made and even then they said I had to pay it myself. By the time this had happened I spent the money I had in repaying my parents Visa Bill. So I was broke and jacked out of a computer.

Almost two years past and I still haven't gotten a computer because of real life issues that everyone has. It is now my second year of college and another computer course I'm taking due to Office Administration completion I am know being accused again for instead of paying attention that I am on websites and other games while the class is going. Sure I will admit I was at the time but it was only me that would get singled out every time in a class of thirty that were doing the same thing. I don't know if the word from the high school years traveled but they were starting not to trust me on the college computers, yet I still use them everyday that I am there for course work.

I then have a friend that was moving out of town was selling a computer for $400. I was desperate not having a computer nearly for 4 years excluding the laptop I got from the college that can and won't work with Windows Vista due to it not being compadable with Vista. So I decide to by the computer. After I get it he forgets to mention that he took a video card out to sell for his own profit and because of that factor my computer has been acting really up because of this factor and the computer is nearly 8 years old made back in 2000 so it can't run anything because it needs to be upgraded nearly three generations ahead of it. *censored* I'm lucky if it runs solitaire without making an error and blue screen.

For the time being and this is starting to become a long rant I still haven't got a computer that is brand new because of real life issues, the time I did have some cash saved up Factors X,Y,Z came into play. The computer I do have can't run anything because of it being three generations behind.

I am currently sticking to consoles and using the computer I do have to get some programs like PSU and WoW working but that's another story and I'm not getting into. Consoles are the only thing that hasn't *censored* up in my life of gaming, so I splurge more into consoles then saving up for a PC because I know something will happen if it isn't brand new.

I wish I was making this up but I'm not and this is probably going to get edited anyways this is my two cents and my computer experience over the last 15 years of my life.

/end rant

MetaZedlen
Aug 18, 2008, 08:29 PM
Well, I have a couple of things to say:

1. You don't really have to censor anything, this IS a rants forum, and it is not like anybody hasn't heard it before. (not trying to be an ass)

2. Is there a computer outlet or BestBuy around your area? If your parents don't want to buy anything off of the net then you could just get a pre-built for the time being, and just go from there (but unfortunately you are stuck with Vista...).

BlackRose
Aug 18, 2008, 10:09 PM
(but unfortunately you are stuck with Vista...).

I believe all you have to do is decline the EULA and microsoft sends you a check for the value of the OS ($200), that's the way XP was. Might fact-check me before you try it, though.

leblancdiaz
Aug 18, 2008, 11:38 PM
I believe all you have to do is decline the EULA and microsoft sends you a check for the value of the OS ($200), that's the way XP was. Might fact-check me before you try it, though.

I actually tried for that when talking to Microsoft Technical Support but because it was from a computer shop they said it was probably a burnt copy even though the serial key was legit and they refused to send me a check.

Well, I have a couple of things to say:

1. You don't really have to censor anything, this IS a rants forum, and it is not like anybody hasn't heard it before. (not trying to be an ass)

2. Is there a computer outlet or BestBuy around your area? If your parents don't want to buy anything off of the net then you could just get a pre-built for the time being, and just go from there (but unfortunately you are stuck with Vista...).

Sadly there isn't a Best Buy or Futureshop or any type of hardcore computer outlet located were I am the nearest civilization is 4 and a half hours away. There is computer stores were I live I have had good service for 18 years that I've been in the city. They do custom builts, so whenever I get the cash from the government or when I have some spare cash lying around I'm going to put at least 5 grand into a uber computer.