PDA

View Full Version : THEORY: PSU Sequel to be PS3 Only

CHA0TIX
Aug 18, 2008, 08:35 AM
With PSP doing so well in Japan, SOJ must be thinking about what to do with the brand next.

It makes sence to me that a sequel to Phantasy Star Universe would be totaly run out of Japan with one set of servers. Perhaps they would even think about having something similer to PSO's icon system to beat the language barrier.

While I am all for this happening, and I'd totaly get on the Japanese version day of release, i fear that this next-gen PSU would never see the light of day on another console or PC, due to lack of intrest on 360 in Japan, and the usual cell processor limitations.

Can anyone see this NOT happening?

Csero
Aug 18, 2008, 09:53 AM
I have always wondered something. Some of my friends from PSU play FF11 also on the 360. FF11 is older game, yet they ecounter other players from the PS2, and PC. And those people can be multi-national. How come this dosn't happen with PSU? Seems like if everyone played as one huge community and got updates at the same time, people would be much more satisfied.

Billy Mitchell
Aug 18, 2008, 09:54 AM
This is a good theory. I think you should post it all over the internet.

darkante
Aug 18, 2008, 09:56 AM
I donīt see why the sequel canīt come up on PC.
Not everyone owns a PS3 ftr.

And often it seems any PS3 "Exclusive" games still get ported to itīs mate Xbox.
I got very suprised to see that DMC 4 to even come to Xbox, so now i think itīs very possible.

Nintendo probably should stop marking games with "Exclusive" also seeing as it never really is anymore. Their brains is elsewhere, just as much as fail Segac.

Arika
Aug 18, 2008, 09:59 AM
Nintendo probably should stop marking games with "Exclusive" also seeing as it never really is anymore. Their brains is elsewhere, just as much as fail Segac.
Nintendo shouldn't stop, because their exclusive game made them a lot of money.
Especially just Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon already contribute billions.
I m pretty sure that it is the only console that really successful on exclusive things.

As for PSU next expansion to be on PS3 and merge server? I m really hope so, it would be best of best!!
However, I don't hope so high on it.

Billy Mitchell
Aug 18, 2008, 10:02 AM
Guys, don't fight. You all have good idea.

darkante
Aug 18, 2008, 10:07 AM
Nintendo shouldn't stop. Their exclusive game made them a lot of money.
especially just Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon already contribute billions.
I know that stuff, you miss my point.
I meant in they can stop lying in your face all the time with those symbols?
"Exclusive" should be ffs exclusive to that console.
That annoyes me a bit

mll
Aug 18, 2008, 10:10 AM
I really don't see it happening. The PS3 isn't popular enough in japan for it to be worthwhile dropping the PS2 basically.
Also they have nothing to gain by making it an exclusive. Sony won't pay to keep this game exclusive (they wouldn't pay to keep FFXIII exclusive why would they pay to keep this).

As for linking servers, again not going to happen. They would have to get permission from microsoft to link the 360 servers with the Jp servers (if they were going to give permission then they would have already let them link up with EU / NA pc, ps2 servers). The PC / PS2 servers aren't popular enough to bother linking them. Seeing as they'd have to develop some means of communication (like the symbol chat in PSO) - just not worth it.

Yunfa
Aug 18, 2008, 10:10 AM
Although I own an PS3, I hope your theory does not come forth into reality in the future years. Now if there was some way to transfer my acount from the 360 to the new servers, I wouldn't mind.

Bottom line, PS3 exclusive, PSU? Not very likely. Usually the exclusives for PS3 require [Metal Gear Solid 4 & Resistance] the hardware from that of a Playstaion 3. (Afterall the world's fastest super computer is made from the PS3 Hardware.)

CHA0TIX
Aug 18, 2008, 10:16 AM
I really don't see it happening. The PS3 isn't popular enough in japan for it to be worthwhile dropping the PS2 basically.
Also they have nothing to gain by making it an exclusive. Sony won't pay to keep this game exclusive (they wouldn't pay to keep FFXIII exclusive why would they pay to keep this).

As for linking servers, again not going to happen. They would have to get permission from microsoft to link the 360 servers with the Jp servers (if they were going to give permission then they would have already let them link up with EU / NA pc, ps2 servers). The PC / PS2 servers aren't popular enough to bother linking them. Seeing as they'd have to develop some means of communication (like the symbol chat in PSO) - just not worth it.

wow.

- I didn't say this would happen now. I said next-gen. What other next-gen console do you think ps2 players will go for in japan?

- I never said Sony would pay to keep it exclusive. My theory/fear is that they won't bother making it for anything else.

- Why would you want to link a new game like my theoretical PSU Sequel to AOTI. That's just silly.

