PDA

View Full Version : PSP, a gem or a flop?

ngagerebel
Aug 27, 2008, 07:29 PM
Ok so i finally got my copy of the Japanese version of PSP. so far I am really not all that impressed. but then again I know can only understand a little japanese so I got part of the conversations then I don't but graphically wise I am not impressed ive seen better looking games for the PSP. like God of war or Monster Hunter... everything else is the same (which I like cause I love PSU for pc and 360)... I do love the new intro and wish they... how ever I am pretty upset that if this does get ported to english. if they limit it to only PC and PS2 character downloads I will be mega pissed.

on that note I wanted to know what every else things of this... is it a gem or a flop?

pith
Aug 27, 2008, 08:33 PM
really?

D14BL0
Aug 28, 2008, 12:25 AM
It's a handheld port of a console game. I think they did a pretty damn good job, and I'm thoroughly impressed. The graphics are spectacular considering how much is going on at any given time during gameplay.

Sure, there's a few things that could have made it better, like trading. But all in all, it's a very solid game, even if you don't know a lick of Japanese.

Alizarin
Aug 28, 2008, 06:21 AM
I like it. It's essentially a more streamlined version of PSU AOI Offline with a multiplayer option and an assortment of unique goodies. It has 8 character slots, easier saving (compared to PSU Offline), statistic and weapon archiving for the completionists, milestones and titles to work towards, monthly downloadable content updates with plenty of potential to expand and extend the game (emphasis on "potential", it'll all depend on what Sega decides to do with it), and connectivity with PSU Online through a limited extent. All of this, while maintaining the same gameplay and nearly the same customization features that drew me to PSU in the first place.

Also, I am so glad they made all cut-scenes and event dialogues skippable. I really, really, really, really wish they would do the same for PSU Online.

In short, it's a gem with its own merits, considerations taken due to it being on a portable system. The transition was handled quite nicely with a different developer working on it.

DreXxiN
Aug 28, 2008, 01:37 PM
GAEMS R ALL ABOUT GRAFIX

PRTYT LITES LOLOL

It's coming to USA dude, don't worry about it :P

And shit, I have the demo and from what I've seen, it actually runs BETTER than on PS2, and I don't notice much graphical difference. If anything it's a better resolution than the PS2 because it's rendered in 16:9

Cracka_J
Aug 28, 2008, 02:46 PM
GAEMS R ALL ABOUT GRAFIX

PRTYT LITES LOLOL

It's coming to USA dude, don't worry about it :P

And shit, I have the demo and from what I've seen, it actually runs BETTER than on PS2, and I don't notice much graphical difference. If anything it's a better resolution than the PS2 because it's rendered in 16:9

I noticed that too, however, take into consideration the demo is being loaded off of a memory card. If you have experience with psp mods, you know first hand that the memory card will have no or next to no loading time. That makes a huge difference over the UMD load times, which may end up being quite different. I don't know, I don't have the full version.

Dragwind
Aug 28, 2008, 04:39 PM
I can't say much not having played the game myself, but from other's opinions and conversations, it certainly looks promising in my eyes. Just the fact of having the gameplay of PSU on the go, even if only half similar to the console/pc version, is enough to get the buy from me.

ngagerebel
Aug 28, 2008, 08:13 PM
Not to dog the port, its not what I really wanted to come across, I just wanted other people's opinions... I do like it how ever maybe it will be more enjoyable when they bring over to the US. I love the mini new cutscenese *doesn't make a big ol difference but its kinda makes it more enjoyable*
blah blah blah blah blah blah...

Mike
Aug 28, 2008, 08:55 PM
I noticed that too, however, take into consideration the demo is being loaded off of a memory card. If you have experience with psp mods, you know first hand that the memory card will have no or next to no loading time. That makes a huge difference over the UMD load times, which may end up being quite different. I don't know, I don't have the full version.

It was different in the demo. I have the UMD demo and the loading times were signifigantly longer than the memory stick version of the demo. You could entirely miss a SUV shot with the loading times. In defence, it only happens the first time you use the SUV during a mission and your are invincible while you sit and wait but you can end up wasting it.

D14BL0
Aug 28, 2008, 11:24 PM

Rip it to your memory card, then. I do that with all the games I own. The UMD is a horrible, HORRIBLE system and for such small files to transfer from the disc to RAM shouldn't take that long to load, so I put everything on my 4GB stick.

ngagerebel
Aug 29, 2008, 04:31 PM
Rip it to your memory card, then. I do that with all the games I own. The UMD is a horrible, HORRIBLE system and for such small files to transfer from the disc to RAM shouldn't take that long to load, so I put everything on my 4GB stick.

Thats what I do, I can't stand the loading time on the PSP its horrible that I love the longer battery life. hearing that little umd reader struggler to keep up is just horrid. why couldn't they do DS, memory in 1gb is alot cheaper than having to produce that litte thing.

SilverShadow117
Aug 29, 2008, 06:45 PM
Even though I dislike PSU I'm willing to get PSP, because I haven't been playing many portable games lately. What would be even better is if they put PSO on the psp, that would be great.

