PDA

View Full Version : has SEGA officailly responded to the lag crisis?

RufuSwho
Aug 28, 2008, 05:41 PM
hehe, i said lag crisis

its true though, if this isn't adressed it will cause many new players to simply call this game poop and move on.

for the longer standing players, well, we are all hooked anyway right, so who cares about us ;)

anyway, as far as new players go, it will effect SEGA's pocketbook in the long run

if anything is going to get SEGA to address this, you would think the potential loss of cash would do the trick

please link if you have heard anything official

Nitro Vordex
Aug 28, 2008, 06:00 PM
It might be your fault you're lagging you know.

Billy Mitchell
Aug 28, 2008, 06:04 PM
hehe, i said lag crisis

its true though, if this isn't adressed it will cause many new players to simply call this game poop and move on.

for the longer standing players, well, we are all hooked anyway right, so who cares about us ;)

anyway, as far as new players go, it will effect SEGA's pocketbook in the long run

if anything is going to get SEGA to address this, you would think the potential loss of cash would do the trick

please link if you have heard anything officialHow much apathy do they need to convey in order to convince you that they're apathetic? Because, you know, they're conveying quite a lot.

It might be your fault you're lagging you know.It might be your parents fault that you posted that.

pizzagirl
Aug 28, 2008, 06:09 PM
Are you talking about lag or slowdown?

ulyoth
Aug 28, 2008, 06:28 PM
Or maybe the question you should be asking is : Has anyone told them about it?
It is terrible in some places, Flowery Pursuit in particular. When playing through all the GBR missions i restart my xbox after that mission, otherwise its unplayable afterwards.

Guitarsmasher
Aug 28, 2008, 06:45 PM
I only notice lag/slow down a few days a week. After maintenance it usually clears up for me. But lag has to always be expected occasionally, but if it happens all the time to you, it might be on your end. Internet is very unpredictable, Sega can have the best servers technology can offer and you can have a 100mb/sec triple optic fiber connection and you'll still see lag sometimes. It's very inevitable.

RegulusHikari
Aug 28, 2008, 06:55 PM
I experienced very short bursts of lag the day of the update, but since then I haven't had any problems. A lot of my buds can vouch for that as well. The problem is most likely you.

And for the record:
Lag =/= Slowdown. Slowdown isn't Sega's fault.

A2K
Aug 28, 2008, 07:03 PM
Or maybe the question you should be asking is : Has anyone told them about it?
It is terrible in some places, Flowery Pursuit in particular. When playing through all the GBR missions i restart my xbox after that mission, otherwise its unplayable afterwards.

Flowery Pursuit, unlike, say, Sacred Stream, doesn't actually trigger the well-known robot slowdown glitch. It's just plain old bad performance in the mission itself followed by the fireworks lobby.

landman
Aug 28, 2008, 07:12 PM
The fireworks lobby doesn't slowdown when you just log, in, if you see slowdowns here it is because you have "robot slowdown"

Neith
Aug 28, 2008, 08:08 PM
Must be on 360 I guess (or isolated on PC/PS2), because I haven't had any problems (aside from the very occasional lag spike, which is normal for me) on PC/PS2.

It does depend whether you mean lag (latency) or slowdown though. If it's slowdown, adjust your settings, unless you're on PS2 or Xbox 360, in which case I have no idea what you can do. If it's lag though, and it's persistent only in PSU, get in touch with Sega Support and try and get it sorted out. As for myself though, I haven't had any problems whatsoever.

DarkEliteRico
Aug 28, 2008, 10:15 PM
I experienced very short bursts of lag the day of the update, but since then I haven't had any problems. A lot of my buds can vouch for that as well. The problem is most likely you.

And for the record:
Lag =/= Slowdown. Slowdown isn't Sega's fault.
How is graphical slowdown not their fault when it's a specific mission that has bursts of it, they haven't even addressed the robot issue very well since it's still there.

I'm sure they could fairly easily issue a patch to fix some of the memory leak issues with the robots but their either too lazy or don't know what the fuck their doing....just see how they were asking PLAYERS how to do a glitch to attempt to take care of it. Nearly 2 years of robo slowdown and counting...

It's like game makers putting out products with "known issues" out and putting out a patch to fix it AFTER the fact that thousands of customers call/mail in bitching and screaming ala tiger woods and so forth...