Arika
Aug 18, 2008, 10:17 AM
I see much more possibility for xbox server to merge with PC/PS2 server.
but really, not the SOJ, because they get large enough population to make room server lag during peak event time already. They can't handle too many people in the same server, that is why they separate world 1- world 2 in the past.
However, even we all US merge together, they can handle this fine.
permission from xbox360 shouldn't be hard as long as it worth pay for it.
However, Eng base population isn't high enough for they to considering that

MrPOW
Aug 18, 2008, 10:20 AM
I have always wondered something. Some of my friends from PSU play FF11 also on the 360. FF11 is older game, yet they ecounter other players from the PS2, and PC. And those people can be multi-national. How come this dosn't happen with PSU? Seems like if everyone played as one huge community and got updates at the same time, people would be much more satisfied.

I wonder this as well. PSO was awesome when it was everyone together on the same servers. If FFXI was able to do 360/PS2/PC, Sega must have decided against it for some reason...who knows.

On topic, I hope Sega announces an outright sequel to PSO, and soon. I'm one of the people who likes PSU just as much, and probably more than PSO. However, PSU tarnished the PS name for a lot of people for different reasons, so the first step in getting these people back would be to staraight-up call the new game Phantasy Star Online 2. I don't know about being PS3 exclusive, but I certainly wouldn't mind it since it's the only system that has a HD standard. PS3/PC might be a better combination, though. That said, they need to announce and start working on it immediately or else they risk getting the game out at the very tail-end of this generation just like with PSU. Yeah, it's on the PC and 360, which was still pretty new when the game came out, but the game was developed for the PS2 and then ported. I'd like a game designed from the ground up for a next-gen system and with time left for it to thrive on it. I don't see why the content left on PSU can't last right up until the release of the new game...they could probably time it perfectly.

I'm sure Sega learned a lot from their mistakes developing PSU and I expect a much better effort this time around :)

Kizeragi
Aug 18, 2008, 10:29 AM
PS3 only? How about PC only. Consoles load slower than PC. True story.

mll
Aug 18, 2008, 10:38 AM
@ Chaotix

Ah fair enough, I thought we we're talking about a PSU expansion.
- JP ps2 players have already upgraded, it called a Wii. An exclusive Wii phantasy star? Now that i can see.

- Most games are developed on a pc and ported to PS3 / 360, it really isn't much extra effort to port to another console, the only reason not to is if one company is paying you a crapload of money.

Cracka_J
Aug 18, 2008, 10:38 AM
I remember hearing alot of jp players are just as put off by the ps3 as everyone else in the world. Sure, mgs4 has brought a lot of people to the system, but its one frikkin game. PS3's lifespan won't be determined by mgs4.

Lots of developers, now including Squarenix, are bailing from the exclusive sony ship to hit worldwide markets, that the 360 currently dominates. So while segac releasing a psu sequel for JP PS3 would actually make sense to me because of the massive amounts of fail involved, it would be a huge disappointment.

Anyway, the point of your post is that the PSP game is doing well, so they will put it on PS3. PSP sales =/= PS3 sales. PSP is available at a decent price, is arguably the most technically advanced handheld, and already has a great library of games (not slamming ds. ds is great as well, but different. I own both ;)) PS3 is an expensive home system, and there are many alternative choices a gamer could make for their home console, or buy a gaming PC for long term investment. Sure, a gamer that already has a PS3 may pick the game up, but the gamer that doesn't won't buy a system over it.

That's something Phantasy Star Portable IS doing. It is selling systems as well as the game. People that had been on the fence over getting this system now can get both a PSP and Phantasy Star for around $200 bucks; a great deal to a lot of people that have enjoyed PSU and not want it wherever they go. PS3 is an expensive peice of machinery that not many are willing to invest in, especially when 360 is dominating worldwide. To release the next PSU on a system with a very small installed player base, in only one country, to put it bluntly, is a very, very bad idea.

MrPOW
Aug 18, 2008, 10:40 AM
- Most games are developed on a pc and ported to PS3 / 360, it really isn't much extra effort to port to another console, the only reason not to is if one company is paying you a crapload of money.

There is a big difference between being developed on a PC and being developed for a PC.

CHA0TIX
Aug 18, 2008, 10:44 AM

Nope. PS3 can install games for fast access, just like a PC.

Also - Please re-read my post. Why would SOJ make a PC psu after Blue Burst.

It's all about the PS3 in the future for them.

I'm no ps3 fanboy, i'd rather see a new Phantasy Star game on 360 and PC, but I just don't see it happening. I only use my PlayStation for blu-ray movies.

mll
Aug 18, 2008, 10:45 AM
There is a big difference between being developed on a PC and being developed for a PC.

