PDA

View Full Version : With PSP 3000 Coming Around The Corner...

deso123
Aug 28, 2008, 07:46 PM
I have a funny feeling that PSP isn't close to dead meaning that games wont soon stop being produced for the PSP. I have this odd feeling that not only will there be a second version of Phantasy Star for the PSP but that there will be an online version to look forward to. This is just my dreams though. Feel free to call me an idiot who needs to stop speculating.

Mike
Aug 28, 2008, 09:00 PM
It's always possible. Socom:FTB has a great online setup with lobbies, mail, message boards, clans, friend lists, the works. It is also a Sony game so there is the money there to run that kind of server. If Sega put enough money behind PSP, I'm sure we could have a nice online setup that would be ruined by cheaters.

D14BL0
Aug 28, 2008, 11:20 PM
It really depends on what Sega's going to do with it. Phantasy Star isn't really a huge seller. For them to make another PS game for the PSP is going to be a bit of a stab in the dark, because it's really hit or miss with PS. PSO did well for the Dreamcast, but look at the recent remakes. The online support just wasn't there and that's what killed the GC/XBOX/PC versions. Sadly, this may very well kill the PSP versions, as well. The only support really sucks.

Now, if Sega got their act together and made a good game AND gave it good support, then they may have something worth working for, but right now I really don't think it's in their best interest to invest in another PS game for the PSP any time soon.

Cracka_J
Aug 29, 2008, 08:28 AM
I just don't get why sony feels the need to release a new psp model every year now.

It seems that this model only sports a bit better LCD and built-in mic over the PSP2000, but it's still rather disappointing to hear, when I bought both the original PSP and the 2000 at launch. I was hoping the 2000 would at least run 2 years like the original model...guess that's out the window now.

Regardless, you can probably tell I'm still happy with my 2000 model and don't really see the need to upgrade after a year of owning it. I think sony needs to shift their focus from revamping the system every year to actually releasing quality games on it. I think the last game I even picked up for it was the FFT remake, which was almost a year ago now. That's really not enough to keep me interested in the system.

D14BL0
Aug 29, 2008, 02:54 PM
I just don't get why sony feels the need to release a new psp model every year now.

Piracy. The Phat model was too easy to hack and install CFW, so they changed up the structure with the Slim. They really didn't expect people to be able to use what's almost exactly the same method on a Slim as they did with the Phats.

So the 3000 is going to have an entirely redesigned hardware/software structure than the previous models, which is going to make it more difficult to hack (but not impossible).

Zarode
Aug 29, 2008, 04:20 PM
If the batteries are the same... :wacko:

thematesV2
Aug 29, 2008, 04:26 PM
nothing is impossible to hack, it just takes brainpower and time... I think that Sega could make games so much better by adding in more online interaction.... instead of having the 2 networks (4 with psp) be different networks all together, allow certain levels of interaction between them... I know this may not work right now because of programming and tech differences, but it would be a great way to improve on the PSU system... if they could get all the systems together, allow PSP to play (in some way) with PC PS2 and 360...

that would make more PSP games worthwhile.. and more console games too.

Pandarino
Sep 2, 2008, 04:59 PM
After its huge succes on the Jp market I would be surprised if PSP doesn't get a upgrade/sequel. It's almost granted.

Mike
Sep 2, 2008, 05:14 PM
And we must remember, it's only been out for a month or two. There's still a fair bit of life in the DLC so we shouln't expect a sequel yet.

Calibur
Sep 2, 2008, 10:26 PM
And we must remember, it's only been out for a month or two. There's still a fair bit of life in the DLC so we shouln't expect a sequel yet.

yeah, now that the PSP will connect directly into the Playstation Store new DLC for the game makes sense.

Sony is also going for the universal ID thing, so my guess is somewhere down the line the PSP will use the PSN login for online gaming (which is not easy to hack in and the few cases are banned from the service like Xbox Live/PS3 PSN) that would make Phantasy Star Portable a nice experience.