D1ABOLIK
Aug 30, 2008, 12:25 AM
Even though I dislike PSU I'm willing to get PSP, because I haven't been playing many portable games lately. What would be even better is if they put PSO on the psp, that would be great.

I agree. PSO on PSP would be epic. PSU is the next best thing though, even though its a very distant second. And alot of the stuff that was garbage in PSU has been removed in PSP, like synthesis.

Pandarino
Aug 30, 2008, 02:03 AM
I agree. PSO on PSP would be epic. PSU is the next best thing though, even though its a very distant second. And alot of the stuff that was garbage in PSU has been removed in PSP, like synthesis.

Agreed! I thought the synthesis was good but removnig it brought back the PSO feel. I am dong runs to hunt my items-not ingredents.

Chimeria
Sep 3, 2008, 07:08 AM
I dunno...I'm having the same feelings for this game as the one on PS2. It's fun, don't get me wrong but after a while, it just gets a bit boring. The rare drops are sometimes too easy t find especially on S-Rank missions. The only drop that was EXTREMELY hard for me to find was the damn Sange and Yasha. (Which kinda reminded me of Agito hunting on PSO.)

Even while playing online, I get a little bored. It's fun playing with others, seeing their weapons, skills, etc. but enemies are harder than bosees sometimes. bosses may take a few minutes to take out but a mob of monsters could take you down in a few hits. (like those things that shoot barta at you on Neudaiz.)

I have high hopes for the download quests though. The ones that have been released lately are okay I guess. I do like that long Nuedaiz one with the high level enemies. But hoepfully they get better. I really cannot stress how much I don't want rehashed missions in the same area with stronger monsters and different rewards (like monster hunter DL quests)

Maybe I'm expecting too much from a handheld game. lol. Like I said, it is fun. If you're going out and need a quick game to play this one is cool. It is a BIG step up from the PS2 version. It's like a love hate relationship with me.

ngagerebel
Sep 3, 2008, 07:43 PM
I dunno...I'm having the same feelings for this game as the one on PS2. It's fun, don't get me wrong but after a while, it just gets a bit boring. The rare drops are sometimes too easy t find especially on S-Rank missions. The only drop that was EXTREMELY hard for me to find was the damn Sange and Yasha. (Which kinda reminded me of Agito hunting on PSO.)

Even while playing online, I get a little bored. It's fun playing with others, seeing their weapons, skills, etc. but enemies are harder than bosees sometimes. bosses may take a few minutes to take out but a mob of monsters could take you down in a few hits. (like those things that shoot barta at you on Neudaiz.)

I have high hopes for the download quests though. The ones that have been released lately are okay I guess. I do like that long Nuedaiz one with the high level enemies. But hoepfully they get better. I really cannot stress how much I don't want rehashed missions in the same area with stronger monsters and different rewards (like monster hunter DL quests)

Maybe I'm expecting too much from a handheld game. lol. Like I said, it is fun. If you're going out and need a quick game to play this one is cool. It is a BIG step up from the PS2 version. It's like a love hate relationship with me.

now that I have played it alot longer, I am actually finding that I am playing this more that the xbox360 version. I just wish I knew other people in my area that play this that we could go to a cyber java cafe and play. lol I know uber nerd!!!

Errorrrr
Sep 6, 2008, 01:45 PM
As for the doing what DS does... DS' cards can barely fit a 256MB game... DS cards are 2Giga BITS which translates roughly to 256 megabytes... There is hardly ANY game on the PSP that fits in 256MB... That's why a Disc format is used for the PSP system instead of solid state ram type formats.

Overall, this game is pretty good so far albeit that they only seem to included 5 of the 9 advance types... and I have no idea why they did that :x

Akaimizu
Sep 8, 2008, 04:36 PM
Probably because they are much easier to balance out. The advance types they offer are sort of super-class versions of what they would be on the consoles. The Master Gunner is sort of like having a Fortegunner and giving them the tech use of the original Guntecher. (Or in a way, a super version of the offline ranger class).

So it's like you have the basic classes, and then you have the bigger better versions of them. Acromaster becoming a somewhat mixed but single hand weapon user and Protranser coming back as themselves but with access to Tech Staves.

To a certain degree, I think they probably didn't want to potentionally run into a tougher balance issue like what happens on the bigger console brethren. Sticking with the smaller number is a 'safer' decision.

ngagerebel
Sep 8, 2008, 06:51 PM
As for the doing what DS does... DS' cards can barely fit a 256MB game... DS cards are 2Giga BITS which translates roughly to 256 megabytes... There is hardly ANY game on the PSP that fits in 256MB... That's why a Disc format is used for the PSP system instead of solid state ram type formats.

Overall, this game is pretty good so far albeit that they only seem to included 5 of the 9 advance types... and I have no idea why they did that :x

true but MS in 1gig are now only like 20 bucks, back then they werent so cheap. but the one thing I dislike about the mini discs, and i am pretty sure everyone has this issue. is the case starts to come apart after many uses, and I had one jammed up in my PSP becauseit came apart thank god I was able to take it out without destroying the lens. I can understand why DS is not cost effective only because its proprietary and sometimes going a route like that aint cheap. but the thing is some games are larger than 256. like ff3 and chrystal chronicles...