True, my point was more that it wouldn't require a great deal of extra effort to port to a second console.

Meta77
Aug 18, 2008, 10:51 AM
wait does not the 360 have more players than the ps2/pc servers?

MrPOW
Aug 18, 2008, 10:53 AM
True, my point was more that it wouldn't require a great deal of extra effort to port to a second console.

Which is true. I'd really prefer the game being on one system, unless they're going to link the servers, just to keep the community centralized. Cross-platform play between XBL and PSN just won't happen...so hopefully it's one or the other, and then PC thrown in there for good measure.

And worldwide, I wouldn't really say the Xbox 360 is "dominating" the PS3. In America, sure, but worldwide its something like Xbox 360 - 20 million, PS3 - 14.5 million. The 360 hasn't even cracked a million in Japan yet. So yeah, my vote goes towards PS3/PC...but I own everything, so in the end it doesn't really matter as long as the game is good :D.

wait does not the 360 have more players than the ps2/pc servers?
Only on the Western servers. The Japanese Ps2/PC servers dwarf it.

kevington
Aug 18, 2008, 11:02 AM
LOL, no. Sounds more like wishful thinking.

Please see Sega's multiplatform stance (Virtua Fighter 5, etc.), FFXI and the recent FFXIII announcement.

Middle
Aug 18, 2008, 11:03 AM
I hope for a PS game for Wii but not as an exclusive one .... every PS Online Gmae were released for PC too ... why they should stop that?

and for the ppl saying that an mmorpg like that wont happen for Wii because of the Friend codes ....
there are aready online games without FCs ... (EA Sports Games f.e. )
and now the wii gets voice chat and has keyboard support too...
all i can do is hoping for that gonna happen ...
I am not very confident though .... because I'm a realist

Kylie
Aug 18, 2008, 11:15 AM
I know, right? SOA doesn't have enough money to run a good server, so I don't get why SOJ refuses to let us on with their players like they did in the PSO days. Anyway, I don't see this happening. Like mll said, they have nothing to gain by making it exclusive.

Winter_of_uno
Aug 18, 2008, 11:20 AM
I think Segac is gonna release the next PS on Wii. That would give them a good excuse to leave game appearance as it is. Nintendo announced Pay to Play Stuff a while ago anyway IIRC.

Anyhow, they should try to focus on this game a bit for change and bring real content updates more often than every 2 months. Not too many people gonna play a PS successor on any gaming platform if the support stays as it is.

DreXxiN
Aug 18, 2008, 12:28 PM
360 is dominating worldwide

el oh el.

WHlTEKNIGHT
Aug 18, 2008, 12:39 PM
I know, right? SOA doesn't have enough money to run a good server, so I don't get why SOJ refuses to let us on with their players like they did in the PSO days. Anyway, I don't see this happening. Like mll said, they have nothing to gain by making it exclusive.

Because of all the little kiddies hacking the game to extinction.

9lotus
Aug 18, 2008, 12:44 PM
If Sega were to release a console-only, Japan-only sequel to PSU, then it only makes sense to release it on PS3 or Wii.

On the other hand, I don't think it makes sense to exclude the PC if you're making an online subscription based game(if that's what a hypothetical PSU sequel would be), or to ignore the massive US/Europe market.

If Sega were to create another online PS game though, I hope they properly advertise the game for a Western release, and make sure they cut down on the number of serious game security exploits.

Cracka_J
Aug 18, 2008, 12:47 PM
el oh el.

Everywhere outside of jp, buddy. I'd consider that worldwide.

Check some numbarz.

Zarode
Aug 18, 2008, 12:59 PM

Sorry, I don't want to spend four times the money I spent on my PS3 to get a decent computer. :>

I remember hearing alot of jp players are just as put off by the ps3 as everyone else in the world. Sure, mgs4 has brought a lot of people to the system, but its one frikkin game. PS3's lifespan won't be determined by mgs4.

Yes, because NO OTHER GAMES ARE CLEARLY COMING OUT FOR THE PS3 HURR HURR

360 ONRY HURF DURF

Lots of developers, now including Squarenix, are bailing from the exclusive sony ship to hit worldwide markets,

Actually, SquareEnix just wants more money. Versus and Agito are still exclusive...

that the 360 currently dominates.

lol

So while segac releasing a psu sequel for JP PS3 would actually make sense to me because of the massive amounts of fail involved, it would be a huge disappointment.

Man, you guys have lost all faith. Oh wait look what PSU did on the 360 lmao

Anyway, the point of your post is that the PSP game is doing well, so they will put it on PS3. PSP sales =/= PS3 sales.