Love the game but HATE their support. :-x

Dark Emerald EXE
Aug 28, 2008, 10:21 PM
I havent had a"SeverE" issue with the lag. there was one time where in flowery pursuit and sacred stream where it seems like im walking in slow motion while everyone is movin faster. Its like using chaos control on someone(except the party did it to me) XD for those who played sonic adventures 2/ 2 Battle then you would know what im talking bout.

That was the only time i had to restart my 360

RemiusTA
Aug 28, 2008, 10:38 PM
They havent, and even if they do, it will never be fixed.

This far in the games lifespan, they really dont give a damn who lags and who doesnt. You're still paying to play the game, and there are plenty of people who can live with it / play on PC. They can cut losses and still come out fine.

Dont count on it ever being fixed. Either switch to PC, upgrade, ect ect. If they havent fixed it by now, the devs have absolutely no plan of doing so. It isnt like anyone in japan plays on 360 anyway.

Crimson Rappy
Aug 28, 2008, 10:47 PM
I also seem to experience severe lag and/or slowdown in the GBR missions and the GBR lobbies on Neudaiz.

desturel
Aug 29, 2008, 12:07 AM
Nearly 2 years of robo slowdown and counting...

To be fair, the robot glitch didn't start happening until AotI with the upgraded graphics. I ran Grove at least 500 times prior to the expansion with no slowdown at all. So we are just coming up on the first year anniversary of the robot slowdown in a few months.

I also seem to experience severe lag and/or slowdown in the GBR missions and the GBR lobbies on Neudaiz.

The slowdown of Flowery Pursuit is because they did a hack job on the map. They are running the Demons Above map and overlaying it with the new skin. I had a glitch once where for the first block of FP it was using the old Mizuraki Defense/Demons Above/Moonlight Beast/Story Mission 1 skin. That block had no slowdown. Then on the second block it switched back to the pink flower petals and there was slowdown.

It's the same thing with the neudaiz lobby. They load the normal daytime map, then overlay the night one on top of it. Since the system is processing two lobbies at once, there is slowdown.

Because they were so half-assed in creating the maps there's likely no way to "patch" it. The robot bug, on the other hand, they should be able to handle with a patch. But it seems like they have a massive amount of "don't give a damn" in their blood.

Crimson Rappy
Aug 29, 2008, 12:44 AM
That makes sense. If only they put more effort into making the maps, this problem wouldn't be happening.

Tetsaru
Aug 29, 2008, 12:50 AM
Lol... Sega and their reskins. They'll have to learn eventually. =/

But on-topic, I haven't been experiencing any lag lately... Maybe the occasional slowdown when some of the full-party battles get a little intense with bright graphics and stuff flying everywhere, but that's about it. Of course, I'm on PC. =P

Crimson Rappy
Aug 29, 2008, 01:05 AM
I could be experiencing lag in random locations on the GBR missions that last for about 10 seconds.

Brainwrecked
Aug 29, 2008, 02:17 AM
The slowdown of Flowery Pursuit is because they did a hack job on the map. They are running the Demons Above map and overlaying it with the new skin. I had a glitch once where for the first block of FP it was using the old Mizuraki Defense/Demons Above/Moonlight Beast/Story Mission 1 skin. That block had no slowdown. Then on the second block it switched back to the pink flower petals and there was slowdown.

OK, now THAT explains it! Instead of one layer of pixmaps, there's two. Wow.

It's the same thing with the neudaiz lobby. They load the normal daytime map, then overlay the night one on top of it. Since the system is processing two lobbies at once, there is slowdown.

Actually, not processing two lobbies at once, but rather one set of polygons with two pixmaps. I can confirm this as I had a bit of lag and briefly saw the regular Neudaiz lobby. (Loading screen --> Brief flash of regular lobby --> quick black screen again --> Neudaiz Fireworks lobby.)

Flowery Pursuit, unlike, say, Sacred Stream, doesn't actually trigger the well-known robot slowdown glitch. It's just plain old bad performance in the mission itself followed by the fireworks lobby.

Yes, it does, but it's a much more gradual process. Start in fireworks lobby and note the relatively small amount of slowdown. Finish Flowery Pursuit and come back to the fireworks lobby. You now have SEVERE slowdown.

My guess? Now that I know of the double-pixmap thing, I'll wager a stack of meseta that only one layer of pixmapping is being properly released from memory while the other simply gets de-referenced and lost forever. Come to think of it though, COG missions are reskins of Grove missions, but they never lag. Wonder if they're properly single-mapped?

