PDA

View Full Version : Sweet Death

Eidolus_Dyne
Aug 20, 2008, 05:53 PM
Okay... maybe I'm not the first person to realize this, but hear me out. First of all, does anyone know what Sweet Death's name is on the Japanese game? Because if it's what I think it is, Sweet Death may be a reference to "death during consummation of love". I would be totally ecstatic if this turned out to be true, because... how hilarious! ...dang, I gotta synth myself a few more.

ashley50
Aug 20, 2008, 05:57 PM
Saw it as a default name on one of the weapons on Vagrant Story...

TecherRamen
Aug 20, 2008, 06:26 PM
The name sweet death is mythologically significant. In the Greek and Roman mythos, there is the story of Biton and Cleobis; two brothers. They honor their mother by yoking themselves to a carriage. Their mother rides in the carriage and they pull her to a far away town so that she can "see a most beautiful statue of the goddess at Argos". When they arrive, the mother prays to Hera at the statue that Hera would give her sons the "Best Gift in her Power". The mother returns to her sons to find them looking as though "they were peacefully asleep; But they were dead."

Information is taken from "Mythology" by Edith Hamilton. copyright 1942, 1969, 1998; Little Brown and Company