Pft, so?

(not slamming ds. ds is great as well, but different. I own both ;))

Seriously, if you have to cover your bases like that, you really REALLY have to rethink your posts... (not slamming the guy or anything LOLZ! ;) please don't hurt me :disapprove: )

PS3 is an expensive home system,

Hold on. So is the 360. Don't go around saying it's not. I work at a freakin' Gamestop. Sure, you can buy the core system for about 200 bucks, then you need a harddrive (60~120 bucks), and that is just to get it running. The PS3 may be MORE expensive, but you certainly get a higher quality system. The only reason the 360 is doing well is because it has the software to back it up. PS3 is picking up a ton of momentum, with it's new line of software coming out.

and there are many alternative choices a gamer could make for their home console,

I think you forgot to put some blant 360 advertising in there, so let me fix that for you.

and there is the 360 alternative choice a gamer should make for their home console,

That sounds about right, considering how bad your post truly is...

or buy a gaming PC for long term investment.

A year then obsolete is not a long term investment. It's a sinkhole.

Sure, a gamer that already has a PS3 may pick the game up, but the gamer that doesn't won't buy a system over it.

Wasn't this the same argument about Tales of Vesperia in Japan?

That's something Phantasy Star Portable IS doing. It is selling systems as well as the game.

Sort of. It's more like the people who bought Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G are getting another great WLAN game for their collection...

a great deal to a lot of people that have enjoyed PSU and not want it wherever they go.

Do you people EVER proof-read your posts? EVER?!

PS3 is an expensive peice of machinery that not many are willing to invest in,

It's either that or a 100 dollar blu-ray player. lmao

especially when 360 is dominating worldwide.

Oh, you jest~ There is a difference between dominating and doing okay.

To release the next PSU on a system with a very small installed player base, in only one country, to put it bluntly, is a very, very bad idea.

Japan loves Phantasy Star and eats it up. It would be a very good idea.

afterthoughtz
Aug 18, 2008, 01:05 PM
*rolls eyes* here we go agian....

Cracka_J
Aug 18, 2008, 01:08 PM
oh noes gamestop employees!! *runs*

also, congrats on spotting my 1 typo I was too lazy to fix ^^

gryphonvii
Aug 18, 2008, 01:08 PM
The only way it would be ps3 exclusive is if
1. It was one server for all regions
2. It waa Japan exclusive. Because Everyone knows that while ps3 has a great base in Japan its not as popular as 360 in the states and they would gain more money if they allowed the large 360 population in america to play.
Seeing "how well" PSU did in america with most of the population being on 360, it would be a dumb move on segas part to not try and reach as many customers as possible.

amtalx
Aug 18, 2008, 01:14 PM
Just for the record:

360 has a worldwide installed base lead over PS3.
PS3 sells more units worldwide than 360.
Wii shits all over everybody.

gryphonvii
Aug 18, 2008, 01:20 PM
but in japan ps3 is more popular than 360
main reason for 360's lead worldwide is because it was released the first of this console generation.

DreXxiN
Aug 18, 2008, 01:30 PM
Hmm Japan has about 75 times our playerbase.

I think putting it on a popular JP system is a good idea, JUST A THOUGHT

Zarode
Aug 18, 2008, 01:36 PM
oh noes gamestop employees!! *runs*

also, congrats on spotting my 1 typo I was too lazy to fix ^^

Thanks, I feel so accomplished now. Just like...like I...!

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/2118/achievedex2hv2.gif (http://imageshack.us)
http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/2118/achievedex2hv2.96600a3156.jpg (http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=401&i=achievedex2hv2.gif)

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/2424/achievexm2.gif (http://imageshack.us)
http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/2424/achievexm2.ccacb9c6a1.jpg (http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=149&i=achievexm2.gif)

omg achievement unlocked ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^

also, lol imageshack ads

Rambo!
Aug 18, 2008, 02:47 PM
Sorry, I don't want to spend four times the money I spent on my PS3 to get a decent computer. :>

Actually a good gaming computer can be built for between 600 and 700 dollars and along with being a great gaming platform also does more than just gaming IMO a better return on your dollars.

Actually, SquareEnix just wants more money

I would consider that trying to exploit the world market BUY SELLING MORE GAMES.

Pft, so?

A very intelligent response to an argument made....... if I was 5

Hold on. So is the 360. Don't go around saying it's not. I work at a freakin' Gamestop. Sure, you can buy the core system for about 200 bucks, then you need a harddrive (60~120 bucks), and that is just to get it running. The PS3 may be MORE expensive, but you certainly get a higher quality system. The only reason the 360 is doing well is because it has the software to back it up. PS3 is picking up a ton of momentum, with it's new line of software coming out.