Edit: More pondering, perhaps there's some code for PS2 and/or PC that does some automatic garbage collection (freeing of memory no longer referenced) that didn't/couldn't get properly ported to the 360. Otherwise, eventually, these players would experience the slowdown as well.

DarkEliteRico
Aug 29, 2008, 08:16 AM
They havent, and even if they do, it will never be fixed.

This far in the games lifespan, they really dont give a damn who lags and who doesnt. You're still paying to play the game, and there are plenty of people who can live with it / play on PC. They can cut losses and still come out fine.

Dont count on it ever being fixed. Either switch to PC, upgrade, ect ect. If they havent fixed it by now, the devs have absolutely no plan of doing so. It isnt like anyone in japan plays on 360 anyway.

Thought about going back to PC, but with my working schedule it's hard to find and keep a good group. Loosing everything I own to have nothing on PC doesn't sound good to me either that's a lot of time and love into my characters.

I got off PC mostly because of the first generation of haxesta/item hacks and the fact my laptop only moderately ran it. I should reinstall and test it again since i've taken care of a few of the issues

RegulusHikari
Aug 29, 2008, 09:00 AM
Rico, I meant random bursts of slowdown caused in places other than the known 360-robot lag. Slowdown isn't induced by the server, it's induced your processor/card's inability to keep up with your settings.

The robot slowdown IS Sega's fault, but it isn't fixable on the fly like server lag is. I should have been more clear.

DarkEliteRico
Aug 29, 2008, 10:05 AM
Rico, I meant random bursts of slowdown caused in places other than the known 360-robot lag. Slowdown isn't induced by the server, it's induced your processor/card's inability to keep up with your settings.

The robot slowdown IS Sega's fault, but it isn't fixable on the fly like server lag is. I should have been more clear.

I know it wouldn't be fixable on the fly like slowdown is, but honestly why couldn't they modify the animations of the robots in some way so people wouldn't get that horrible issue, hell get rid of the explosion and keep the animation. If they could nerf areas where most people AFK lvl bullets by removing spawns why shouldn't they be able to do something like that with a more pressing issue that's been around MUCH longer and actually effects gameplay

RegulusHikari
Aug 29, 2008, 10:21 AM
I know it wouldn't be fixable on the fly like slowdown is, but honestly why couldn't they modify the animations of the robots in some way so people wouldn't get that horrible issue, hell get rid of the explosion and keep the animation. If they could nerf areas where most people AFK lvl bullets by removing spawns why shouldn't they be able to do something like that with a more pressing issue that's been around MUCH longer and actually effects gameplay

You want the straight truth? Because in Japan, where all the coding is planned and done for this game, they don't give 2 shits about the Xbox. And SoA isn't about to go out of their way to do something SoJ didn't already give them the clearance to do.

Ryno
Aug 29, 2008, 10:33 AM
They should also fix that Rod glitch...

Because when I cast a technic
it makes a movment and attacks at the same time.. but also slows it down.. when i want to cast another technic..

I remember when psu came out it had the movment "bow" while casting a technic with a wand now its with a rod but with a diffrent moving action...lol

RufuSwho
Aug 29, 2008, 11:46 AM
hmm, so then the answer so far is.. No, Sega has not issued any statement

true that restarting router/xbox can help with slowdown

it does seem that something could be done about the robots?

just read a thread about the difficulties of programming, not too sure how to link to another thread yet tho

seems that PC is less effected by this type a problem, hmmm

relentless
Aug 29, 2008, 12:32 PM
Yeah, 360 is the one having the main problems like the Grinder glitch (I think it's still there?), MGG, shop glitch, slowdown etc.

Quote from Ruby from suckboards:

I agree that the current stuff deserves the attention right now - we've been sending over a number of issues and glitches to the team that we feel deserve attention first. (Robot slowdown on 360, Mechgun/Shop glitch, etc.)

Then you have the smaller things like Senten Kaizen-Ga being priced wrong when purchased, or the description on the PA frags - far from game breaking, but still worth fixing to improve the game.

I'm sure some players will shout the 'No hope!' woes as usual, and to be fair I can partly see where they're coming from. However, even if a good idea is not guaranteed, I'm not about to give up on it just because a few people think it isn't likely. I'll look into this, and if it's doable, we'll see if we can make this happen. :)

edit:
http://boards2.sega.com/psu_board/viewtopic.php?t=86630 (11th post)
Read the thread if you want to know what he meant with "make this happen".