This is very true I can't say anything bad about this the ps3 is just a more reliable home system the 360 though has clearly better software or else it would not have sold as much and a certain game series*cough* halo *cough* definitely helped sell the 360 even though IMO it was all hype and not that great a game.

A year then obsolete is not a long term investment. It's a sinkhole.
not really obsolete it only becomes that when it can no longer play games coming onto the market at decent frame rates A computer built well rounded for gaming should play games for 2 or 3 years after it was built my last gaming system built in 2005 lasted me till spring of 2008 and it play every game I wanted it to at good setting and resolution that I bought. I just built a new system and that system should last me another 3 years if all goes well.

It's either that or a 100 dollar blu-ray player. lmao

I haven't checked the ps3 price lately but I don't think its 100 bucks unless you buy from a less than legal source

I think the age of platform exclusive titles (baring nintendo games) made by 2nd and 3rd party developers is coming to an end in general and we will soon see very few exclusive titles at all. Its similar to what happened with the pc industry a few years ago with Mac OSX Windows and Linux. There used to be tons of OS exclusive apps and now that number has shrunk because it has become far easier to port to other platforms and its the same with the gaming industry. There is also far more money to be had by supporting most of the platforms since they all run and similar speeds on similar hardware.

gryphonvii
Aug 18, 2008, 02:52 PM
Hmm Japan has about 75 times our playerbase.

I think putting it on a popular JP system is a good idea, JUST A THOUGHT

not saying putting it on a jp popular system is a bad thought, just saying that making it exclusive to that system is a bad thought if they want to reach a larger worldwide market. But seing how well sega treats their international customers it wouldn't urprise me to just ditch the states and EU all together

Whitewarrior52
Aug 18, 2008, 02:59 PM
To be honest, I don't think there will be another PSU sequal beyond Phantasy Star Portable. But if there was it would most likely be for PC as well as PS3 (and most likely Xbox 360 eventually). I could see it being most likely for PC if there was one though, but that's just me.

Zarode
Aug 18, 2008, 03:16 PM
Actually a good gaming computer can be built for between 600 and 700 dollars and along with being a great gaming platform also does more than just gaming IMO a better return on your dollars.

Reminds me of YCS: PC GAMING STILL LIVES

I would consider that trying to exploit the world market BUY SELLING MORE GAMES.

lol

HURR MY COMMON SENSE BE POWER

A very intelligent response to an argument made....... if I was 5

I pride myself in baffling you dorks.

This is very true I can't say anything bad about this the ps3 is just a more reliable home system the 360 though has clearly better software or else it would not have sold as much and a certain game series*cough* halo *cough* definitely helped sell the 360 even though IMO it was all hype and not that great a game.

No, I mean...

You know what. Just keep believing that. You must be one of those delusional individuals who think they are a hardcore gamer...

not really obsolete it only becomes that when it can no longer play games coming onto the market at decent frame rates A computer built well rounded for gaming should play games for 2 or 3 years after it was built my last gaming system built in 2005 lasted me till spring of 2008 and it play every game I wanted it to at good setting and resolution that I bought. I just built a new system and that system should last me another 3 years if all goes well.

YOU COULD START USING MORE PUNCTUATION, IT WON'T HURT.

But I have yet to see a computer that wasn't obsoleted because the NEXT BIG THING came out six months later. Sure, that doesn't mean you can't use it, but I'm just saying: Keeping up with the best of the best on the PC is a huge sinkhole. And no, that six hundred dollar graphics card is not making your internet faster.

And NO LESSONS ON BUILDING A COMPUTER TO ME. I've built enough to know something about them. I know you don't have to upgrade them every time a new hardware comes out, but when you think about it, that is how the companies want you to act.

I haven't checked the ps3 price lately but I don't think its 100 bucks unless you buy from a less than legal source

I meant one thousand. OOPS, A MISTAKE! ARGUMENT INSTANTLY INVALID! Don't worry, I caught your mistake too. It was leagues way stupider then mine, too.

I think the age of platform exclusive titles (baring nintendo games) made by 2nd and 3rd party developers is coming to an end in general and we will soon see very few exclusive titles at all.

Eh. So says Rareware and Media Molecule...

Its similar to what happened with the pc industry a few years ago with Mac OSX Windows and Linux.

Ahahahaha...

There used to be tons of OS exclusive apps and now that number has shrunk because it has become far easier to port to other platforms and its the same with the gaming industry.

Then why do I still see Mac and Linux only apps still? THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE

There is also far more money to be had by supporting most of the platforms since they all run and similar speeds on similar hardware.

rofl

You keep on believing that.

Cracka_J
Aug 18, 2008, 03:23 PM
psst...rambo.
slowly walk away from the thread before he hits you up for a game informer sub.

Zarode
Aug 18, 2008, 03:27 PM
psst...rambo.

I bet you wanna reserve Queers of War 2.

Laquill
Aug 18, 2008, 03:29 PM
I hope they don't ask me If I want to pre-order this game.

Rambo!
Aug 18, 2008, 03:33 PM
psst...rambo.

Nah I haven't set my foot inside of a Failstop since my Gamecube days don't need them most of those magazines fail anyway

Jinto117
Aug 18, 2008, 05:09 PM
While I am all for this happening, and I'd totaly get on the Japanese version day of release, i fear that this next-gen PSU would never see the light of day on another console or PC, due to lack of intrest on 360 in Japan, and the usual cell processor limitations.

Can anyone see this NOT happening?

Listen, the Japanese know more now then ever that exclusives will get them no where. Company's like SquareEnix have learned that the hard way. The Phantasy Star series has always been a console game first and foremost, so a PC version of whatever Phantasy Star game Sega may make next will have to take a back seat. What is more interesting is how Sega has a company like Bioware developing a Sonic game for the DS. "Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood" is looking pretty good. Perhaps Sega should consider having Bioware develop the next Phantasy Star game since Sonic Team/Sega are developing nothing but garbage.

joefro
Aug 18, 2008, 05:29 PM
Listen, the Japanese know more now then ever that exclusives will get them no where. Company's like SquareEnix have learned that the hard way. The Phantasy Star series has always been a console game first and foremost, so a PC version of whatever Phantasy Star game Sega may make next will have to take a back seat. What is more interesting is how Sega has a company like Bioware developing a Sonic game for the DS. "Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood" is looking pretty good. Perhaps Sega should consider having Bioware develop the next Phantasy Star game since Sonic Team/Sega are developing nothing but garbage.

Phantasy Star + BioWare = OMG. I just don't see it happening since EA owns BioWare now and the Sonic RPG development started before the EA takeover. Who knows though? Maybe EA would let BioWare make more Sonic based games.

Shinko
Aug 18, 2008, 05:48 PM
Phantasy Star + BioWare = OMG. I just don't see it happening since EA owns BioWare now and the Sonic RPG development started before the EA takeover. Who knows though? Maybe EA would let BioWare make more Sonic based games.

That would be nice but yea i heard about this too. I kinda don't think they'll let them.....

But we can hope......

Yusaku_Kudou
Aug 18, 2008, 08:40 PM
"Hey, let's ignore our biggest user base in North America!"

Yeah, no.

MrPOW
Aug 18, 2008, 09:44 PM
Phantasy Star + Western Dev = Not Phantasy Star

amtalx
Aug 18, 2008, 10:07 PM
Not Phantasy Star = Something that might actually work properly

9lotus
Aug 19, 2008, 02:29 AM
But I have yet to see a computer that wasn't obsoleted because the NEXT BIG THING came out six months later. Sure, that doesn't mean you can't use it, but I'm just saying: Keeping up with the best of the best on the PC is a huge sinkhole. And no, that six hundred dollar graphics card is not making your internet faster.

You don't have to keep up with top-of-the-line PC hardware, unless you demand that your PC be able to run every new game at 2560x1600 with all the eye candy enabled or something.

And honestly, consoles become just as obsolete. Quadcores are quite affordable nowadays, you now have cache sizes that dwarf anything a console has, memory is cheap, ATI/Nvidia's PC offerings have long surpassed the GPUs they designed for the 360/PS3, IBM has a faster Cell processor now, etc.

Sure, a console will be able to play a game that comes out three years after the console's release just fine, but that game won't have cutting-edge graphics either. If hardware obsolescence is such a big deal to you, or if you must have the best graphics available, you're out of luck in any case, unless you keep buying high-end PC hardware.

Also, your graphics card won't make your internet faster, but if you're a programmer, there are very interesting developments in the graphics card industry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPGPU

Then why do I still see Mac and Linux only apps still? THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE

The poster you quoted said the number of OS-exclusive apps is shrinking (whether that's true or not, who knows), he did not say there are no Mac or Linux-only apps anymore.

Jian-Zero
Aug 19, 2008, 05:37 AM
After the unexpected and rather overwhelming success of Phantasy Star Portable---#1 in the first week of August in the Japanese market---maybe the PSU sequel will be a PSP exclusive.

Probably well over half a million units sold by now, you will get the feeling from SEGA's happy corporate faces, Phantasy Star Portable won't be the last Phantasy Star for the Sony PSP. And neither will Alpha's work ends here as well.