RegulusHikari
Aug 29, 2008, 12:47 PM
*Applauds*

I agree with Ruby 100%. Sure, people say that all those complaints are small and don't matter, but they add up and detract from the game as a whole. I don't care if a PA costs 1 more PP than it's supposed to, the game should function the way it was designed in every aspect.

Anyone who is truly good at what they do NEVER settle for 'good enough'. They settle for perfect.

Andy1423
Aug 29, 2008, 12:50 PM
The thing that really confuses me, is that when this game first came out, the Robots in Grove of Fanatics didn't cause lag. (from what I remember 2 years ago) Now it does?

So whats up with that.

I really can't understand why lag isn't apperent to the Ps2/PC's but it is on the 360, which by most causes is a supieror processing machine.

My only guess is what RegulusHikari basically said.

Japan doesn't give a %&^# about xbox. (Sega at least)......those d bags

*Applauds*

I agree with Ruby 100%. Sure, people say that all those complaints are small and don't matter, but they add up and detract from the game as a whole. I don't care if a PA costs 1 more PP than it's supposed to, the game should function the way it was designed in every aspect.

Anyone who is truly good at what they do NEVER settle for 'good enough'. They settle for perfect.

I also %100 agree!!!

I've said this many times, people that claim programming a game is like rocket science are just ignorant. Yes, it's difficult for you the joe shmoe, but an employee of Sega has been doing what they do for a long time, and they have to be good at it or they wouldn't have a job!

I'll use bungie agian, as an example of a company that puts blood sweat and tears into something till it's darn near perfect. (Blizzard too). Sega just hasn't proven yet that they have the Bar set high for themselves.

MooCowPirate
Aug 29, 2008, 03:49 PM
I can almost guarantee the lag associated with Flower Pursuit is strictly visual lag. I tested this a few times, if I look down the entire mission (reducing the landscape and cherry blossom visuals) I get no lag at all. Why you should have to do that is beyond me, but it does fix the lagging (for me anyway). Sacred Stream on the other hand, your guess is as good as mine. The look down method works fine for a little while, but on certain maps it goes crazy.

Nitro Vordex
Aug 29, 2008, 09:39 PM
There's less things to render on screen, I think is why it doesn't lag. I did that when I still played on PC.

desturel
Aug 30, 2008, 06:28 PM
Sacred Stream on the other hand, your guess is as good as mine. The look down method works fine for a little while, but on certain maps it goes crazy.

Sacred Stream is different. You are confusing the robot issue with the redraw issue. Maps with long draw distances that are re-skins of other maps (Flowery Pursuit, Seal of the Dark God, etc) are just poor programming issues. If you look at similarly redone missions that have walls that limit the draw distance (Lonely Lab, White Beast), there isn't as big of a problem.

The problem with Sacred Stream, Grove of Fanatics, Desert Goliath, and so on isn't a draw distance issue. It's a memory leak bug. Certain maps cause a memory leak. That combined with large draw distances on some map (big hallway in sacred stream. Large Cavern in Desert Goliath) makes for a compounded slowdown issue.

The PS2 is likely also affected by the random spots of slowdown in the redone maps, but they aren't affected by the robot bug because the memory leaks aren't present. The PC is likely affected by the slowdown as well, but it's less noticeable because a PC has more processing power at it's disposal in general.

BahnKnakyu
Aug 30, 2008, 10:42 PM
The reason why PS2/PC users don't experience this issue on Flowery Pursuit/map reskins as much as XCrate360 is because the 360 is in permanent FS0 mode. Whenever the game tries to process an area that's a bit too much for it to handle (and it's the game's fault, not the 360's for having such shoddily coded software), since the game has NO ABILITY TO AUTOFRAMESKIP the game is forced to render every single frame, whether you like it or not.

This happens if you try to play FS0 on a machine that cannot handle it on PC. PS2 users play on permanent FS1, so it's not as noticeable. Go try it for yourself. Install PSU on a low-mid range PC, run in FS0 and try to play a "pretty" map. Notice the slowdown? Turn down the graphics options and switch to FS1 - lag normally disappears because the game isn't forced to render 60 frames per second.

Of course, the problem with playing in FS1 is that you end up with a completely different game. Anga Jabroga goes half as far, bullets don't travel as far, some PAs don't hit correctly, etc.