Tomeeboy
Aug 19, 2008, 09:55 AM
Pretty sure that making the next Phantasy Star installment PS3-exclusive would not be in Sega's best interest. They've built up a bit of a userbase on the 360, both in the US and Japan, and I don't think they can really afford to shut those players out. I think it's much more likely that we'll see another multi-platform installment of the franchise. They may even decide to take a step back and try to go a bit more "old school" with the next game, seeing as how PSP has done so well in Japan so far, even given it's lack of online elements.

It will be interesting to see what they crank out next. If you think back at PSO's lifespan and compare it with PSU, you might think we are due for the PSU equivalent of an Episode 3 pretty soon ;) I also wouldn't be overly surprised if they took Phantasy Star Portable and turned it into a Wii title, with multiplayer only via friend codes. The Wii's online capability seems to be extremely similar to that of the PSP (especially when you throw in Xlink Kai), which I'm sure makes it very tempting to port over Phantasy Star Portable and cash in on the huge market share of the Wii.

Hrith
Aug 19, 2008, 10:07 AM
In the US only, there are 4.5 million PS3 while there are 11 million Xbox 360, it is definitely not a good idea to deprive yourself from the largest player base.

That's the exact reason S-E decided to release FFXIII on Xbox 360; the trend will not go in favour of the PS3 anytime soon.

Arika
Aug 19, 2008, 10:27 AM
OH O,O tomeeboy has appeared!

wow, this topic draw out 2 people who never post any message for about a year also....

Tomeeboy
Aug 19, 2008, 11:15 AM
OH O,O tomeeboy has appeared!

wow, this topic draw out 2 people who never post any message for about a year also....

Hehe... Apparently I've been flying under the radar, because I've had nearly two hundred posts just in the last few months ;)

DreXxiN
Aug 19, 2008, 12:25 PM
In the US only, there are 4.5 million PS3 while there are 11 million Xbox 360, it is definitely not a good idea to deprive yourself from the largest player base.

That's the exact reason S-E decided to release FFXIII on Xbox 360; the trend will not go in favour of the PS3 anytime soon.

Pretty sure they'll cater to the system that's most popular in JP. If this wasn't true, PSU would never have been released on the PS2.

mll
Aug 19, 2008, 06:24 PM
Pretty sure they'll cater to the system that's most popular in JP. If this wasn't true, PSU would never have been released on the PS2.

But it doesn't mean they're going to ignore other systems / territories. If this wasn't true PSU would never have been released on the 360 / PC (sorry, couldn't resist)

This thread is absurd.
By making it a PS3 exclusive they immediately lose the vast majority of their 360 and pc customers. And what do they gain exactly?

No 3rd party company will make a title exclusive to one system unless
1) The can't due to hardware (say a wii-mote / memory restrictions)
2) One of the console developers pay them lots and lots and lots of money.

ThePendragon
Aug 19, 2008, 06:41 PM
Worst. Thread. Ever.

CHA0TIX
Aug 19, 2008, 06:47 PM
Worst. Thread. Ever.

EXP FULL

Hrith
Aug 19, 2008, 06:55 PM
There's even more PS2, in the USA =/

Ken_Silver
Aug 19, 2008, 07:16 PM
I don't think that it'd be a PS3 exclusive.

There'd be a PC version as well. I mean the Phantasy Star series (Post-IV) and PC jus mix together too well for them to change that.

Jinto117
Aug 19, 2008, 07:48 PM
Phantasy Star + Western Dev = Not Phantasy Star

So Metroid + Western Dev = Not Metroid?

Retro Studio's (based out of Texas) did an excellent job on the Metroid transition from 2-D to 3-D. After seeing what Sega (Japan division) has done to the last few Sonic games I have no confidence in them any longer. Recently the Sega of America president said that he would be proud if Sega could be as proficient as THQ. Now that's just sad.

Zantra
Aug 19, 2008, 07:58 PM
At most, we will see a PSP version 2, Plus, BB, etc.

That includes an offline episode 3 story mode, and the conclusion of the PSU story.

Any Phantasy Star we see (if any) on the PS3, will either be a port of PSU, or a brand new game altogether.

And, even if we do...

It won't be exclusive.

Pika
Aug 19, 2008, 11:04 PM
assuming they make another.......

the Phantasy Star series hasn't been exclusive since the Dreamcast with PSO, and PSO V2. why would they suddenly go back to being exclusive now? taking a giant step backwards never leads to anything good.

ShinobiGT
Aug 19, 2008, 11:23 PM
For me I think that the sequel for PSU will not only be an exclusive for the PS3 but for more than one platform. Not all people have a PS3. I would think that the creators of PSU want the most bank for their buck so they should release the game on multiple platforms. As a result it will help them reach more communities.

So in my opinion I highly doubt that they would be making the sequel for PSU an exclusive for PS3 because of how much success the game has in America and Japan.

Jian-Zero
Aug 20, 2008, 02:30 AM
Learning from the lessons in the past, SEGA will not tie or lock Phantasy Star into a single platform.

They may in fact, continue to support the PS2, but may make graphically optimized versions for the PS3 and 360. I believe they should include the Wii as well. If they support the PC, the next Phantasy Star might be running with Games for Windows and this will allow PC players to coexist and play with 360 users. The Wii, PS3, and PS2 users will be lumped into another server universe set.

-They will probably have to work better on the story line, and not come up something that sounds like generic anime or JRPG. For sex appeal for the otaku, something that SEGA realize but a bit too late, its better to cast a cute female lead rather than a male one with emo issues. Meaning Vivienne >>> Ethan Weber.

-I don't believe they will go with a true MMORPG game play and PvP. I think they will retain the game play that is already characteristic of PSU and PSU and so mimicked by other games like Monster Hunster. I believe that would be a good decision.

-They may probably support more of Sony's portable after PSP's success.

Ogni-XR21
Aug 20, 2008, 03:31 AM
My guess is that Sega will wait how Monster Hunter Tri will fare on Wii. After all it's the same demographic they adress with PSU... kind of.

Darsh
Aug 20, 2008, 03:40 AM
I think the PS3 will go down to $50 bucks before it gets exclusitivity to next psu. ;P But i understand we are just theorizing here. ;D

Ryudo
Aug 20, 2008, 01:27 PM
Online + Wii = No.
RPG + Wii = No.
Online RPG + Wii = Very no.

I think future expansions will be PS3/360/PC [robably requiring a hard drive going forward, same for a sequel

SubstanceD
Aug 20, 2008, 02:42 PM
I doubt the PSU sequel will be a PS3 exclusive. I don't see the logic in that.

Sega built PSU especially for the PS2 ( and ported it to the PC and the 360 ) because the PS2 has the largest user base out of all the current game consoles.

The reason why Sega ( Alpha Systems or whatever they are called ) made PS portable for the PSP is because Sega realised there was a market for a portable PSU/PSO and the PSP was the only poartable powerful enough to do the game justice even though the Nintendo DS user base makes the PSP one seem insignificant.

Quite frankly, As a PS3 owner myself, I don't think there are enough PS3 owners to justify that the next PSU is a PS3 exclusive. If anything, Sega might make a PSU for the Wii since it is the console that is selling well in all 3 territorries ( Japan, America and Europe ). Shame about Wii's stupid fucking controller.

Powder Keg
Aug 20, 2008, 02:46 PM
So, let's take a series with a smaller userbase than ever, and make it system-exclusive.

Nah.

ForteGunnerW
Aug 20, 2008, 04:56 PM
what its only coming on ps3?? thats bad. they should keep it on PC aswell

Psu on Wii would be awsome if they did that i would use it but i would like it to be on pc

Pika
Aug 20, 2008, 11:01 PM
Online + Wii = No.
RPG + Wii = No.
Online RPG + Wii = Very no.

I think future expansions will be PS3/360/PC [robably requiring a hard drive going forward, same for a sequel

why cant there be an RPG on the wii?

Powder Keg
Aug 20, 2008, 11:26 PM
I wouldn't mind having PS on the Wii, as long as Nintendo doesn't host the servers.

Anyone play Brawl online? Ugh.

Guitarsmasher
Aug 20, 2008, 11:53 PM
I wouldn't mind having PS on the Wii, as long as Nintendo doesn't host the servers.

Anyone play Brawl online? Ugh.

Nintendo would probably force friend codes on us :(
Someone needs to set Miyamoto straight on that part, otherwise it would be great.

And I brawl with Link :-D

ForteGunnerW
Aug 20, 2008, 11:54 PM
Lol i play brawl yeah i know laggy but PS would be good on wii
becuse you could like use the wii remote to hit with mellee weps and rangers to use the wii gun and forces could find a way

IKE FTW :)

gryphonvii
Aug 21, 2008, 12:10 PM
maybe bioware hould change the name of the KOTOR mmo they are working on to Phantasy Star

ForteGunnerW
Aug 21, 2008, 12:31 PM
maybe bioware hould change the name of the KOTOR mmo they are working on to Phantasy Star

Bioware will save us i know it They rock.

DarkLord Hades
Aug 21, 2008, 11:19 PM
I'm in complete & total agreement with this statement :beer: